Making sense of the current 27″ 1440p ~144hz IPS segment

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 301 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    PCMuser

Using different panels on the same monitor should be illegal. These are the two panels used in the HP x27q and the difference, at least in screen coating, is HUGE:.Hopefully the G2724d uses only the AUO panel.

Momchil

I actually do prefer the 25% Haze? matte coating of the LG 27GN800, RTINGS gave it “[8.2] Reflections”
        But I’m not sure if there is such 27″ 1440p 144 Hz monitors with such coating anymore… not sure about G2724D?

PCM2

‘25% haze’ is pretty much the default (almost placeholder) ‘measurement’ given for matte panels, but is an unreliable indicator of screen surface reflection handling or how ‘light’ the screen surface is in practice. That is quite typical glare or reflection handling for recent BOE panels from what I’ve seen. The G2724D uses an AUO panel possibly exclusively which typically have ‘lighter’ screen surfaces with weaker glare or reflection handling. The VX2728J-2K is one to focus on if you like matte surfaces with stronger diffusion, so sharper glare patches are less likely to form.

Momchil

Thank you for the information, but is it any good VX2780J-2K in the other aspects as ips glow/bleeding/Interlace pattern artifacts? sRGB mode / color accuracy?
            There are not much in-depth reviews… but it is available in Bulgaria at the cost of 300 euro. I could try it.

PCM2

I was actually referring to the VX2728J-2K (which I’m currently reviewing as noted earlier in this thread), not the VX2780J-2K. Based on specifications, they don’t use the same panel.

Roostyla

Hello!

I thought I would post here as its relevant and an active thread, I purchased a Dell S2719DGF a few years ago on this websites advice and been very happy with it. However I’m looking to upgrade after seeing a friends Dell 2721DGF in action.. My focus is on improving the white ghosting on the S2719DGF and better colours. ( I run ICC profile and NVIDIA Digital Vibrance at 66% ) My understanding is a move from an older TN to modern IPS should solve this. Also my current monitor is not Gsync rated and playing DCS with head tracking the framerate fluctuates a lot so there may be improvement there.

I have narrowed it down to these 3 choices

ALIENWARE AW2724DM – £325
                Dell G2724D – £233
                MSI MAG274QRF-QD – £250

Are then any specific features, considerations to elevate one above the other or points of researched i’ve may have missed? I have noted the prices i’m looking at (I have small discount on the Dell ones)

If there is something else I should shortlist feel free to let me know!

Cheers

Momchil

Yes, my bad, but I cannot find VX2728J-2K, there is only VX2780J available here as for now.

PCM2

Hi Roostyla – your name does sound familiar!

I don’t really think you can make a ‘wrong choice’ with any of those monitors, they will all provide a significant upgrade from your S2719DGF in terms of vibrancy, colour consistency and lower overshoot. I think you’ll find other areas such as the overall build quality, contrast performance and how they look and feel when gaming just fine on any of these models as well. I feel a key consideration here might be the level of vibrancy you’re after. The MAG274QRF-QD‘s Quantum Dot backlight makes it quite a ‘special’ monitor, with excellent coverage of both Adobe RGB and DCI-P3. It also has a range of emulation modes which you can easily access to cut down on the saturation a bit (but not right down to sRGB levels if you don’t want that) and find a look that you find suitable (relevant thread).

The AW2724DM has the mid-range gamut, good DCI-P3 coverage (~95%) but lower than the MSI plus lower Adobe RGB coverage (so less vibrancy for greens and cyans in particular). The G2724D on the other hand has the narrowest gamut, ~86% DCI-P3. It still offers a wider gamut in most regions or let’s say a more well-rounded gamut than your current Dell and when you factor in the far superior colour consistency of the IPS vs. TN panel, it’s able to maintain its vibrancy much better throughout the screen.

MarzoK

@ Roostyla: i don´t understand, why you only consider especially these 3 models?

The MSI comes with Quantum-Dot and has very wide gammut, while the AUO 8.2 also performs very well in terms of pixel response. Its one of the beste gaming Monitors.
                      The 2 DELL Monitors on the other hand haven´t been tested professionally so there is really no reason for considering them? Especially the Alienware may also use 2 panels simultaniously, which is newer a good situation……

–> i´am german and i don´t knew your UK market that good, but if the MSI is that cheap, you should definitely choose it, becaus its normally way more expensive. But there are other great Monitor like LG 27GP850P or Lenovo Y27h-30 which can be an option.

@ savingstimes: i forgot to mention: The LG SSB1-panel is also used in the AOC Agon Pro AG275QXPD on chinese market. It performs well.

@ Momchil: its confirmed the VX2780J-2K is using the InnoLux M270KCJ-K7B Panel, so this monitor only should be considered if its way cheaper than other Budget-Options like HP OMEN 27q or LG 27GN800 in your country……at least if you are focus on response times.

Roostyla

You have a great memory PCM2! Thanks for the speedy reply, Ill be honest i’m not too familiar with a lot of the terms you have used there for colour so I shall go away and do some learning and research on those areas mentioned and get a better understanding.

I noted I made a mistake I definitely cant get the MSI for 250, its 350. The RRP of £420 for the AW2724DM that does seem overpriced, is there any features that would justify it or is it the ‘new product on the market tax’ that we are seeing.

PCM2

MarcoZ – As you are tracking panels, does the 27GP850P-B use the same Nano IPS with weak contrast as the 27GP850-B? Only the latter is available in the US, for example. I would again stress that the OMEN 27q uses two channels interchangeably, so if you dislike that situation for the Alienware you should also dislike it for the HP.

Roostyla – Some recommended reading if you’re unfamiliar with this terminology – “What to Look For in a Gaming Monitor” and perhaps if you want a deeper dive “Guide to Colour Critical Monitors”. I thought you made an error with the MAG274QRF-QD price, though I thought maybe you were looking at a used example. It’s covered extensively on the forum (earlier on this thread and the other I linked to) and it’s clearly a strong all-round performer and unique product. Hence the clear recommendation. As for the AW2424DM and whether it’s worth its RRP or paying more for compared to some other options, my personal opinion is “no” unless you love the styling and branding and want to pay for that, or just like the extra HDR brightness even without any concern for a proper HDR contrast experience. That’s the exact topic of the thread titled “Is the Dell Alienware AW2724DM good value?”

Momchil

Hello again, I’m kind of in a dead end. I’m currently using ASUS PA278QV and in terms of IPS panel defects is impressive, just a little worried about ~20kHz PWM.
                            The only real downside for a competitive gaming is that is 75 Hz. I play CS GO a lot and I really miss those 144 Hz, and I hate the fact that I can afford one, but at the cost of too many possible downsides such as severe IPS glow, artifacts and (gray) uniformity and poor contrast. But I do really like this monitor. I can still return it and try something else.

The only 144 Hz IPS I tried had all of these issues (LG 27GN800-B), so I couldn’t handle them all, but I do really miss the motion clarity. The PA278QV feels very slow in CS GO… which is basically the only real downside. I also tried Agon 165 Hz VA monitor, returned it on the next day due to the gamma/black shift and the very poor viewing angles.

Just not sure if all 144 Hz+ monitors are like this or there is acceptable one at this price range $250-300. Let’s say I don’t care about the coating anymore…

I’m looking for a acceptable level of glow (like on the PA278QV), the contrast could be a little lower and preferable no <100 Hz artifacts since I also play single player games like BeamNG, which doesn’t run at 144 fps and the artifacts are always visible. I prefer refresh rate matching frame rates instead of doubling the Hz. But top priority is an acceptable level of IPS glow since I sit close and it’s always visible.

Should I just give up on 144 Hz+ 27″, which in general are more flawed due to it’s nature and settle with 75 Hz 27″?

It’s a very hard choice, since I have only one monitor and cannot afford a dual setup.

Am I going crazy or it is possible to notice the ~20 kHZ PWM flickering on the PA278QV … or it’s one of these things once pointed out, you always think about them…

MarzoK

@PCM2 There was a reddit Thrad, were someone asked LG, and they “confirmed” it use the same panel –> its only more efficient. But maybe they also use the newest NANO IPS (4th Gen SSC2). Iam not really sure, but both panels are great of cause.
                              i think you are more expert than me^^ i hoping to finish my “List” with some help. PS: do you already know the Panel of the VX2728J-2K?

–> yes i know, its the BOE NF5 and LG SSB3 für HP OMEN 27q…..i also don´t like these “politics”, especially because there are coating differences. But therefore its very cheap and has great price performance ratio –> its an other thing for such a premium model like alienware…

PCM2

Momchil,
                                20kHz PWM isn’t something you’d “see” actively, but it can affect viewing comfort. Then again so can many things. There’s nothing particularly special about the level of ‘IPS glow’ on the PA278QV, but as noted in our reviews it’s something that is brought out more strongly if a monitor has issues with backlight bleed and clouding. I wouldn’t give up on 144Hz+ models just because you’ve tried a single poor IPS model. Plenty of the models mentioned in this thread are good performers in many areas and should be in-line with the ASUS for things you mentioned, though you’re always at the mercy of the uniformity lottery.

MarzoKl,
                                The VX2728J-2K‘s panel is listed in an odd way but it’ll be the BOE ME270QHD-NF0 CELL with custom backlight.

Momchil

Thanks for the answer, the only thing I notice is when I close my eyes (after looking at the screen for some time) and there is some high speed flickering inside my head. Maybe it’s completely normal, but since it’s pointed out that it has this high 20 kHz PWM … probably nothing to do with that. Anyway.

What do you think about the MSI G274QPF-QD?
                                  Or which one you recommend as close as PA278QV, but with 144 Hz+? Like which brands to avoid… (LG for sure).

I think I want to try some other Asus (VG27AQ1A is too dim at SDR), Dell G2724D, ViewSonic VX2728J-2K, GIGABYTE G27Q-EK, MSI G274QPF-QD, maybe Philips 27M1N5500ZA…

It’s stressing, because I returned two monitors already (including one Lenovo 24″ 1440p, but too small, needed scaling, didn’t like it much).
                                  I ordered them from different stores, so I hope it won’t annoy them too much. 2 returns from same store is ok I guess…

PCM2

The G274QPF-QD is a pretty good monitor in some respects. I know it’s more expensive, but I still prefer the MAG274QRF-QD which I view as more “special” and unique plus a bit stronger in areas such as contrast. This comparison thread might be helpful and should also come up if you type the model code into the forum search facility.

Momchil

The MAG274QRF-QD is not available in Bulgaria… but now when I think about it I want to avoid Quantum Dots or NanoIPS, I prefer natural colors, not vibrant. Like the ones on the PA278QV.

Maybe I should try GIGABYTE G27Q-EK as is to some extend confirmed that it has no interlace pattern artifacts – https://www.rtings.com/discussions/CKVfEjUocbD8KeRJ/interlace-pattern-artifacts-at-60hz

Or GIGABYTE M27Q, but rev. 2 (if I can find it), because rev. 1 have BGR subpixel layout (I have tried mounting 27GN800-B upside down on my desk mount and it looked terrible). But the rev. 2 has different panel, idk. I might go insane trying to make sense of this segment.

But it’s better to wait for the review of the Dell G2724D… I will be returning the ASUS ProArt tomorrow. I paid 385 euro for it, which is my max of a budget.
                                      And if they import ViewSonic VX2728J-2K to Bulgaria… cannot find it anywhere. I guess I could buy it from Amazon, but the return process could be terrible… so I guess I will wait.

PCM2

With 86% DCI-P3, I certainly think the G2724D is worth trying out or waiting to learn more about given your preferences. The problem with reviewers assessing or commenting on ‘interlace pattern artifacts’ (particularly retrospectively) is that not everyone notices them, especially when not looking out for them. So the RTINGS reviewer saying they “didn’t notice them” (though didn’t specifically test for them) on the G27Q doesn’t mean an awful lot.

Momchil

So I guess such artifacts are present to some degree on most budget monitors of this segment…
                                          Ok, thank you, I guess I will try some monitors and will be happy to write my impressions here.

vonvorter

Any info on the panel the VX2728J-2k uses?

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 301 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.