MSI G274QPF-QD vs. MAG274QRF-QD

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    PCM2

I’m just going to share a few observations based on the Tim of Monitors Unboxed YouTube review of the MSI G274QPF-QD. A few observations:

– Not as well-tuned as MAG274QRF-QD in terms of pixel responses. At a setting which gives comparable speed to the ‘MAG’ variant, this one provides higher overshoot levels. Whilst Tim considered this ‘acceptable’ at 170Hz, I’m not sure I’d agree with such an overarching recommendation. Based on pursuit photos alone I have some concerns. That leaves the ‘Normal’ setting which he recommended for any refresh rate, but also noted even for 120Hz it’s slower than it could be. I feel the ‘MAG’ model has an edge here which could be significant depending on sensitivity.

– Input lag is similarly low.

– QD backlight solution doesn’t provide as much extension for greens and cyans, so ~94% Adobe RGB recorded vs. ~100%. A DCI-P3 gamut of ~98% was recorded, so this is still a vibrant experience but not to the extent of the ‘MAG’ variant.

– Gamma a bit lower than the target ‘2.2’ curve overall, but not terrible. Averages ~2.05 but closer for dark and very bright shades.

Reasonable sRGB emulation included (better gamma tracking than using native gamut mode) with additional clamps for DCI-P3 and Adobe RGB.

– 78 nits minimum brightness could be too high for some.

– Contrast of 936:1 recorded, a bit on the disappointing side for a model that avoids using a Nano IPS panel.

Given all this, I would still recommend the MAG274QRF-QD over this one – particularly if the price gulf isn’t huge in your local market. I certainly feel it’s worth paying more for. The MSI is a model I’ve discussed in a few threads, including this one and this one.

gizmotaiwan

I was strongly thinking of purchasing the MSI G274QPF-QD.
        Glad I found your review.
        I would get the RF, but it is priced way too high in my region.
        I am considereing one other option that is nearly identical in specs and would like your opinion or anyone’s opinion.
        ASUS 27 2K HDR VG27AQL1A

My needs:
        27 inch
        1440p
        good refresh rate above 70hz
        IPS is a must, Rapid IPS is even better
        The ability to go verticle

What it will be used for:
        Every day office work: MS Office + Light Image Editing + Internet Browsing
        Casual Gaming
        Streaming Video Content: Netflix etc

PCM2

I’ve made a few comments on the VG27AQL1A in this post. It isn’t a model I’d recommend as strongly as some others, but it could still fit the bill if you’re happy with its pricing in your region.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.