MSI MAG274QRF-QD sRGB emulation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.

• Author
    Hanon

Hello, I’ve purchased this amazing MSI monitor and I’m currently doing some testing. This is the best IPS monitor I have owned to date. It has a 8-frc bit panel with great visuals, minimal backlight bleed, great matte panel finish, insane response times, good adjustable stand… It has everything I ever wanted for a non FALD monitor. This monitor can do the following:

– 100% sRGB coverage (170% gamut volume).
    – 97% aRGB coverage (114% gamut volume).
    – 98% DCI-P3 coverage (116% gamut volume).

The only problem I see with the monitor is it doesn’t have an sRGB clamp profile in the OSD: I contacted MSI Spain to ask if they could add the sRGB clamp via software and they told me they would look into it and that usually, monitors that have more than 100% sRGB gamut volume have an sRGB clamp option. They also told me they would investigate it since I reported this monitor doesn’t have that option. In the meanwhile I use the monitor in it’s full gamut and it doesn’t really bother me, but I’d like to know if there was a way to limit the sRGB oversaturation (I don’t like atomic green when it’s supposed to be pastel green or just softer than radioactive). I downloaded HW Unboxed’s ICC profile from their Patreon but I don’t really know how to make displayCAL adjust it to limit extra gamut volume.

I also wanted to add that Nvidia seems to have added a “color accuracy mode” option in their control panel, inside “adjust desktop color” tab or however it’s called in English. Not sure if this has to do with a digital sRGB clamp like option but people don’t seem to know what’s the feature for.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. At the end, I might still keep the monitor even the oversaturated colors but I just wanted to know if there’s a solution for it.

Hanon.

PCM2

Hi Hanon,

I’m glad you’re enjoying the MAG274QRF-QD overall. The only way to reliably display sRGB content within the sRGB colour space is:

– Profile the monitor yourself. You can use somebody else’s profile, but for best results you’d do this with your own colorimeter or spectrophotometer as each individual unit is different. Whether profiling yourself or using somebody else’s profile, the gamut mapping of the profile is embedded but only accessible to ‘colour-aware’ (colour-managed) applications. So if you’re just browsing the desktop, observing some content on the internet (including YouTube videos and some other media content) or gaming will appear oversaturated. This is covered in our article on ICC profiles.

– Use an sRGB emulation setting on the monitor or create hardware calibrate the monitor (requires an addressable LUT and suitable calibration hardware). This applies universally to all applications, which is why such a setting can be important. Neither option is available on this model and sRGB emulation settings can be imperfect anyway due to locked brightness and other controls.

– Use AMD’s ‘Colour Temperature Control’ feature (disabled) in AMD Radeon software. As discussed in our reviews (e.g Acer XB323U) this is essentially a flexible sRGB emulation setting, you use this with any monitor settings you like. Having tested it myself, I couldn’t tell you exactly what “Colour accuracy mode” does in Nvidia Control Panel (clicking the ‘Override to reference mode’ checkbox). But as you’ll be able to confirm by using the setting yourself, it is not an sRGB emulation setting. I was quite excited when I heard about this setting, but immediately disappointed after testing it. 😉

It might be worth investing in a colorimeter with this model, if budget allows. To give you a better experience on colour-aware applications, which includes browsing the internet. Most (but not all) content there will have saturation appropriately reduced following such adjustments. Another issue that I’ve seen reported by a few users and was also raised in the Hardware Unboxed review of the MAG274QRF-QD is that the gamma is usually closer to ‘2.0’ than ‘2.2’. Correcting the gamma can actually improve saturation in some instances (not what you want), but it can also deepen some shades up so they appear less ‘bright and neon’. It can also make the visibility in dark areas more appropriate and reduce how obvious compression artifacts are on streamed content. MSI doesn’t offer any gamma modes or alternative means to correct this in the OSD, so you’d need to use a colorimeter to correct this. From what I’ve seen the gamma tracking varies a bit between units but is usually off the mark so it’s good to correct this properly in my view. Again, it might not be important to you but it’s something to consider.

Hanon

Thank you for your reply. I’ll see what I do with the input you gave me. Do you know if it’s possible to access the service menu at all? I’d like to take a look to confirm the panel specs and other interesting stuff.

PCM2

That isn’t something manufacturers like us to discuss I’m afraid. And I’m not sure of the exact combination on the MAG274QRF-QD anyway.

hachem28

hi, I didn’t want to create a new thread so I’m going to piggyback off this one. Any thoughts on the non qd version of the MAG274QRF?

PCM2

I have no feedback to give on the ‘non QD’ model. But it again lacks flexibility with gamma options and MSI have proven themselves quite poor at tuning gamma in a number of their models (including the MAG274QRF-QD) so it’s a fair assumption that the ‘non QD’ could suffer similar issues. This isn’t necessarily a deal-breaker and you may love the experience it offers, but it isn’t a model I would personally recommend.

hachem28

yea I’ve read your other posts on the lack of gamma options, it’s a bummer. I actually did order the non qd version with free returns so I’ll see how I like it. Thanks 🙂

PCM2

Just remember, you might get a good unit or be happy with how things are calibrated anyway. Please feel free to share your thoughts on this thread when you get the monitor, I hope you get on with it. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.