Making sense of the current 27″ 1440p ~144hz IPS segment

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 301 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    vonvorter

Not a very noticeable difference unless I’m looking at a black screen honestly. The HDR does help the black levels looks a bit deeper on the Alienware, but not anything incredible. I can definitely notice a bit more IPS glow on the corners on the AW2724DM, but that’s also very negligible imo. Out of the box the backlight bleed was pretty bad on the AW2724DM, but after leaving it on overnight on max brightness, it was reduced significantly. The black levels, and uniformity on these panels is better than all the other IPS monitors I’ve tried, barring the EX2510, which they’re on par with. I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with either of these monitors, and I think the choice should come down to if you think the AW2724DM’s extra features are worth the extra money.

Jarrett84

I’ve read there are three response times on the G2724D: fast (4ms), super fast, extreme. Is fast the default setting? Wasn’t sure if out-of-the-box it runs an even slower setting.

vonvorter

Yep, out of the box it runs on fast, same with the Alienware.

gizmo11x

Thank you for the responses.
            One more question: somebody was saying that they thought the colours looked washed out (or not vibrant enough) on the G2724d (not wide gamut) . Did you notice this while gaming, compared to the AW2724DM.

Jarrett84

Yeah, @ vonvorter I’m into photography/desktop publishing a lot, so having an sRGB mode and close calibration is important. I don’t even find sRGB washed out. Would rather be staring at an accurate screen than some goofy wide gamut colours.

vonvorter

The colors look good on both honestly. The G2724D doesn’t look washed out at all, and thats in SRGB mode. Standard mode both look great in terms of vibrancy, with the edge going to the Alienware.

PCMuser

Hi vonvorter! Both monitors look very interesting and since you own both you are a very valuable source of information,so I have a few questions for you.

1.Can you talk a bit about the screen coating of the monitors?Which of them has a more “glossy”/less matte finish?I hate thick matte finishes.

2.Is the brightness on both monitors adjustable when in sRGB mode?

3.I know this is subjective,but in terms of eye strain/eye comfort have you felt a difference between the two monitors or when comparing them with other,older monitors that you have used before?I really hope that these monitors do not use LG panels as I have heard that they are really bad in terms of eye strain,one of the reasons allegedly being the red phosphorus used in the backlights.Thank you.

jbennett360

Good to see a bit of feedback on both of them. The Alienware seems to be on offer at the minute in the UK and can be had for ยฃ360.

vonvorter

Both coatings are noticeable on a pure white screen when I put the monitor around 6 inches from my face, but IMO they are not too thick. Both coatings seem very similar to me and are a good amount less grainy than my previous MOBIUZ EX2510. I would take my opinion on coatings with a grain of salt though, since I don’t think I’ve used a monitor with a particularly bad coating.

Brightness, contrast, overdrive, and dark stabilizer are all adjustable while in sRGB mode.

I’ve been using these monitors side by side for editing around 10 hours a day for a few weeks now and haven’t experienced any eye strain, but I’m not super sensitive to it to begin with.

PCM2

Thanks for confirming this vonvorter, very helpful for those considering the monitors. ๐Ÿ™‚

PCMuser

I appreciate for taking the time to respond, vonvorter!

PCM2

Just to confirm we’re currently reviewing the ViewSonic OMNI VX2728J-2K, which I acquired internationally due to interest. I can confirm it’s based on a BOE IPS-ADS panel and the ‘Overclocking’ feature does actually work, though 165Hz vs. 180Hz is largely negligible and it also blocks off Adaptive-Sync with ‘Overclocking’ active (regardless of whether you actually select 180Hz). I’ll be saving any further findings for the review. ๐Ÿ™‚

vonvorter

Just a small update on the AW2724DM, the HDR is indeed working with local dimming. Didn’t really get around to properly testing it before, but I notice there is blooming with HDR on so it’s not a great implementation, but it is working.

PCM2

Thanks for confirming, I was going crazy trying to work out how it goes VESA DisplayHDR 600 certification without it. ๐Ÿ˜€

vonvorter

Last post about these monitors I promise lmao.

If anyone was wondering the panels the AW2724DM and G2724D use, I opened them up for ya.

The AW2724DM uses the LM270WQD-SSB1 (LG panel)

The G2724D uses the M270DAN08.C (AUO panel)

PCM2

Excellent information. So the AW2724DM uses a BOE or LG Display panel interchangeably, the G2724D appears to only use the AUO panel (that’s the only one I’ve seen confirmed, at least). ๐Ÿ™‚

savingstimes

Good to hear about the ViewSonic OMNI VX2728J-2K review, albeit I actually ended up cancelling that already to roll the dice on waiting for Dell G2724D reviews due to some other preference considerations (such as the x2 DP input, which for reason seems rare on monitors, being more useful to me than having x2 HDMI).

Will be interesting to see how they ultimately stack up as I notice there’s a PCworld review of the Dell of that up now and a rtings review of it coming up as well.

Which other monitors currently use the M270DAN08.C?

Also any idea how big of a difference the BOE and LG Panels are with the AW2724DM?

I wonder how the LM270WQD-SSB1 stacks up to the more commonly known QHD Nano IPS panels which are fast but also known for being low contrast. Would the BOE panel for example mean the monitor has better contrast but worse response times? I’d guess the DCI-P3 gamut coverage may likely be different as well.

PCM2

I don’t know of other models using that particular panel, it’s a very new panel. The differences between the LG and BOE panel are unknown, which again is why I hate it when manufacturers do that. But not all BOE panels have particularly good contrast, even by IPS standards.

MarzoK

Hey, thanks for your effort. This information is pure gold, because iยดam working at a list of all WQHD IPS monitors and there panels.

Edit: The LM270WQD-SSB1 is a first generation FAST IPS panel with hardware integrated low blue light. Performance (Pixel Response) wise it should be perform like NANO-IPS, but with reduced blue light and worse colors + (of cause) color space. The second generation SSB2 is used in Legion Y27h-30 which you can see in this chinese test from “little snowman”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Ujuho0Qeo&t=429s

maybe the B1 Panel is/was also used in Gigabyte M27Q P, but iam not sure about that? (i think its NANO-IPS because it is applied with 98% DCI-P3….)

Iam also a bit wondering about it and why they dont use the even newer SSB3 Panel instead, which is already used by budget-options like the HP OMEN 27q. Contrast is similar to NANO-IPS, too and BOE is normally better. The newer BOE Panels (like NF5) also have hardware integrated low blue light and similar responsiveness.

PS: iยดam new in this forum and only looked for some threads and tests in the past. –> PCM2 is this information about the BOE-Panel at Alienware already confirmed?

PCM2

Hi MarzoK,

Per the article on the AW2724DM, it’s confirmed on the AMD FreeSync monitors list that a BOE variant exists. The M27Q P‘s capabilities and specifications do indeed suggest a Nano IPS panel. The HP OMEN 27q also interchangeably uses an LG Display and BOE panel (relevant post).

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 301 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.