Budget 144Hz+ monitor for FPS games

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 141 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    PCM2

It’s really very subjective, you may or may not conisder some of those models to offer “great pixel responsiveness” and likewise may or may not consider them to offer “decent colours”. At this stage it’s worth waiting for our upcoming review of the AOC 24G2U. That’s all I will say at this stage, but even from the specifications it’s clear that it should be offering a nice mixture of colour quality and responsiveness. If responsiveness is an absolute priority and you aren’t that bothered about colour reproduction but still want it to be “OK” then the BenQ XL2411(P) might be worth checking out in the meantime. I appreciate the ViewSonic models aren’t a realistic option for you as TN options. Our review of the XL2420Z will give you a good idea of what to expect from that as core performance is very similar.

monte1ro

Thank you so much for you answer! I’m also considering the BenQ but I’ve heard multiple people talk about their washed out colours… Would it be much faster than say… an MSI OPTIX MAG241C? Is it also better than the Asus MG248QE? Sorry to be bothering with so many questions!

PCM2

I’d recommend reading a bit further back in this thread and other related threads on similar topics. All monitors which use the same 24″ 144Hz panel (that’s the vast majority – including the MG248QE) have significant inter-unit variation in gamma. The newer ViewSonic models are the best choices because they offer a lot of flexibility to adjust gamma in the OSD. The BenQ models offer less, although some adjustment – if you get a “good unit” you’ll be fine. The MG248QE offers very little adjustability in that respect, avoid it.

As for the MSI MAG241C, it’s a poor choice if you’re interested in rapid pixel responses. And a worse choice than the C24G1. Refer to this thread.

monte1ro

Got it! Thank you so much!

Anonymous

As promised – and I do not like empty words – I report back:

I got myself a Viewsonic XG240R. It is really very, very responsive (more so than that XG2402 that I tested before), and I will keep it. As opposed to that AOC C24G1 that I also had here, it does not hurt my eyes (text rendering, possibly VA panel issues…) though I liked the picture quality of the AOC a little better. But all in all, it is also acceptable with the Viewsonic monitor. I wish, it were less heavy, though I do not carry it around too often. 😉 It has a small superficial scratch in the panel (which I hope does not really matter), that’s why I got a discount of 15%, which is very pleasant.

PCM2

I appreciate the feedback and I’m glad you’re enjoying the exceptionally responsive XG240R. 🙂

PCM2

I know quite a few watching this thread will be interested – the 24G2(U) review is now live. Video review to follow in a few days.

ppn7

Thank you PCM2 ! You did a great job as usual. I really like you method to test. For example, the pixel response with screen capture.
                    It’s better than seeing this monitor has a 9ms average G2G or something else !

AOC did a really good job too, the monitor seems to be well tuned, really nice to see that you can tune the overdrive with Freesync ON. Not possible on lot of other Acer model for example…

Medium Overdrive for all single player game @ 60fps seems perfect. Other fast gaming between 100 to 144hz Strong overdrive seems very good !

I just hope my reseller will have the 24G2 soon, because currently, i can only get the VG240YP, which might not be well tuned as the AOC… I can get the VG240YP for 60€ instead of 200€ with vouchers. Can’t do the same with the AOC.

PCM2

I’m glad you liked the review and found it helpful. I agree that the pursuit photographs are a lovely way of seeing how the monitor performs at various refresh rates and overdrive settings. It really speaks to people in a way that numbers don’t and gives a very nice and easy to interpret visual representation. And indeed AOC have done an excellent job with the pixel response time tuning on this one. 🙂

battlew

Hi i’m Daniele. Thank you for all the informations provided on this splendid website.

I have ordered my Aoc 24g2u and i’m w8ing for arrival.
                        I read somebody commented (on 24g2u) about the bright level too high, and a possible solution to futher decrease brightness level would be to reduce the R/G/B level from 50\50\50 to somewhere lower. Is this a viable solution? Are there any downsides?
                        thanks

PCM2

Hi Daniele and welcome,

I recorded a minimum white luminance on the 24G2U of 89 cd/m² without loss of contrast, which is quite high for users who are sensitive to brightness. Most users would set monitors to between 100 – 200 cd/m² during ordinary use of the monitor, with most generally preferring somewhere in the middle or slightly towards the higher end. It’s only users who are particularly light-sensitive who may find the 89 cd/m² too high. You can indeed reduce that figure by reducing the colour channels, but that comes at the expense of contrast. You lower the white luminance level (and overall luminance of brighter shades) without in any way decreasing your black level.

TomD

I’m also considering the AOC 24G2U

The main things I want are, low overdrive (mod edit – overshoot?), low input lag and GSYNC compatibility as I have a 2070 super

My main question, I don’t know if you’d be able to answer this, but right now I have a 1080p 60hz monitor and I notice screen tearing in almost every game I play, I don’t want to have to enable vsync as this adds input lag

Using the AOC 24G2U at 144hz and with gsync enabled, will I see less screen tearing (hopefully non at all) ?

PCM2

One of the key attractions of ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ is that it replaces VSync within the variable refresh rate range. So you get an experience that’s free from tearing from frame rate and refresh rate mismatches (the cause of your current tearing) without needing to enable VSync. And for users who like to use VSync, you don’t get the associated stuttering from such mismatches. This is covered in the relevant sections of our reviews.

So yes, that technology will fix up your ‘tearing’ issues without you needing to suffer the input lag penalty of VSync.

TomD

Thanks for the info – I purchased the AOC and it arrived today. Initial impressions are great, it’s a really nice monitor

One issue I have though, I noticed some very slight tearing when playing Destiny 2 when I was moving the camera around quickly. One thing I took from your review about knowing if Gsync is working or not, you state ‘Finally, note again that you can activate the ‘Frame Counter’ in the ‘Game Setting’ section of the OSD to see if the technology is working. This will rapidly adjust as frame rate fluctuates, whereas if Adaptive-Sync isn’t being used it will stay at the static refresh rate you’ve selected.’

With the monitors frame counter enabled, my FPS stays at 144hz and doesn’t fluctuate as described, so I assume gsync isn’t working for me. I’m not sure if I’ve missed a setting somewhere…. For it to work, in the nvidia control panel do I need ‘vertical sync’ set to fast? Is that a requirement in order to enable gsync?

I know this is a bit more tech support than monitor related but I’d appreciate it if you could clarify this for me, thank you

PCM2

Glad you’re enjoying the monitor, TomD.

As noted in the review: “Our suggestions regarding use of VSync also apply, but obviously you’re using Nvidia Control Panel rather than Radeon Settings to control this. The setting is found in ‘Manage 3D settings’ under ‘Vertical sync’, where the final option (‘Fast’) is equivalent to AMD’s ‘Enhanced Sync’ setting.” So if you refer to the description of VSync settings in the FreeSync section, you’ll see that you certainly don’t need to select that option.

Your frame counter staying at 144Hz is either because:

1) Things aren’t set up correctly in the graphics driver. Make sure they appear exactly as in the review, including checking the “Enable settings for the detected display model”.

2) You’re not running the game full screen. Despite what the display driver options suggest, the technology doesn’t seem to work (yet?) if the game isn’t running in exclusive full screen.

3) Your frame rate exceeds 144fps.

TomD

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it!

I think the issue was that I didn’t turn the monitor on and off as stated in the review, oops! So just to give an example, I was playing CSGO and I usually get 300fps, with this new monitor the frame rate seems to be locked at 144fps and the OSD fps counter is constantly fluctuating between 140hz and 144hz, is this the sign that gsync is working as intended?

PCM2

Perhaps you already understand this, but just in case I think it’s worth reading the FreeSync section. That explains the relevance of VSync and frame rate as to what variable refresh rate technologies do. G-SYNC/FreeSync does nothing for you when your frame rate exceeds the refresh rate of the display. To see if it’s activated and working correctly you’d really need a frame rate that’s <144fps. Although if the frame rate counter moves at all from the static refresh rate you selected (displays anything other than 144fps) it would suggest it is activated.

PCM2

TomD, I notice you posted twice over night. Sounds like you’ve got ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ working correctly now and know how VSync applies there – good stuff. You know this is not a free technical support service so please don’t treat it as such. But just to quickly address your questions.

One was that you noticed some “flickering” for some grey shades in photoshop. This is dithering – unless it only appears when the shade fills a small bit of the screen, but I assume this isn’t the case. You were then describing a “dead pixel” that only appears on a white or blue background. That’s a dead blue subpixel. Very minor defect to be honest and pixel defects are not uncommon on any monitor when there are several million subpixels. Ask yourself whether you would’ve noticed it without running the dead pixel checker. If the answer is no, just live with it as it isn’t really bothering you during normal use. If it does bother you and it’s impossible to ignore, go for a replacement.

battlew

Hi. why did you edit my previous message and your answer? I had to read it again and i cannot find anymore.

PCM2

battlew, I think you’re confused. You posted in a different thread – https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/24-1080p-144hz-ips-monitors-are-finally-here/. I have patiently given you some technical explanations as to some of your findings and have addressed various technical issues. Even though that goes beyond the scope of this forum. I made some minor edits to my own post simply because I was remembering experiences with a product I had around 10 years ago. I’m only human and addressing foggy memories can sometimes lead to inaccuracies – one of which was me stating the overshoot on the ViewSonic is low. It isn’t – I’ve referred to more recent user feedback to confirm that.

I have gathered extensive user feedback on the 24G2U already and the vast majority agree with the findings in the review. The review is very balanced and points out that things aren’t perfect. No monitor is. But after weighing things up this is an excellent product for the price. As such I will continue to recommend it and there will be many happy users buying on this recommendation. Uniformity varies between individual units and if it bothers you on the one unit you’ve tried it’d be worth exchanging things over. That also applies to much more expensive models than this! The review gives appropriate subjective and objective comparison of response performance and whichever way you cut it this is an excellent performer. You seem to have unrealistic expectations based on your own experiences with a fundamentally different monitor, with a different backlight regulation and stronger overshoot. That’s a shame. I explained this in my reply to you and the perceptive factors at play when it comes to PWM and (subjective) perceived sharpness increases from overshoot presence. That reply and your initial post remains.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 141 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.