Budget 144Hz+ monitor for FPS games

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 141 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    PCM2

I’m glad you found the reviews and other content useful and I appreciate it’s a tricky choice. As I always say – no monitor is perfect. The same applies when it comes to Quality Control. You can get a ‘bad unit’ of any monitor, although some are more prone to it than others. There are no guarantees with the AOC, as with any monitor, but it certainly doesn’t have below average quality control. It can be difficult to quantify, but based on the relatively low return rates I’ve seen most users seem happy enough to keep the first unit they receive. With it being a relatively affordable monitor, I suppose people don’t put the same weight on “perfection” (a dangerous word in the monitor world) as they would with a more expensive model.

I wouldn’t say you have to resort to an ICC profile on the AOC. As mentioned in the review, it’s just a bit of a bonus. It is quite painless to use on most games and will just be applied properly (at least with respect to gamma corrections, which are important) and work. For titles where it isn’t, it’s no big deal – the monitor still looks quite rich without it. More so than the ViewSonic even after it has been fully corrected, really. But you do need to be aware that ICC profiles are ideally created for your own unit using your own colorimeter, due to inter-unit variation. Many users seem happy with the results just using ours, though, so feel free to try it out.

Avrahammer

Thank you for the much needed help, I have ordered the AOC and it should arrive within the next 3 days. Will update on my experience with it for anyone who gets to read this thread 🙂

Avrahammer

Ok so the monitor arrived really fast which is awesome. I got to play around with it and so far i am very happy with it.
          I use the settings provided in the review and i also tried the ICC profile but it seems a bit dim and less alive, probably like you said it is tailored for a different unit but the profile provided with the drivers is very nice.

I use the Medium overdrive because Strong has a bit too much overshoot for my liking, at least in R6 Siege. I do not use the MBR because my RX580 must have Freesync at all time because it cant keep a steady 144 fps on most games i play. I also use Enhanced Sync and Rivatuner FPS limiter set to 141.

I just wanted to know if it makes sense to set my windows settings to 120hz and treat it like a 120hz monitor because i don’t have a very strong GPU. I just tried it and also set R6 Siege to 120hz in game and limited my fps on Rivatuner to 118 so i could play on a steady 118 FPS which felt smoother. the 20-24 FPS difference is not that of a big deal and i can’t maintain a steady 144 anyway. Is this a good idea or could i handle it differently? i read a lot about Freesync and people usually suggested having Enhanced Sync with a frame limiter for the best performance.

PCM2

I’m glad you’re enjoying the C24G1, I thought you would. There’s no advantage to setting the monitor to 120Hz over 144Hz, unless your GPU has that issue where it noticeably spools the fans up or seems to be under more stress/load when idling on the desktop at 144Hz. You can usually set the refresh rate in games individually. Having said that, if you don’t notice the difference between 120Hz and 144Hz in general (understandable – it’s slight) and you never really get >120fps, then feel free to just use 120Hz.

If you’re using a frame rate limiter set appropriately below 120fps and Adaptive-Sync is being used, it doesn’t really matter if you’ve got the monitor set to 144Hz or 120Hz. The refresh rate will dynamically adjust anyway. Remember that frame rate limiters aren’t perfect, so 118fps might be cutting it a bit fine and you’ll get occasional peaks above 120fps. You’d be better off trying 117fps or possibly 116fps at 120Hz – or alternatively, use 144Hz and keep the limiter at whatever you’re comfortable with (including 118fps). If you don’t really notice any tearing or other issues as the frame rate hits the limiter then don’t worry. The majority of users would be quite happy just letting the monitor run as high as it wants without a limiter, incidentally, and enabling VSync to cap it at the refresh rate.

Avrahammer

Using 144hz with a frame limiter of 120ish actually sounds like a better idea, will do. I just felt, maybe unreasonably so, that if my fps jumps around between 120-150 it is not as smooth as having a steady 118 (for example). I will try using 144hz with a frame limiter of 120 and test the results. I also disabled Enhanced Sync because with a frame limiter it doesn’t really have much use.

POTTI

Hello again , i had some issues with monitor so i had it returned and now i ended up with offer for MG248QR with low price and other monitor pricing gone mad , so i wanted to ask you if you know what is the difference between MG248Q and MG248QR since i heard its revised version , but thats just what i read
                Thank you in advance

PCM2

It would be more helpful for the sake of this thread if you mentioned the monitor you’re referring to by name and which issues were you having with it. The MG248QR, according to user feedback I’ve received, is very similar to the MG248Q. It’s an inferior choice to the ViewSonic models (XG240R etc.) we recommend as it doesn’t offer appropriate flexibility in the OSD, often has issues with gamma which can’t be corrected in the OSD and isn’t as well-tuned in terms of pixel responsiveness.

POTTI

AOC C24G1 , it was only that unit that had a flaw , when i say flaw i mean colors were strange you could not save any corrections you made , it resets every time i start pc again , and for viewsonic i had offers for them but way too expensive 50$ more than MG248QR ,
                    can you tell me in general what were user feedbacks about this monitor , were there any drawbacks other that you mentioned since my focus is FPS games (csgo) , and btw i got strix RTX2060 and wonder if i could use it with freesync or adaptive snyc

PCM2

That’s odd and sounds very much like your C24G1 was faulty, but anyway the issues the user had with the MG248QR were just as raised. If the ViewSonic models are way too expensive for you and you’re primarily focused on a good responsive experience for games like CSGO, I think you’ll be quite happy with the MG248QR really.

POTTI

Yes it was faulty , they offered a replacement immidiately , one more thing , does this model have Freesync / Adaptive sync to make use of my RTX 2060 because i have read different stuff about this and still got no correct answer

PCM2

Which model are you referring to? The AOC C24G1 seems to offer decent ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ support, according to user feedback (in this thread and other feedback I’ve received). For the MG248Q(R) I have no idea I’m afraid, so can’t help you there.

POTTI

I was asking for the MG248QR , no problem I hope it works , either way its good compromise for its price , 200$ in my country for gaming monitor is a steal , hopefully this one wont have issue

Anonymous

Theoretically, the XG2402 should be utterly responsive and have very little input lag. But when I play that old game quake2 it “feels” like there is some noticeable delay after clicking mouse buttons. By contrast, the AOC 24G1 feels snappier to me, and I get a better score. Of course, this may also be a random result, due to server issues or the kind of opponents etc.

The recommended rampage response setting “faster” doesn’t seem to be enough in my case; it gets somewhat better when using “ultra fast” or even “fastest” – the good thing is that I do not really notice any ghosting.

I have these 3 monitors here right now: Viewsonic XG2402, AOC 24G1 and Dell S2419HGF.
                              Heck, even the Dell feels more responsive, but only when overclocking it to 144hz and using the highest response setting: With these settings, that not so much liked monitor feels like “really little input lag”. There is a flipside, though: The ghosting is horrible; game scenes look like “sharpened” or something. So this Dell is not what I want.

I would have expected more from the XG2402 – any ideas why it may feel less responsive than the 24G1? All the game settings are the same, and I do not use freesync or gsync.

PCM2

What setting are/were you using on the AOC C24G1? It certainly isn’t a signal delay issue, the XG2402 with its ‘Faster’ setting doesn’t have any issues there. The human visual system, perception and brain is a complex being. Sometimes users ‘feel’ that things are faster if the image appears slightly over-sharpened during motion. This occurs if there is some overshoot, which occurs on the XG2402 more noticeably using the ‘Ultra Fast’ and certainly ‘Fastest’ setting’. There are some minor weaknesses (‘powdery trailing’) as well on the XG2402 using our preferred (‘Faster’) setting, something improved on the XG240R – as covered in the review. So it could be your perception of the conventional trailing vs. overshoot that is causing this.

Anonymous

On the AOC, I use overdrive “medium”, no MBR.
                                  It feels snappier than XG2402 on rampage response “ultra fast”. I do not notice any ghosting.

No gsync, freesync, anything else changed.

Could it be that my XG2402 is faulty?

PCM2

I don’t really know what to tell you. If you have the monitor connected up via DP, have it running at 144Hz [Windows/in-game setting plus ‘Native(144Hz)’ for ‘Monitor Hertz Cap’ in the OSD] then there shouldn’t be any issues with latency. It could be faulty I guess. Also try activating AMD FreeSync in the graphics driver, regardless of whether you’re actually using it, an see if it makes any difference. And make sure you don’t have any other screens connected at the same time.

Anonymous

Thanks again.

I use the DP, only one screen connected, 144hz checked. By the way, I mainly use Linux – quake2 runs very well there.

I will try with FreeSync enabled – but my graphics adapter is from nvidia…

It’s a little sad because I would rather keep the Viewsonic monitor: Whilst the AOC comes with text that looks crisp and fine, I still have some level of eye strain that I do not experience with the Viewsonic, like having to refocus all the time, but this is worse in Linux where I always had some sort of issue with font rendering.

I am going to do further testing, also including Windows 10.

Edit: I just checked: Enabling FreeSync is not possible, it is greyed out.

PCM2

That’s very strange, FreeSync should not be greyed out if the monitor is correctly running at 1920 x 1080 @ 144Hz, regardless of your GPU vendor. Is ‘ViewScale’ set to ‘Full’ as well? It would be better to test on Windows 10. AMD FreeSync would not be greyed out just because you’re connected to a GPU that doesn’t support it (reference), although on Windows 10 you can use the monitor with ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ with that setting enabled on the monitor. It controls Adaptive-Sync, more specifically, not just FreeSync.

I hope you sort it out and please report back if you do, but also note that this isn’t a free technical support service so I don’t intend to spend more of my time on this issue.

Anonymous

No problem, I know that this is not support for free here. Regarding all the replies I got from you, I am really grateful.

Yes, it is always those small details:
                                          After reading somewhere about it, I had Viewscale set at “1:1”. Now that I set it back to “full”, the FreeSync option is working.

I will go on testing, and sure, I will report back – might take a little longer this time.

monte1ro

Hey, guys!

I’m looking to buy a 144hz to play mainly PUBG and, every once in a while, FIFA. What monitors would you recommend that offer great pixel responsiveness and decent colors? I’m from Portugal and here Viewsonic monitors are pretty expensive (the XG240R is 260€ and the XG2402 is 300€) and very rare to find in stores. What would you recommend me? I do prefer bezel-less monitors as they are better looking but bezels like the ones on my Asus VG245H are very acceptable.

Is the AOC C24G1 the only monitor you recommend?

Here is a list of the monitors available within my budget:

LG 24GL600F-B – 170€
                                            Viewsonic VX2458-C-MHD – 180€
                                            Acer KG251QF – 180€
                                            AOC C24G1 – 180€
                                            AOC G2590FX – 180€
                                            Dell S2419HGF – 190€
                                            BenQ Zowie XL 2411P – 200€
                                            Asus MG248QE – 200€
                                            AOC 24G2U – 200€
                                            Asus VG248QE – 200€ (can get it used from a friend for 80€ in a good state. 1year old)
                                            MSI Optix MAG241C – 220€
                                            ———————————————
                                            Beyond this point it’s getting kinda pricey but if they’re worth it, I might consider them.
                                            ———————————————
                                            IIyama GB2560HSU-B1 – 250€
                                            MSI Optix G24C4 – 250€
                                            Acer Predator Predator XB240HBbmjdpr – 250€
                                            MSI Optix MAG241CR – 250€
                                            Asus MG248QR – 250€
                                            Asus VG258Q – 280€

Thank you in advance, and remember, I prefer the least ammount of bezel possible, as fast responsiveness as possible as long as the colors aren’t dreadful.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 141 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.