Budget 144Hz+ monitor for FPS games

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 141 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Inoue_

Hi everyone,

I’m currently looking for a new 144Hz 1080p monitors and the AOC 24G2 and Acer VG240YP are the better priced alternatives available in my country. Which one would be the better option? According to what I read they should be basically the same, with differences being Acer’s model 165Hz capabilities, but also its lack of adjustability. As such, I’d like to know if there’s anything else I should consider, as well as your opinion. The most “demanding” use the monitor will go through is probably fast-paced FPS games such as CS:GO, as I don’t plan on using it for photo or video editing or similar professional applications.

Thanks in advance!

PCM2

Hi Inoue_,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as it’s a suitable place. There are relevant discussions earlier in this thread, but I’d also recommend reading through this thread which compares the 24G2 with the VG249Q. The VG240Y P is very similar to the VG249Q, so bear that in mind when reading the thread. Ultimately I feel the 24G2 is the better option, particularly for your uses – as it offers better pixel overdrive tuning. The slight extra refresh rate of the Acer wouldn’t sway things in my opinion with this in mind. The AOC is also more vibrant, which may appeal to you, and tends to offer somewhat stronger contrast.

Inoue_

Thanks for the guidance!

Something I also wanted to know is there is any meaningful performance degradation over time for the 24G2, as I’m considering buying one that was used for 1 year and is being offered for about 75% of the price of a new one. Could you give any insights on that?

PCM2

I’m not aware of any particular issues you should expect with the monitor after 1 year. Any monitor can develop faults and I haven’t seen evidence this is any more likely to do so than others over the longer term. All models can have colour shifts and other natural changes to output over time, this one’s no exception. But you should be able to counteract such changes if you need to – this is more of a concern for colour-critical work than general usage and gaming. And why I always recommend periodic recalibration of monitors if accurate colour output is important. 🙂

Inoue_

I also found another interesting option for about $20 more than the 24G2, an AG251FZ2 also by AOC. Would you say its worth the little extra? The superior refresh rate certainly seems appealing for fps games, but I was hesitant because of the TN panel and its kinda dated implementation.

PCM2

Standard gamut higher refresh rate TN (but higher refresh rate) vs wide gamut lower refresh rate IPS. Really two very different beasts. I’m not really a fan of the 240Hz TN panels in any department other than speed (reference). And the AG251FZ2 isn’t as well-tuned as the Acer I just linked to, either. The image quality is nowhere near that of the IPS alternatives such as the 24G2(U).

Demonize

Hey PCM,

I see you’re reviewing the 24G2SP / U. I used to own the old version and really loved it so will be curious to see if this one is as good. Think AOC are killing it with their budget gaming models. I’ve gone for bigger models with higher resolutions for my rig but I know some of my friends are interested in this screen. 🙂

PCM2

Ah yes, always like to look at some of the cheaper and simpler monitors and not just the flashy expensive stuff. 😉

PCM2

Our review of the AOC 24G2SP(U) is now live. So nothing revolutionary compared to the older model, but slightly tigtened-up pixel response tuning, a higher refresh rate and based on the units I’ve tested superior colour consistency as well. For those sensitive to such things, I didn’t observe ‘interlace pattern artifacts’ (dynamic or static) as I did on the older model. And there were no flickering issues to note under VRR either with AMD FreeSync or Nvidia ‘G-SYNC Compatible’ – this is something I specifically tested for not just in-game but with specific tests that highlight such things very readily.

Demonize

Thanks again for another amazing review! On the weight of this I recommended this AOC to a friend, who bought it and loves it. He came from an old BenQ 144Hz TN and is gobsmacked at the difference in colours and also finds response times just great. He watches a lot of movies on it, internet surfing and mixed gaming. Everything from CSGO to Hitman games and other RPGs. 🙂

PCM2

No problem, it’s great to see your friend is enjoying the upgrade so much!

Pitch

What is my best option here? I live in the Philippines, and these are the monitors that I’ve seen that are available and fit my budget. I play a lot of FPS (i.e., Apex, Valorant, CSGO). I to upgrade my monitor because I’m still using my 60hz monitor from before and I really want an upgrade from that. You can also recommend if you have anything in mind.

AOC 24G2E
                            ASUS VP249QGR
                            Lenovo G24-20

PCM2

Hi Pitch,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as it’s a suitable place. As covered here and per the current recommendations, the AOC 24G2SP(U) is the main recommendation for good budget all-round gaming performance. If this isn’t available, the 24G2E you list is a good fallback. It’s just like the 24G2 we’ve reviewed (which is the predecessor to the ‘SP’ model and also a capable budget monitor) but includes a tilt-only stand rather than being fully adjustable.

Pitch

Hello! Thank you for merging my thread here, thought it was removed xD. Anyway, my first on the list is the AOC 24G2SP. However, upon posting it on other forums, they’ve also recommended some gaming monitors. Do you think AOC 24G2SP is still good if I include this in the three new recommendations: LG 24GN600, Philips 24M1N3200Z, Lenovo Legion Y25-25.

PCM2

I feel my recommendation for the AOC 24G2SP(U) is clear. That means I recommend it over any other monitor available for a similar price. I would consider the Acer XB253Q GP if you’re primarily interested in strong 144Hz pixel responsiveness, as noted in the recommendations section and covered in the AOC review where that comparison is drawn. But this usually fetches a higher price and has some potential drawbacks compared to the AOC (lower contrast, grainier screen surface, less vibrant colour output).

Tom

I am seeing the AOC 24G2SAE/BK for about £30 cheaper than the AOC 24G2SP(U). Are there any big differences between these models as the spec sheet seems to be the same from what I can tell ? Thanks

PCM2

Hey Tom,

The 24G2SAE uses the same panel and should be tuned in a similar way to the 24G2SP(U). The ‘SAE’ has a tilt-only stand rather than offering the full flexibility of the ‘SP/SPU’. Like the ‘SPU’ it includes speakers, but doesn’t include USB ports. 🙂

Tom

If I could up my budget to £300, do you think it would be possible to pick up a decent 1440p 165Hz monitor ? I see a lot of monitors under this price range but they mostly seem to be VA panels which from what I understand don’t perform good at 165Hz. I would appreciate some suggestions if you know of any, thanks

PCM2

Very slightly beyond your budget, but I’d still recommend the Gigabyte M27Q with that price in mind (covered alongside others in this thread).

Tom

Thanks for the response, ideally I needed something in stock with Amazon as that’s where my gift card credit is. I see the Dell S2721DGFA on sale for £259 on Amazon at the moment, do you know anything about that panel ? Thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 141 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.