Budget 144Hz+ monitor for FPS games

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 141 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Falcolx

Thank you for your answer i have narrowed the list down to the xg240r and the c27g1, ans since you said that both monitors does not have bad colours, what about the performance? Is it a huge diffrence? Im leaning more to the c27g1 but i have seen that you said that the xg240r has amazing pixel response time and such.

PCM2

I really can’t add more to what has already been said in this thread, the others I’ve linked to or the reviews. There is a clear difference in pixel responsiveness between the AOC C27G1 and ViewSonic XG240R. There’s no getting around the fact that the C27 is slightly slower than the C24 as well. But as far as VA models go the C27G1 is by no means bad and certainly for non-competitive gaming most users will find it just fine.

And for competitive gaming where the frame rate is consistently at 144fps (CSGO) you can use the ‘MBR’ strobe backlight mode that’s well-implemented there to get a really nice competitive edge. You need to be aware of the drawbacks of using that mode, which are covered in the review of the C24 (more restricted brightness range, some ‘strobe crosstalk’ artifacts, flickering, needing frame rate to match the refresh rate exactly etc.) Because some users will not tolerate a strobe backlight mode so this is of no use to them.

Falcolx

Okay thanks for all your help, i really want what the c27g1 and c24g1 can offer but i prefer the performance the xg240r can offer me. And also are there any adjustments i can do to the xg240r for it to look better in colour and image quality.

PCM2

Just to note that the XG240R has now replaced the XG2402 in the recommendations section as the manufacturer has finally become more aggressive with its pricing. It’s a slightly better model due to the superior pixel response tuning – plus some will like the Elite RGB lighting and subdued matte black look without red elements.

POTTI

Hello everyone

As i said in headline im looking for a fast panel for competitive gaming , specifically the following ones since i am budget bound to some extent :

Budget :
              Acer KG251QF / KG241PB
              Acer ED242QRA
              Acer GN246HLBBID
              Acer XF240
              AOC C24G1
              Asus VG248QZ / VG248QE

Slightly over budget :
              AOC G2590PX
              Asus MG248Q
              DELL S2419HGF
              MSI Optix MAG241CR
              HP 4JF31AA
              HP Omen Z7Y57AA
              LG 24GM79G-B
              BENQ XL2411P
              Acer XB240H

Viewsonic XG2401 (hard to get)

So i divided them based on my budget , that is , i am willing to spend more on these if they are worth it , on the other hand if some of these budget ones will give me what i need without spending extra it would be great . I’ve seen similar posts on forum and recommendation being Viewsonic ones sometimes but if it happens to be recommendation here i would love to give me one more from this list because getting Viewsonic one is tricky here so…

Thanks in advance

PCM2

Hi POTTI and welcome,

I’ve merged your thread with this one. You’ve listed a huge number of monitors there. Many of these are inferior to models which I recommend that use the same or a similar panel but are better tuned. Refer to the first post, which covers some of these models directly and indirectly (by reference) covers others which I don’t recommend.

The only model of those I specifically recommend is the AOC C24G1. The AOC G2590PX is decent, but be aware of the ‘interlace pattern artifacts’ as covered in my first post. The LG 24GM79G is fairly decent, provided you get a good unit. Many units have the uncorrectable gamma issue which I referred to in my first post, but some units don’t and are just fine. The pixel responsiveness tuning on that model is good, improved upon only by the newer ViewSonics like the XG2402 and XG240R in my opinion.

peteralexandremusic

Hi y’all! I’m just joining this forum and I’m really glad I can find so precise informations about monitors.
                  I’ve read the most part of PCM website and forum but I’m still wondering about the xl2411p.

My use would be for gaming only and the only important thing for me is responsiveness I don’t care about colors osd etc… With what I’ve read so far the viewsonic xg2401 or xg2402 is the best choice for me but unfortunately it’s a bit over my budget here in France. The Aoc c24g1 fits my budget but I get that it’s a bit less responsive than the viewsonic due to the fact that the monitor is VA based.

My question is what about the BenQ xl2411p? Since it’s TN and in the review of the older 2411T those BenQ monitors seemed really “snappy”. Plus as I understand there MBR seemed really good and it fits my budget.

Since the BenQ xl2411p is 188€ and the aoc c24g1 is 179€ which one should I buy?

Thanks for your advice.

PCM2

The BenQ XL2411P might be a good choice for you if your main concern is responsiveness. Whilst ViewSonic models like the XG2402 offer more OSD flexibility and have better pixel response tuning (less overshoot), the BenQ XL2411P is certainly snappy. If you aren’t sensitive to or overly concerned with overshoot (which is higher on this model using its optimal setting than on the ViewSonic) then this model should deliver what you’re after. If you’re interested in using the strobe backlight setting (‘Blur Reduction’) then that is a nice feature to have which the ViewSonic models don’t have. And because the pixel responsiveness is significantly better than on the AOC C24G1, there aren’t so many imperfections there that would be noticed both with or without MBR/Blur Reduction enabled.

For reference, performance of the XL2411P is very similar to the XL2420Z we reviewed, a more recent BenQ model than the XL2411T. The styling is of course much more similar to the XL2411T, however.

POTTI

Thank you Adam for directing me to right thread , i wish i could lay my hands on viewsonic ones but unfortunately its hard to get one here and even if i do it would be heavily overpriced … so im left between C24G1 , LG 24GM79G and G2590PX and myb benq XL2411P since its come down in price a bit…i mainly play csgo so that would be its use if that changes something.. im not concerned about image quality that much but the performance , the edge that i am getting with new screen ( i hope some of these monitors are eye friendly since i spend good amount of time daily on pc gaming , 3Dmodelling , studying etc roughly 5-6 hours a day , if not never mind )

PCM2

Viewing comfort is a very individual thing. Some people find these monitors perfectly comfortable (I do), others might not. Most users would get on with them just fine once adjusted correctly.

peteralexandremusic

Thank you for your answer. I still have to make a choice and I’ll see if I can go a bit over my initial budget for a viewsonic xg240r or xg2402.

In any case I’ll let you know which one I’ll choose and my opinion on it if you like to.

POTTI

i dont know which route to go since every monitor from my list have some drawbacks (to be honest i am using CRT monitor since i got to gaming and i dont know if i would even notice those drawbacks ) , i mean if i wait some time i am sure viewsonic will pop out in our stores and remove all my doubts…i forgot to ask you , do you get feedbacks from users who used above listed monitors for FPS gaming and did they notice same things as you or they found it perfectly fit for it

PCM2

All monitors are a compromise one way or the other, without exception. You can see plenty of feedback from users on our YouTube video comments and also if you do a forum search for the model number. But in short I’ve already summarised the situation earlier in this thread. Some users have issues with ‘interlace pattern artifacts’ on the 24.5″ models, some don’t. Most users find the C24G1 fine for gaming, even competitive gaming in some cases. The ViewSonic models are always loved for their responsiveness, image quality has mixed impressions reflecting what we said in the review. But it’s still a step above most others using the same panel.

POTTI

yeah i think that would be the best option right now giving the circumstances , G2590PX is 30$ beyond my budget anyways…if in meantime some of viewsonic ones pops out it would be great but C24G1 is my go to monitor for now…
                                Thank you for your assistance Adam and best of luck , cheers !

PCM2

Just as an interesting addition to this thread… I’ve just been sent an Acer XN253QP (completely by accident – instead of the XN253QX 240Hz version) which uses a newer version of the 24.5″ panel in the G2590PX and others using a similar or slightly newer variant of the panel. The interlace pattern artifacts are certainly still there and I found them quite noticeable at times even from my preferred viewing distance (>60cm). From memory they’re perhaps not quite as distracting as on the G2590PX, but if you find them noticeable on one you’re likely to notice them on the other.

Avrahammer

After endless research, two monitors give me a hard time deciding between them. For a TN it has relatively good colors after tuning it, so i heard. And for a VA it has relatively good speed with the settings it offers. The problem is that i play both FPS online games AND everything else so i really don’t know what to take.

Question is, is there a big difference in display quality between them including dark areas or is the trade-off between speed/ghosting and display colors not that big?
                                    I want the XG240R for its speed but i am afraid that for any game other than FPS games it is not worth the loss of colors, and i want the C24G1 for its balance but i am afraid that there isn’t that much big difference to sacrifice the “speed” for and suffer some trailing/ghosting for it.

SOMEONE SAVE ME PLEASE! i am basically seeing monitors when i close my eyes at this point lol

PCM2

These models are compared in this thread and several others on the forum. So I’ve merged your thread with this one and suggest you read through it. Ultimately you’ve summarised the strengths and weaknesses quite well, but note what I’ve said regarding comments from even quite competitive gamers on the C24G1. It’s no slouch and most users find the benefits in terms of colour reproduction and contrast outweighs any disadvantages in terms of responsiveness. But it’s something of an apples to orange comparison and you need to weigh things up based on your own preferences and sensitivities.

Avrahammer

Thank you, i actually read through the whole thread and didn’t realize it is still active so i made a new one.
                                        But the question that really stops me from just picking one of them is – is there a big difference in color quality after tuning the hell out of the XG240R?

If even cs:go players are happy with the performance of the C24G1 then i am more than sure it will suffice but if there isn’t that big difference in how good colors look and how good dark scenes look then i will go with the XG. I want to still be able to play night maps on games or horror games or in general be able to enjoy dark areas without grey everywhere but i heard that the XG handles it relatively well.

PCM2

I’m not sure what you mean by “still active”. It’s only from May this year with the last reply from earlier this month?! Every thread on this forum is “still active” if a user replies.

The XG240R was “tuned the hell out of” in our review and the comparisons drawn in this thread are based on that. You can’t “tune the hell” out of the screen surface, colour gamut or inherent weaknesses in colour consistency due to the panel used. I really can’t add more to this, our reviews of both models are extremely detailed and the comparisons drawn here and in similar threads provide an excellent summary of things. The rest is for you to decide, it’s not a binary choice and is down to personal preferences. It’s quite clear to me from what you’ve said that the C24G1 would be a more appropriate choice, but you may think otherwise given the information available to you here.

Avrahammer

Sorry, i saw it was from May but didn’t notice the last reply was from this month.

I used the term tuning the hell out because it seems that only you guys knew how to improve the display on the XG in your very detailed review, but after what you said and after reading again through both reviews (the best i ever seen btw so thanks for them!) i think i am going with the C24G1. it was a tough decision because both sound pretty damn amazing for such a low price.

The only thing that concerns me is that i see a lot of talk over Quality control and having to return monitors sometimes. Is this something to worry about with AOC? because i am no expert (upgrading from a simple Samsung 60hz PLS monitor) and i am afraid i wouldn’t be able to tell if something is wrong unless it’s very obvious. Also, is it a bad thing having to resort to ICC Profile or is it no big deal?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 141 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.