Budget 144Hz+ monitor for FPS games

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 141 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Dac90

Hi good people of PCM!
      I have searched the forums/discussions, and I see many good advice for budget 144hz screens. However, few OP’s specify what the monitor will be used for.
      Therefore I hope to get some advice for a budget 144hz gaming monitor which will specifically be used for FPS (mostly csgo + apex). Now and then it might be used for other games, such as dota, but not as serious or competative as the fps games.

My budget is 300 usd, and I have been looking into the following monitors:

AOC C24G1

AOC G2590FX/PX

ViewSonic XG2402

ViewSonic XG2401

ViewSonic XG240R

From what I can gather, the XG240R might be the obvious choice, but I am very much hoping for some advice on this. If I can save 100 bucks and get a XG2402 or the curved from AOC and be just as happy for my use, that is a good option.
      Anyways, hoping for some advice. Have a good day everyone.

Rgds, Dac

PCM2

Update: Deeper into this thread some newer IPS options are discussed such as the AOC 24G2(U), 24G2SP(U), BenQ EX2510(S) and Acer XB253Q GP.

Hi Dac90 and welcome,

I can appreciate that these models are covered elsewhere on various forum posts here and cross-compared all over the place. With users having a variety of uses. So I’m happy to have this thread as a place to focus those thoughts and centre things around FPS gaming. That is, itself, quite a broad genre and there are different types of gamer – and they will find different types of monitor appealing.

The ViewSonic XG240R that you mentioned really sets the bar in terms of pixel responsiveness and proper pixel overdrive tuning. This is why it is used, where possible, as a reference in our recent reviews. It shows how things look where pixel responsiveness isn’t really a limiting factor. Especially at 144Hz, where it gives a very ‘clean’ performance without any real overshoot or conventional trailing to speak of. The XG240R also has an exceptionally flexible OSD (On Screen Display) menu system. And as covered in the review, offers good options to tweak gamma. This is very important, because there’s a massive amount of inter-unit variation for models which use that panel. And that’s any 24″ 144Hz Full HD TN model on the market (23.6″ and 24.5″ variants use different panels, naturally). So with some of these other models you might be stuck with gamma that’s too low and with no way to correct it through the OSD – making the image look ‘washed out’. No other model has quite the same flexibility and precision of tuning with their pixel overdrive as the XG240R, either. Take the BenQ XL2420Z for example – gamma and overshoot are both issues there. And I’m afraid to say the same thing applies to a fair extent on newer BenQ XL Series models such as the XL2411P.

The ViewSonic XG2402 is quite similar to the XG240R. Certainly in terms of its OSD flexibility and overall design and ergonomic functionality. The ‘ELITE RGB’ lighting feature and deletion of red elements (matte black used more extensively) are the main features of note on the XG240R that don’t apply to the XG2402. The pixel overdrive isn’t quite as well tuned on the XG2402, but it’s still very well tuned. And I don’t think most users would notice a difference or have any issue when compared with the XG2402. Until recently the price was generally lower, but now ViewSonic are more aggresive with the XG240R’s pricing, it stands as a recommendation. If strong 144Hz responsiveness is your primary concern this (or even better, the XG240R) should absolutely be top of your list.

The ViewSonic XG2401 does not offer pixel responsiveness that’s as well tuned as the XG2402 and certainly not as well tuned as the XG2401. But it’s still pretty decent using the optimal setting. The OSD flexibility isn’t as good and unfortunately that inter-unit variation I mentioned earlier (with all models using this panel) means that you may be left with uncorrectable gamma issues. Some units, like our review sample, are just fine in that regard. But others are not. Given the improvements to pixel response handling, more flexible OSD and what I feel is a better design (less chunky base etc.) I’d recommend the XG2402 or XG240R over the older XG2401.

The AOC G2590PX/FX uses a variant of the same panel found on all current 24.5″ 144Hz Full HD TN models – including the ASUS VG258QR and Acer KG251QF). The image quality is a step above the 24″ models, like the ViewSonics. In terms of overall richness and consistency of colours. It’s still very much a TN model and it’s not a scratch on the improvement you get from the C24G1, explored shortly. But it does offer an edge as covered in the review. Where it falls down, though, is that it has obvious (to me and users sensitive to them) ‘interlace pattern artifacts‘. Dancing ‘scanlines’ if you prefer. There’s further discussion in this thread. Another more minor issue is that the panel itself is not quite as responsive and there are some more noticeable weaknesses in pixel responsiveness compared to the ViewSonics. This might not be as noticeable as the ‘interlace pattern artifacts’, generally speaking. And even for FPS gaming I’d consider the monitor to be capable – although the ViewSonics would still be my pick if you’re sticking with the TN path.

The AOC C24G1 is a model I’ve recommended to many happy FPS gamers. Colour quality and contrast performance is simply a large step above the TN models. Pixel responsiveness isn’t as good, although I have recommended this even to competitive gamers of CS:GO, Rocket League and other fast-paced titles and they find it surprisingly fine. Sometimes they make use of the ‘Strong’ overdrive setting and put up with a bit of overshoot for the faster pixel response times. Other times (particularly CS:GO) they’ll use the MBR feature which gives an edge in motion clarity beyond even what the ViewSonics can deliver. As long as the frame rate matches the refresh rate exactly, the user can tolerate flickering and the brightness restrictions etc. Quite a few users have actually come from faster TN models to that one because they wanted something that gave them a nice boost in image quality without massively compromising on responsiveness. And that’s what the AOC delivers, really. It won’t be right for everyone and some will prefer the pixel responsiveness of the ViewSonics, it’s very subjective (and situational if using MBR).

TLDR; the ViewSonic XG240R is a superstar for responsiveness, offers good ergonomics, OSD flexibility and reasonable image quality. A great choice if you value responsiveness above all else. The XG2402 is a close second and actually better value generally speaking, due to the generally lower price. These two ViewSonics are better choices than other models using the same panel. The AOC C24G1 offers a very nice blend of image quality and responsiveness and is superior to others using a similar panel. The AOC G2590PX/FX and related models are tough to recommend giving my personal preferences and experiences, but some users certainly enjoy using them for FPS gaming and various other tasks.

PCM2

I should also mention that all of the models being discussed here also support Adaptive-Sync and will work well with Nvidia’s ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ or AMD FreeSync. Based on user feedback there and more broadly the experience you get as an Nvidia user using Adaptive-Sync is broadly similar to using FreeSync as an AMD user. So there are no monitor-specific and GPU-specific issues to worry about there. Some early reports of flickering or other anomolies turned out to be game or graphics driver specific. The only exception I’m aware of being that the G2590PX/FX seem to have some issues with pixel overdrive on Nvidia GPUs (it doesn’t work with Adaptive-Sync enabled).

Dac90

@ PCM2

I can only express my deepest thanks for this thorough reply. It is very much appreciated and I will for sure let you know which one I end up with, and if I am happy with the choice.
            Right now I’m feeling the XG240R, as I believe its a monitor that will last (for my use) for years..I dont want the screen to bottleneck when I upgrade my computer, and I am fine with 1080p for quite some time.

Again, thank you very much. I hope others find need for the topic aswell.
            Best regards!

jaykay

Hi.
              I was looking for a fast 24″ 144hz TN panel and bought the vx2458-mhd. Decent monitor, however, I can’t seem to get enough brightness/ gamma out of it for counterstrike, which really needs lots of brightness and saturation to look good (game is dark and desaturated by default).
              Also, I can’t use the Ultra Fast response time which was praised for it’s pixel response, because it causes obvious white trails.

Was thinking of upgrading to the 240R. There isn’t really a better option for me when I am looking for the best responsiveness + brightness in that price range, is there?
              If I bought the 240r, would there be some way to find out whether I got a bad contrast unit or not without expensive measuring tools?

PCM2

Yes, the ViewSonic XG240R would be an excellent choice. Unlike the VX2458-mhd it offers excellent flexibility in the OSD to alter things like saturation and gamma. It also offers a higher peak luminance, should you need it.

To be clear, though, the ViewSonic models don’t have a specific issue with contrast. Or at least, nothing that is specific to them and not one of the dozens of other models using the same panel. The vast majority of them will have either decent or good contrast, few will be poor in that respect. Without an appropriate measurement instrument you’d have to assess this by eye. I wouldn’t recommend anything more than using the monitor normally, in a dim room if you sometimes view in such conditions, and seeing if you notice an obvious issue there. You’d probably notice black depth severely lacking compared to, for example, your VX2458-mhd if you had a rare unit with ‘bad’ contrast.

jaykay

Really thanks again for sharing all your wisdom and the fast replies.
                  I found a xg240r at 220€ which is just 40€ more than the vx2458-mhd. Too good to pass up I thought.

PCM2

My pleasure, I hope it works well for you! 🙂

TomD

This is a difficult one, there seems to be so much choice at 1080p 144hz 24″

My usage will be mainy for playing Overwatch at 144hz

I wanted to spend under £200, it seems like it’s between the XG2402 and the AOC C24G1 based on what you’ve written above. I wonder how common pixel issues are on the XG2402. Are there any known defects with the XG2402

Melodo

Hello guys,

I’ve been searching this monitor for a few days
                        But i didnt see review of the ASUS VG258QR, can u give me some info please ? is it worth to buy ?

Thanks in advance 🙂

PCM2

@ TomD

Indeed it is difficult, but yes I’d narrow it down to those two for your usage and budget. You’ll have to weigh up for yourself how much you value image quality over responsiveness. But as I say above, I feel the C24G1 gives a very nice mixture of both. And I’ve recommended it to many users who game fairly competitively and find it works well for them.

@ Melodo

I’ve merged your thread with this one. I’ve given information on the ASUS VG258Q(R) above and specifically comparisons you should be drawing with other models we have reviewed that use a similar panel. In short; not recommended, but some users will like it. Nothing more I can say on that one.

TomD

Should I be concerned about the potential gamma defect on the XG2402?

PCM2

No, because as covered in the review there is plenty of flexibility to overcome that in the OSD.

TomD

I do have the chance to pick up a used AOC G2460PF for a very good price. I’ve seen your review from this monitor but it’s back from 2015 so I suppose you won’t remember it too much. Do you think the AOC G2460PF can still hold up okay for entry level 144hz?

PCM2

Unless you’re talking about £80 or something like that then:

1) It isn’t a good price for such a poor monitor and
                                  2) It’s too risky. Monitors are not generally something you want to buy used. There are many reasons people will return a monitor and it could well have significant issues even if not technically faulty.

It doesn’t really matter that it was a while since I used the monitor. I remember it well and the review is sufficiently detailed to invoke vivid memories. The ViewSonic is vastly better and is worth paying more for. It’s also worth buying it from somewhere with a good returns policy and supporting this resource in the process.

Tjccs

For some reason on my local Amazon the Viewsonic XG240R is cheaper than the XG2402, so between the XG240R and the C24G1 which one would be a better bet? For games I play mostly CSGO/Apex in terms of FPS the rest are just non-competive games, since a do spend a good bit of time looking at text( programming) would the VN panel on the C24G1 be a better pick? I’m trying to decide if the extra 70€ are worth it or not. Btw I own a RX580.

PCM2

Hi Tjccs and welcome,

As covered in this thread, it’s ultimately a decision you need to make yourself based on your preferences for image quality vs. responsiveness. It’s good that the XG240R is cheaper for you than the XG2402, though. It really is a superbly responsive monitor and from a competitive point of view that can be a very nice thing. Though the superior image quality of the C24G1 is nice for non-competitive gaming. And as covered here and in the review, it can still offer good competitive-level gameplay with the right settings and provided you’re not too sensitive to the drawbacks mentioned like overshoot and some remaining weaknesses in pixel responsiveness. It’s not a simple choice and there’s really no right or wrong answer I’m afraid. Depending on what you’re used to, either model should be an amazing upgrade for your gaming enjoyment with an RX580.

Would your local Amazon be Amazon.es by any chance? If you’re not automatically redirected to your preferred location on our links, please use the links on this page instead. 🙂

Tjccs

Hi @ PCM2 first, yes it is Amazon.es and about the Overshoot/drawbacks, since I’m using probably a 10year old monitor I bet I won’t even notice the drawbacks at all. I guess I comes dowe to Image vs Response time. And the extra cash.

Falcolx

Hi @ PCM2, i want to know which monitor i should get, the choices are the XG240r, C24G1 or C27G1. I will be playing games like rainbow six siege, league of legends and CSGO, i will also be using the GTX1660ti. I would like to know which monitor is best for these games. The reason im asking is actually because i heard the color quality is not that great on the XG240R which was my first choice.

PCM2

Well you’ve come to the right thread then, but ultimately there’s nothing more I can say to wring out the comparisons further. Ultimately you need to make the choice yourself based on the extensive information in the reviews and the comparisons in this thread. There’s also a thread comparing the 24″ and 27″ AOCs.

What I would say, though, is that “I heard color quality is not that great” with reference to the XG240R is very vague. That’s explored in a lot of detail in the review and that is going to give you the best idea of what to expect in that area short of actually seeing the monitor yourself. It isn’t “great” (in the literal sense), but it is decent. It’s not its main strength, though it could be way worse and there are certainly worse options out there (including others using the same panel).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 141 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.