Budget 144Hz+ monitor for FPS games

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 141 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    TomD

Thanks for the reply regarding the pixel issue. I did actually notice another one, it’s only noticeable on a black background and it’s multicolor.

The black dead pixel I see on a blue background disappears on a white background or when I move my cursor over it, but I think you’re right about it not being noticeable under normal use and the retailer I bought it from has no more stock so a replacement isn’t an option right away

But yeah, overall very impressed with the monitor. Having IPS and 144hz just really is worth it, you don’t realise how washed out TN panels are until you move to IPS

PCM2

Well I’m glad you’re enjoying it, aside from the pixel defects. Hopefully you’ll forget about them in time and find them easy enough to ignore. I have some pixel defects on my S2716DG that I’ve been using for quite some time now, but I rarely notice them normally and they just don’t bother me any more. Hopefully it’ll be the same for you with your 24G2U and you can focus on the positives of the experience.

sinne

First of all, I want to thank you PCM for your hard work.
          I’ve spent two entire weeks getting into the high refresh monitor game. I found an answer to nearly all questions on several known sites, sometimes even in replies of yours given to questions on YouTube!

Now here’s the last question where I will need a subjective opinion on:
          Do you think the XG240R is worth 90€ (78£) more than the XL2411P (taking into consideration that my focus fully relies on the competitive aspect)?

Personally I want to believe so but I’d be glad to hear your thoughts.

PCM2

Hi sinne,

I appreciate the kind words.

Ultimately, it’s your money and you’d have to decide whether the ViewSonic is worth it for the advantages it brings (my own recommendation is clear). Two key advantages to the ViewSonic:

1) Better-tuned pixel overdrive. The BenQ provides significantly more overshoot using its optimal setting, whilst delivering no practical advantage in terms of perceived blur. The ViewSonic’s really as good as you’ll get from a 144Hz sample and hold monitor in that respect.

2) Better flexibility in the OSD to adjust gamma. These panels are notoriously variable when it comes to gamma. Some are fine, others by default have extremely low gamma. Because each monitor is not individually tuned (applies to both products), the gamma settings are just offsets from a baseline. The ViewSonic gives you the flexibility to raise gamma a huge amount, if necessary. The BenQ does not – so the image can lack depth and saturation without anything you can do about it in the OSD.

The advantage of the BenQ, other than price, is its ‘Blur Reduction’ strobe backlight mode. Which some competitive gamers like. If they’re able to maintain a frame rate firmly matching the refresh rate, don’t mind flickering, locked brightness and some of the other associated issues with such settings.

TomD

I thought I’d ask this in this thread as I think this one is best suited

I’m looking at picking up a used 144hz monitor to go along side my 24G2U as 144hz and 60hz monitors still don’t work properly without issue, anyway, I’ve been looking at the AOC G2590PX – Bearing in mind it won’t be used for gaming at all, it’ll just be as a secondary for browsing and videos, are the interlace pattern artifacts noticeable when doing things like browsing/scrolling pages and watching videos?

PCM2

Yes, they are. At least I found them so. All it takes is for you to scan your eyes across the screen a certain way, follow the mouse cursor or any movement on the screen and they can appear.

TomD

Thanks for the response. I think I’m just going to purchase another 24G2U and run it along side my other one. I’ll just leave gsync turned off on the secondary one as it obviously won’t be used for games so I shouldn’t have any issues running 2 should I ?

PCM2

As long as the one you’re using Adaptive-Sync on is set as the primary display, that should work well. Although I don’t see the harm in running both monitors under ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ either.

Mettstulle

Thank you for all the Information and Tests thats found on this site 😀

Im currently using a Dell U2515H (1440p) primary and a Samsung SyncMaster P2370 (1080p) as a Sidekick.
                      Sadly the Sidekick starts calling for retirement so i need something new.

Im using a Vega 56 and play all different Genres from Point-to-Click to RTS to FPS .

I have no experience with a curved or Freesync Monitor so im open for Suggestions.
                      Additional USB-Ports and Audio are unnecessary. Any suggestions for 24″ or 27″ at ~70cm viewing distance?

These are 2 possible candidates i found. What do you think?
                      24G2U
                      U2719d

PCM2

Hi Mettstulle and welcome,

Those monitors are both very good, in there own ways. If you want excellent colour reproduction and a rich and natural image that’s fairly faithful to the original (sRGB) source, plus a nice resolution – that’s what the U2719D delivers. The AOC 24G2U offers a more vibrant (but less accurate) image but benefits from a greater refresh rate and somewhat higher contrast ratio. The colour consistency is strong on both models compared to TN or VA models, although stronger on the Dell. You aren’t going to see the image looking ‘washed out’ or notice obvious gamma shifts from a normal viewing position on either.

Since you’re used to a 60Hz monitor and perhaps haven’t used a 144Hz monitor, you wouldn’t know what you’re missing. It’s a very personal decision whether to go for a high refresh rate monitor (which you’ll need high frame rates to get the most out of) or a higher resolution instead. There’s actaully a topic specifically dedicated to refresh rate vs. resolution, but I’m happy to leave your post here instead. And really that thread just reinforces that this is a decision that you will have to make yourself, because it’s a very subjective and individual choice. 🙂

franciscogalaz

Hi!
                          I didnt wanted to create a whole new post and felt this belongs here.

I searched the forum and didnt see any comments regarding the monitor
                          ASUS VG248QG.
                          I wanted to know if anybody has an opinion of it. The main purpose is for FPS games (hence speed).
                          If anyone has this monitor I would appreciate their feedback, as I am between that and a cheaper ViewSonic VX2458-mhd

Thank you very much!
                          Kind regards
                          Francisco Galaz
                          From Santiago, Chile

PCM2

I haven’t used that model I’m afraid, but as per our news piece it uses a panel I’m very familiar with. And one that’s put to excellent use with appropriate flexibility in the XG2402 and XG240R, hence why we recommend those on various threads including this one. Having just scanned the user manual for the VG248QG, I can’t see any gamma options there – that’s a huge red flag for any model using that panel, because they’re known to show such inter-unit variation in that respect. And the VG248QG is not advertised as being factory calibrated (and it won’t be to any real degree of accuracy) so some of them will be stuck with gamma that’s far too low and hence a washed-out image.

The same applies to the ViewSonic VX2458-mhd, it lacks any proper gamma options. Although it uses a slightly different panel that seems less prone to extreme inter-unit variation with gamma. According to user feedback I’ve seen it’s still there, though. It would perhaps be the better bet out of the two models you’ve highlighted. I very much doubt you’d be disappointed with the responsiveness of that or the ASUS model, though, and you said that was your main focus. I still feel the XG240R is the one to beat in that respect. The VX2458-mhd doesn’t quite match it, but is pretty well-tuned and certainly a fast monitor. I doubt you’d be disappointed with the ASUS in terms of responsiveness, even though I have no reference for exactly how well the pixel overdrive has been tuned.

franciscogalaz

Thank you for your feedback! It has been very helpful!

I was able to find, for even a cheaper price than the ASUS, the XG2402 that was recommended as a second option after XG240R. I think I will buy that one following the recommendations from this thread.

I will post my thoughts when I receive it !

Greetings from Chile!

Mikelespi

Hi,

Im looking for a decent monitor gaming, i usually play shooters so i prioritize low input lag, but i play too RPG games so i dont want a TN panel with very low input lag and horror image quality, i want something decent. My budget is around 230. What monitor do you recommend ?

I read your review of AOC C24G1 and i have some questions.

1. There ls difference on input lag between this VA monitor and other similiar TN monitors?

2. I read that this monitor have 4ms input lag, is this true or you have to activate something on OSD.

Thanks for all the work you do, It helps so much.

PCM2

Hi Mikelespi,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as it’s an approriate place. I’d highly recommend having a read through it.

We measured an input lag of 3.97ms on the AOC – an explanation of what this means/entails is included in the written review. There’s only very limited room for a lower input lag level than that. The measured value includes an element of pixel responsiveness as well. Which, as covered in the review and highlighted in this thread, is a key area where TN models are stronger. When it comes to signal delay (the element of input lag you ‘feel’) the C24G1 is as fast as they come. You don’t need to activate any specific setting in the OSD for this. As pointed out in this thread and various others it’s a model that many people are quite happy to use for gaming, it suits those after a good mixture of responsiveness and image quality with an emphasis on strong contrast.

ccgb

Hello everyone!

I’m from Brazil and I need to buy a new gaming monitor. I want my monitor to be 24 inches, 144hz/240hz and 1ms. I don’t have a high budget it would be around 300~350USD. I searched for some recommendations and reviews and narrowed down to 3 options (I accept other options aswell!).

Acer Predator XB253Q GX – I didn’t find any reputable review about this monitor. It seems it’s the same as the XN253 but with an IPS panel, it also claims to be 0.5ms

BenQ XL2430T – I think this monitor should do the job with 144hz it looks amazing and the features matches what I’m looking for, but I’m a little worried to buy this one because it is 5 years old, isn’t a little late to buy this one?

Alienware AW2518HF – Looks good, 240hz 1ms is great. I’m a little worried about the features, maybe it’s something in my head but I feel like BenQ has more to offer.

Any other suggestions is appreciated!

Thanks in advace.

PCM2

I don’t specifically recommend any of those models. I’ve merged your post with this thread, which is one of several discussing the models I do recommend. Having said that, the Acer XB253Q might be a good one to consider. It isn’t available in most markets so I have no feedback to give or any experience with it.

Really, the best choice depends on the specific games you play, your own personal preferences for image quality vs. responsiveness and the frame rates you’re likely to achieve. If you’re not going to frequently drive above 144fps then there’s really no point in going for a 240Hz model like the AW2518HF. You might appreciate the superior image quality of the XB253Q and if not then instead consider the 144Hz TN models such as the ViewSonics recommended in this thread. If you do frequently game above 144fps and play competitively, 240Hz options might make more sense. The pricing of the Alienware in comparison to others may well make it an attractive choice, however.

ccgb

Thanks for the answer PCM2!

As I’m playing mostly FPS games with low quality I don’t care much about the image, I prefer performance over quality, but I would gladly trade a 1ms monitor with garbage image for a 2~4ms with a good image. I like performance and I’m very competitive but I’m not looking to become a PRO. I have a 4k screen laptop that I can use for watching movies, so this monitor will be mostly for Gaming.
                                        I have a gtx 1070 and I could hit the 240 fps in CS:GO and maybe Valorant. But I also play COD, so It won’t hit that mark. To be honest, I don’t really think I need a 240hz monitor BUT my biggest concern getting a 144hz is that I’m buying a monitor to last a couple of years and I’m scared it’ll be outdated in 4 years or so.

I look at some of your reviews and the recommendations you gave on the other thread and I found some interesting picks.
                                        240 hz – The AOC AG251FZ2 and Acer XB253Q (Do you think the IPS will have a big impact on the input lag? it claims to be 1ms but as I was seeing there is no real 1ms)
                                        144hz – Asus VG249Q (TUF Gaming), AOC 24G2 and ViewSonic 2402. There is only this ViewSonic model here in Brazil, it has a nice price but I’m a little bit concerned about it’s design…

Could you give some more insight?

PCM2

You’re right to be cautious of the specified 1ms response time – but that’s an (extremely misleading) indication of pixel response time, it doesn’t indicate input lag. The IPS models can have good low levels of input lag, that was certainly the case with the AOC 24G2 we’ve tested and recommend. Pixel responses are quite respectable for 144Hz, but still lag behind the TN options. The AOC is actually quite well-tuned, so as noted in the review even some competitive gamers would find it fine for responsiveness. But the TN models being considered here will still technically provide an edge which some will appreciate.

Given that you play CS:GO and Valorant and are looking at the monitor as a long-term investment with the view that you will probably upgrade your GPU in the future, that does actually make the 240Hz options more appealing. I assume you listed the Dell Alienware AW2518HF in your initial post due to price and availability. And you’ve said that you value responsiveness above image quality, but don’t want things to look “garbage”. The nice thing about the 24.5″ TN panels (including that used on the Alienware) is that it provides superior image quality to the 24″ 144Hz TN options. This comparison is drawn a bit in our review of the Acer XN253Q X. The panel used is more consistently well-calibrated when it comes to gamma. There is also less variation in perceived saturation and gamma vertically, plus they’re generally better for black uniformity (less clouding etc.) So I think this could provide you a happy medium, whilst giving you some room to grow into a new GPU where the 1920 x 1080 resolution will become easy to drive >144fps even on more graphically demanding titles.

ccgb

Thanks again!

Just to finish my decision, the AOC AG251FZ2 is about 70$ less than the Alienware AW2518HF. Do you think the extra bucks is worth it?
                                            I have a Dell XPS15 4k laptop and I know about the quality of Dell, but I’ve never used AOC before. (also there is a promo which the aw2518hf is cheaper if it comes with the alienware mouse, not that i need it, but I can sell it after.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 141 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.