Dell G2724D thoughts and feedback

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 67 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    djkrisdee

@ Momchil – Very nice setup. Honestly if you aren’t obsessed with horror games like I am, you can’t go wrong with that IPS screen.
      Also I switch a lot between PS5 with LG 42 OLED in my bedroom, and PC with LCD monitor in living room.
      Before I bought my OLED, low IPS contrast didn’t bother me that much.

Roostyla

After a more extensive review period with this monitor I am noticing in the darker areas and shadows I get a loss of detail, its too dark and sometimes in competitive games like Hunt Showdown it can be problematic. On the Lagom black level test page I can’t distinguish the top row of boxes 1 to 5. This is very much like West’s post here on the MSI mag274qrf-qd where they describe it as ‘black crush’

https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/making-sense-of-the-current-27-1440p-144hz-ips-segment/page/15/

My settings are

OSD
        Custom Colour to preference
        Brightness 24
        Contrast 78

Nvidia Control Panel
        Digital Vibrance 72%

What I have noticed is that the sRGB performs much better in this regard and I can easily distinguish all squares, the downside however is I find the colour very poor for my taste (washed out green) . Unfortunately this mode locks off any custom colours via the OSD. To get around this I am heavily utilising the Nvidia control panel to bring it to my taste. My question is, is there a better method to go about this? How can I improve the black levels without having to use sRGB mode and NVCP. If any users wanted to test my settings here they are

OSD
        sRGB mode
        Brightness 24
        Contrast 78
        Nvidia Control Panel – Colour enhancements
        Red
        52%
        52%

Green
        42%
        45%

Blue
        52%
        52%

Digital Vibrance 73%

Novideo sRGB
        ICC profile Dell G2724D rtings
        Calibrate Gamma to asbolute 2.2
        Dither Default

PCM2

There’s an awful lot going on there. As you have probably discovered, adjusting colour channels in Nvidia Control Panel is no replacement for actual controls on the monitor, which will correct more appropriately and with fewer negative consequences. Also, try observing the Lagom Contrast Gradients when adjusting Nvidia Digital Vibrance to make sure you aren’t crushing shades together too much (you will be to some extent, because that’s exactly what a digital saturation enhancement like that does). You’re clamping the gamut closer to sRGB and then pushing shades closer to the edge of that restricted gamut with the adjustments you’ve made.

As noted in my post on the other thread, an LCD with correct ‘2.2’ gamma tracking shouldn’t have super distinct blocks on the first row of the Lagom’s Black Level Test. It isn’t ‘black crush’ if the first few are difficult to distinguish, it’s appropriate gamma behaviour. However; does ‘4’ appear close to invisible if not invisible and ‘5’ look far too indistinct just using the monitor as is without these adjustments? If so it’s because the gamma is higher it should be for dark shades. I believe the ‘Console Mode’ setting allows you to access a gamma control so you could try reducing that. But it’s not just going to selectively enhance black depth and I don’t know if that mode is particularly good to use otherwise. Not really sure what else you can do on the monitor side. Perhaps a better approach would be to select “Calibrate gamma to” and select ‘sRGB” in novideo_sRGB if you prefer some uplift to darker shades.

Roostyla

I couldn’t distinguish any of the first row with my original settings, I did try your advice on ‘calibrate gamma to sRGB’ in novideo_SRGB and that did the trick! i can have the increased black levels while using custom colour OSD and not have to mess around with Nvidia so much, thats all been put back to stock.

Console mode is greyed out so I’ll have to investigate how to enable that option although i read that might lock to 120hz max. With regards to not relying on Digital Vibrance (you are correct at 72% I like i cant distinguish past 27 on blue) is it viable to increase offset or saturation values within an OSD? I have RGBCMY values at 50% , could you just up them all to 60% for example or does that have negative consequences too?

PCM2

Increasing saturation in the OSD has a broadly similar effect to Digital Vibrance, you just get finer control as the channels are separated out. Offset skews channel gamma so is a bit different, slight adjustments to that should be fine but might not have the effect you’re looking for.

PCM2

Just a quick update as it appears the G2724D is finally available in the US on Amazon.com. This is now in the “may review” pile, but it depends on whether Dell or their PR team can provide a sample. I may be able to slot it in as a video format review if nothing else. This will include some of the data from the written reviews that I don’t usually include in the video reviews (gamma, some contrast and brightness measurements, pursuit photos at 60Hz and 120Hz etc.) The level of preparation, time and effort required for the written content is far greater and I’m finding I’m really enjoying the video formats more myself at the moment. So I will be even more selective about which models have full written reviews going forwards, but all of this will increase the total number of models covered.

https://twitter.com/pcmonitors/status/1712841441716613618

Daniel

Hello, I currently use a 42inch C2 OLED and searching for a 27inch 1440p monitor I got to this two, the Dell G2724D and the Alienware AW2724D.
                  I ordered the AW2724D (should get it tomorrow) because of the LG panel witch might be superior in my opinion but reading here on other thread, this monitor might come with a AUO panel.

I noticed on the rtings site that the both panels are diferent in terms of pixel shape, see here: https://ibb.co/TKVZMrW
                  It can easily be picked with a modern smartphone or camera, just photograph a white picture/background.

I had a 27850B a few days ago and shiped it back due to the panel height adjustment, it simply was too high but overall, it was perfect at 165hz.

I will post tomorrow once I get the monitor.

PCM2

As noted in our news piece, it’s either an LG Display or BOE panel that the AW2724D comes with. Based on screen surface it appears the RTINGS sample had the LG Display panel. Look forward to your thoughts on it, but they’d be better placed over in this thread.

PCM2

Somebody on YouTube just posted a few initial positive impressions of the G2724D they just received:

“I just got it, it is really good, I can’t really test the contrast rate or anything but I think it’s really good, I thought the size was gonna be too big but it’s perfect. I’m used to really vibrant saturated colors so this is a bit more realistic for me.”

jbennett360

Looks like this is on offer again in the UK at the minute.

Habari

So I got the dell to go with my LC power 27 qhd 165, the one that uses similar BGR panel to the M27q, and idk, something is suspicious.

I can maybe understand the colours, the dell is kinda lifeless compared to the LC power, both on standard settings, the weird thing is, the dell has noticeably worse contrast. Not 800:1 maybe, but def. not 1400 that rtings measured. The LC power has around 1200:1 and blacks look grey on the Dell if I actually compare the two. It’s not bad per say, it’s bad when you compare the two if it makes sense. The LC power looks “clean” the dell almost has like a light grey filter over it, not sure if I’m making sense here.

If it wasn’t for the superb motion on the Dell I would have returned it first day.

PCM2

Are you able to take a photo of the monitor, switched off in a well-lit room (typical daylight ideal)? I’m quite confident from the mixed feedback on the G2724D that they’re interchangeably using multiple panels and the screen surface can be a giveaway.

Habari

Sure, I’ll give it a try tomorrow when I wake up.

Habari

Sadly it’s been cloudy here for almost a week now, not much light getting in the house. Took some pics but with the lights on, so not sure how much help it could be. any other way to check?

Here’s an imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/6cQvYnW

PCM2

I appreciate the effort and it is helpful actually. I was kind of hoping the photo would show a stronger matte screen surface that was very different to the ‘light to very light’ matte in the RTINGS review. But it looks from the photo like it has a similar screen surface. That doesn’t mean it’s the same panel, but it likely rules out it being an alternative BOE panel at least.

If you run Test UFO at 60Hz for a few minutes (might not even take that long), do you notice any temporary image retention or other artifacts form during the test that weren’t there when you first start running it? If you do then don’t worry, they will fade when you use the monitor normally again. But this is usually associated with an AUO AHVA panel and rarely observed for other IPS panels.

Habari

Yeah it’s almost like there’s other faded ufo’s inbetween the normal ones, on all 3 bands. and they get progressively “mushier” like at first you can see the individual ghost images and then it kinda becomes smudges in between the ufo’s. Does this make sense?

Bad photo but you can see the smudges after I made the test fullscreen ufo

PCM2

Yeah that’s typical AUO AHVA behaviour. So maybe there’s just some odd contrast lottery going on rather than a panel lottery.

Habari

Wish these calibrating tools weren’t so expensive so I could get some actual numbers and stuff. Can’t even find a place to rent one locally. I improved the contrast a bit by lowering the gamma of the dell in nvidia cp, to 0.94, looks better now. still worse then the BGR panel but it doesn’t seem as huge of a difference rn. tho even the colors are different between the two, which could be down to the BGR one being a bit crap calibration wise from the factory (from what I saw in reviews online).

djkrisdee

I have sometimes image retention from UFO test on Philips 288E2A. 4k 60Hz panel from Innolux.

PCM2

@ Habari

The gamma doesn’t affect contrast or the representation of pure black or pure white, just shades between. So if your observations were of dark shades other than black then it could still be that the monitor has strong static contrast (similar to what RTINGS measured, in theory) but the gamma is just messed up. The gamma calibration (or lack of) does seem to be variable on the G2724D.

@ djkrisdee

Yeah, I’ve seen this on a few 60Hz models before. But I don’t recall seeing it on higher refresh rate panels unless they’re from AUO.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 67 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.