Best 1440p 240Hz+ Gaming Monitor?

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.

• Author
    PCM2

As there are quite a few threads covering these 240Hz+ 1440p gaming models, I thought it might be useful to list some of them here for easy reference. There’s a huge amount of information to absorb in these threads, but there are a lot of useful thoughts there on specific models and comparisons:

https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/gigabyte-aorus-fi27q-x-vs-dell-alienware-aw2721d/
      https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/dell-aw2721d-user-experience/
      https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/asus-xg27aqm-impressions/
      https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/asus-pg279qm-impressions/
      https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/is-the-samsung-odyssey-g7-c27g75t-the-best-27-va-option/

OneSavi

Hello all. I’m looking for a 1440p 240Hz monitor. I am wearing the M27Q-X. It is available in my country for around $ 625, while other 1400p 240hz monitors cost $ 875. I also have an Acer Nitro XV272UXbmiipru at the same price as the M27Q-X. Will the M27Q-X be as much or is it worth paying an extra $ 250 for more expensive models such as AlienWare, Asus, etc.

PCM2

Hi OneSavi,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as it’s a suitable place. I’d recommend reading through it and also the focused comparisons in other threads linked to in my previous post. The AW2721D is my key recommendation as it offers a decent level of HDR support which is comfortably above the other offerings and is a well-rounded product in many respects. I’d particularly recommend taking a look at this thread, which not only covers the Dell extensively but also includes some points of comparison with the Acer XV272U X (preferred shorthand designation for the Acer model you mentioned).

I haven’t received specific feedback on the Gigabyte M27Q-X, but it most likely uses the same panel as the Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-X. It has more basic build quality and slightly different ports and associated features, but our review of the AORUS alternative should give a good idea of what to expect from it. I’d also recommend reading through this thread, because it specifically compares the Gigabyte with the Dell Alienware alternative. Whether it’s actually worth spending the extra for the Alienware is really for you to decide, you might be very happy with the M27Q-X.

OneSavi

Thank you very much for your answer. I think I will go for this M27Q-X because it is definitely cheaper(250$) than others monitors in my country.

PCM2

Understandable. Please feel free to share some impressions here when you’ve had a go with it.

PCM2

If you’re still following this thread, do you have any feedback to provide on the M27Q X OneSavi?

I’m not sure which panel this one uses, but my assumption it might be based on the same panel as the FI27Q-X (Sharp LQ270T1JG04) appears to be incorrect. This user has posted an image from the M27Q-X which shows a regular RGB rather than BGR layout. They posted to confirm this on Reddit and left further impressions here which seem positive with respect to colour vibrancy, gaming performance on Apex Legends and text clarity as a software developer.

PCM2

I’ve come across a pretty thorough Russian review from 3D News of the M27Q X. Hardware Unboxed (HUB) has also released a review which echoes these findings, some points added in italics. Seems to be a solid option overall and hard to grumble based on the retail price in most regions. Some key points:

– Based on images, appears to use a light to very light matte screen surface. Similar to FI27Q-X.

RGB stripe subpixel layout (re)-confirmed, not BGR like the M27Q.

– ~1100:1 static contrast (slightly higher than FI27Q-X). HUB measured 1170:1 with their calibrated settings.

– Same peak brightness under SDR as HDR, 460 cd/m² which is pretty generous for SDR. Minimum brightness is 44 cd/m² which is fairly low. This is quite comparable to the FI27Q-X in both respects.

– Gamma on their unit a bit too high ‘out of the box’ – it has additional gamma settings they didn’t appear to test, however. HUB’s unit had pretty good gamma tracking with the default setting, averaging ~2.2 with just a few kinks but nothing of huge concern for general-purpose usage.

KSF phosphor backlight used with 450nm blue peak (i.e. not adjusted to be ‘less energetic’ than normal). 92.4% DCI-P3 coverage measured (close to specified 92%) alongside 95.6% Adobe RGB. That’s a bit lower than the 94% DCI-P3 and 99% Adobe RGB we measured on the FI27Q-X. This can vary a bit between units and depending on measuring equipment (HUB measured 93.6% DCI-P3 and 96.8% Adobe RGB) on the M27Q-X. That’s certainly decent Adobe RGB coverage which gives good potential for work within that colour space and provides good vibrancy potential to greens and cyans.

– Pixel responsiveness is comparable to the FI27Q-X based on 240Hz pursuit photos, if not a touch faster for the medium background of Test UFO using the ‘Picture Quality’ setting on M27Q-X and ‘Balance’ setting on FI27Q-X. Using the ‘Balance’ setting on the M27Q-X might be preferred if you don’t mind some overshoot, but only really at 240Hz or a bit below as otherwise overshoot is likely to become overbearing. At 240Hz the overshoot with this ‘Balance’ setting is perhaps less ‘in your face’ than some of the overshoot you’d get using the ‘Speed’ setting on the FI27Q-X, whilst conventional trailing is largely similar elsewhere. The ‘Speed’ setting on the M27Q X is useless due to overshoot.

– As with competing models without G-SYNC modules, it doesn’t deliver a single overdrive mode experience under VRR. The ‘Off’ setting is broadly considered optimal for double digit refresh rates due to overshoot levels there using ‘Picture Quality’. The FI27Q-X’s slowest setting is ‘Picture Quality’ – so they’ve changed the naming really, but that behaves similarly to ‘Off’ on the M27Q X and is your reserve setting for double digit framerates and low overshoot.

HUB confirmed low input lag, with only a 0.4ms signal delay (main element of input lag you feel).

I’ve also now received confirmation on Twitter that this model uses the Sharp LQ270T1JG29. This panel isn’t used in any other monitor as far as I’m aware, so just like the other Gigabyte models mentioned here the M27Q X is entirely unique. 🙂

PCM2

This post adds some thoughts on the MSI MAG274QRX and its comparison with the Gigabyte M27Q X, with both models based on the same panel.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.