Asus PG279QM Impressions

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Red_Negan

I’ve always big a big fan of AUO panels. Always felt they had leading performance and Asus and Acer have done good work with their panels over the years. This to me is the best performing display I’ve used to date.

Looks –
      See for yourself. [IMAGES REMOVED BY EXTERNAL HOST]

Gameplay –
      This display is like butter, the new Gsync module feels smoother than ever and had me questioning why I’d ever go back to Freesync, it’s that damn smooth. You feel very connected to your station, each keystroke, mouse movement felt instant; just the best-connected feel I’ve had. Playing both Red Dead 2 and Cyberpunk, two of the best examples of dips in busy scenes, and I never felt it skipped a beat. I play competitive Ark and PVP has been a blast especially for a game that can dip and rise depending on how many structures and the Gsync module here was a blessing.

Menu –
      Love the menu system, having the sRGB and Wide Gamut toggle is a great feature making this the most versatile display I’ve used. You can hardware calibrate this display and in fact, don’t need it but more on that later. I don’t find the nipple for menu control as smooth or solid as the FI27Q-X but it does the job fine. Being able to whiz in and out of the menu on the fly isn’t a burden with this monitor.

Screen Coating –
      I’d describe it has medium matte with a smooth finish, a little worse than the FI27Q-X here but better than something like the XG279Q or Samsung G7 for clarity and lack of grain.

Picture Quality –
      Fantastic. With these high-end monitors, it almost feels like there’s some image processing going on because things start to look much fuller and lusher, prob due to lack of color blend and good. It’s still an IPS so darkroom users need not apply, however; with local dimming on you can get a satisfactory result but there are not enough zones to be hugely effective. Being IPS it isn’t as effortless as even something like an 8zone found in the G7 but I believe it offers better or close dynamic range in HDR.

This is a multiple-purpose monitor with both sRGB and Wide gamut support with the dominant colorspace being aRGB.

You switch between sRGB and wide gamut in the menu. This allows users to hardware calibrate their display for sRGB use and then toggle to wide gamut for Photo, HDR etc. The sRGB switch has multiple uses including a pre-calibrated sRGB mode which locks brightness but in racing mode, everything is fully unlocked and because this is an sRGB switch, you can tailor it to your needs with white balance controls and gamma; awesomesauce. The contrast of the display is similar to the FI27Q-X and AW2721D and I’d say the overall picture of the FI27Q-X is a bit cleaner but the Asus certainly has a lot more going for it.

Quality Control –
      Terrible as always, AUO panels have this weird star lighting effect, not obvious until you crank the brightness, easily over 40 small sub pixels flashing, dust under the panel. I’ve never seen an AUO panels without something wrong, I’ve seen this star lighting effect in 5 FI27Q-X’s too which is a sharp panel. I’m going to play the lottery with the Asus as I’m quite thrilled with it.

I’ll keep it short and sweet!

PCM2

Thanks for another valuable contribution to the forum, Red_Negan. Having somebody compare this model provides to its main competitors provides a really valuable insight. For the benefit of others reading this, impressions have also been shared on the Odyssey G7 vs. AW2721D and further input with respect to the FI27Q-X. I’d highly recommend other registered users interested in these sorts of comparisons give Red_Negan’s name a click and take a look at his posts. 🙂

I was always fond of this model myself – or the thought of it at least – based on the Hardware Unboxed review which confirmed it to be fast and well-tuned. With pleasing pixel responses right across the VRR range and an impressively fast 240Hz performance. And a properly implemented sRGB emulation mode. Not one that cuts off lots of other settings, but as I’ve seen on usually more expensive models such as the PG32UQX – a fully flexible one. I noticed you used the phrase “hardware calibrate”, but in this case you must be referring to using calibration hardware to create an ICC profile. Rather than hardware calibration of the monitor (i.e. accessing its LUT) directly, which this model doesn’t support as far as I’m aware.

It’s nice to see somebody sensitive to screen surface ‘lightness’ and graininess put things into perspective as well, as that’s a crucial detail most reviewers miss off and user won’t comment on unless it’s a very obviously grainy or a very reflective surface. It’s worth exploring this a bit for others unfamiliar with what we’re discussing here. Based on pictures of the screen when it’s switched off I’d probably refer to the PG279QM‘s screen as ‘light matte’ or ‘relatively light matte’, but it’s difficult to say without seeing it in person. ‘Medium’ could well be a more appropriate classification. Either way, this is based on an entirely subjective and broad classification system compared to other models I’ve used, for a complex 3D structure 😉 . So others are aware, when I use the term in reviews I look at glare handling properties and how much layering there appears to be in front of the image as a result of the screen surface. The screen surface smoothness or how grainy things appear is considered separately as you can have a surface that’s rather ‘light’ but also rather grainy – ~27″ ‘4K’ UHD models are particularly prone to this. Does the ASUS have a ‘glassy’ quality to it for you if the screen is switched off or displaying darker content and you’re sitting in quite a bright room (as in – a few sharpish or well-defined reflections of brighter objects or light sources)? The FI27Q-X certainly has this and the AW2721D would to an even greater extent – i.e. in somewhat dimmer lighting.

Was also curious about what you’re referring to with respect to the “star lighting effect”? It sounds like a uniformity issue but I’m having a hard time picturing what you’re referring to exactly.

sayhejcu

Gsync is really smooth. Wish there was an objective test about gsync vs vrr.

PCM2

G-SYNC is a form of VRR technology, but I assume you mean vs. non-module VRR like Adaptive-Sync (e.g. ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’). 🙂

And yes I agree with this. For reference to others reading, sayhejcu and I discussed this a bit in this thread (I reference that thread in the main G-SYNC article on the site, too). I’ve anecdotally found models with G-SYNC modules to have an extra level of smoothness with their VRR operation compared to ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’. Fewer episodes of ‘micro stuttering’, but as mentioned on that thread it’s really difficult to pinpoint and isolate. Making it tricky to test or discuss in a review. Not everyone would be sensitive enough to such things to notice this difference and VRR always gives great benefit to me compared to not having such a technology. But G-SYNC with the module certainly seems to have the edge, which seems to tie in with what Red_Negan is feeling with the PG279QM.

asiafan

I have a question, does IPS monitors nowadays have the screen coating similar to VA panel monitors, which is like semi glossy?

PCM2

I’d recommend checking some of our recent reviews as screen surface and its effects on the image is always covered in some detail. Modern VA monitors actually typically use what I’d refer to as a light matte anti-glare screen surface. This isn’t as low-haze as the solution many VA models used to use and it isn’t semi-glossy, but it’s ‘lighter’ than what your typical TN model and most Full HD IPS models use. The AOC PD27 is pretty representative of your typical common VA monitor screen surface. IPS models use a range of screen surfaces depending on the model – for example, the Acer XB323U GP has a surface I’d classify as very light and some might call semi-glossy. The FI27Q-X I’d classify as light to very light matte. Both of these are lighter than your typical modern VA screen surface. As a Full HD IPS-type model, the Dell Alienware AW2521HF‘s screen surface is medium matte, so not as light as typical VA model.

asiafan

Ah, interesting. I like to see some of them, and what are their differences, I’ll go and check them out. Thanks for the info.

Red_Negan

It certainly is one of the best displays I’ve used regardless of panel type. I also am interested in the XG27AQM I was tempted to give that one a try on my way back to the PG27AQM (My unit had far too many stuck pixels) although it doesn’t have a dedicated gamut switch like the PG279QM.

The screen surface is something I’m very sensitive to which is why I appreciate you bringing it up in your reviews as it does dictate how a screen looks regardless of capability. For me, this could’ve been lighter but considering what this monitor offers, it’s a none issue with this model.

Some of the worst screen surfaces I’ve seen are those found on the AUO TN panels at 240hz, hideous were my thoughts but it’s very much personal preference. I never found this to have a glassy quality, I too noticed this on the AW2721D, S2721DGF, and LG GN950. The PG27 reminds me of the AW2521HF to a degree I’d have to see that model in person again to be sure so this is from memory.

With the Starlight effect, this was an issue I encountered on a few of AUO displays where huge clusters of subpixels would be lit on a black screen, hard to see at distance, and due to the IPS glow(This unit did have quite a prominent glow)had to get close to the screen but once I saw it, unseeing them was impossible. There were lots, easily counted 50 and prob much more. I’ve found this issue rather common and strange. I tried to photograph it but it was hard to focus due to the glow and turning down exposure made them hard to photograph.

I’d be interested to see if you get a unit if yours has any of these quirks, or mine was bad luck. I’m currently waiting for another unit so touch wood! If I do manage to grab the XG27AQM I’ll report my findings with that model.

PCM2

I understand from your posts elsewhere you’re considering going back to the AW2721D due to the “starlight effect” issues and other pixel defects on the AUO panel models you’ve tried. Did you end up trying the XG27AQM or did you decide to cut your losses based on the PG279QM?

I have to say it’s disheartening to read that such issues persist on multiple units and indeed across multiple models. I really hope this isn’t pointing towards the dark days of the original high refresh rate AHVA panels. Which I refused to heavily recommend due to various QC issues. I have to say that user feedback on models with the 32″ WQHD AUO panels (Acer XB323U GP etc.) has been largely positive, but for 27″ models it has been more of a mixed bag. Based on what you’ve said about the Alienware (including in this thread), I do feel your views of it were largely positive and I think that probably makes sense for you. It’s a shame about its lack of sRGB emulation setting – perhaps Nvidia will implement something similar to what AMD has in their driver at some stage. Can’t say I’m holding my breath, though.

Red_Negan

I decided to cut my losses. There are just too many bad things I’ve experienced and colleagues of mine who also own the PG279QM who have multiple dead pixels it’s just such a shame because the PG279QM is in my opinion the best high-end gaming monitor I’ve used. It wasn’t easy because with the PG279QM I found a display that I could’ve easily lived with for a long time but I just don’t want to go through many units to end up disappointed despite it having an incredible feature set.

The AW2721D I do mostly enjoy with its only weakness being lack of sRGB toggle/mode. The PG279QM is in my opinion a better monitor for features and versatility but the AW2721D does the advantage in picture clarity in that there’s no grit or grain to the display so you get a very clean image, looks great for things like highlighting finer lines on busier scenes which I find a heavier matte to make things appear a bit layered and blurred in comparison. The HDR is also quite strong considering what it’s working with, 32 zones and a decent burst in the top end does give a decent dynamic range compared to other HDR400 and HDR600 displays but it’s not mind-blowing.

I’m also holding out for a decent gamut clamp from Nvidia or even a Dell update like Msi have done with their OD 165hz model as this Display really needs one.

Anthos

The AW2721D I do mostly enjoy with its only weakness being lack of sRGB toggle/mode.

If you have an Nvidia GPU you can try this:
                          https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/pakpy9/srgb_clamp_for_nvidia_gpus/

PCM2

Did you create this tool, Anthos? It appears similar to another tool discussed briefly in another thread. A limitation with the other tool was that it required the application to be running in a mode other than exclusive fullscreen. It was also a bit complicated to install in my view. This one looks more promising, although the Reddit thread just mentions:

“If you want to try it, grab the latest release.zip under Releases here, extract it somewhere, and run the exe. Usage should be self-explanatory.”

The release.zip is found here. If you’re not familiar with GitHub, it isn’t immediately obvious where that is found from the link provided in Reddit. The original post there should probably point this out. 🙂

Edit: Having tried this briefly on the FI27Q-X, it seems to work in a very similar way to AMD’s driver-side toggle. This is very encouraging! I may well cover this in the sRGB emulation article. Since this uses an “undocumented feature” which can be accessed using NVAPI, it’s beyond me why Nvidia don’t just add this as a checkbox to the driver!

Anthos

No it’s not my tool. I just happened to come across it on Reddit. And by chance I happened to come across it when I was in a dilemma on whether I should get the AW2721D and get stuck at a wide gamut (still haven’t bought the monitor fwiw).

There were a few comments on Reddit but it didn’t get a huge traction. Personally I think this is a monumental tool. I’ve come across so many people that returned a wide gamut monitor because there was no sRGB emulation and didn’t like the saturated colours and obviously with this tool this would have been a none issue. And even those that are fine with the saturated colours it still gives you the option. I think this tool should have been a front page mention on every single hardware site in my honest opinion.

PCM2

I couldn’t agree more – fantastic tool. I’ve updated the sRGB emulation article and now have a video accompanying it up on YouTube which covers this tool. Thanks for bringing it up here. 🙂

Cimbom55

Hey there!
                                  Little late to this haha but I am a little bit concerned because of the Inputlag at 60Hz.
                                  I heard that the Inputlag at 60Hz is really bad and terrible…
                                  Can you tell me more about that?
                                  Thanks!

PCM2

Hi Cimbom55,

For whatever reason, ASUS models quite often have fairly high input lag at 60Hz compared to higher refresh rates and compared to some competing models from other manufacturers. I haven’t tested the PG279QM myself and I’m not sure if there’s a source that has accurately measured input lag at 60Hz. But you may be thinking of people referencing input lag of the PG279Q or more likely VG279QM rather than the PG279QM at 60Hz. What I would say is that input lag is much less of an issue at 60Hz in general compared to higher refresh rates (to an extent, at least). There’s always an increased felt latency at 60Hz even if measured input lag is very low – likewise a moderate input lag of say 16ms might not be as much of an issue at 60Hz as at much higher refresh rates. It’s very subjective and is probably something you should consider for yourself based on experiences rather than figures. Unless you know you’re sensitive to input lag on 60Hz models it’s not something I’d worry about. Especially if you’re not going to be spending a lot of your time running the monitor at 60Hz.

Cimbom55

Thanks for the reply.

You are right, I guess. I have to check it myself rather than judging the Monitor based on some numbers. I think, I am going to replace the AW2721D for the Asus. Are here some other user with the PG279QM? And if so, can you recommend it? How is the Monitor?

PCM2

You’re unlikely to get a reply from other owners as this forum doesn’t have a high volume of general traffic or a large user base, usually just people browsing for feedback on particular monitors or uses because they’re interested in buying a new one. For reference, I’ve shared my own thoughts on this model in comparison with the Dell in this post. You may have already read this, but just posting this again for the benefit of others reading this thread.

For a bit of background as Cimbom55 emailed before posting here. They currently use the AW2721D and liked it in every way but have been suffering some viewing comfort issues. There are many factors that can contribute and although many people find the AW2721D fine in that respect, there are potential issues with glare or reflections on the screen surface in some lighting. And also the fact it has a distinct energetic peak of blue light without the peak being shifted to less energetic wavelengths or the rest of the spectrum being ‘balanced’ out. The PG279QM has stronger anti-glare properties and has a QD LED backlight solution with more balanced spectrum, so I do feel it’s worth giving it a try.

Cimbom55

Thank you very much for the detailed answer, I really appreciate it! I think, I will give it a try.

Red_Negan

The PG279QM is a good monitor, I think the downside is the pricing. Having switched to the MAG274QRF-QD and seeing the value at £399 it offers it’s hard to recommend paying double for a display that isn’t actually that much faster in use nor offers any color gamut improvements but if one needs full Gsync and doesn’t care about price to performance it’s solid. I think your current Alienware has a lot to offer like Light screen surface, Gsync, nice build and design I think choosing between that and the PG27 I see them as equals offering different strengths. From a value stand point it’s not worth it in my opinion. If you don’t mind losing some Hz you could go for the XG27AQ which is 170hz, has solid calibration and a lighter screen surface with a similar design.

While I like 240hz I think it’s important to look at your FPS and games you’re playing to see if it’s truly a benefit because they really do come with a premium. 60hz performance I can’t speak for, didn’t try it. I like the AW2721D a lot, I find it hard to recommend another 240hz monitor over it unless someone really need the extra gamut coverage of a Quantum dot display.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.