Best 1440p 240Hz+ Gaming Monitor?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Agile

I’m really looking forward to your reviews of the WOLED monitors and your take on fringing. Currently use the M27Q so very used to fringing from BGR, but don’t find it a problem. I’ve also used a QD-OLED (not the right form factor for me) and didn’t find the fringing annoying. I use the monitor not just for gaming but spend a lot of time on the desktop and do AutoCAD design as well. OLED really appeals to me but still waiting for the right model.

Thanks for all your work!

PCM2

Hey Agile,

As it happens we’ll be publishing an article specifically looking at this fringing. I will say in advance that if you’re looking to spend a lot of time on the desktop and also do AutoCAD then I would stay clear of the WOLED models. I’ll share a link to the article when it’s up, anyway. For 240Hz gaming that’s another story entirely as you’ll see in the upcoming reviews. 🙂

Gragas

Hey, looking forward to your review.
          I am still hesitating because of potential burn-in issues.
          This monitor is predestinated for esports games and fast paced shooters.
          After reading some posts on Reddit and in some other forums, people with OLEDs tend to hide HUDs, but those people are talking single player games and some games just require HUDs.
          RTings long term burn-in test shows, that TV channels with a lot of static content or large logos are prone to severe burn-in.
          Take for example CSGO or League with a lot of HUD elements, mini maps etc. – is this not the same pitfall as shown in the RTings test?
          On one hand, those new OLEDs are advertised with such games as a prime use case, on the other hand, especially those games have high risk for burn-in.
          Is this burn-in topic overblown, or do we have to wait for long term data?

PCM2

I don’t want to say the burn-in concern is overblown, because I don’t want people to come complaining to me if they experience it. But I think going to extreme lengths such as hiding HUDs in games in unnecessary, unless you game for very long periods of time. The PG27AQDM has a ‘Reduce Logo Brightness’ feature that could help there as well. I only have limited experience with such models myself, though the AW3423DW is still going strong without any issues after a year, including extensive use for productivity and my partner used an OLED laptop for >3 years without issue). My recommendation would be to simply use them in a fairly similar way to LCDs but take the precautions pointed out in our reviews of such models. Including enabling at least some of the burn-in protection features, letting it run its pixel refresh cycle, setting Windows to turn off the screen after several minutes of inactivity, avoiding using a bright taskbar etc.

The RTINGS testing on TVs shouldn’t be a particular cause of concern, either, as it doesn’t translate well into normal monitor usage. The brightness the screens run it is far beyond normal SDR brightness for a monitor, which is what you’ll have them at during regular usage. That’s limited by the manufacturers on monitors for good reason. Their testing using monitors will certainly be worth keeping an eye on, though again that’s a largely precaution free torture test (even if brightness will be more limited on some screens compared to the TVs).

PCM2

Our review of the ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM is now live. As you can see, an exceptionally fluid 240Hz experience though not outright better than LCD alternatives in all areas. Particularly if you’re wanting to use the monitor for a fair bit of productivity as well as entertainment.

In other news, we’ve been tracking availability of the Gigabyte M27Q-X in multiple regions and it appears to have been effectively ‘discontinued’. We’ll keep an eye on this but for now we’ve removed it from the recommendations section. The MSI MAG274QRX has also showed poor availability, so it’s possible Sharp has been having production issues with the panel. Gigabyte and MSI don’t currently have a newer version of these models that could be considered instead. But the Dell Alienware AW2723DF discussed earlier in this thread could be a decent alternative based on performance, current price and availability.

PCM2

And our review of the LG UltraGear 27GR95QE-B plus a comparison thread covering the ASUS and LG. Extremely fluid 240Hz experience from both, probably worth checking out if you fancy dipping your toes into the OLED waters and are a fan of exceptional responsiveness. 🙂

PCM2

The MAG274QRX mentioned in this thread appears to have been discontinued in most markets and replaced by the G274QPX. This one’s priced ~$380 USD which is very attractive and it has a wider DCI-P3 gamut than its predecessor (98% vs 93% specified) plus better USB-C PD (65W vs 15W). I don’t hold out much hope MSI will have a sample as they’re extremely selective about the models they offer, which is why we don’t typically review their models. But I may look to acquire this by other means if there’s sufficient interest.

PCM2

Some discussion related to the Dell Alienware AW2724DW can be found here.

Temiah

Hey there,

I would love to see a review of the G274QPX. I havent been able to find any MAG274QRX locally near me so interested to see how it compares to the MAG274QRX!

PCM2

Noted, I hope it’s possible to get hold of one at some point. 🙂

PCM2

The Gigabyte M27Q X rev. 2.0 has now been listed by Gigabyte. So I expect to see this model reappear with its new panel. Specifications appear similar overall but I noticed a 1ms MPRT response time (using ‘Aim Stabilizer Sync’) replaces the old 1ms grey to grey specification. Probably just a technicality rather than a real world performance difference. And also a 94% DCI-P3 gamut is specified compared to the old 92% DCI-P3 / 140% sRGB. It has also gained around 0.5kg of weight.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.