MSI MAG274QRX vs Gigabyte M27Q X

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    PCM2

Ever since reviewing the Gigabyte M27Q and AORUS FI27Q-X, we were pleased to see the overall balance that Sharp managed to bring to the market with their IPS-type panels. They targeted a wide gamut with a skew more towards Adobe RGB than DCI-P3, which some will prefer and is in many ways more unique. It also makes them quite versatile when it comes to photography, image editing and printing. The screen surface was also pleasing to me, with a light to very light matte anti-glare finish that allows quite direct emission of light and doesn’t have a grainy finish. Whilst still offering decent glare-handling. Pixel responsiveness was decent and most would find quite well-balanced, whilst unlike Nano IPS alternatives the contrast is a bit above rather than below that specified.

A key criticism with these ‘earlier’ Sharp panels was the BGR subpixel layout, which can cause ‘fringing’ issues for text and other fine edges and requires certain optimisations which can’t be made in all programs. And which can’t be made in Windows in a setup with multiple monitors where screens with BGR and regular RGB subpixel layouts are mixed. Recently we summarised a few reviews of the Gigabyte M27Q X, which makes use of a newer Sharp panel with regular RGB subpixels but which retains all the good points from the previous paragraph. It’s also very well-priced for a 240Hz WQHD IPS model, which is very nice to see.

Gigabyte M27Q X

Gigabyte M27Q X

MSI MAG274QRX

MSI MAG274QRX

One of the YouTube review channels whose data we’ve included in the summary, Hardware Unboxed (HUB), has now also reviewed the MSI MAG274QRX. They state it’s based on the same panel as the Gigabyte M27Q X (Sharp LQ270T1JG29) and it seems to put that panel to good use::

– A single overdrive mode (‘Fast’) provides a good experience across the entire refresh rate range. It’s broadly similar in terms of overall experience at 240Hz to the Gigabyte using its ‘Picture Quality’ setting – slightly faster for some transitions, slightly slower for others but should look and feel similar overall. At lower refresh rates this setting remains useable without strong overshoot, unlike the ‘Picture Quality’ setting of the Gigabyte where strong overshoot creeps in at low triple digit and especially into double digit refresh rates.

– The Gigabyte’s ‘Balance’ setting provides faster pixel responses at 240Hz with lower overshoot levels than MSI’s ‘Fastest’ setting. So for some the Gigabyte could be considered better at very high refresh rates, particularly 240Hz or thereabouts if you don’t mind moderately high (not extreme) overshoot. But I know a single set and forget setting for overdrive without too much overshoot is nice to have and that’s what the MSI offers.

– Low input lag, 0.4ms signal delay.

– Similar contrast to Gigabyte, 1217:1 measured.

– Similar peak luminance to the Gigabyte, again unrestricted for SDR vs. HDR at 472 cd/m². Minimum brightness is significantly higher than the Gigabyte at 82 cd/m² (vs. 44 cd/m²), but will still be fine for most people who will set the monitor beyond that. Just not for particularly light-sensitive individuals.

– Good factory gamma calibration.

93.4% DCI-P3 and 97.4% Adobe RGB gamut coverage,

– sRGB, DCI-P3 and Adobe RGB emulation settings included to cut back on the gamut in various regions, as appropriate. Brightness is adjustable, based on other MSI models I believe colour channels are locked off with all these modes (or changing them will deactivate the gamut clamp). The sRGB mode on the HUB unit seemed a bit overzealous with cutting down the gamut, but certainly reduced oversaturation from over-extension in the gamut beyond sRGB.

– Fully adjustable stand including tilt, swivel, height and pivot adjustment, whereas the Gigabyte only offers tilt and height adjustment (130mm, like the MSI).

I’d really echo the conclusion they made, which was that both models offer a convincing performance for the price and you can’t really go wrong with either option. The Gigabyte is somewhat cheaper at time of posting, ~$450 vs. ~$550. In addition to the added luxury of a single overdrive mode experience under VRR (or simply where refresh rate needs to be switched) and a suite of colour space emulation modes, I’d say the MSI might feel a bit better built. Largely because of the quite ‘plasticky’ and almost hollow-feeling stand base of the Gigabyte. That might be a small thing to consider, particularly if you’re not into tapping the monitor base with your fingers, but still worth mentioning. 😉

PCM2

[reply to striker333, original post deleted]

The feedback I’ve directly received on the MSI (and based on user reviews on Amazon etc.) does seem to suggest a bit of an edge in quality control over the Gigabyte. But you’re not guaranteed that either unit will be perfect in terms of pixel defects etc. and I’d wager that 3 defective pixels was rather on the unlucky side with the M27Q X. Might be worth trying your luck with one more M27Q X and if it is also problematic waiting for the MSI instead?

As covered in my initial post and in HUB’s reviews, the MSI offers a nice ‘single overdrive mode experience’ for VRR. A set and forget setting, which is useful if you play a broad range of content or play content with a great range of frame rates. Which would likely apply in your case, with Apex Legends. If you don’t mind a bit of overshoot, the ‘Balance’ setting on the Gigabyte should suit at higher refresh rates at least. Since you’ve already tested the Gigabyte, you should have a feel for what to expect from it in terms of pixel response time. Did you use the ‘Balance’ setting or did you prefer ‘Picture Quality’?

striker333

Thx very much for the fast reply . for the QC some people told that the MSI have less bleeding too but ofc it depends on your luck . for the M27Q X I used both balance and picture quality but I didn’t used them extensively cuz I returned the monitor after 7 days but I used picture quality more . the problem with the MSI that I don’t know any specific date for availability so I asked if it worth the waiting . I am so sensitive when it comes to audio and any thing related to monitors specially some monitors causing me headache and I don’t like motion blur and high ghosting . I had Samsung g7 odyssey before the M27QX and sold it due the excessive curve which causing headache and bad viewing angle and guess what I didn’t like its colors . I don’t care about inky black or VA panel advantage . but ya the G7 was little smoother than the M27Q X for me . thx again

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.