Making sense of the current 27″ 1440p ~144hz IPS segment

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 301 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    jbennett360

Ahh dang it!

Why didn’t they like it?

PCM2

Just that it wasn’t vibrant enough for them, so they’ll decide on a wider gamut alternative the G2724D for a similar price.

savingstimes

Did they want more vibrancy from a wider color gamut? Or just not IPS at all? I would’ve thought about ~1200:1 on a IPS is near the top of what you’d get. Or was there something else making it less vibrant (maybe a gamma issue?).

I’m guessing that rules out the G2724D as using a Nano IPS panel?

Now I’m conflicted on getting the 2724GD or the ViewSonic Omni VX2728J-2K. The only review I could find on the Viewsonic measured a 950:1 contrast.

Hard to decipher the overall video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBHd86vrdsk

Albeit on spec it has a higher color gamut (90% DCIP3 and 131% sRGB). And for what it’s worth Vesa ClearMR 5000 rated.

PCM2

It was the colour gamut that they found disappointing as they mentioned they were on the hunt for an alternative with wide gamut. Their previous monitor was a wide gamut IPS (but 60Hz) and they were looking for similar colour representation but superior responsiveness. Unfortunately the the ViewSonic isn’t available here in the UK, otherwise I’d request one for review. That video review of the ViewSonic uses a SpyderX Elite colorimeter which can’t accurately measure low black points and is therefore not good for accurate contrast readings. It tends to under-report slightly (though not as significantly as older Spyder devices) so I’d expect actual contrast to be a touch above 1000:1.

PCM2

For those interested in standard gamut models in this segment, the Gigabyte GS27Q is one to keep an eye on.

jbennett360

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up. Any ideas of panel etc?

PCM2

Not yet, the product page has only just appeared. As it’s Gigabyte it won’t be known unless somebody does a teardown or confirms from the service menu.

Bruizer

Any knowledge or insight into this Acer model? XV271U M3bmiiprx

It’s on Amazon here in the US. “Displayspecification” seems to indicate it’s only an 8 bit (6-bit + FRC) panel so not super exciting. I don’t even see it on Acer’s website.

PCM2

The preferred shorthand designation is XV271U M3 and we have an article on that one confirming the panel used. Don’t pay too much attention to DisplaySpecifications when it comes to things like that , they often incorrectly specify FRC usage if it isn’t specified by the manufacturer themselves (and it isn’t in this case). That’s an odd placeholder to use for 27″ QHD models, though, as it’s very rare to see 6-bit + FRC – and indeed this is a true 8-bit panel.

Bruizer

Ah! Completely missed that! Thank you! 🙂

Still looking for that perfect replacement from Acer for my defective XV272U KV. I believe. Holding out hope! Though I’m starting to hear more about these soon to be IPS Black panels with 2000:1 contrast ratios. May hold out to see what fruit those bare.

PCM2

Don’t hold your breath for high refresh rate IPS Black panels. None are currently in any roadmaps I’ve seen and the reason for that is that they sacrifice pixel responsiveness for contrast. The technology as it stands isn’t even fast enough to make a proper go of 60Hz, let alone higher refresh rates. That’s not to say it won’t ever happen with future iterations of the technology, but it’s not guaranteed and you could be waiting indefinitely.

Bruizer

Well that’s a bummer. Maybe they can find a happy medium while maintaining pixel responsiveness. Even 1500:1 would be nice over 1000:1

Thank you for your insight!

Degrader

While the following panels are from AU Optronics and so not from LG Display these also feature a 2000:1 contrast ratio in combination with a high refresh rate, quoted from TFTCentral

Gaming panels with the higher contrast ratio IPS
                              Likely of more interest are some other newly listed panels which will offer some gaming potential too. LG.Display have yet to announced any high refresh rate IPS Black panels in their range, so it’s good to see AUO offering some in their alternative technology.

34″ ultrawide IPS with 120Hz – First up and is the company’s first 34″ ultrawide IPS-type panel offering as well (previously only planning VA-type panels in this size). The M340QAR01.1 has a 21:9 aspect ratio, ultrawide format and a 3440 x 1440 resolution. It also has a 120Hz refresh rate and a 2000:1 contrast ratio. In other specs there is a 300 nits brightness and 98% DCI-P3 wide colour gamut. Production is expected to start in June 2023.
                              27″ with 1440p and 120Hz – a smaller 27″ sized screen with a 2560 x 1440 resolution and 120Hz refresh rate. The M270DAN11.0 has a 2000:1 contrast ratio along with a 350 nits brightness and 98% DCI-P3 wide colour gamut. Production is scheduled for Q2 2023 at the moment.
                              It’s not clear why these panels are being listed as only 120Hz when even the entry level gaming panels tend to be 144Hz or 165Hz nowadays. Perhaps the refresh rate spec will be updated, or perhaps there are additional challenges in driving high refresh rate on these higher contrast ratio IPS panels for now. Time will tell.

PCM2

Will definitely be interesting to see how they fare when it comes to pixel responsiveness. I wonder if AUO have decided to go for 120Hz simply to differentiate them from the IPS Black offerings and offer something unique, even if pixel responses can keep up – as TFTCentral said, it’s interesting that they appear to have specified 120Hz rather than a bit higher. I’d wager the pixel responsiveness will be a bit better than IPS Black offerings but not competitive with current mid refresh rate (~144Hz – 180Hz) IPS offerings, though I’d love to be proven wrong.

boomkeg

Are you guys aware of any more very light or light matte gaming displays that may have come out recently? Something maybe not mentioned on PCM list.

Was gonna get M27Q rev 1.0 but it’s not avaliable for me.

PCM2

Pretty much all of the monitors mentioned in this thread have at least a ‘light’ matte anti-glare screen surface. Determining exactly how light isn’t an exact science and isn’t something that is specified by manufacturers. It can only be properly assessed by seeing them first hand and there is certainly a subjective elements to this classification. Sometimes images and photos of a monitor with certain lighting conditions can help identify such screens as well.

PCM2

Some coverage of the HP OMEN 27q over on this thread. Unfortunately it’s plagued by the use of multiple panels, so you aren’t ever quite sure what you’re going to get. That’s not to say it’s a bad monitor, but that’s a pet hate of mine and certainly muddies the waters.

vonvorter

Not sure if all of these fit the criteria of this thread, but could I get a TLDR/rundown of any pros/cons you might know of these monitors? I know a lot of them are pretty new, so information is scarce. The biggest things I’m looking for is reasonable response times, and possibly a single overdrive setting.

Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx
                                        MSI G274QPX
                                        VG27AQML1A
                                        Dell G2724D

PCM2

There is some discussion on the Acer earlier in this thread (but note this post – it uses multiple panels which muddies the waters). It’s standard for Acer to be rather inflexible with overdrive modes and even lock them off (to ‘Normal’ which is generally well-tuned for higher refresh rates) under VRR. You’d usually want to use the ‘Off’ setting to avoid overshoot at lower refresh rates, if that’s possible. There is also a bit of discussion on the Dell. It’s an interesting option if you prefer a bit of extension beyond sRGB but not as much as the others – so less oversaturation and vibrancy for most content, in other words.

The MSI is a 240Hz model so fits in this thread. A few people have requested a review of that one and it’s very interesting based on its price and specification so I’ll see what I can do. The ASUS would fit in that thread as well, but I don’t have any feedback to share or thoughts on it (it is indeed too new). It appears to be a standard gamut model so won’t be as vibrant and saturated as the MSI using its native gamut, for example.

mrboat

Hello,

I have been recently looking into buying a new monitor and was interested in the previously mentioned Gigabyte GS27Q, but I see it did not release yet.
                                            I am wondering if there are any expectations of finding anything clearly better to a EX2780Q, as that one seems to be available to me.

I don’t care so much about Hz (as long as it’s 144hz at least) but responsiveness and image quality are big for me.
                                            I guess am asking a perfect monitor hahaha :))

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 301 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.