Making sense of the current 27″ 1440p ~144hz IPS segment

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 301 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    PCM2

The coverage is strong for cyans with ~Adobe RGB (you can see this from the gamut – the extension in the green to blue edge which encompasses cyans). So that certainly gives good vibrancy to oceans and sky blues. I just didn’t specifically comment on that in the written review for Battlefield though did make a vague comment about it for Shadow of the Tomb Raider “…some patches of sky blue, which looked quite overdone and less muted than intended.”

I’d recommend reading this article to improve your understanding of colour management and how this can be tackled. For colour-aware or ‘ICC aware’ applications ICC profiles (including the manufacturer-supplied one) can be all you need to help tone down saturation, but for universal correction you need to use sRGB emulation. Both methods are covered in that article. That’s why I was talking about the colour space emulation settings on the MSI models or GPU-level alternatives and how that can be useful to give a different ‘look’ to things. In my view different presets or quickly switching over the colour space mode on the MSI models is the most convenient way if you need to quickly switch up the look for different applications (which may not be colour-aware). If you like the extra vibrancy in some games or video content but not for others, for example.

Temiah

Thanks, I’ll be sure to give them a read!

PCM2

A thread offering a quick comparison of the MSI G274QPF-QD with the MAG274QRF-QD.

savingstimes

Trying to get more information on the MSI G274QRFW.

Can we assume it’s the same as the MSI Optix MAG274QRF.

but just just with a different shell (color, connectivity)?

As for why this specific monitor well it was $300 vs $400+ for the other MSI or 1440p high refresh options in general.

Although I also do have some concerns on how the white frame would affect things like perceived contrast.

PCM2

My previous post highlighted some of the ways in which seemingly similar models (one from the ‘G’ series and one from the ‘Optix’ / ‘MAG’ series) can have underlying differences. The only feedback I have for the G274QRFW is found earlier in this thread and it wasn’t overly positive. The MAG274QRF-QD has a significantly wider colour gamut than the G274QRFW so has much better vibrancy potential and is more useful for content creation without expanded colour spaces. If anything the G274QRFW is more similar to the G273QF/QPF, so it’s somewhat ‘cut down’ compared to the MAG274QRF-QD.

savingstimes

Managed to find a review of this (via China again) – https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1wg411z7B3/?spm_id_from=333.337.search-card.all.click

According to the review it uses AUO panel – AUO M270DAN08.2

84% Adobe RGB, 90% DCI P3

6700k target white (not sure what setting)

Contrast Ratio of 902:1 measured via SpyderX

Review has UFO pursuit shots but no direct response numbers, also only shots at the highest refresh rate.

PCM2

Really that review reinforces what I said in my previous post, the G274QRFW is quite comparable to the G273QF/QPF. And by extension, the MAG274QRF (non-QD). I’d add that the SpyderX is not the best tool for measuring contrast, as it isn’t good at accurately measuring low black points. I suspect actual contrast is somewhat higher than that.

Habari

Hello everyone, been reading here and all over the internet trying to pick a monitor to buy. This forum has been of great help, trouble is a lot of the monitors that people recommend are so damn expensive in Europe or no stock anywhere. I also need to avoid nanoIPS panels, tested a few at friends/relatives and my eyes bother me for some reason, to be fair I only tested LG’s and a dell.

Right now I’m looking into this lc-m27-qhd-165 by LC-Power, which honestly seems a bit to good to be true, but I can’t find many reviews, found a single one on a German website which says they measured 1300:1+ contrast with x-rite idisplay pro, good speed, slight issues with uniformity. Any ideas what panel does this monitor use?

I’m also considering the XV272U KV, which also seems to be barely in stock anywhere, and is also more expensive than the LC-Power one.

PCM2

I haven’t heard of that monitor or indeed that company, so I can’t recommend it specifically. But the X-Rite i1Display Pro is a good tool for accurate contrast measurement, so given the measurements it suggests an AUO or Innolux panel is most likely. If you’re specifically wanting to avoid Nano IPS panels, I think you’d achieve that with the LC-M27-QHD-165.

Habari

Ok, just in case other people are interested, another german review and they think it’s using the LQ270T1JG06 panel by Sharp, apparently the same one used in the M27Q? But if that one is BGR how is this one RGB?

PCM2

“It appears to be the Sharp LQ270T1JG06” (maybe a bad translation) doesn’t sound very convincing on its own. But based on the gamut they’ve measured and the fact it seems to be marketed as ‘IGZO’ IPS it does actually seem to be a Sharp panel. What made you think that it was RGB rather than BGR?

Habari

Ok, it seems to be the same monitor housing? and possibly panel as the Monoprice Dark Matter 27inch 180hz monitor, that one also uses LQ270T1JG06 from what I can find online.

If it really is that panel, the panel specs that I can find online all say RGB, but of course none of this is confirmed. I’ll buy it tho, as long as it’s still in stock next week, and see if I can find out exactly what it is. Don’t have any tools to measure stuff or calibrate, but maybe it will help other ppl nonetheless.

PCM2

The M27Q (as reviewed) actually uses the LQ270T1JG08 not the LQ270T1JG06, but they seem very similar. It’s incorrectly specified as having RGB when it’s clearly BGR (per M27Q) so you can’t really trust what’s specified for the ’06’ variant either. RGB is so common in comparison that it is sometimes just used as a placeholder and not changed for spec sheets – websites that rely on such things can spread misinformation as a result.

Either way, your thoughts on the LC-Power and its Sharp panel would be good to see. Even if it does turn out to be BGR, as I mention in the M27Q review this may not be an issue for you anyway.

Habari

Did some more investigating and now I’m almost sure it’s the same OEM or something as the Monoprice 42892 that was/is being sold in the US, which does use some kind of IGZO panel at least. They look almost identical (stand is different), and the OSD is exactly the same in both of them. Can’t find any info on RGB or BGR tho, so I guess I’ll have to see it in person.

Edit: sent an email to LC-Power and they said:

“The panel has indeed been manufactured by Sharp. The pixel configuration is RGB horizontal strip.”

I’ve ordered the monitor, going to be about 7 days until it arrives, I’ll post back with my impressions and whatever tests I can run without any tools.

Habari

Ok, been using the monitor for a few days now. Overall I like it, but there’s something where I don’t know if this is just IPS being IPS or windows settings.

It is indeed BGR, at least as far as I can tell. The motion is very smooth, I have it on medium setting, MPRT off. I’m using the “Standard” profile and colours look very good, but still not as good as a calibrated monitor, sadly, I don’t have a calibration tool, probably going to buy one.

Uniformity is OK on my unit, nothing really bad unless I actively look for it. The only thing that seems to match what I saw in the reviews online is that it has a sort of vignetting on the left and right side of the screen, so in some scenarios the screen looks like 10%-15% brighter around the middle area compared to the edges of the screen.

Contrast is really good for an IPS monitor, seems to be even better if I turn on HDR mode in Windows and watch an HDR movie.

Speaking of HDR, I can’t keep the toggle on in Windows since the colours look oversaturated as hell everywhere, don’t know how I would make windows colours for apps and general use to match the non HDR more. The monitor does have an “Autodetect HDR” feature, so at least I don’t have to toggle it on or off from there.

Not sure what else to write about, if you need like a picture of the screen or other pieces of info, please let me know, I’d be happy to contribute to the community here.

PCM2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the LC Power LC-M27-QHD-165.

Did you mean to say it is BGR rather than RGB? If so, you’re not finding this problematic in any way? Uniformity varies between units and there can be some shifts which aren’t accounted for in readings you’ll see in reviews, because they’re nearer the periphery of the screen than the measurement areas used (this is something we note when covering uniformity). If the vignetting disappears if you keep your head central but move further back, it’s viewing angle related. If not it’s a uniformity issue – which could potentially vary between unit, but it’s not all that unusual to see that to an extent with dual stage bezels. As they can cause a bit of pressure at the very edges of the monitor.

savingstimes

Posting a follow up about the G274QRFW (in case it also helps others) as I found another review, this time in text with more details so it’s easier to parse.

https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1745031864779673870&wfr=spider&for=pc

According to the review it is a AUO M270DAN02.8 panel (via factory menu) OPEN CELL (not sure what this means specifically) but with a custom back light (not clear how they come to the back light conclusion).

92% DCP coverage. sRGB mode that does not lock brightness (or other settings from what I understand) that clamps to 98% sRGB.

Max brightness was 311 nits in SDR and 350 in HDR.

Measured contrast around 1100:1 depending on brightness setting, maximum measurement was 1220:1. Although also with a SpyderX.

Out of the box gamma seems to track 2.2. Color temperature targets 6500 (review also goes in on how the monitor is tuned for low blue light). Not exactly clear on color accuracy, as the only mention was that it was factory calibrated like other MSI monitors.

As an aside I’m still trying to gather some experience in terms of how a white bezel might affect the usage perception. This isn’t full 4 frame white, and seems more off white matte though. I remember from the past having tried a glossy framed black monitor it was distracting, but bezels were also much larger then.

PCM2

Thanks for sharing that – a useful addition to this thread. A slight typo in your post as the M270DAN02.8 is a 60Hz panel from 2017-18. Very close, but the panel (or CELL) confirmed here is the M270DAN08.2, which is shared with the G273QF and MAG274QRF-QD. The latter actually uses the panel itself, which includes an integrated QD LED backlight solution. So any model without a QD LED backlight and with a weaker colour gamut as a result (including the G274QRFW) has to be using the CELL (panel without backlight included) with a custom backlight fitted.

I’ve used various monitors with different bezels and haven’t found the colour of the bezel to do much in terms of perceived contrast. The bezels are indeed very small compared to the screen area for a monitor like this. I only feel it would make a significant difference if you’re looking at the edges of the screen and pretty actively comparing the bezel to ‘black’ on the screen. Everybody perceives and filters information slightly differently, so perhaps for some it could have more of an effect. I agree that glossy bezels are a distracting pain, I’m glad few models use them now.

Habari

The vignetting does seem to lessen if I move backwards from the monitor but not completely, so can it be like half viewing angle half uniformity? because if I move my head to be on line with the edge of the screen the text/images do appear brighter. It appears a bit worse in the picture than it is in real life. The IPS glow/bl. bleed is kinda on point with the picture but it doesn’t bother me in day to day usage.

I assume it’s BGR because I had to run cleartype to get text to render clearly and my second monitor will randomly show text blurry-ish even in the same app, ie. Slack. I’ve attached some pictures, let me know if you spot anything or if you need another test. Sorry for the crappy gray picture, my phone refused to focus properly.

Black screen:
                                          black screen

Gray uniformity:
                                          gray

BGR?
                                          bgr

PCM2

It could be a bit of a bit of both, yes. I’m glad you aren’t bothered by the dark uniformity on your unit as well. 🙂

And that does indeed show BGR – thanks for confirming that. I suspected the LG Power rep was incorrect about the RGB arrangement when you enquired, but they probably had a spec sheet which simply said ‘RGB stripe’ (as the panel spec sheets seem to incorrectly mention for those Sharp panels).

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 301 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.