24” 1080p 144hz IPS monitors are finally here!

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    PCM2

I’ve looked through the manual and couldn’t see anything resembling an on-screen counter. But if you go to ‘Information’ in the ‘Setup’ section of the OSD it might display the current refresh rate. On the XG240R that corresponded to the frame rate within the VRR window.

Jack

Thanks. One thing im struggling with is the reflection/glare caused by my ceiling light.. A problem i didn’t had at all with my TN. I like to have my room very bright..

PCM2

The IPS-type panels do indeed have a lower haze finish than the comparable TN models, so don’t diffuse ambient light as strongly. On the plus side, they don’t diffuse light from the monitor so strongly either. You could perhaps try tilting the screen towards you slightly, if the glare is towards the top of the monitor it might just reduce or remove the trouble spot.

Orof

Hey!

just got 2 Acer XV253QP 144hz 1080P 24.5 IPS monitors for my RX 580 card, and I immediately started checking them. i bought it from amazon UK. https://imgur.com/a/qLeujXt

No BLB, IPS glow is bigger than my 2007FP but is manageable, no Back light bleed (blb), uniformity is great. This panel is a native 8 bit that can go up to 10 bit with FRC. (AUO panel). it does not come with a DP cable so i bought one on my own for 8$ (1.2, this monitor supports 1.4 according to the OSD)

I wanted to check the overdrive and overshoot. on 144hz overdrive normal + freesync everything is great. BUT, when going to 60hz with overdrive on normal and freesync there is massive overshoot (see pictures of before and after). what i did to resolve this (because the overdrive is greyed out when freesync is enabled) is to disable adaptive sync in the OSD, change overdrive to OFF and then turn the Adaptive sync back on. this makes the Acer work with freesync but with the Overdrive off. the screen is fast enough to have minimal ghosting with overdrive off and 144hz.

So now you know how to fix the overshoot at lower 60hz. this panel is fast enough that it does not need overshoot. i would highly recommend getting this monitor as the overshoot problem can be easily fixed. it is still faster to my eye compared to the AOC 24G2/U when the Acer monitor’s overshoot is off.

PCM2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the XV253QP, Orof. Sounds like you’re enjoying it. It’s interesting to see that, although the ‘Over Drive’ setting is greyed out with Adaptive-Sync enabled, it still takes account of the setting used before enabling Adaptive-Sync. And I agree that ‘Off’ looks very good in your pursuit photographs – thanks for providing that. I’ve included the pursuit shot at 144Hz, Adaptive-Sync on and overdrive off just so people can see it quickly in this thread, if that’s alright?

XN253Q P pursuit

Users can compare to the AOC pursuit photographs at 144Hz with the ‘Strong’ setting. The Acer does appear to have tighter pixel responses, certainly for the medium background in the test and the UFO body for the light background. But pretty similar if slightly reduced weaknesses for the dark background. It’s always important to consider a broader spread of pixel transitions, but the results above are promising and suggest excellent tuning on the Acer and pleasing pixel responsiveness for 144Hz action. Just a final note – DisplayPort cables don’t have version numbers, only the ports do. So there’s no such thing as a “DP 1.2 cable” – it will work all the same with DP 1.4. This is to allow VESA DisplayHDR 400 to be used correctly – not sure if you’ve tested that feature out at all yet? Obviously it’s only a very basic HDR feature, but might still be interesting to try out.

Jack

There is a risk of ruining the anti-glare finish thingy if i clean my monitor with products? If so, what’s the best way of cleaning the monitor? Thanks.

PCM2

If the solution is a screen or lense cleaning solution then it will be fine. Go by reviews on Amazon and see what people say about the product. If you’re worried, just use a bit of water instead- unless you’re in a hard water area, then consider distilled water instead. You can make your own solution up as well, but all of this verges on technical help which is not the purpose of this forum. So that’s the last I’ll say on this matter.

wizzie

Basically VP249QGR vs 24G2U vs XG2405 vs VG249Q.
                    I’m just looking for the fastest one (lowest response time and ghosting), I don’t do any color critical work, I just want to game on it.
                    In another post i saw that the 24G2U is faster than the XG2405, but how does it compare to the VP249QGR? I really want to avoid the black-red “gamer” look.

PCM2

Wizzie,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as it discusses various options. There are a number of other threads drawing more specific comparisons, for example this one which compares the XG2405 and 24G2(U). And this one which compares the 24G2(U) and VG249Q. The AOC stands out for me due to the colour gamut and the pixel responsiveness, but if the aesthetics put you off the ViewSonic is a pretty solid alternative and the ASUS may be worth considering. I don’t have any experience with or user feedback to share on the VP249QGR. So it depends what you’re after really and that seems to be responsiveness, where the AOC has a bit of an edge. As I point out in the review the red highlights on the AOC are more subtle in practice than they appear in photos and videos of the monitor.

wizzie

Hmmm so the AOC is the best and also the cheapest one where I live. I’ll just get that, I won’t buy a worse monitor just for aesthetics. Thanks a lot for the info!

DerpySlime

This is very informative, I think the AOC 24G2U is the monitor for me. I came across the Asus VG259Q which use an AU Optronics panel, and not a PANDA panel like the AOC 24G2U. I was just wondering how well the the Asus VG259Q performed in the refresh rate and color reproduction.

Thank you for all the great information and all the great reviews, keep it up.

PCM2

DerpySlime – I’ve moved your reply to one where both models are discussed. Have a read through this and you should get a decent flavour of how the two compare.

Jasonwsc

Hi all,

I have been lurking around this thread for quite a bit, and have decided to get myself the Acer VG252Q P. In my country, the Acer was on sale and actually slightly cheaper than the AOC 24G2, while the Asus VP249QGR is the cheapest but pretty much never in stock. So I went for the Acer since it is supposed to have the AUO panel with the best pixel response time, a slightly larger screen and official Nvidia G-Sync compatible certification. Just received the monitor today and I am actually quite happy with it, certainly much better than the 144hz VA panel I had before. BTW the VA monitor was called the PRISM+ X240, probably a rebranded Korean monitor that closely resembles the Viotek GN24C for the folks who live in the US.

First the good stuff.

The pixel response time on the AUO panel is excellent. Turning Adaptive sync on and Overdrive off in the Acer Display Widget (more on this later) completely removes all overshoot at 60Hz, and ghosting is almost imperceptible at 144Hz. Basically one Overdrive mode for the entire adaptive sync range.

I really like how consistently good the pixel response times are, all colour transitions are similar unlike my previous VA panel. The monitor not flickering due to rapid changes in framerate is also a godsend for my poor eyes.

Text clarity is excellent, though the anti-glare is very slightly too heavy for my taste. To be fair my previous monitor was a VA with lighter anti-glare, and I believe this is the standard for all IPS displays.

I really like the Acer Display widget. Being able to change settings easily in the OS is a feature all new monitors should have.

Stuff I have no idea about

Backlight bleed. Well I pretty much never use my monitor in the dark and I don’t really watch movies on it either. The corners are very slightly darker but quite frankly I don’t really care about this aspect of the monitor.

Also can’t really tell the difference in contrast ratio between IPS and VA either. Sorry about that :/

Now for the not so good stuff

Colours out of the box is noticeably off, my panel had a very noticeable red tint even when set to standard color mode, though installing the icc color profile from the Acer drivers in Windows made it slightly better. Even the sRGB profile is slightly red. Definitely calibrate the display if you can, or at the very least mess around with the OSD to make it somewhat normal.

HDR is absolutely useless and should be avoided at all costs.

As stated earlier, the OSD and power buttons on the back are hard to reach, especially if you have a speaker beside the monitor.

The Acer OSD is also slightly finnicky and takes quite a bit of getting used to. For example, the Acer Display widget on Windows allows for the change of Overdrive mode (off, normal, extreme) while adaptive sync is enabled, but the buttons on the monitor do not and you basically have to resort to the method Orof stated earlier to get the same settings to stick.

Black boost is set on a scale of 0 to 10. Now I assume some users who want the best picture quality will set it to 0 thinking that this removes all “enhancements”, only to be met by shockingly bad black crush. As it turns out, the good folks at Acer have decided that 5 means turning all enhancements off, with 6-10 being the actual increased Gamma mode and 0-4 to being some incredibly dark and unusable setting.

Lastly the stand is very deep, the monitor is also quite thick and takes up quite a bit of desk space but I guess I’m just nitpicking at this point. Nothing a good VESA stand can’t fix.

TLDR: A very good monitor with excellent pixel response time and GSYNC compatibility. Good text clarity with normal matte coating. Needs to be colour calibrated and forget the HDR feature exists. Acer OSD could do with a little more work. And get a nice VESA stand.

Absolutely recommended for gamers who have a bit of time to spare to learn the unique quirks and features of this monitor. The results are worth it.

PCM2

HI Jasonwsc,

What an excellent and informative first post. Thank you for contributing to this thread which you’ve been following for a while. This provides an excellent reference for not just the Acer VG252Q P, but also the 24.5″ AUO panel in general. The screen surface is a common complaint, although you’re correct that it’s something you’d notice more coming from something with a relatively smooth matte screen surface (~24″ 144Hz VA model). It’s common to have that kind of somewhat grainy matte screen surface on many 144Hz Full HD models (VA and Panda panels excluded). And many 240Hz models as well. Sensitivity to that kind of thing varies and most users will find it tolerable.

I’m pleased that you were happy with the key fundamentals of the monitor, such as the responsiveness and how its VRR technology (‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ in this case) was implemented. It seems it takes some tweaking, but at least the flexibility is there to make those necessary corrections. Of course the stand depth can’t be fixed in the OSD, but as you point out alternative mounting is possible if it’s really an issue. I’ve yet to use Acer’s DisplayWidget software myself but will certainly be looking at it when I next review an Acer model – I’ve been making sure to test OSD control software as well as the regular OSD and people seem to appreciate that. Hopefully you continue to enjoy the monitor. 🙂

PCM2

We’ve now reviewed the Acer XB253Q GP which uses the 24.5″ AUO panel. Comparisons are drawn with the AOC 24G2(U) throughout the review.

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.