24” 1080p 144hz IPS monitors are finally here!

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 115 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Jack

Hi i had the XB241H for 2 years, until i recently broke it by accident. So now i’m torn by the decision between buying again the XB241H or this 24G2U. I would like to have an IPS.. my main concern its the lack of gsync. For preference i will still go for nvidia cards no matter what. The 24G2U in g-sync compatible mode has the VRR range of 60-144hz, in the review you talk about stuttering when going under 60fps.. Sometimes i like to push games even if they dip under 60 often. How bad would it be? I’m very sensitive to stuttering. I never had an ips before either. LEt me know, thanks.

PCM2

The 24G2U supports LFC or frame to refresh multiplication below 60fps, so there are no stuttering issues related to mismatches below that. The issue was if you are frequently hovering around 60fps, going above and below the boundary. The handling of the lower boundary and when things cross it, alongside variable overdrive, are two key advantages of models with an actual G-SYNC module. It really depends just how frequently you cross the boundary and how much the slight disconnect in the experience would bother you. In my view, on a 144Hz monitor getting below 60fps is a rubbish place to be regardless of tearing and stuttering. The ‘connected feel’ and perceived blur levels are much worse. Of course ‘stuttering’ would add insult to injury, but for me that’s just one factor which would sour the experience and if it’s an occasional one I wouldn’t really mind.

Jack

Thanks, why does the VRR range changes from 48 to 60fps when in g-sync mode? If it was 48 then it wouldn’t be a problem for me. Do you think that it can be changed by using something like CRU?

PCM2

I’m not sure why the floor of operation is different, there are a few models I’ve seen this on with ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ vs. FreeSync. CRU might work, but I can’t confirm that from my own testing. It isn’t something monitor manfuacturers like me to openly discuss or test (even though it might help in this case as the monitor should be capable of a lower floor of operation than 60Hz).

Jack

Thanks. I’ve also seen the Asus VG259Q, which has the 48 lower range. Which one would you say it’s better?

PCM2

I’d advise reading earlier posts on this thread as that’s covered. Here and the proceeding page, for example. If you’ve seen it confirmed that it runs with a 48Hz floor of operation using ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ (and not just ‘FreeSync’, where the AOC has a 48Hz floor as well) and are happy with less vibrant colour output, slightly worse pixel response tuning and a slightly granier screen surface then it might give you a better experience.

Darryl282

Sorry to disturb you on a Saturday. I would like to know which monitor has the lightest possible anti-glare coating. 144hz if possible. I saw the Dell s2418h, but it’s only 75hz. Any reply would be appreciated. Pity the Samsung S27A950 isn’t around anymore. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/128445/getting-3dvision-to-work-on-samsung-s27a950/

PCM2

I used to own a Samsung S27A750D and used that as my main monitor for quite a while. I liked the ‘Ultra Clear Panel’ surface used on that and also wrote a little about it for our matte vs. glossy article. Although the T27A950 was used as the example there (same surface). There is nothing comparable on the market at the moment. The upcoming Philips 328M1R will offer a good (effectively glossy) screen surface. Outside of that the WQHD IPS-type models and Dell S-series (S2719DGF etc.) offer the lightest matte surfaces. In keeping with this thread, the ~24″ Full HD 144Hz IPS-type models aren’t comparable and are more of a medium matte. Although the finish of the models with the 23.8″ Panda panels is smoother than competing TN models at least.

Orof

Just bought 2 new Acer Nitro XV253QP monitors to replace our old 2007FP’s. from people over the web who bought this monitor i was told that:
                      1. It does not have a blurry text (compared to the Asus VG259Q model)
                      2. The “normal” setting overdrive should be fine for this monitor when it is greyed out with adaptive sync (extreme produces overshoot and should not be used)
                      3. It uses AUO native Backlight (Unlike Asus VG259Q AUO CELL panel which uses custom backlight)
                      3. XV253QP Native Refresh rate is faster that the Panda 24G2U panel (5ms M250HAN01.6 compared to 7.5ms LC238LF1F)
                      4. XV253QP is supposedly a true 8bit panel, while 24G2U is 6bit + FRC
                      5. XV253QP Allows brightness change in SRGB mode (while the 24G2U does not)

i should be getting them in 2 weeks. will share my thoughts and pictures (as well as ghosting and overshoot tests in different refresh rates)

PCM2

I look forward to your thoughts on the XV253QPs when they arrive, Orof. But I need to clarify a few things, to set realistic expectations for yourself and those reading this. The ‘Normal’ overdrive setting seems to provide quite strong overshoot as well. At least it did on the test sample I saw, for the transitions used on TestUFO. I actually found this more noticeable to my eye than it appears in the pursuit photo I took. And even then it’s pretty clear. Sensitivity varies and it won’t bother everyone.

The panel response time specification can be pretty misleading, because in practice some transitions will be faster and some slower compared to the Panda panel. But a lot also depends on how things are tuned, as above. The the AOC offers good flexibility (and tuning) with its pixel overdrive. Just looking at the transitions in ‘TestUFO’ the AOC does give more powdery trailing but the Acer replaces this with overshoot. Some will prefer one, some the other. The same applies to the colour gamut, with the 24G2(U) being more saturated and vibrant and the Acer more of a ‘rich and natural’ appearance.

And the 6-bit + FRC vs. ‘true 8-bit’ thing is really a non-issue in practice. If you told users the AOC was true 8-bit they’d believe you. Likewise if you told them the Acer was 6-bit + FRC as well they wouldn’t bat an eyelid. The Panda panel also has a smoother (less grainy) matte screen surface. I’m not trying to put a damper on things, just clarifying a few points based on my own experiences. You may well love the experience that the Acer provides. I’m just trying to point out that it isn’t a one way street and some of its advantages ‘on paper’ don’t necessarily translate in practice.

Orof

Thank you sharing your experience with both the AOC 24G2U and the Acer XV253QP.

Of course, i made my purchase gathering as much information as i could (other than paper specs of course. information from other users who purchased the monitors).
                          I have quite a sharp eye for any overshoot/ghosting/blurry text, and my brother is especially sensitive to color accuracy, so I believe that both of us together should provide more reliable information that the forum members here will be able to read (ill also be able to do the pursuit test in a more controlled environment). worst case scenario i’ll just return them.

regarding that last point – have you noticed those overshoot problems at 144hz? :O none of the other user that i talked to reported it (they did only when overdrive was set to extreme). have you got the chance to test the XV253QP overshoot in sub 144hz refresh rates?
                          Please see the attached motion blur videos that were done by a different user a couple of weeks ago:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aV4dWtFYBI&feature=youtu.be
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3bL-o1LofE&feature=youtu.be

PCM2

Your impressions (and those of your brother) will be very welcome indeed. And much more useful than my own impressions really, because they were based on an early pre-production sample at IFA back in September 2019. It was at 144Hz where the overshoot was observed, but it’s definitely possible that Acer has re-tuned things. I gave them a little feedback about it and they did mention that the monitor was still needing some “optimisations” before it went on sale. If you’re able to confirm this with TestUFO and other testing that would be great. 🙂

And thanks for posting those videos from another user. I hadn’t seen them before. They appear to show much lower overshoot than the unit I saw on TestUFO and from the video at least things appear nicely optimised for 144Hz performance. There’s still some overshoot for the medium (middle row) and light (bottom row) backgrounds but from the video at least it appears pretty light.

Jack

About the 24G2U wide gamut, how do you like looking at srgb content on it? Not only games but movies as well (especially). Do you personally still prefer the wide gamut over the srgb? Thanks.

PCM2

That’s a very subjective thing and it’s explored in quite some detail in the review. There’s really no difference for me between how I like games or movie content to look. I’m exposed to a wide variety of monitors with various capabilities and can adapt either way. You need to weigh up your own preferences for saturation levels and vibrancy vs. a more ‘natural’ appearance. I’d make the argument that neither solution is perfect, personally I find sRGB too restrictive and like a bit of extension beyond it. There are far too many shades in the real world that aren’t captured by such a small colour space. I can tolerate extra saturation and generally prefer that myself, but my preference would actually be for a wide gamut that’s mapped properly – as you get on some monitors under HDR, which is out of the question in this case.

Jack

I ordered the Asus TUF VG249Q and i will get it sooner than the 24G2U order, there is something you would like me to test out?

PCM2

I hope you enjoy it! Just subjective impressions would be a great addition to this thread. If you’re able to, pursuit photographs using TestUFO and your favourite response time setting on the ASUS would be great. You can do this by taking a video on a decent smartphone camera, if you have one, or a normal camera with decent resolution video recording. You simply track the UFOs as best you can from left to right, trying your best to match the movement speed with the camera or phone movement. You can do several passes and hopefully you’ll be able to get some good frames showing the perceived blur. I discussed a few things to look out for with another user when doing this sort of testing here.

LexGM

Hi!

I just wanted to ask what is better: Buy right now the AOC 24G2U or wait some time to see if there are better monitors 1080p 144 this years? I find the AOC exactly what I want but maybe in a couple of weeks or months it comes a new one that outperfoms the AOC.

Thanks.

PCM2

What did you have in mind that you feel could be better? The AOC is an excellent all-round performer for the price. If it’s “exactly what you want”, what is the point in waiting and what would you be waiting for? An upcoming model I’m particularly interested in is the Acer XV253Q X, but that’s 240Hz. There’s really nothing in the 144Hz IPS-type flavour that I feel would be worth waiting for, or that would be substantially different to the alternatives already available with a narrower colour gamut than the AOC. For many, the wider gamut of the 24G2(U) is actually a desirable and unique selling point, but it’s not for everyone.

LexGM

Yea, you are right, I think I will be getting the 24G2u, it is just that overthink a lot before buying anything xD

Jack

So today i got the Asus TUF VG249Q and the ViewSonic XG2405. I think they both have the 60-144hz VRR range. I’ve tested CSGO with 2 bindkeys to drop the frames to 50 and then to get it up to 144.. I didin’t notice any stutter or tearing going out/in range rapidly. I used a GTX1080

On the ViewSonic XG2405 OSD there is a way to show the current refresh rate? I didn’t find it in the OSD and google doesn’t help.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 115 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.