Viewsonic XG2405 vs AOC 24G2U

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    PCM2

Thanks for that. It’s difficult to tell as it looks like a relatively low-resolution video, but it looks to me like the object clarity is good but there’s what appears to be strobe crosstalk being shown. You didn’t have the ‘1ms Mode’ enabled on the ViewSonic by any chance, did you?

Normlbert

Yeah sorry the video is 1080p only, I had to zoom quite a bit and the fact that I’m doing all of this from my phone probably doesn’t help either. But I think the image host might’ve compressed it further.

I’ve found a hoster that allows to download the full resolution image, so here it is again. I’ve also added a second frame from another video:

https://ibb.co/RgQWRvn
        https://ibb.co/nbRD4Ss

I didn’t have 1ms mode enabled, it is unusable unfortunately. It drops the brightness way down and the image gets grey-ish. I did have overdrive on the max setting though

PCM2

Alright, in that case I’d simply ask how the snapshots compare to what you actually see with your eyes. Do you see a bold repetition of the object as you do in the snapshots? Perhaps you see the trailing in a similarly ‘bold’ way but it appears as a smooth ‘blur’ rather than such a distinct repetition of the object? The pursuit sync track suggests the camera simply isn’t capturing things properly, I think I was just lucky at IFA as I was using a Galaxy Note 9 which seems to capture things very nicely during pursuit videography. If you see such bold trailing (but perhaps smoothed out) then it suggests the XG2405 is significantly worse than the AOC 24G2U in terms of its pixel overdrive tuning at their respective strongest overdrive settings.

Naix

Hello,
            Yes, the VS is useless on maximum OD!(strong ghosting)

However, a normal OD is perfect and in no way inferior to the AOC.
            But this is all subjective, unfortunately I cannot provide pictures.

Both are top, concerning the sharpness of movement, only that the AOC of the lag is a little bit better.

Normlbert

Sorry, I forgot about this thread again. I don’t see that repetition at all with my eyes. I also don’t seem to see a difference between the lowest overdrive setting and the highest (I’ve taken the frames at highest overdrive of course)

imid

Hello,

I bought a ViewSonic XG2405 recently.. it should be home in a week or two.

After this post i would like to ask a silly question..
                Is this monitor worth it?
                It is for gaming and watching video.
                My actual monitor is a iiyama 24″ prolite B2483HS (1080″ 60 hz) and the blur i got when things are moving on the screen made me buy the ViewSonic hopping for a better result.
                If PCM2 could tell me what he think about the ViewSonic XG2405. You seem to know the subject well.

Thank you anyway for the forum. It is very informative.

Perhaps i should make a new post.

PCM2

Hi imid,

I don’t really have much more to add on the ViewSonic XG2405 that hasn’t been shared on this thread already. I would suggest you use the monitor yourself and formulate your own opinion after that – and it would be wonderful if you could share that opinion here. 🙂 I feel you’ll really enjoy the upgrade from the B2483HS and you’ll notice that in many areas including colour reproduction and responsiveness. It’s a good monitor in my view, although too restricted in the markets it’s available in for me to review or fully endorse. Most users who have shared feedback with me on that model have really enjoyed using it, overall, and I think you will as well.

iamdlm

What are some alternatives to this kind of monitors? 24”/25” 144Hz IPS FHD. Is the Asus VG259Q a viable alternative?
                    I was considering the ViewSonic XG240R but the view angles put me off because I will be spending half of my day programming and the other half playing CS:GO competitively. Or the view angles are not that bad?

PCM2

Some alternatives to XG2405 and 24G2(U) are covered in this thread. And yes, the VG259Q is amongst those. With respect to the XG240R; the colour reproduction, colour consistency and other aspects of image performance are clearly described and explained in the review. Image quality really isn’t a key strength of that model, even if it offers a bit of an edge compared to some others sharing the same panel.

iamdlm

Hey PCM2,

Thank you for the referenced thread, very interesting read. In fact the Acer XV253Q was a new one for me, unfortunately it’s not available in my country (Portugal). I’m inclined to go with the Asus because I did not read anything bad yet that throw me off like the other two. The most common negative topic is the price but that’s non issue for me and the blurry text is fixed by playing around with Vivid Pixel. On the other hand I’ve been reading a considerable number of AOC 24G2U owners complaining about unit problems like dead pixels, color uniformity, etc. plus the very short supply which I imagine is affecting the warranty response time. And some XG2405 owners are disappointed with the responsiveness as mentioned in this thread, but I didn’t find any comments on that regarded related to the Asus (good or bad). But I would like you to comment on my thoughts and mention some good or bad points to consider, that I could be missing.

PCM2

Have a read through the thread I linked to, a key weakness clearly identified for the 24.5″ models is screen surface, plus the static contrast is lower. That could be a deal-breaker for some, a complete non-issue for others. So if it doesn’t bother you and you like the sound of the monitor, go for it I’d say – the 24.5″ panel and monitors which use them are pretty capable monitors really and by most accounts they’re enjoyed by users. I’d say the same for the AOC, though, and it’s a fair bit cheaper when and where available.

I haven’t seen anything to suggest the AOC (or Panda panel used) is worse than average in terms of ‘dead pixels’, they can and do occur with any monitor. It does seem uniformity issues are common for brighter shades, we highlighted some on our test sample as well. The 24.5″ panels are just as likely to have dark uniformity issues, though, and they certainly are being reported by users. You also have to be careful with feedback volume – the fact the AOC is cheaper and there’s more feedback about it attracts further feedback. And people are more likely to post negative than positive thoughts. I receive a lot of direct feedback myself and also assess return rates and overall users are happy with the 24G2(U).

Old Faithful

Great thread! So hard to find info on the XG2405 and is the only 24’ IPS 144hz Monitor available in my county (New Zealand) at this stage. I was certainly interested in the AOC but is unavailable currently.
                            I currently have a HP Omen Laptop that has a 15.5’ 120hz 1080 display and have been happy with the performance of the screen but it’s just too small for gaming especially FPS shooters imo.
                            Essentially what I’m after is something that has similar colour reproduction and performance to my laptop screen (response times etc).

Without having reviewed the XG2405 do you still think that I would get something that’s on par with my laptop screen in terms of the colour reproduction and performance?

Also worth noting that I have an Nvidia graphics card but can’t seem to find if the XG2405’s Freesync would be compatible with my Nvidia card?

Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

PCM2

It’s very difficult to say. I have a fair idea of how the XG2405 performs, and it’s much as described on this thread – similar to the AOC, with a less generous colour gamut that promotes ‘rich and natural’ colours that are more subdued. I very much doubt you’ll have an issue with responsiveness. But laptop screens aren’t my area, I have no exprience with that one and don’t know the exact screen used. If it is glossy and has a wide colour gamut then the colour representation is going to be quite different on the ViewSonic. I’d advise taking the screens on their own merits and trying not to cross-compare too much.

As for ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’, it generally works just fine. And users have reported to me that’s the case with the XG2405. There are sometimes little quirks compared to AMD FreeSync, especially at lower frame rates (such as a lower floor of operation, sometimes some flickering near that) but it seems to do its thing on the ViewSonic much as you’d expect and should offer a largely similar experience to FreeSync.

iamdlm

Well… I did end up buying the VG259Q but I’m returning it. Got a dead pixel (that I could live with) but the coating some users mentioned is something I did not get used too, it makes me want to rub my eyes every minute with such blurriness. Now I’m torn between the XG2405 and the XG240R. Considering the XG2405 has the same panel as the 24G2(U) is it possible they could differentiate that much in terms of responsiveness (more then 1ms)? In you reviews the input leg is less then 1ms between the 24G2(U) (3.79ms) and the XG240R (2.86ms).

PCM2

It’s annoying being sensitive to grainy or ‘thick’ matte screen surfaces, it can certainly ruin the experience of using a particular screen. Exactly why we cover them in such detail in our reviews and why I drew attention to it when comparing the 23.8″ vs. 24.5″ 144Hz IPS-type panels. With that said, if you’re sensitive to such things the XG2405 would be a better choice than the XG240R. You can expect an improvement over the 24.5″ AUO panel you’ve used in that respect, but it won’t be perfect. Of course, nothing is perfect when it comes to monitors – it just has to be “good enough” and hopefully it is.

With respect to pixel responsiveness, the pixel overdrive isn’t defined by the panel used and that can vary between the 24G2(U) and XG2405. According to user feedback presented in this thread and elsewhere, from users who have tried both models, I don’t think there’s any real difference in responsiveness that you need to worry about. They both perform well using their optimal settings. Input lag seems to be slightly higher on the ViewSonic, but it’s not extreme and isn’t something I’d worry about unless you know you’re particularly sensitive to it.

PsychicCashew

Sorry for reviving this thread. This is my first post, I just thought I could add something for people that are undecided about which monitor to buy.
                                    Two months ago, I was looking for a new monitor. Because the AOC 24G2U was sold out everywhere, I went for the ViewSonic XG2405. Although I was really happy with it, there was still this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I could have done better with my money.

A week ago, I saw that the AOC went on sale on a website here in Germany, so I decided to buy it, just to have some peace of mind and return it if I wasn’t happy.

Well, I can now say with confidence that the ViewSonic is the superior monitor, in my opinion. This is of course a matter of taste.
                                    I’m just going to list a few aspects of both monitors here, and how they compete.

Design:
                                    This is a matter of taste, again. But I think the ViewSonic wins this category with ease. The stand is objectively more secure than the AOC’s and you get added features like a headphone holder in the back, which I really like. It also looks a lot more professional, with no “gamery” vibe to it. Again, this is purely subjective.
                                    The ViewSonic’s buttons also seem less flimsy than the AOC’s.

Responsiveness:
                                    The AOC wins here. It has definitely a slightly lower response time than the ViewSonic. The overdrive mode is also slightly better than the ViewSonic’s, with my testing being purely subjective, in a few fast paced games like Overwatch. People that want that slight edge might want to go with the AOC, but the difference is very minor, and if you care about response time to that degree, you should probably go with a TN panel in the first place. Ghosting and tearing seem to be on a very similar level. There is some ghosting on both monitors, but nothing crazy for an IPS panel.

Colours:
                                    This is the most subjective of all categories. The ViewSonic wins here for me. In my opinion, the AOC looks way too oversaturated. This wouldn’t be as bad if the sRGB mode wouldn’t lock the brightness of the screen to 90. The ViewSonic has more muted, “real life” colours, which I prefer on a side by side comparison. I might be in the minority here, because I know quite a few people that would like the AOC’s “popping” colourscheme. If you plan on doing ANY form of colour based work, go with the ViewSonic.

To conclude this post, I think both monitors are great deals for the price. It really comes down to the colours for me. If you want the lifelike colours and a more professional design, go for the ViewSonic, if you want a bit more saturated look and a slightly lower responsetime, go for the AOC.

I hope I could help anyone with this post. If you have any questions, let me know.

edit: slightly lower response time, not higher

PCM2

No need to apologise for reviving the thread, this is exactly the kind of feedback that’s very welcome here! Your subjective testing regarding the responsiveness of the AOC being a bit better seems backed up by others. They’ve done very well with tuning the panel in that respect. I agree that a more flexible sRGB emulation setting would be welcome on the AOC, so users who dislike the oversaturated appearance can benefit from that. What I would say is that anybody interested in colour-critical work should consider a colorimeter to get the most out of either model, and should be using colour-aware applications which will allow the gamut to be appropriately mapped for sRGB work. Without such a device, the ViewSonic is certainly the better choice for such tasks. 🙂

Maesthro

Hello,
                                        sry to revive, but is the 1 ms response time of the xg2405 tied to the “1ms mode”, which is not compatible with freesync and locked brightness? or is this an additional mode? would render the 1ms time useless if i cant have that time with freesync, wouldn’t it? is this common practice or do TNs have 1ms without any special modes which are not working with freesync?

I’ve read about the natural colours of the xg2405, which is interesting for me (aoc looks oversaturated for me). but the “1ms only without freesync/gsync” frightens me.

PCM2

As mentioned in the news piece, the 1ms response time is specified as a grey to grey and not MPRT value. Which means it is not specifically tied to using the strobe backlight setting. As also noted in the news piece and explained in our article on the topic, though, you should pay no attention to this figure. It’s the sort of figure manufacturers know very well is completely misleading and unrepresentative of real-world performance, but they have to throw around for marketing purposes. As everyone’s doing it now and they don’t want to fall behind because competitors are making such bold claims but they aren’t.

In practice these models are more in the region of 4-8ms for most pixel transitions, which is quite respectable for a 144Hz IPS model really. There are some transitions that are a bit slower, causing the ‘powdery trailing’ described in our 24G2(U) review. As covered in this thread, the AOC has a bit of an edge over the ViewSonic in terms of pixel responsiveness and slightly lower input lag. But I most certainly wouldn’t consider the ViewSonic ‘disappointing’ in terms of responsiveness and if you really prefer the sound of its colour output then don’t be put off. Give it a try.

DaLog

Hello, i’m searching for a monitor for fps shooters mainly COD:MW and CS:GO. I’m looking for a monitor that has no visible ghosting while playing games or using it for daily use. Right now i’m using a ViewSonic vx2458-c-mhd which has terible ghosting in dark areas. I noticed the ghosting when i was moving the cursor in discord and also i did the ufo test and i saw it on the dark green background. Right now i’m looking at the AOC 24g2u or the ViewSonic xg2405. In my country both are about 240$. If you have any sugestions please feel free to write me. Thank you!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.