Is the Dell Alienware AW2724DM good value?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    PCM2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the monitor, it’s much appreciated! The lack of power brick is something I personally like as well and it’s quite common on Dell monitors. It’s something we mention in our news articles as well, by the way, for example on the AW2724DM it’s noted that it has an “AC power input (internal power converter)”. The opposite of this is for a monitor to have a “DC power input (external ‘power brick’).” I’m sure you’ll adapt to the higher resolution in time and it is indeed much easier to notice the benefits of the improved pixel density when gaming rather than watching heavily compressed video content. Which is typically ‘1080p’ or ‘4K’ UHD source material anyway so not so well suited to ‘1440p’.

The brightening and darkening of the movie content you were observing with ‘Smart HDR’ is intended, if indeed it’s just sections of the screens brightening and dimming up rather than the entire screen at once. That’s what you observe with basic edge-lit local dimming and it’s why the HDR performance is relatively limited on such models. But based on the local dimming test you showed in your link, it doesn’t look like any local dimming is actually being used. For a monitor at the VESA DisplayHDR 600 level, it requires at least some level of local dimming. So I’m not sure what’s going on there. Is the browser actually running in HDR? You should see ‘HDR’ listed by the resolution when clicking the cog icon if it is. I also see you’ve labelled the folder ‘Alienware G2724D’, but I assume that should be AW2724DM?

P.S. I’m not sure why your posts are being marked as spam, but the plugin used for that seems to be a bit overzealous and maybe doesn’t like the site the images were hosted at. I’ve tried to add you to a whitelist so it hopefully doesn’t happen, but if it does it should be fine if you just post the link in a broken up way (without http etc. or slashes) so it’s just plain text, then I can reformat them so they’re links.

Vielo

I have recorded one more video making sure that the HDR setting is on in Youtube and used the “Smart HDR 600” setting of the monitor. HDR was also turned on in Windows 10. I’d say the result is the same – I cannot identify any dimming zones. It is added to my shared Google album, https://photos.app.goo.gl/97LJEHJhUH5uDjGB6. I have also adapted the name of the album since it was incorrect – as per your assumption 🙂

PCM2

I can’t see any local dimming behaviour there, even though you’ve set everything up as you should. I’ve checked through the manual and can’t see any specific setting you’d have to change to enable or disable local dimming. I assume the other HDR modes don’t activate local dimming either?

jbennett360

Did you manage to take any images of the monitor itself?

What’s the bottom bezel like. Does it sit flush to the screen or is there a gap at all?

jbennett360

Done a bit more digging and it looks like these use the LM270WQA-SSC2 panel.

The original rev (LM270WQA-SSC1) was used in the LG 27GP850. So I’m guessing the two monitors would be quite a like.

PCM2

So they interchangeably use that and a BOE IPS-ADS panel on the AW2724DM? A few things, assuming that panel is used… Hopefully the ‘SSC2’ offers superior contrast to the ‘SSC1’ as that was a key weakness. The addition of the ‘Low Blue Light Hardware Solution’ (shifted blue light peak) will also be key for some as the ‘SSC1’ was notorious for being a panel some found rather harsh and uncomfortable. But it’s odd that the panel isn’t listed as having any DisplayHDR 600 capability and seems to offer brightness that’s too limited for that. And LG doesn’t really do CELL versions of panels so manufacturers can fit custom backlights. So it doesn’t fit – what is the source for this? If it’s DisplaySpecifications and not substantiated elsewhere you can ignore it.

jbennett360

Yeah it was Displayspec. Originally they had the LG panel listed along with the BOE, but have dropped that and now only show the LG

Do we have any idea which panel from BOE they could be using?

PCM2

If I were to guess it would be the ME270QHB-NF0 CELL with custom backlight.

Vielo

I do have some pictures, here they are:
                      https://ibb.co/RGFGkmn
                      https://ibb.co/KbY9byS
                      https://ibb.co/zhkKck2
                      https://ibb.co/TTkh6DV
                      https://ibb.co/L5JVBk0
                      https://ibb.co/TmVbBQF
                      https://ibb.co/Vj2YR53

Regarding the dimming test, I might be able to try again today with another setting, maybe instead of HDR 600 I can check with the “Movie HDR” preset?

PCM2

Yeah, I think that would be worth checking. Thanks for the pictures, very Alienware! 😉

jbennett360

Yeah that looks quite nice.

PCM2

Some discussion on the G2724D and a few other models has been moved over to this thread.

PCM2

Not sure if you still have the AW2724DM Vielo and are following the thread still, but if so did you manage to find any settings that would make the HDR local dimming work as you’d expect?

PCM2

Some further thoughts on the AW2724DM and comparison with the G2724D has kindly been shared by a forum user vonvorter here. They have now confirmed local dimming was present (but not very good) on the AW2724DM.

Daniel

I just got it yesterday and I have to send it back.A bit of background, in the past I used all sorts of monitors, now I use a 42inch C2 OLED, previous to this a Asus PG278QR, TN, 445Hz, 1440p.
                                  The AW2724DM in terms of colors and pixel response, it’s amazing, also no backlight bleed, it seems so nice but the overall image looks fuzzy and not as sharp to my liking.
                                  I turned everything on high with 4x-8x aa, close to the character it looks ok, but in the distance, maybe due to the subpixel shape, it seem like a lower resolution, like using 800×600 on a modern monitor.I’m simply not satisfied with the overall definition of the picture.I’m sorry because it does everything else so fine.

Having bad text clarity in reviews maybe it speaks a lot more in terms of overall sharpness.

PCM2

Do you have a picture or can you confirm what the screen surface looked like when the screen was switched off. Was the reflectivity as shown on RTINGS review, with some sharper glare patches. So a bit like this) – or was it more heavily diffused like this model?

Assuming you had the LG Display panel like RTINGS, it’s possible the chevron subpixels and the slight fringing could cause issues. It contributed to some fringing on the M27Q we reviewed for example, beyond what would be expected from the BGR subpixel layout. But there could be more going on on the Alienware, perhaps you didn’t get on with the sharpness algorithm.

Daniel

I can only confirm that the subpixels are chevron type, the surface looked on the glossy side but still matte, so a LG panel in the unit I received.

I’m sorry that I haven’t ordered the G2724D because of it’s subpixels similar to TN subpixels and maybe a more sharper picture.
                                      On the AW2724DM I played some Battlefield 3, GTA5, CS2, both maxed out, especially antialiasing and 165hz, I noticed no flickering, no ghosting, in this chapter, the panel is amazing, but the fuzzyness is something I can’t deal with.Some textures or text in games looks like forcing a lower resolution.

Note that for the last 2 years I’m using a LG OLED as main monitor.
                                      As a side note, the 42C2 simply does everything better, more definition (4k lol), I noticed less details on the Alienware in darker areas, compared to the OLED, in CS2 or Battlefield, I can’t notice players standing in dark rooms/areas and next I switched to the OLED, same map/area, now can definetly pick up fine details in darker areas, so a clear advantage.

I will stick to my trusty OLED for now and I will only change it if LG releases a 32inch 4k unit.
                                      And damn I miss CRT tech 🙂 .

Daniel

I tested again today before shipping it back and no change in sharpness.It’s too bad because it does everything else so fine.Probably it’s ok for most users, even less noticeable if you jump from 1080p to 1440p.

I posted some photos of the subpixels, surface and motion.

Subpixels

Coating

https://imageupload.io/Np5N2MH04ybOJFi

PCM2

Thanks for sharing all your findings Daniel, I’m sorry the AW2724DM didn’t work out for you because of that niggling issue. I can understand how frustrating it must be to have liked everything about it, except for that deal breaking issue.

Daniel

I just got the LG 27GP850B and instantly I can notice some weird lines when looking left-right, like watching through a filter that you use at your windows for insects.
                                            Is it broken or something I’m sensitive to?

Now regarding the sharpness, stationary looks sharper than AW2724DM but in movement, meh, not really a difference.
                                            No weird lines on the Alienware, I would have seen them!

Maybe the chevron subpixel on the Alienware don’t create screen door artefacts.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.