Philips P-line 328P6VUBREB, 31.5" or something else?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    sunnymo

thanks for the detailed reply, 328p6vubreb seems to have a relatively high input lag, it’s around 28ms not good for competitive games, and much higher than 436m6. there is a new model 326m6vjrmb to be released which is also HDR600, but u said u can confirm that uses the same panel with the same backlight design. i think they are different cause the official website of Philips declares that 326m6vjrmb has low input lag feature just like 436m6, so i’m much more expect this model for console gaming.

PCM2

The 326M6VJRMB uses the same CELL (panel without backlight), it may use the exact same backlight design but I’m not sure. It isn’t necessarily just the backlight design itself that’s limiting but also how it is controlled. And this could be different between the models – for one thing, Philips are very proactive about making changes based on reviewer feedback. And that was a key criticism in our review. I agree with you that input lag should be lower, I hope so.

I would like to review the newer Philips model at some point, but only after it’s broadly available (including at Amazon).

sunnymo

in technical aspect, i think the panel is the core to input lag, if 326m6 and 328p6 are the same type of panel, how could 326m6 achieve low input lag than 328p6. or Philips just don’t optimize input lag on 328p6 for other concern?

PCM2

That’s incorrect. It is the scaler and assistive electronics that determine input lag, not the panel. If a monitor has many inputs and a feature-rich OSD then input lag can be relatively high unless low latency electronics or a bypass (‘through mode’) is used. If it’s not geared towards gaming, those extra steps are unlikely to be taken.

sunnymo

alright, i might misunderstand panel, i thought the scaler and assistive electronics are in the panel., i’ll wait for 326m6, glad to see ur review after release.

ChrisMas

Unless of course they have implemented ALLM and other stuff from the HDMI 2.1 spec into the HDMI 2.0 connector (which I believe is a thing that has been happening). That would go a long way in reducing that input lag down to reasonable numbers. They certainly hint to that in the product description.

amf78

Hi,

I also had my eyes on 326M6VJRMB for some time and it’s finally available, but I’m a little disappointed to hear it has only 8 dimming zones (2 unconfirmed sources so far). It seems like an odd choice considering that it’s both newer and pricier than 328P6VUBREB and 436M6VBPAB, who have 16 and 32 dimming zones respectively.

Is there any 32″ 4K display with decent HDR and WCG available at this point under 1000 EUR? Or even under 2000 EUR?
                  The few that exist seem all to have at least one deal breaker, while 4K TVs have been around for some time. Frustrating…

PCM2

That’s categorically and demonstrably false. The 326M6VJRMB uses exactly the same panel as the 328P6VUBREB and uses 16 dimming zones, 8 clusters per side. I’d suggest waiting for our review for some useful and accurate information on the monitor rather than trusting some “sources” that have no idea what they’re talking about.

amf78

Thank you for clarifying that.
                      To be honest, the sources in question (i.e. the preview done recently by some folks) do seem to suggest they weren’t 100% sure themselves.
                      I would love to wait, though I might have to make a decision by mid Jun due to a number of factors 🙂
                      A number of monitors were anounced in Jan this year (Acer, Asus) but there’s still no sign of them even as we’re approaching the end of the second quarter.

PCM2

Our review will likely be published by mid-June (i.e. next week), so that’s not a problem. Plus, given the obvious similarities with the 328P6VUBREB that review will give you an excellent idea of what to expect in many areas of performance.

amf78

Looking forward then!

I cannot obviously ask you to divulge anything in advance, but as you said, given the fact that it’s newer and uses the same panel one would hope it’s at least as good as 328P6VUBREB in most respects 🙂

amf78

A question about 328P6VUBREB/ 326M6VJRMB, or more generally pertaining to any HDR capable monitor: how will these handle HDR10+ content, as HDR10 or SDR?
                            Is HDR10+ compatibility something that can be added later via software/firmware updates, or does it require completely different electronics, panel, etc?

PCM2

As far as I’m aware you wouldn’t find content that supports HDR10+ but not standard HDR10. So you’d simply run the content as HDR10 content. The capabilities that define HDR10+ are not available on any current or known near-term future monitor.

amf78

I see.
                                Glancing briefly at the differences between HDR10 and HDR10+ it seems that both require the same color depth, gamut and dynamic range (though the latter allows for higher peak brightness). So unlike Dolby Vision there’s nothing there the panel shouldn’t (in theory) be able to display.
                                The main difference seems to be (correct me if I’m wrong) in the static vs dynamic metadata, which allows brightness & color adjustment for every scene, even every frame. Reminds me a bit of the keyframing concept, i.e. one keyframe at the start of the video instead of a keyframe for every scene. But perhaps I’m oversimplifying things and the analogy is wrong.
                                That’s why I was asking whether it’s a matter of video encoding and software/firmware rather than completely different hardware.

PCM2

It isn’t really my area so I don’t know how simple or complex supporting HDR10+ would be. But frankly I’m not at all convinced that HDR10+ brings much practical benefit over standard but well-implemented HDR10. I’ve seen demos of it at tradeshows and they are completely artificial and misrepresent things. I’ve seen regular HDR10 content which shows all of the purported benefits that this showcased HDR10+ content exhibits. Aside from the super-high luminance levels.

You need to ask yourself why monitor manufacturers and indeed many content creators aren’t rushing to support it. And furthermore, why there is no specific mention of it in VESA’s DisplayHDR standards. There’s also a lot of work to be done even to offer a proper, rich HDR10 experience on monitors. By the time this is sorted out and the manufacturers are preparing to move onto the next thing, even HDR10+ will probably be obsolete and replaced by some new standard that manufacturers can latch onto. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see the monitor or PC market in general embracing HDR10+, but that’s not to see some future HDR standard(s) with more distinct benefits (such as Rec. 2020 gamut support) won’t be embraced.

amf78

Hi,
                                    Thank you for you review, as usual very informative.
                                    In the meantime the beast has arrived. Good performance overall but I’m a little disappointed to see dark glow or back light bleed or whatever the technical term is. I was under the impression IPS panels suffer from that, not VA ones.
                                    Here’s one example: https://ibb.co/wgR3v9Q
                                    Factory settings excepts smartcontrast=on. Operating in SDR mode.
                                    As you can see the room isn’t particularly dark. The camera does exaggerate the glow a bit as usual (in reality it’s slightly dimmer than this, and it’s grey rather than magenta).
                                    Is this normal or would you return it?

PCM2

As covered in the review, individual units vary when it comes to clouding and backlight bleed. You can certainly suffer from either issue on any LCD panel type. This model also has a little ‘VA glow’. If you take the photo from a sufficient distance back (>2m) and keep the camera as central as possible that will eliminate the glow and you’re just left with other uniformity issues. It is difficult to say with any accuracy given, by your own admission, the photo exaggerates the effect (is over-exposed), but you can compare yourself to our review sample. It also depends on the brightness you’re using. If you’re using ‘SmartContrast’ this will just vary itself at will – and if there is bright content in the scene any backlight bleed/glow will be exaggerated – obviously not in the image you’ve shown, but in practice.

You should use the monitor normally, which probably doesn’t involve staring at a dark screenfill, and if it bothers you know that some units will be better, some similar and some worse. So it’s up to you whether you want to spend your time returning it.

sunnymo

hi PCM2, one of a 328p6vubreb‘s customer encountered this problem, i don’t know what causes this, i uploaded the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVs8SjFp07w. the monitor is operating at HDR mode on PC, Tomb Raider. as u can see, the edges of Lora’s face displays white shadow when camera moves quickly. i guess it is because of the local dimming response doesn’t keep up with camera moving speed, but i’m not sure. can u test this issue on 328p6vubreb or 326m6vjrmb? thx for the help in advance.

PCM2

The issue is clearly too localised (affecting a very small area of the image) to be anything to do with local dimming on a model like this with 16 dimming zones. It looks very much like overshoot – try turning down the ‘SmartResponse’ setting and see if that alleviates the issue.

She’s called Lara BTW, not Lora. 🙂

sunnymo

haha, thx, but why SmartResponse will do something like this? and what is exactly overshoot?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.