Philips P-line 328P6VUBREB, 31.5" or something else?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Nexatronic

Hey there!

You are doing a great job on reviews and I enjoy reading.

In your review of the Philips P-line 328P6VUBREB, 31.5″ you wrote:

It certainly delivers an HDR experience that’s more compelling than the majority of so-called HDR models on the market. But if you’re after a lovely atmospheric deep look under HDR or are sensitive to input lag or grainy screen surfaces, this model may be less enjoyable to use.

I’m playing games (not competitively at all), making creative content and watching movies and I really like color rich and sharp picture that comes with HDR. Viewing angle isn’t an issue as much as I sit in front of my panel anyways, so I prefer VA Panels for the extra sharpness over it. That’s why I came across the P-line 328P6VUBREB. But before I buy it, I’d like to know if there is a monitor model in the same spec and price range that has similar strengths in terms of image quality but not the weaknesses I’ve highlighted?

PCM2

Hi Nexatronic,

The simple answer is that there isn’t. The Philips is a unique product and if you enjoy the rich colours, bright elements and strong highlights from HDR this will deliver the sort of look you’re after. And for SDR content including SDR movies, strong contrast and vibrant colours. The only possible alternative to consider would be the upcoming LG 32UL750. But I doubt it would improve on the dark scene HDR performance to be honest, it likely uses a similar backlighting arrangement and HDR setup.

Nexatronic

Thanks for your answer. Good to know. I’m happy with my choice then. But even though it’s an easy choice for me it’s also a pity that I need to decide between high refresh rates, low input lag and no motion blur on the one side and good image quality on the other due to the capabilities of existing panel technologies. I really hope there is a better technology coming soon that can provide both. Do you know anything that is in progress?

PCM2

There are models out there that provide a solid experience both in terms of image quality and HDR, such as the ASUS PG27UQ. But they’re vastly more expensive and also don’t currently come in any ~32″ variants. Backlight technologies such as Mini LED are being developed which will see use in ~32″ models and will allow excellent HDR and overall performance as well. But they will come at a very high price and the earlier models are aimed at “professional applications” rather than gaming. For larger screens in the not so distant future, the ASUS XG438Q has many people rather excited.

Nexatronic

Considering the high price that these monitors come with it is not worth for me to wait for them. But it sounds interesting and I will read more on that. I will propably grab a Philips P-line 328P6VUBREB next month. The only monitor that I’ve found with similar specs but on a larger screen is the Philips Momentum 436M6VBPAB. I wonder if the much higher value of nits help for better HDR experience, if the bigger screen hurts the sharpness and if it’s still okay with my viewing distance of 70-80cm. The price is almost the same though.

PCM2

There’s no need to wonder, the HDR experience of the 436M6VBPAB is covered in detail in the review. The HDR experience using its full luminance (‘VESA DisplayHDR 1000’ setting) is not good because dark areas are completely flooded, to a greater extreme than on the 328P6. If you use the ‘Normal’ setting, which restricts the luminance peak to around VESA DisplayHDR 600 level (similar to the 328P6) the dark elements maintain much better depth.

Nexatronic

Thanks for your answer. The flooding of dark areas is indeed an issue. But I’ve read the review and I still might consider this model to be an alternative. The 436M6VBPAB has a better average contrast (4243:1 vs 3246:1), luminance range (691 cd/m² vs 418 cd/m²) and a similar black luminance (about 0.15-0.16), except in ‘normal’ mode where it is much better (0.2 vs 0.15). Also it has double the dimming zones (32 vs 16), much less input lag and Free-Sync. So as long as I set it to ‘Normal’ the 436M6VBPAB is a better choice except the much lower pixel density that comes with the 43″ screen size. Did I miss (or misunderstand) something?

PCM2

You’re way off with the black point you quoted using the ‘Normal’ HDR setting on the 436M6VBPAB. Look again at the contrast data. It’s 0.03 cd/m² with the ‘Normal’ HDR setting, yielding a contrast ratio of 17767:1. Compare that with the 328P6VUBREB where the black point is 0.16 cd/m² and contrast ratio is 4188:1 using its best HDR setting. The white luminance on the larger model was recorded as 670 cd/m² vs. 533 cd/m² for that comparison, but the difference in overall contrast and black point is much more noticeable than that sort of peak luminance difference.

Nexatronic

Oh yes, I did read that wrong. It’s a huge pro for the 436M6VBPAB then but it makes it more difficult to choose aswell. Now it’s a decision between better HDR on lower pixel density (436M6VBPAB) and worse HDR on higher pixel density (328P6VUBREB). What weighs more in the daily experience of playing games and watching movies? I really would like to test it myself, but there is no market near me showcasing the models. So it might be my best bet to trust your experience as you have seen both models and are educated well in seeing all the nuances.

PCM2

It’s very much an apples to orange comparison. The 436M6VBPAB has stronger contrast outside of HDR as well. It also has a glossy screen surface which greatly enhances perceived vibrancy and contrast (at the expense of reflections), compared to the grainy-looking screen surface of the 328P6VUBREB.

Screen size and pixel density is very much a personal preference. A big issue some users have with the 436 is the static dithering issues related to the subpixels, as covered in the review. I also note that I feel it’s much less of an issue at say 80cm than 60cm, but it depends on individual sensitivity. That issue alone almost stopped me giving it a recommended badge. But there was just something really special about the HDR experience on that model which I really enjoyed and was unique amongst monitors I’ve looked at before and indeed since. Enough to make me recommend it for users interested primarily for that aspect. I didn’t give the 328P6 such an accolade, although looking purely at the pixel density and moreover sharpness and clear representation from the subpixel layout, it’s clearly better than the larger model.

Raptorpg

There is another monitor that might interest you even though it doesn’t seem to be released yet : https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/326M6VJRMB_01/momentum-4k-hdr-display-with-ambiglow/overview .

It seems to be a freesync/ambiglow version of the https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-328p6vubreb/.

I am personally waiting for it, hoping it will be out soon.

PCM2

I can confirm that it uses the same panel with the same backlight design. So aside from the obvious features & aesthetic differences (including a more modern design, FreeSync and Ambiglow) it will offer a very similar experience to the 328P6. Of course, I’m not saying those features aren’t nice – but the core points of disappointment on the 328P6 still apply.

Raptorpg

Thanks for the update, and yes you are right those points stands.

I just cant get myself to spend 1800 pounds on the acer x27 so this would have to do for now even if it’s far from perfect :).

Nexatronic

There is another monitor that might interest you even though it doesn’t seem to be released yet : https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/326M6VJRMB_01/momentum-4k-hdr-display-with-ambiglow/overview .

it will offer a very similar experience to the 328P6. Of course, I’m not saying those features aren’t nice – but the core points of disappointment on the 328P6 still apply.

So basically it will be more expensive because its newer but most likely not much better.

The 436M6VBPAB has stronger contrast outside of HDR as well. It also has a glossy screen surface which greatly enhances perceived vibrancy and contrast (at the expense of reflections), compared to the grainy-looking screen surface of the 328P6VUBREB.

I’m flexible with the lightning in my room and I like vibrancy. So that is perfect for me.

But there was just something really special about the HDR experience on that model which I really enjoyed and was unique amongst monitors I’ve looked at before and indeed since.

Sounds awesome. I will most likley get an 436M6VBPAB.

I had a little conversation with my brother today and he bought an Alienware AW3418DW recently. He was very exicted about the ultrawide experience and how immersive it is. And I’ve read your article on that too. It’s something I would like to have as an extra. But I don’t want to make compromises in terms of picture quality. Is there any ultrawide model out there that comes really close or even with the 436M6VBPAB given what I am looking for (bright, deep, crisp, color rich, vibrant, dense picture)?

PCM2

There are no current UltraWides that offer the same level of contrast nor HDR experience of the 436M6VBPAB. For vibrant colour output, though, the LG 34GK950F is excellent.

Nexatronic

Okay that’s nothing for me then. But I’ll recommend it to my brother, he still can return his Alienware AW3418DW and for him it’s other way around. Ultrawide and Gaming Performance for him are more important than picture quality but it’s an extra he likes to have when gaming and watching movies. Anyways thanks again for your help, I’m very exited to order the monitor. I will give you feedback as soon as I tested it myself.

Nexatronic

Hey 🙂 Just want you to know that I’m really glad to have the 436M6VBPAB now. In some games I find HDR turned off better due to poor implementation, but overall it’s a really good experience. As expected everything is sharp, blacks are black, whites are really white. I even turn down the brightness because it’s way to bright if you sit close, but I turn it up for movie experience sometimes. And I will never go back to a smaller screen, because I like the immersive experience. It’s like beeing “in game” for the first time in my life. And I can sit on my couch having a decent TV experience too. The lack of height adjustments is okay for me too, I didn’t really need to change anything because the screen is so big in height. On sunny days I will need better curtains, but that’s all I’d really complain about.

PCM2

I’m glad to hear that. It does indeed give a very special HDR experience on content that properly implements it. 🙂

sunnymo

i don’t want to start a new thread but i have a question about 328p6vubreb, so replied here. i’m a console gamer and looking for a monitor for both pc and ps4pro. 436m6 is too big for me then i came across 328p6vubreb. i’m very interested in how good HDR600 it is on this monitor, especially the local dimming zones. i recently read a review from Rtings of 436m6vbpab, the local dimming zones move very slowly and can’t keep up with the bright object. i wonder how it behaves in 328p6vubreb.

PCM2

Hi sunnymo,

The reactivity of the dimming zones depends on the luminance changes the monitor is performing. The Philips 436M6VBPAB does not perform well using its full luminance under HDR (i.e. using its ‘VESA HDR 1000’ or ‘UHDA’ settings). The reactivity of the dimming zones is worst when running a full black to white transition (or vice-versa). In reality, when gaming, you don’t have many transitions that go from white to black – so the dimming zone reactivity in the sort of artificial scenarios that RTINGS were showing doesn’t mean an awful lot. But it’s not really the reactivity of the dimming zones that’s the issue using those HDR settings, the whole experience is ruined by the elevated black point. The ‘Normal’ setting provides a much nicer experience – equivalent to an extremely competent VESA DisplayHDR 600 level performance. This is all explored in detail, in much more realistic settings, in our review.

The 328P6VUBREB doesn’t have any specific reactivity speed issues with its dimming zones, but there is a clear lack of depth in dark scenes. It handles daylight scenes (brighter scenes) very nicely, though, and if you’re not viewing in a dark room you’ll probably find the HDR fine for some darker content as well. Again, this is all explored in detail in the review.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.