MSI Optix MAG272QP discussion and advice

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    VAIsKing

TheUndeadButterBread, could you describe exactly how severe the g-sync flickering is on this monitor? You said it happens in loading screens, but does it also happen during smaller lag spikes?

uncia

VAIsKing, I don’t know about issues with G-Sync, but I found other issues such as VA glow that was off-putting when compared to IPS, namely the LG 27GL850. When the latter has better black levels, you get the idea how bad I felt the MSI was. It also had dull colours when compared to an old IPS with CCFL. I was surprised at this.

Meanwhile, MSI is coming out with another flat 1440p monitor this year, an IPS this time, at 32 inches instead of 27. It’s the PS321QR, and I’m curious what that will be like. I’ve had it with VA options in the arena right now. Of course, we all have our own preferences and perspectives. To some the drawbacks of VA might not be too bad. At least the static interlacing I’ve noticed in the past are gone with the latest panels, as far as I can tell. This is in the 27-inch size. I don’t know if the new 1500R at 32 inches might still have split subpixels, thick lines between pixel lines, ext.

TheUndeadButterBread

Sorry for my super delayed answer, VAIsKing. Didn’t read/get the mail.
          Having used this monitor now for quite a while I can confirm that the flickering does indeed appear in some games. Most notably in Kingdom Come: Deliverance – though while a brilliant game from a small studio, not the most polished one. But it does also appear in some other games, however I feel I cannot judge the monitor for the following reasons:

– I don’t have an all-powerful rig that can display 144 or 165hz all the time. Most of the time I get around 60-90hz, the monitor is not meant for that; for me that’s OK because this is an investment for the future where I’ll hopefully be able to hit these frames stable. I get 144hz in less demanding games like Life is Strange – don’t remember any flickering. Would be interesting to know if constant 144hz in all titles gets rid of the flickering.

– while G-SYNC compatible, the monitor is not certified G-SYNC Compatible. I’m curious if the flickering would disappear with an AMD card. I chose a Freesync monitor regardless because I’d rather have a monitor that handles Freesync (hopefully) well and G-SYNC more or less, than have a G-SYNC model that’s more expansive and obsolete should I choose AMD cards in the future. I don’t remember finding a certified G-SYNC Compatible Freesync monitor that suits my needs.

While I was using V-Sync on my old TN without a sync-technology, I never noticed the ‘V-Sync Stutter’ during gameplay. However, now with G-SYNC enabled, the games feel way more fluent and I can’t remember any tearing. The occasional flicker is never obtrusive to me and might be even countered by some settings, but I never checked that.

Overall I’m happy with the purchase – knowing there’s no perfect monitor (at least not in that price range). Colors, contrast and dark room performance seem great to me and while growing accustomed to it, I see now that even some TV’s have it no better.

Sorry if my late answer is of little help.

VAIsKing

Yeah, there are no 27 1440p VA monitors that are certified by nvidia, which is a shame. Most seems to suffer from flickering to some degree.

You said you didn’t notice much black crush, but can you also tell me how many of these boxes you can make out here:
            http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

I’ve also heard other people complain about banding on this monitor, so could you check on yours if this gradient looks smooth:
            http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

TheUndeadButterBread

Banding looks great. On my model better that the ‘What it should look like’ – probably because there’s no dithering – looks smooth. I thinks it occurs in a lot of media regardless because of the source material.
              There’s definitely some black crush, like on all VAs if I’m not mistaken, on brightness 100/100 first three appear the same, on 50/100 first four appear the same.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.