Dell U2719DC vs. other Dell monitors

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 89 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    iazriel

Well, my final 2 cents. I received the BenQ PD2710QC today. I am completely stunned. It is in every possible way better than the Dell S2719DC. I was lucky enough to get an excellent panel with minimal bleed or other IPS diseases. Excellent pre-calibration as you can see and out of the box the Standard or M-book (macbook simulated) modes are excellent. Plus I have never seen such good black in an IPS display before. Don’t care about the Dell anymore, I will make use of Amazon’s DOA. You told me that the BenQ was more accurate but man, this is awesome.

https://imgur.com/a/nliJwDE

PCM2

I’m glad you’re happy with the BenQ PD2710QC. I have to say I was also very impressed with the factory calibration and overall performance of the U2719DC, but it seems the S2719DC misses the mark.

iazriel

I think if the U2719DC had the HDR600 certification, that would be ideal considering the higher quality control Dell puts on the UltraSharp series. Dunno what the price would be though…

Malachi

PCM2, what are your thoughts about Dell D2719HGF? Any plans to make full review? Is it worth buying under 200$ budget?

PCM2

No plans to review that model, you can’t get it here in the UK anyway. It’s about as no frills as high refresh rate monitors come, so I wouldn’t expect anything amazing from it. And according to user feedback it seems to have some (uncorrectable in OSD) gamma issues which won’t help.

clearestsky

Hi, I want to buy a new monitor for home use, which will include mostly coding, reading, and non-competitive gaming. Also some graphics design and photography, but totally not professionally. I use a Dell U-series at work and I’m very happy with it, so Dell is one of my top options. I want a 27″ screen and I think that 1440p is the ideal resolution for my use. I’ve considered other options (high refresh rate—but a TN panel seems to be too much of a visual compromise; 4K, but scaling in Windows is still not perfect and requires more budget on the GPU end; 5K, as in 5120×2880, duh, doesn’t seem to be strong on the market).

After a while of browsing I think two good candidates are the Dell models U2719D (very similar to the one I use at work, sounds trustworthy!) and S2719DC (love the design! And HDR is an attractive feature, no?). They are priced pretty much the same. Now, I keep reading that the U models have better panels, but the reviews of S2719D(M/C) don’t look half bad. I don’t care much about the multiple ports. I couldn’t find any information that would help me understand if, by choosing the S model, I sacrifice too much. Or there is some factor that I forget about. Can anyone help getting a better understanding of the reasons to choose one or the other? Or suggest any alternative to these two models? Thanks!

PCM2

Hi clearestsky,

I’ve merged your post with an existing topic that covers the comparison. Have a look through this. The panel itself is not better quality on the U2719D(C), in fact it’s a version of the same one used on the S2719DC. However; the ‘U’ offers a superior factory calibration, ergonomic flexibility and port selection. And the HDR capabilities of the S2719DC don’t seem entirely convincing.

clearestsky

Hey,

Thanks for the quick answer! This topic sure helps a lot and I read all through it. I still have so many questions. May I ask you to expand on those specific points?

– is the factory calibration something that I would notice in non-professional usage? This seems to be the only display-specific edge the U has over the S.
                    – what is the “ergonomic flexibility” we are talking about? Is this about tilting, swivelling, pivoting? I only care about regulating height.
                    – leaving aside HDR, what should I expect in terms of contrast, brightness, and vividness, when comparing the two screens?
                    – are there other differences (other than what was mentioned: design, calibration, ergonomics, ports, HDR600)?
                    – oh, right, warranty? Is it right that the U has 3 years manufacturer warranty, and the S only 1? I’m buying in Germany.
                    – uh, FreeSync? Does it matter? I have a nVidia GPU.

I apologize for the long list of questions. And the ones that are implied by my relatively scarce knowledge and confusion on the topic. I’ve only found confusing answers online and I hope this can help me and others. I hope to buy a monitor I can use for a few years and I don’t want to end up complaining about something I haven’t considered 🙂

PCM2

– The S2719DC is still generally well calibrated, just not as tightly as the U2719D and there seems to be more variation between units. This isn’t worth worrying about for your uses.

– That’s right. Ergonomic flexibility refers to how adjustable the screen is on the stand. The ‘S’ only allows you to tilt – you can’t adjust height or anything else. And there are no VESA holes so you can’t just mount it to a more flexible stand.

– The big difference is that the ‘S’ has a wider colour gamut. Which means it makes colours appear more vibrant (less accurate-looking) if you’re looking at most content. Which is designed with the sRGB colour space in mind. Colours on the ‘U’ are still vibrant and have some extra saturation, but not as much as on the ‘S’. There’s an sRGB emulation mode on both models, although I’m not sure how well it works on the ‘S’ model. As discussed in the ‘U’ review, it works well on that model.

– I’m not clear on the warranty length. Because Dell has contradictory information on their website. For the ‘S’ they state:

“Your monitor comes with a 3-year Advanced Exchange Servicei so that if a replacement becomes necessary, it will be shipped to you the next business day during your 3-year Limited Hardware Warranty”.

Yet they also state that it has a ‘1 year warranty’ in the specificatons. You’d best ask them to clarify.

The ‘U’ series also has a ‘Premium Panel Guarantee’ which extends the list of reasons you could return the monitor. So even if you find one bright pixel you could exchange it. Generally these are found when you get the monitor rather than developing over time, so you would be able to easily swap with the retailer (i.e. Amazon) if they offer a good returns policy.

– Nvidia users can use Adaptive-Sync (‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’) as covered in this thread and our reviews of recent monitors where this is relevant. I’m not sure how well this works on the S2719DC. It is only really relevant to you if you game and your frame rate frequently dips below 60fps. I didn’t find the lack of support an issue on the ‘U’ model, but I have a GTX 1080 Ti and wouldn’t use settings that didn’t yield a good solid 60fps most of the time.

clearestsky

Thank you for helping! That’s very good information. For some reason I’d assumed that you can adjust height on S2719DC, but you can’t. Also, the website lists it as being mountable, which is obviously not true. Given this, and the warranty, it looks like I will prefer the U2719D model (or maybe the USB-C variant, which I believe is otherwise identical).

One aspect that we haven’t covered is the difference in brightness. U2719D lists 350 cd/m² typical, while S2719DC is stated to be 400 cd/m² typical (with 600 peak, whatever that means). If I understand the reviews correctly, this does not translate in better contrast. So what this means (ignoring HDR) is just that the screen of the “S” is, uh, a better desk lamp at 100% brightness. Which might help a bit in a brightly-lit room. Is my understanding correct, or are there other reasons to prefer a brighter monitor?

One more thing I want to mention in comparing these two models for those who are looking to buy one: the S model has an external “power brick”-style power supply, while the U has internal power.

PCM2

Your understanding is correct regarding brightness. It means the ‘U’ is bright (brighter than most people would want to use, even in a well-lit room) whereas the ‘S’ is even brighter! Most users will set the monitor to a much lower brightness than the maximum that the ‘U’ can go. The ‘600 cd/m² peak’ refers to how bright the ‘S’ model can go under HDR.

AndrewK

Hey guys,

I’m deciding between Dell S2719DM, U2719D and LG 27UK600. I love the design of both Dells, S more then U but what I’m worried about is the flickering. You guys at PC Monitors say that Dell monitors are flicker free but reviews on sites like rtings say the Dell monitors are not flicker free while almost every LG is flicker free. I’m also kind of keen to have a UHD monitor, I would upscale it so that the size would be like 100% on QHD resolution but scaling on some applications and programs is bad but when it works upscaled UHD just looks better then QHD. HDR is not a must for me but it’s a welcomed feature.

Edit:

Oh, I just noticed that Dell S2719DM is IPS panel while U2719D is PLS, interesting. IPS is generally a little bit better if I’m not mistaken. Also LG are AH-IPS while Dell S is IPS which is worse and like I said before LG is flicker free (does not use LED PWM Dimming) while Dell are not, if that’s true then Dell are not for me.

I can get the monitors for this prices:

LG 27UK600-W 389€
                            LG 27UK650-W 385€
                            Dell S2719DM 380€
                            Dell U2719D 416€

PCM2

We use an oscilloscope to measure the exact nature of backlight regulation. The Dell U2719D is flicker-free as confirmed by ourselves and TFT Central. RTINGS haven’t reviewed the product, so I’m not sure what you’re referring to there. It’s not correct that IPS is superior to PLS – so yes, I’ll happily correct you there. It depends on the specific panel you’re looking at. The U2719D is an excellent monitor and has a very good panel so there’s no use getting bogged down by the specific technology and making misguided generalisations based on that.

Further to this, where have you seen it stated that the S2719DM uses an IPS panel? It may do, but I’m quite sure at least some units use a Samsung PLS panel. If you’re relying on displayspecifications.com then don’t – they are full of misleading information. And many sources will state “IPS” simply to mean ‘IPS-type’ which includes Samsung PLS, AUO AHVA and IPS-type panels from various other manufacturers.

Have you checked out the Philips 276E8VJSB? If you’re not interested in some of the features like FreeSync and (frankly poor) HDR on the LG models, consider that instead. It’s generally cheaper and I feel it offers slightly better image quality. The screen surface is more agreeable (smoother), pixel responses perhaps a bit better tuned and I believe colour gamut may be a touch broader. Generally a better value proposition if you’re after a 27″ UHD model and don’t care about the limitations with the stand.

AndrewK

Thank you for your reply.

Rtings reviewed the bigger U3219Q model which according to Dell uses their flicker free tech like U2719D and S2719DM, but according to Rtings review and some users it’s not flicker free so it’s difficult to take Dells word that their monitors are flicker free but if S and U2719 are flicker free according to you and tft central aswell then it has to be so.

Yes, I have been looking at Philips 276E8VJSB and even AOC Q3279VWFD8, two very affordable monitors but I really dislike the look of both. Philips has better image quality then LG 27UK600 you say or did I missunderstood you, if so very interesting, it’s 100€ cheaper but looks is also very important for me and Philips is not attractive at all.

I will be using the monitor for producing music, so I would like to get as much as possible stuff into the picture and I’m also making my own covers but I think that all of this monitors have good enaugh colours for this.

I favour Dell because of the design but want LG because of UHD. I will probably get one more monitor in the future, would like to have a dual setup with two of the same monitors.

PCM2

That’s a completely different model with a different panel and different backlight regulation circuit. So that’s not relevant to the models being discussed here. There are examples of models from LG which are marketed as flicker-free but actually aren’t as well – LG 32UL950, for example.

Yes, the Philips is a better buy than the LG alternatives and has slightly better image quality. But there’s not a massive difference in that respect – our main recommendation is the Philips but we recommend the LG models as alternatives if you’re interested in better ergonomic flexibility or extra capabilities such as Adaptive-Sync or (weak) HDR support. And in your case, if you prefer the design then that makes sense as well. Out of curiosity, though, what is it you specifically don’t like about the Philips design? The overall shape is similar to the LG model and the stand is more elegant in my view. Less robust-looking, but still solid enough. That glossy bottom bezel isn’t wonderful, though.

Out of interest, why are you assuming that if you got a 27″ UHD screen that you’d need to use a level of scaling that would make things look (in terms of size) like a 27″ WQHD model? Many users would actually find 125% scaling just fine, as we suggest in our reviews and article on the topic. But it depends on your eyesight, viewing distance and personal preferences.

AndrewK

Dont get me wrong I dont care for the brand, picture and looks is most important to me doesn’t matter which brand.

Well I really dislike the stand of the Philips, I prefer the bulkier grey one from LG and a glossy frame, this is a no go for me, my room is very reflective. If it wouldn’t be for the glossy frame I would probably get two of them and buy a vesa mount.

About UHD, I still don’t get the scaling thing, I watched a video on it.

According to some comments in the video if you scale UHD to 150% it’s the same like using QHD at 100% just sharper but you have the same work space like with QHD at 100% but it wasnt like this when I tried my 43″ 4k Philips TV side by side with my brothers AOC Q3279VWFD8 which is QHD and even when we scaled the TV to 150% and 175% there was still quite more work space then on his AOC at 100%, so at which scaling exactly do you get the same work space with UHD as it is on QHD at 100%?

PCM2

If you scale a UHD model to 150%, then the work area should in theory be the same as a WQHD screen. You weren’t by any chance making observations in a web browser to assess the differences in screen space, were you? Because if you’re using application-specific zoom that is applied on top of scaling and could mess things up. And so could elements that aren’t scaling properly in some applications (buttons etc.) – they may take up more or potentially less space than they should.

AndrewK

We made the comparison in FastStone Image Viewer, wouldn’t the same happen with other programs, like Photoshop or the DAW I’m using for producing music?

PCM2

It depends on the specific program and how they handle scaling. What I know is that I like to use 125% scaling on ~27″ UHD models and that provides significant real-estate benefits compared to WQHD models. On the programs I use, which includes web browsers and Microsoft applications (including Word etc.)

AndrewK

I think that 125% on UHD would be too small for me. I wear glasses and I prefer bigger Text. I’m using 24″ 1080p right now which I find very nice, wouldnt want much smaller text. I almost find 100% on my bros 32″ QHD AOC too small, he is using it at 125% and his vision is perfect. So I guess it’s pointless for me to buy a UHD, I have a 4k TV for watching movies and playing games.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 89 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.