Dell U2719DC vs. other Dell monitors

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 89 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    rrix

Hello,

I am choosing a monitor for everyday working. At the moment my options are Dell U2518D or U2717D. But I see that some webpages have started pre-selling U2719DC, which is a very new model. Could anyone share reasons why this new monitor would be better or do you think it won’t be better at all from my current options?

Riho

PCM2

Hi Riho and welcome,

The main addition to the Dell S2719DC is VESA DisplayHDR 600 support, as covered in our news piece. This means that the monitor has the ability to exceed the luminance of the other models, has a wider colour gamut that can be used appropriately and has a local dimming solution on the backlight to greatly enhance contrast – for HDR content. For SDR content, the wider colour gamut (90% DCI-P3 which is a fair bit broader than your typical standard gamut UltraSharp, such as those mentioned) gives superior vibrancy and saturation levels.

It isn’t clear whether the local dimming solution can be used for SDR content as well, if it can then that would be of great benefit outside of HDR content. If you want to make use of this HDR capability then that’s a significant advantage. If not, you have to decide whether the extra vibrancy of the more generous colour gamut would be appealing to you. And whether the styling and limited eronomic flexibility are outweighed by these potential benefits. You can get a good idea of what to expect in terms of the general styling of the monitor in our review of the older S2719DM. Although I’ve requested a review sample of the DC model on multiple occasions from Dell, they’ve yet to provide anything.

Edit: Talking about a different model, I blame jetlag. See subsequent reply.

rrix

Thank you for the reply. This really helps. You have a wonderful environment here. Could you please elaborate what do you mean by the limited ergonomic flexibility? It has all the same pivot, swivel, height adjustment possibilities, just swivel is now from a hinge behind the attachment point and 80deg instead of 90deg. The stand of the S2719DM is way different and the screen design also, at least from the back. Only the metallic color is the same.

At the moment I plan to pursue this model. I hope you get the monitor for reviewing as it may go some time before I can purchase it from a local shop to save shipping. In general I understand you find this model to be a promising piece for a working environment?

PCM2

Sorry, rrix. I am still heavily jetlagged from a very recent vacation and the 8-hour time difference. When you initially posted I wasn’t aware of the U2719DC so my tired brain automatically switched to thinking of the S2719DC and I was wittering on about that instead. It’s a useful monitor to throw into any comparison of recent Dell models, but not what you were looking for at all.

The U2719DC is indeed very similar to the other UltraSharps you mentioned. The main progression, as mentioned in the news piece, is really that they’ve slimmed down the bezels a bit more and also shaved a bit off the overall monitor depth. The stand is also a bit more compact. I can’t say much about the performance without testing the monitor, but I’d expect it to be quite similar to the other fairly recent UltraSharps. So you can expect respectable ‘out of the box’ performance with a nice sRGB factory calibration and decent 60Hz responsiveness. The other thing to note is that the ‘DC’ variant features a USB Type-C port. If you don’t intend to use that, stick with the slightly cheaper ‘D’ variant that lacks this.

rrix

Hi, I discarded the rest of the DELLs but now added Samsung LS27H850Q. Care to compare this one? stats are pretty similar.

PCM2

No, as I have no experience with the S27H850 (which is the preferred shorthand designation). Why did you discard the other Dells? If it was due to user feedback then be extremely careful. Dell are very popular, especially their UltraSharp models. People are more likely to leave negative feedback than positive feedback. Hence there is always a significant volume of negative feedback surrounding their products. I understand that can put users off, but I can assure you these monitors are no worse than others which simply lack substantial feedback. In fact they are better in most respects, as per our U2518D review for example which compares favourably in some respects to the also decent AOC Q2577PWQ. It uses a similar panel, but isn’t as well calibrated or quite as responsive.

rrix

Maybe you got me wrong. I decided U2719DC to be the best choice from DELL for me. This is still my main choice. It’s just that I work in a science research facility and all the monitors are samusungs here. At first I didn’t find any business type samsungs that would fit my needs but the S27H850 could be one of them. I like the design. Although I already got a deal for U2719DC I think I like the looks of S27H850 a little more and that is why I’m asking a comparison. I agree that dells are one of the best.

PCM2

Understood. Having used many of Samsung’s PLS (IPS-type) models in the past, I reckon you’d be quite satisfied with the SH850. Whilst I can’t delve into a technical comaprison as I haven’t used it, you can expect similar image characteristics to the Dell models. And the manufacturer also tends to offer decent factory calibration these days, with decent flexibility with OSD settings (including different gamma modes). If you prefer the aesthetics of the Samsung model or other features on it then I think it’s a good choice really. 🙂

cfil

Hello,
                      I am french ans i am looking to change my dell wtf 2408 that I have since 2008.
                      my pc serves me for office, web and some games (cs, diablo, assassin’creed …)
                      I want to stay at dell because I’m happy with this brand.
                      I selected the U2719DC (I have a macbook pro), the U2518D and the U2718Q.
                      as I do not change the screen often, what do you recommend?
                      I am looking for a screen that I can keep a long time.
                      Thank you for your help.

PCM2

Hi cfil,

Most of these options and in particular the U2719DC are discussed here, so I’ve merged your thread with this one. I don’t really think the U2718Q is worth paying extra for over the other models you’re considering, considering your uses. The HDR functionality is quite poor without any local dimming support and you’re paying a premium for that. If you wanted a ‘4K’ model there are more economical alternatives with similar performance, including the 27″ LG model(s) we recommend.

The U2518D and U2719DC are both good all-rounders, at least I would assume so. I’ve thoroughly reviewed and recommend the U25, but I haven’t tested the U27 and would base this on certain assumptions. Have a read through my earlier posts in this thread.

rrix

Hi PCM2,

I bought U2719DC now. The design is exceptional. Totally love it. I also have a silver dell laptop and km717 keyboard + mouse. A truly aesthetic setup.

I am not a professional reviewer neither a monitor enthusiast so I don’t know how to review it. But I would be more than glad to produce any tests if any reviewers feel that this would benefit the community.

At the moment I can say that the eye-saver light is very pleasing and I’m using usb-C(screen) to usb-A for usb ports and DP(screen)-miniDP for screen. These cables didn’t come with the monitor. Only usb-c to usb-c and DP to DP came. Both are useless for me. Also, the WQHD resolution makes my computer slower. the resolution is truly truly crisp. Text is very very sharp. But when I switch to FullHD everything blurrs. The swiveling, pivoting and moving of the screen up and down are extremely smooth and pleasant. The design is certainly more than I expected. My supervisor even complimented that “Dell has some style”. Also KM717 mouse and keyboard are just a joy to use. Very smooth. Also they have the possibility to connect to 3 different PC-s. USB-C also feels to be expanding the options as this port can be used for different purposes.

PCM2

Thanks for the feedback, Riho. I’m glad to see that you’re happy with the monitor and that you’ve received compliments on how it looks on the desk. Definitely a bonus! It is indeed a very flexible solution with a nice range of ports. There aren’t any specific tests I’d recommend running, at least not ones that would try to spot possible weaknesses. As I know users can sometimes get obsessive about that sort of thing and worry that there’s something wrong with their monitor, which they were oddly totally happy with before running said test. Not saying this would apply to you, of course, just generalising here.

Having said that, I’m personally quite curious as to the motion performance and how the pixel overdrive is tuned. If you’re able to observe the UFOs here and comment on whether you can see any obvious trailing or overshoot it would be helpful. For reference, the object itself will appear quite broad and unfocused because this is a 60Hz monitor. I’m more interested in any particular weaknesses in addition to that.

cfil

Thank you for your answers. as I have a versatile use, I do not know the technologies that must be privileged (4K, HDR, g-sync …). I am looking for a durable screen in time with a good quality of image, which does not tire too much the view and which makes it possible to play comfortably.

PCM2

I feel either the U2518D or U2719D would give you a nice experience and work well for your uses. The key difference to focus on is the screen size. I’ve written a little about how I found the 2560 x 1440 resolution on a 25″ screen in the relevant section of the U2518D review. The pixel density is a bit tighter on the 25″ screen compared to 27″, so things look slightly smaller and also potentially a bit crisper – as noted in that section of the review, it isn’t a difference I find particularly huge. I think the physical screen size itself is a more important factor to focus on and that is something which comes down to personal preferences. 🙂

cfil

it’s not embarrassing that the U2719DC is not HDR?

And what do you think dell s2417dg? Good for my use?

PCM2

It’s not remotely embarassing that the U2719DC lacks HDR. What’s embarassing are monitors which offer ‘HDR support’ but do so extremely poorly. The vast majority of monitors which claim to offer ‘HDR’ lack any sort of effective local dimming on the backlight and most lack an appropriate colour gamut for HDR. So they are unable to provide the sort of contrast or colour performance that HDR calls for. The Dell UP2718Q for example, offers local dimming and an appropriate colour gamut for HDR content (~DCI-P3). But the local dimming is very poorly implemented as I mentioned above, it’s laggy (unresponsive) and unable to provide a convincing HDR performance. Most users actually prefer keeping the feature disabled with that monitor. The U2718Q does not offer any local dimming whatsoever and the colour gamut falls way short of the DCI-P3 target.

You might want to consider the Dell S2719DC, as above, if you’re interested in HDR. But as I’ve mentioned I haven’t tested it so can’t confirm exactly how good the HDR support is. The Dell S2417DG I have tested and have provided the most comprehensive review (and video review) of on the internet. So why not have a read of that and see if you like what it offers? It’s all about offering excellent responsiveness and decent image quality. Whereas the likes of the U2518D provide worse responsiveness but significantly better image quality (particularly colour reproduction). So it depends what you prioritise and also whether you can actually drive your games at a suitable frame rate to take advantage of the 144Hz refresh rate of the Dell (aim for triple digits, ideally 165fps – at 2560 x 1440).

cfil

with a recoil of 70 cm, you recommend a 24 , 25 or 27 ‘?

PCM2

I assume you mean viewing distance (recoil doesn’t make sense in that context) and ” (inches) rather than ‘ (ft). 🙂 The bad news is, I’d recommend any of those sizes from that sort of viewing distance. It’s down to your own personal preferences. I could happily use a 24″, 25″, 27″, 32″ or at a push ~40″ monitor from that sort of viewing distance. It depends what you’re used to and your own tolerances for screen size. But I don’t think that is by any means too close to sit to a 27″ screen, if you want to look at it that way.

cfil

Thank you for your reply. very difficult to choose between the U2719DC and the U2518. I also look at the s2719dc but I do not know between the range S and U the difference in quality.

PCM2

As mentioned earlier in this thread you should refer to our review of the S2719DM for an idea of what to expect from the ‘quality’ of the monitor. Build quality is good and I actually liked the premium metal touches. But the ‘U’ models give you a greater range of ports and the ability to adjust the stand in more ways than just tilting it backwards or forwards. Again, as I haven’t tested the S2719DC I can’t give any technical details of what to expect from it beyond what I’ve already said in this thread and the news article on the monitor. But you should expect good factory calibration (no worse than the ‘U’ models) and no particular issues with ‘quality’ beyond what you may normally expect from a monitor, including the UltraSharp models.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 89 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.