BenQ EX2510 vs Acer XB253Q GP for PC games

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    CsZsolt

Which monitor to choose from the two:
      Acer Predator XB253Q GP
      BenQ EX2510

Or a different monitor in this price range?

I love the BenQ eyecare feature. I have an Nvidia card.

PCM2

Hi CsZsolt,

What games do you play and what Nvidia GPU do you have? What sort of frame rates would you be getting at the Full HD resolution?

CsZsolt

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600+ gtx 1060 (average budget gamer here). And this year or next (depending on the market). I want to upgrade to RTX 3060 or similar from amd. The main goal is to run 144hz 1080p games.

PCM2

Ultimately I recommend both of these monitors for PC gaming so I’d like to go into this comparison in a bit of detail. The EX2510 is very similar to the EX2710 we’ve reviewed, aside from the screen size and pixel density. So our review of the 27″ model will give you a very good idea of what to expect from the 24.5″ model. I appreciate there’s a massive amount of information in both reviews so it would be difficult to sift through, but the BenQ EX2510 and Acer XB253Q GP have far more similarities than they do differences. They’re both based on the same panel; the AUO M250HAN01.6 AHVA IPS-type panel.

The Acer is very well tuned for a strong 144Hz performance. The BenQ is no slouch, but as you’ll see from the comparison in our EX2710 review the Acer offers slightly faster pixel responses in the UFO Motion Test for ghosting with both models using their optimal setting. So there’s a little bit less ‘powdery trailing’ behind moving objects and therefore perceived blur is very slightly lowered. Both models perform very well here and offer a competent 144Hz performance, but the Acer still has a slight edge. It offers a similar performance to the BenQ set to its ‘AMA = 2’ pixel overdrive setting, but does so with less overshoot (inverse ghosting – ‘halo’ trails etc.) Most users would probably use ‘AMA = 1’ on the BenQ as they’d find the overshoot a touch high otherwise. Both models outperform the AOC 24G2(U) we reviewed with its Panda IPS-type panel in this test and through broader subjective testing in games. But really, the vast majority of users would be happy with any of these models when it comes to responsiveness, none are slow by any means. These are just slight differences I’m highlighting here as I like to be thorough.

The Acer is less well tuned for lower refresh rates. The ‘Normal’ overdrive setting works really nicely at 144Hz, but below that you will get moderate to strong (depending how low the refresh rate is) overshoot. This is important to be aware of in a VRR environment – if you use ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ for example. Because when your frame rate dips, the refresh rate will as well and you’ll get an increase in overshoot. This is explored in the review and I recommend setting overdrive to ‘Off’ if you’re frequently dipping into double digit refresh rates. This is a bit of a pain to do and depending on the games you play you might find some scenes you’re happily getting close to 144fps or well above 100fps at least, other times you dip below that. With the RTX 3060 this will happen much less frequently than with the GTX 1060. But the nice thing with the BenQ is that it has a setting (‘AMA = 1’) that works nicely at all refresh rates really. Certainly giving less overshoot than the Acer would if you left it in its ‘Normal’ setting and the refresh rate dips. So it’s set and forget rather than an extra thing to worry about.

You mentioned liking the ‘Eye Care’ features of the BenQ. It’s worth noting that the Acer ticks the same boxes for viewing comfort, including; having a flicker-free backlight, no dithering used, similar brightness adjustment range, similar screen surface and Low Blue Light (LBL) settings. It doesn’t have the ‘B.I.+’ feature – but as I note in the OSD video of the BenQ EX2710 (below) I don’t much like this feature anyway. It tries to do too much and doesn’t account for the fact people have their own preferences. I do prefer the balance that the BenQ Low Blue Light (LBL) settings give to the image as they don’t impart a green tint and are easier for the eyes to adjust to. It comes at the expense of contrast as demonstrated in the review, but this is really a secondary concern in my view when using this sort of setting. Really the Acer settings are just as effective at reducing blue light output.

The Acer has a more solid ‘feel’ in my opinion due to the powder coated metal stand and it offers superior ergonomics as you can rotate the screen into portrait. The BenQ actually has an extra 10mm height adjustment (130mm vs. 120mm), though, and both models offer 100 x 100mm VESA mounting if you prefer to use a different solution. The Acer has a few extra as well such as an integrated flip-down headphone hook and 4 USB 3.0 ports. The BenQ has superior integrated speakers, so perhaps something to consider should you find yourself wanting to use those from time to time. I’d also slip in here that I found the BenQ’s build quite solid even though the stand base is plastic, so don’t be concerned about it feeling ‘cheap’.

The BenQ and Acer are difficult to separate when it comes to colour performance or contrast. Same panel and both are nicely calibrated – there will be a bit of inter-unit variation but from feedback I’ve seen you can expect a good factory calibration with both models. A few final things to note includes that only the BenQ supports FreeSync via HDMI and lists ‘1080p @120Hz’ in a PS5 friendly manner. None of this matters as a PC gamer – you’ll be using DP happily and making use of the full feature set, but it’s still worth mentioning. A final point to note is that competitive gamers sometimes like to make use of a gamma enhancement feature that will lift up dark shades to make enemies more visible in dark surroundings etc. Both models offer this sort of feature – ‘Black Boost’ for the Acer and ‘Black eQualizer’ or ‘Light Tuner’ for the BenQ depending on preset used. I think both implementations are decent, but I’d give a slight edge to the BenQ. As the settings there seemed more targeted and had less of an effect on pure blacks and contrast.

So you may still be confused after reading this – and that’s fine. It’s because the EX2510 and Acer XB253Q GP are very good monitors in my view, with slightly different strengths and unique features. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with either model really.

CsZsolt

You mentioned that Acer has gsync problems. So I’m more attracted to Benq, but the build quality and fast charging usb socket, and the stronger 144hz operation also make Acer attractive, but since I only have a GTX1060 right now, benq seems like a more balanced choice.

Thank you for your effort and advice! Have a great day!

PCM2

‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ is indeed imperfect on the XB253Q GP with GTX 10 Series GPUs, but seems to work fine with newer GPUs. Although I didn’t test the BenQ with a GTX 10 Series GPU, I’ve certainly received feedback from users with such GPUs that found the technology worked well for them. The issues I had with the Acer even on my GTX 10 Series GPU were pretty minor, but I agree it would be nicer if they weren’t there.

On my RTX 3090 with the EX2710, I was pleasantly surprised to find the technology not only work well but actually give a bit of a bonus over FreeSync. With a lower floor of operation of 38Hz vs. 48Hz, LFC below that. I’m not sure if this applies to the EX2510 as well, but at the very least you can expect it to deliver a very similar experience to FreeSync with a 48Hz floor of operation and LFC below that. But it doesn’t sound like you intend to game at such low frames anyway and certainly shouldn’t expect to do if you get your RTX 3060. So the floor of operation and where exactly LFC kicks in won’t make a difference to you.

PCM2

Just to note that as of driver version 461.40, this model is officially certified as ‘G-SYNC Compatible’. Which means it has been specifically tested by Nvidia and passes various quality checks with the technology working as it should. Issues highlighted in the review shouldn’t be expected, certainly not with newer GPUs.

Wolfx

Hello, everyone.

Recently, I have started looking after a new monitor and after deciding to prioritize refresh rate over resolution, I figured out that I will take a 1080p monitor at 144Hz over 1440P at a lesser refresh rate.

It appears, 24-inch is the most suitable area for 1080p gaming.

Now, the budget would be around €250 (since I’m in Cyprus and stuff ends up costing more here or me having to pay extra for “overseas” delivery).

My first search brought up the following models: (Asus TUF Gaming) VG249Q, (Acer Nitro) XF243Y P, and AOC 24G2. However, it appears that they are budget and some compromises are made. VG249Q is dim, and XF243YP and 24G2 have worse response times.

A new search brought the following: (BenQ MOBIUZ) EX2510 and (Acer Predator) XB253Q GP.

Both models seem pretty strong. While I’m sure there are some caveats preventing each model from being perfect but I certainly don’t mind at this price range. Therefore, the question is what are the weaknesses of each when comparing them and perhaps are there any other models I’m potentially being blind to (1080p, 144Hz, 24-inch)?

Thanks for reading.

PCM2

Wolfx – I’ve merged your thread with this one which compares both of those models. They’re my main two recommendations given your uses, preferences and budget.

You mentioned in your original thread title you had a GTX 1070, so you will find ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ has those slight issues described in our review on the XB253Q GP (now addressed). I stress they’re minor issues and actually most won’t notice them at all. The EX2510 works as it should with the technology, even on a GTX 1070. There’s also a mildly overclocked (165Hz) version, the EX2510S by the way – but it’s slightly more expensive and it appears the slightly higher refresh rate is the only difference. You’d need >144fps to take advantage of that, anyway.

Wolfx

Hello. Thank you for the reply.

Regarding XB253Q GP, which is on the recommended page here, would you say EX2510(S) would match be better as I have a GTX 1070? I heard that XB253Q GP G-SYNC issue was fixed but not sure what to make of it now.

Either way I don’t mind getting any of the three like you said all have similar prices on Amazon but if possible I’m still looking for that extra detail which would push me in one’s direction. I’m trying to find any drawbacks but currently I had the impression that XB253Q GP had faster response than EX2510(S) and it made it better with the G-SYNC issue being addressed leaving no weak spots.

PCM2

Yes you’re right – I forgot that I’d even noted in the review that the XB253Q GP is now officially certified as ‘G-SYNC Compatible’ by Nvidia. I’ve received good feedback from users of the GTX 10 Series even before it was ‘fixed’, so I don’t think you should worry about the issues I was referring to. They’re unlikely to exist any more and even if they do you’re unlikely to find them problematic. The responsiveness comparison that was covered in my first post confirmed that the XB253Q GP is very well tuned at 144Hz. I would give it the edge in responsiveness overall. But for lower refresh rates and particularly double-digits the EX2510/EX2510S offers the lower overshoot experience.

Huge genereralisation here, but if you think you’ll be spending a lot of the time with triple-digit refresh rates the Acer has the edge in my view. And that’s where you’d ideally want to be with a 144Hz monitor anyway. Otherwise the BenQ models might be more appropriate. Some other details I mentioned in my first post could also sway you one way or the other, such as the more premium stand materials of the Acer.

drodriguezwork

Hi, I found this thread through a search engine and really enjoy these reviews! I’m also considering the XB253Q vs the BenQ EX2710. I’m on a 6600XT so I’m a 1080p gamer and play at either 60 or 120. But if the Acer does not list FreeSync, and AMD’s website does not list that monitor as approved, does that mean it’s incompatible? I’ve read that G-Sync essentially does FreeSync as well, despite being from competitors.

Thanks!

PCM2

Hi drodriguezwork,

There shouldn’t be any doubt about this given that we specifically cover and test FreeSync in our reviews, including that of the XB253Q GP. To clarify; it works as it should via DP, but isn’t supported via HDMI. Same as ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ in that respect. Usually if a monitor is FreeSync certified these days it will work via both DP and HDMI (as with the EX2710). As a general point, there aren’t any models that would work properly with ‘G-SYNC Compatible Mode’ but not work properly with FreeSync via DP. There can be slight quirks with one technology vs. the other but usually it’s ‘G-SYNC Compatible’ that would show these if anything – that’s why we cover both in our reviews.

MagicBeard

Greetings!

I have actually been following your reviews for a very long time. Thanks to them, I have always bought great monitors. Thank you for that!

I really like the EX2510S, in my country it is much cheaper than the Acer XB253Q GP. I am perfectly aware of all the benefits of the EX2510, but what really worries me is the question: is the EX2510S really a downgrade, not considering the refresh rate? I heard that the calibration and perhaps most importantly for me – the screen brightness has become 20% less.

I would be very grateful if you could answer this question, it will allow me to make the final choice and make another victory with your help in buying a monitor.

PCM2

Hi MagicBeard – nice to hear from a long-time fan!

The BenQ MOBIUZ EX25 and EX27 models aren’t particularly tightly calibrated – so there are no guarantees in that respect. I’m not convinced it’s really the case that the ‘S’ model is worse than the older model when it comes to this, it’s more likely inter-unit variation coming into play when comparing one review sample (or user’s monitor) to another. Whilst I don’t have a huge amount of data to go on, I have certainly seen evidence of gamma calibration differing between units of the original EX25 and EX27. Not all tracked as close to the ‘2.2’ curve as our EX2710 sample (which was, itself, not perfect in that respect). It’s likely the same story for the ‘S’ variants, I’d be pretty surprised if they were universally poorer in that respect than the older models though it’s not impossible if the 165Hz versions of the panels just have natively ‘weird’ gamma handling. I would expect, for gaming, people will be perfectly happy with how the gamma is handled even if it doesn’t track the ‘2.2’ curve all that closely. Plus there are 5 ‘Gamma’ settings so people can hopefully find one that suits their preferences.

The older EX25 had a specified 350 cd/m² typical maximum luminance, whereas the ‘S’ model has 280 cd/m² specified. This is a limit BenQ has imposed themselves to attempt to limit power consumption under SDR (both models are capable of the same brightness, under HDR). Just in case some people like to set the monitor to full brightness without really thinking, even if that is unnecessarily bright. Some manufacturers have a warning message on the screen that increasing brightness past a certain point (or simply changing settings from default) will increase power consumption and others have a dedicated ‘high brightness’ or ‘max brightness’ setting you have to enable. This is all due to increasingly strict energy efficiency regulations, but I don’t personally agree with the hard limit BenQ has put on quite a few of their newer gaming monitors under SDR. Rant aside, 280 cd/m² is still pretty bright and brighter than most people would like anyway – 100 – 200 cd/m² is more usual for people to set their monitor to, though some people prefer brighter and some dimmer.

Edit: The EX2510S may have a ‘unique’ issue with gamut under-coverage.

MagicBeard

Thank you for the clarification!

Probably the last thing I wanted to clarify: in your opinion, is 280 cd / m² enough for comfortable office work and gaming?
                                    Is there a noticeable difference, or do you think it’s nothing to worry about?

PCM2

I think I answered that at the end of my previous reply. Sorry if it was ambiguous, but it’s more than bright enough for most people. 🙂

EsaT

In reviews monitors are calibrated from 120 to 150 nits (=cd / m²) level to reflect typical usage.
                                        Mod edit: not really a hard cut off of 150, we typically go for ~160 cd/m² and some Asian reviewers target 180 cd/m²

(might have seen once or twice also around 100 nits during last 15 years)

Higher brightnesses are needed only in very brightly illuminated surrounding…
                                        And for unnecessary waste of power for heating room more/if you just want to wear sun glasses.

MagicBeard

Thanks for the help, now I have enough arguments. I hope my questions and your answers will help other people in a similar situation.

PCM2

It appears that the EX2510S has an issue with significant sRGB under-coverage in the red region, which its predecessor didn’t suffer from (and neither does the XB253Q GP). That’s really unfortunate and for this reason I would certainly edge towards the Acer instead.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.