Any thought on MSI G251PF

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    denismolander

Any info on this? What panel in this monitor?

PCM2

The MSI G251PF has a 24.5″ panel with ‘108.7%’ sRGB specified (standard gamut with slight extension beyond), VESA DisplayHDR 400 capability and 400 nit peak luminance. Unlike most other manufacturers, MSI will happily specify the bit depth supported not just by the panel but also with any scaler dithering added, hence the ’10-bit’ there. The specifications match an AUO panel such as the M250HAN01.8 used in the BenQ EX2510S. Unlike the MSI, that’s a model I have received feedback on and would recommend considering. I’m also fond of the Acer XB253Q GP which uses a similar AUO panel and for those preferring more vibrant colour output and not minding a slight hit to pixel responsiveness the AOC 24G2SP(U) which uses a Panda panel.

denismolander

I have had this Benq ex2510s – very poor colors on it. But this MSI offers DCI-P3 range and 10bit color depth which ex2510s doesn’t have, so i wonder what panel they use.

PCM2

Could you be more specific about what you mean by “very poor colors”? That could be down to calibration or your expectation for colour vibrancy compared to the ‘rich and natural’ look that the monitor will provide. When properly set up or calibrated, at least. It does seem gamma calibration is quite variable on the EX2510S, so that could also be a factor. But a few important points regarding the MSI, because you seem to be expecting it to use some new fangled panel which it does not:

– 108.7% sRGB is not ‘DCI-P3’. Nowhere near – it’s ~83% DCI-P3 in fact. It is the same gamut provided by the EX2510S and XB253Q GP.

– It will be using an 8-bit panel, which is only brought up to 10-bit using scaler dithering. As I hinted at in my first post. To be clear, the XB253Q GP and EX2510S can also do this. It confers no benefits whatsoever to the vast majority of content (under SDR) which is 10-bit. Please refer to the post I linked to on this topic.

denismolander

I tried to calibrate it but it didn’t work for me colors i had was very off to me, especially red. Check the reviews on youtube ex2510s offers only 70% DCI-P3 or maybe even less, and SRGB not even 99%

PCM2

Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, BenQ might’ve messed something up there then. That sort of coverage should only be observed with sRGB emulation active. The original EX2510 (and EX2710, which I’ve reviewed) showed that sort of coverage with the ‘sRGB’ setting and otherwise used the full native gamut which is ~80% DCI-P3 or a bit higher (some inter-unit variation). Other reviews of the EX2510S have reliably measured ~80% DCI-P3 (example via PCMag), though there does indeed seem to be a big chunk of even sRGB missing in the red region. I’m not convinced the G251PF uses a different panel, though, I still think the AUO M250HAN01.8 is the most likely candidate. That doesn’t necessarily mean it would have the same red sRGB under-coverage issue as that could be due to the tuning of the BenQ specifically. Just be aware that MSI can certainly be overly generous with its gamut measurements.

denismolander

Honestly i gave up on looking for 24inch monitors. I think manufacturers forgot about this market segment and moved to 27 and higher variants. I haven’t seen any decent panels in 24inch monitors. So now i’m searching for 27in monitors like benq ex2780q or OMEN 27i seems like there are decent LG or Innolux panels.

ashslayer

Namaste Everyone,

My Pc specs – Intel i5 12400 + UHD 730 + 16gb Ram

Pc Main Usage –

1) Netflix,Amazon prime,Sony liv etc OTT video content playback

2) Watching High Bitrate + Remux + Blu ray Videos

So i need 1080p monitor with great picture quality.i searched a lot in this matter and finallty came down to this 2.
                    Msi service is worst in my country so cannot choose from Msi whereas AOC 24G2SP is not available in my country

I came to know Ex 2510s does not look good out of box but in SRGB MODEthis monitor look good similar to 2510

i didn’t find much about dell S2522HG. Do you think Dell S2522HG is better then ex2510s (SRGB mode)

Thanks

PCM2

Namaste ashslayer,

A key issue with the BenQ EX2510S is that the gamut does not fully cover sRGB, as explored in this thread (which I’ve merged yours with). There’s a large chunk missing in the red region, which causes reds to be severely undersaturated and some red shades to appear orange. (Almost?) invariably an sRGB emulation setting such as the ‘sRGB’ mode of a monitor will clamp the gamut further but will not extend it in any significant way past what it achieves natively (i.e. outside of the ‘sRGB’ mode). I’m not sure on the exact coverage the EX2510S achieves with its ‘sRGB’ setting. Let’s just assume it somehow achieves nearly full sRGB coverage, including extension beyond the native gamut in some regions (unlikely though that is). You’re still restricted when using the ‘sRGB’ setting because you can’t adjust the gamma setting or colour channels. This can be a particular problem if for example you notice a cool tint on your unit or a green tint, neither of which is uncommon.

The S2522HG would provide superior vibrancy to the EX2510S when using its native gamut, even assuming the EX2510S somehow achieves excellent sRGB coverage with its ‘sRGB’ setting. And you wouldn’t be locked out of the usual controls if you use the Dell’s native gamut, either. The Dell’s gamut doesn’t extend an extreme amount past sRGB (~89% DCI-P3 reliably measured) so it gives a bit of extra ‘pop’ and richness without making things look highly saturated or clearly unnatural. Most people would like this representation – it’s toned down compared to what you’d see on the 24G2SP(U) and what was described in that review, for example. Obviously if your uses included gaming I would tout the potential advantages of the 240Hz refresh rate over 165Hz – and actually, that can be a nice thing just on the desktop. But for viewing video content either model would be just fine and the frame rate of the content isn’t sufficient to take advantage of the triple digit refresh rates of either model.

ashslayer

Thanks a lot man

You are spot on with red looking orange.I talked to one of benq owner,he confirmed red shades do look orange lol

Also benq is locked at 250nits of brightness whereas Dell goes upto 349.so dell is way to go..Gonna get this coming week

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.