ASUS TUF VG249Q or AOC 24G2U

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Leon1403

Okay, thank you.

copex4

I’m edging towards Asus model over AOC, but I’m wondering about the new panel – is it the same one that they implement on AOC these days? Asus never had such an insanely good contrast like the panel on old AOC (1500:1). So is the new panel better then the old one that Asus used, mainly the difference in color quality? And can I know what panel is used looking at the numbers on the box, like you can know with AOC model? Thanks in advance.

PCM2

Hi there copex4,

As noted in my earlier post the ASUS VG249Q has switched over to being based around the BOE panel rather than the original Panda panel. And this is a trend I expect to see more broadly with other 23.8″ models that were originally based around the Panda panel. The AOC 24G2(U) based around the Panda panel was always a bit special when it came to contrast, outperforming others based around the same panel. As covered on the previous page, though, it’s actually a CELL that is used. There’s just one Panda CELL and one BOE Cell that all of these products are based around. Different manufacturers and their partners add their own backlight solution to this to create the panel.

It seems AOC’s solution was able to obtain a higher contrast (~1400:1 – 1500:1) than competing models based on the Panda panel, usually sitting closer to ~1200:1. Data I’ve seen from the AOC with BOE-based panel instead puts it ~1000:1 – 1100:1 for contrast. I expect the ASUS will be similar to this. In other words, the AOC has lost the contrast advantage it had with the original Panda panel. And if you’re comparing the original VG249Q (Panda-based) with the newer VG249Q (BOE-based) the difference in contrast isn’t so pronounced as when comparing the older to newer AOC. I don’t know how or even if it’s possible to identify the panel used on the ASUS based on information on the box or product label.

copex4

Thanks a lot for a thoughtful explanation. I guess Panda CELL really was a bang for the buck last year, kinda sad they started to replace them. I guess there’s a minor difference with the response rate, but I don’t think it justifies the loss of contrast (and possibly brightness?).

Clemix

Hi,

Just bought the VG249Q and have assessed a picture of the screen with a black background (brightness : 66/100), lights off.

For basic browsing purpose I’m fine with what I saw, but I still have to try it out on games with dark environment and so on to see how it goes.

PCM2

I don’t encourage users to post backlight uniformity pictures, that isn’t the purpose of this forum. It’s made clear in the forum rules that this isn’t a free technical support forum. The picture you posted was heavily overexposed and showed a lot of ‘IPS glow’ which would be entirely expected – it has been removed and your post edited. The AOC (V1) is always going to be stronger in terms of contrast because it has lower ‘IPS glow’ plus significantly higher static contrast. I know you’re trying to determine whether to swap the ASUS for another unit. But you need to consider backlight bleed in isolation in that case, so need to look at the screen some distance back and centrally to eliminate the glow. I’d appreciate any thoughts you have on other aspects such as colour reproduction and responsiveness when comparing the VG249Q and AOC 24G2(U). But try not to get too bogged down by how pure black appears in a dark room. 🙂

Clemix

My apologies, I should at least have asked before posting, or just have read the rules actually…

I will try to compare them as much as possible but sadly I can’t have them side by side as both of their deskspace is too small to have 2 monitors on it.
                  Also, the computer used with the AOC has no longer dedicated GPU. Instead, I’m using the integrated graphics from the CPU, which I guess won’t be powerful enough to play games that could let me compare the responsiveness aspect.

Thanks for taking the time with the impolite person that I am.

PCM2

Don’t worry about it – the forum is certainly different to most others and I know it can be tricky to understand all its intricacies. 😉 But user feedback is still an important part of the forum, especially for models like the VG249Q which I haven’t tested myself. Any general impressions you can share about the ASUS and how it compares to the AOC even from memory would be great. There’s no rush, though, sometimes these opinions take some time to form anyway. 🙂

CrazyC

Hello, how do i know if i have the new panel? just bought the ASUS TUF VG249Q and was wondering if i have the new panel? A friend of mine ordered 2 MSI G241 and he got eye strain problems from only one of them.. and the brightness and contrast difference was huge.. and i have seen a lot of people with exactly this issue with eye strain from the panda panel and dead pixels, so i hope i have the new panel! 🙂 I think that the eye strain problems and dead pixel issue is the reason they all change panel without notifying customers… just a hunch but i think its weird..

PCM2

I’m not sure how you’d check with the VG249Q I’m afraid, The Panda panel could certainly have had some issues. Pixel defects I’d say were average to slightly above average, it’s really too early to draw any comparisons with the new BOE panel in that respect as well. Uniformity seemed to be a fairly common complaint (perhaps above average) for the 24G2(U) with Panda panel as well. My review sample was a bit funky in that regard.

PCM2

Important:

The AOC 24G2(U) and related models from AOC have now switched back to using the Panda-based panel but this doesn’t apply to other manufacturers. Further details in this post. Based on my communication with AOC the reason for the switch was more for supply reasons than anything being specifically ‘wrong’ with the Panda-based panel. On the contrary, there was a dissatisfaction amongst users that some of the key characteristics surrounding contrast had changed so much with the switch. Given the relative strength of the AOC in that area beforehand, the switch disproportionately affected that model.

KingCrazyC

Hello, does the Asus Vg249q have the same panel as the Vg249q1A? tried Rtings rgb settingS for the Vg249q1A and it helped a lot with the red color on white pages 🙂 so just wondering 🙂

PCM2

That isn’t something that would entirely depend on panel as even individual units of the same model can vary in that respect. But glad the settings worked, either way. Newer revisions of the VG249Q and all VG249Q1As use a BOE-based panel (TPM238WF1-FHBNG0).

ArchDevil

I am looking for a budget 1080p 144Hz Monitor to connect my 1660 Ti Mobile to an external screen and I’ve come across the Asus VG249Q and AOC 24G2U/BK.

I’ve heard both of them are decent for the price but with all the panel changes they made I’m already confused which one using what panel and which one is better overall.
                                The AOC is about 15% more expensive here than the Asus but it’s not a big deal for me.
                                There is also Asus VG259Q as the same price as the AOC but i heard it have issues with blurry text and some other issues.

What i am looking for is hopefully for a G-Sync and Freesync compatible monitor and i plan to connect PS5 and Nintendo Switch time to time to the monitor.
                                Would be glad to get any recommendations about these two as they made changes to these two models in the past years so I’m confused.
                                Huge thanks 🙂

PCM2

ArchDevil,

I’ve merged your thread with an existing one covering this exact comparison. If you’d used the search facility as advised in the forum rules and searched for the ASUS this would’ve come up straight away. I appreciate the 24G2(U) switching panel then switching back again is confusing, but the main points raised in this thread still apply. The AOC is the better option in my view, particularly with the Panda panel that offers increased contrast over the ASUS to go with more vibrant colour output (stronger saturation). If you prefer ‘rich and natural’ colours without the extra saturation, that’s where the VG249Q could make more sense.

Primal_v2

So, I just received my second VG249Q tonight. I noticed the color temperature and viewing angles are very different than the one I purchased previously. The new VG249Q was manufactured in August 2021 and my existing VG249Q was manufactured in January 2021. It seems the monitor manufactured in August 2021 has significantly narrower viewing angles, and seems to have a much cooler tint. Based on that feedback, would you be able to tell me which panel is which? I now need to go back to the drawing board for a dual-monitor setup, as I didn’t realize the panel had been updated and now I have two panels side-by-side with different characteristics, which is quite annoying for me.

Thank you for your input!

PCM2

It’s not unusual for different units of the same model to have quite different colour temperature and overall channel balance even if the same panel is used. You should be able to get a closer match with appropriate adjustment in the OSD (a colorimeter makes this much easier). But different panels being used with different backlights can provide more pronounced differences. The viewing angle differences certainly point to that and I believe the Panda panel is weaker in that respect. I haven’t used a model with the BOE alternative, though, so I’m not entirely sure. It seems ASUS uses both panels interchangeably on the VG249Q and I see both listed actively by one of their key parts suppliers.

It may be possible to access the service menu to check. Manufacturers don’t like me to encourage people to do this or share with them how to do it, but it seems this is widely shared elsewhere for the VG series anyway. So I’ll simply copy the below for some older VG series models from another resource, which may work.

1. Power On
                                      2. Hold Menu – keep held and never let go
                                      3. Unplug power lead
                                      4. Re-insert power lead (2 seconds is long enough to wait)
                                      5. Wait until Input selection message has finished displaying
                                      6. Release Menu

Hopelessnpco

I’ve seen many complaints about the asus vg249q1a having inaccurate yellows and the rtings review confirms that even after calibration. (does that mean the problem is with the panel?) But the vg249q doesn’t have that problem, Techless made a review of it with the new FHBNG0 panel confirmed in a comment. So I don’t think they have the same panel.

PCM2

It could be, it affects both the VG249Q1A and VG249Q1R. It was odd that it wasn’t correctable by calibration on the RTINGS review without upsetting balance elsewhere.

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.