32 inch for DCI P3 and RGB work with good text clarity

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    jens

Hi,
      thanks for taking the effort to discuss here with your readers!
      I have dual usage for an upcoming monitor purchase: 1) Text, medical images (grey scale), graphs and 2) I edit on the side videos for my partner and make promotional print and web material for his concerts. Sure, an Eizo CG series or the new NEC in the range of 4000 quid would check all boxes but I think I have plenty of room to compromise. My wish list:

– Size (27-)32 inches
      – Pixel density above 130 ppi (so preferably ultra HD), love not to have to zoom in more than 66% in photoshop etc. to reduce bit rendering and added clarity.
      – Can be profiled very well to sRGB with an i1Display pro and/or has an emulation mode with brightness adjustment that can be calibrated.
      – Preferably extended gamut in direction of DCI P3. For making stuff look pleasant on Apple devices
      – Have headway in editing in color managed software (anyway, on the Mac)
      – Use the considerable P3 overlap with printing color spaces
      – Alternatively Adobe RGB as the classic option to fulfill these requirements
      – A decent chance in the uniformity and backlight lottery
      – Good grey and gamma tracking for working in different lighting conditions 100-250 nits
      – Coating and subpixel layout pleasant for text
      – Contrast as high as possible. 600:1 is unbearable to me, 1000:1 just ok, best 1300:1
      – Nice to have would be an internal LUT of >= 10 bit.
      – Nice to have: a USB-C DP alternate connection to connect Macbook.
      – A price that is well enough below a new iMac which would actually tick a lot of these boxes with a computer attached 😉
      – Not interested in HDR per se

I have tried the LG UL850 which checked many boxes, even hardware calibration. The latter turned out to be an internal 8 bit LUT with bad calibration results. It could be profiled just perfectly though per ICC, though. Uniformity was great for the price. It was probably a BOE panel to avoid the red corner issue. Problem was, 6 hours of continuous use and the monitor’s color temperature had drifted towards 4000K from 6500K of the initial calibration. That, unfortunately, was reproducible the next day. Meanwhile contrast went from 900:1 to 450:1 even after readjusting white point. It got me thinking about 32 inches, though, with native 4k.

My ideas, so far:

– EIZO EV3285: Seems like a quality product but very strictly sRGB. Also I am a little confused by some tests. Is calibrated RGB really excellent (which it should be given the price and restricted gamut)? Contrast 1:1300 and usable paper mode = nice. Upper price limit with 1200 EUR and I’d give up the extended gamut for hopefully set it and forget it quality.

– LG 32UM/UD99 is no longer available (amazon EU stores) but looked promising. I like that the LM315WR1-SSB1 can reach high contrast with DCI P3 coverage. Apparently big uniformity issues though.

– BenQ PD3220U seems to use LM315WR1-SSB1, as well. Same uniformity issues? Then price maybe too high for such issues? Why lower contrast?

– Acer PE320QK is the cheapest monitor with the same panel (like 400 EUR cheaper than BenQ on cheapest Amazon EU store). Very negative reviews with actual defects and periodic flickering.

– VP3268-4K seems again to cross many boxes with again bad reviews. Also conflicting info about how much of AdobeRGB is covered. Goes on sale often and good price and hardware calibration. Older LM315WR1-SSA1 (maybe like Dell u3219q?)

– LG 32UN880 and LG 32UN650 look promising on paper but I am afraid that contrast is really low on the new Nano IPS panels.

– MSI PS321URV (1000 EUR) and AOC U32U1 (800-900 EUR) also look great on paper but the first is set to appear only next or so month and AOC hasn’t been reviewed. Do you have any info which panel they use, so as to gauge them? Actually, AOC U32U1 would look almost too good to be true with high P3 and 100% Adobe RGB (mistake?) and high contrast. I don’t get how this would be in a “design” stand monitor with abysmal looking cable management, without VESA etc. (so not so “pro”, at all). MSI also seems newer to wide gamut IPS “creator”.

I realize, this is long. If you could help me on any of those points, I’d be happy to buy through an amazon affiliate link through an EU (mostly amazon.de or .uk is cheapest) store. (Amazon.co.uk if deliverable with power suitable for using a separately bough EU/Swiss power chord though)

I am still learning about color workflows. If I got your recommended 32 inch Benq and run it with an icc profiled for RGB and one for its native gamut, would I be able to correctly view RGB in say Photoshop as working/output space and switching back to calibrated native gamut have the covered P3 for say Premiere? Is there any compromise you suggest or recommendation you have?

PCM2

Hi jens and welcome,

I often like to merge threads together to avoid potential overlap. I had this thread and this thread in mind as potential candidates. However; you’ve been so thorough with your initial post and very specific about what you’re looking for, so I feel this deserves its own thread instead. I think you’ve made a very good case for ~32″ ‘4K’ UHD and I agree that it’s a very nice and indeed very practical screen size and resolution combination. It seems you’ve done a lot of good research on these models already and I don’t have a whole lot I can add, simply due to lack of experience or detailed user feedback on some of the models you’ve highlighted. I do have some general impressions based on the panels used and you’re absolutely correct to focus on that aspect to try and get some ideas of general characteristics and to set expectations. Some thoughts:

– The LG panels tend to be more prone to uniformity issues than the AUO AHVA panels which are less commonly used. There are no guarantees in either case, but it seems that complaints about poor uniformity are quite common on models which use the LG panels you’ve highlighted.

– The specified static contrast for the LG models is a bit ambitious as an ‘after calibration’ target. Usually it drops to ~1100 – 1200:1 following calibration. This isn’t bad and slightly stronger than your ‘average’ IPS panel. But it’s hardly a huge difference from one that’s ~1000:1. Especially when you factor in actual perceived contrast following ‘IPS glow’ and likely dark uniformity issues that can exacerbate that.

– I’ve also had users complain of static interlace pattern artifacts on some of the models with LG panels, including the 32UD99. Not sure if it’s a universal issue or just some dodgy units that have this, but it’s more than one person who has fed this back to me. It’s not something everyone would notice either way, which is why it’s tricky to work out whether it affects all units or whether it’s fairly isolated.

– The BenQ PD3220U uses the LG LM315WR1-SSB1 (reference). The contrast is lower simply due to the level of calibration applied, if you measure it with everything in the ‘neutral’ position it should be closer to the ‘expected’ 1300:1 for the panel. As noted in that Twitter thread, the red corner issue can also apply to these 31.5″ LG panels, at least some of them!

– Hardware calibration with a programmable 3D LUT can be a nice touch, but I don’t see this as essential if you have a colour-managed workflow. As you do if you’re using Adobe Suite programs. Most of these models should work nicely with regular software-based profiling.

– sRGB emulation settings aren’t something you’d need to rely on in a colour-managed workflow. You can profile the monitor using its native gamut and this gamut information is then tied to the ICC profile you create. You’d then be free to edit in sRGB if you like and select that as your workspace in the program, or DCI-P3 as your target if you want to use more of the gamut. Colour-aware applications such as Adobe Suite programs can read that gamut information embedded in the profile and will make appropriate corrections based on the colour space you want to work within. This is my understanding of it, anyway, I don’t actually have a tightly colour-managed workflow myself so it’s not really an area I have much practical experience in.

– I agree that the recent Nano IPS models are a bit of an unknown and that some other recent Nano IPS models have been quite a bit weaker than promised in terms of contrast. But that may just apply to the 27″ WQHD models rather than being a more general observation. The 34GN850, for example, offers contrast that’s largely in-line with expectation and specification. Some early feedback on the 27GN950 suggests it’s decent as well, but that still remains to be seen. As does how the 32UN880 and 32UN650 would fit into this.

– The AOC U32U1 is mainly interesting due to its design and VESA DisplayHDR 600 support. However; it has been available in some Asian countries for a while now so I have seen some feedback on it. And it doesn’t seem too promising from a uniformity perspective, perhaps in part because of the backlight arrangement trying to fit in edge-based local dimming in a slender package. The panel family is the LG Display LM315WR2 with this one, which are Nano IPS parts with KSF phosphors. It does offer 98% DCI-P3 and the 100% Adobe RGB specified is likely achieved as well.

So given all of this, I tend to prefer models using the 32″ AUO panel over the 31.5″ LG panels. As I mentioned above, there are no guarantees when it comes to uniformity and I know this is something you’ll be aware of from your own research. But it seems with these comparisons the AUO panels tend to fare better. Given that it uses such a panel and it’s a capable all-round performer with emphasis on colour performance, I’d still mainly recommend the BenQ EW3280U for your purposes and with your preferred budget range in mind. A slight preference of mine towards the panel used there also stems from the fact the screen surface is slightly less grainy. At least compared to some of the LG panels I’ve seen (they may differ slightly in that regard). The haze value is perhaps slightly lower as well, but it’s tricky to assess given that I’ve only used models with the LG panels quite briefly in fairly dim lighting conditions. I appreciate you wanting to support the website. The EW3280U if ordered from Amazon UK should come with a UK power adaptor (straight AC ‘kettle lead’ with 3 pins). A basic UK to Switzerland power adaptor should work just fine for this for plugging into your mains electricity, Amazon also sells these.

jens

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and extensive remarks!

I agree with your recommendation; it is a really good price for a monitor that can be well calibrated, has good white point and grey, gamma tracking out of the box so that icc profiles don’t have to mess too much to correct. Excellent sRGB and some DCI-P3. It was really helpful to have your more qualitative judgement on top of spec testing.
          I ran a few icc-profiles including yours (and thanks again) on the iccviewer website to check for softproof capabilities. ISO coated v2/FOGRA 51/39 are missed mainly in the cyan/green section which is to be expected given the gamut specification and a bit of yellow which is maybe more surprising. The LG UL850 actually covered not so much less of the FOGRA 51. But if I wanted to have a professional setup, I simply would have to spend significantly more. In short: The EW3280 is high up on the list and a great recommendation (which, of course, doesn’t come as a surprise given your experience).

As you did invest so much in answering my questions, I’d like to contribute my notes here in case they are useful to anybody. I compiled a list of monitors either 4k (or very few wqhd). Also I couldn’t find a comprehensive list of Adobe RGB capable consumer monitors. So, I compiled one that is highly biased because I restricted my budget to 1,000 EUR. It is there, where I found two/three very interesting monitors in unexpected places:

1) BenQ PD3420 which is specified as 98% DCI P3 and probably well over 90% Adobe RGB. BenQ seems to be doing a great job with reasonable factory defaults according not least to your reviews. Interestingly, the price is probably going to be about 700-800 EUR (I’ve seen first listings in Germany and Switzerland disregarding the RRP which is a bit higher). It’s not out yet, as far as I saw, but two Swiss dealers have it listed to be deliverable within the next two weeks.

2) I’ve come across Lenovo’s horrific website. Cannot manage to set filters. But: Thinkvision P32U just has phenomenal specs and the one review I found measured almost as promised 95% P3 (98% according to Lenovo) and 100% Adobe RGB with very good calibration results. Scarce user online opinions where exultant. I haven’t come across a single panel with those specifications. It’s a 2020 model, so maybe really a newer panel? P32U has an abundance of expensive ports including 2 Thunderbolt 3. The price with confusing sales is at the moment around 900 Swiss Francs (ca. 750 £). If it has no severe issues this is an unbeatable price in my view.

3) Another Lenovo Thinkvision, P27U, also Adobe RGB had a horrible test at a well known Belgian site. I wonder how that is possible. I think, for budget considerations I might have gone for that monitor otherwise (525 CHF or 440 £) with the BenQ PD2720U being the next cheapest Adobe RGB UHD at ca 1000 CHF (then I had gone for EW3280 or waited for PD3420).

If you have any clues about the Lenovo models, I’d be again very thankful.

If it isn’t against your forum’s intention, I’d like to share my notes on models and panels (or panel guesses, I have no way of validation). I’ll leave out color specs and FOGRA validation where it was possible. I anyways assume most readers are less interested in that given the lack of performance in gaming of these monitors. Whatever I buy, I make sure to use your amazon links as gateway for the monitor or other products. You have definitely helped me. Thanks again.

27“ range:
          BenQ PD2720U = LG Display LM270WR4-SSA1
          BenQ SW271 = LG Display LM270WR4-SSA1
          ViewSonic VP2785-4k = LG Display LM270WR4-SSA1
          EIZO EV2785 = LG Display LM270WR3-SSA1?
          HP Z27 = LG Display LM270WR3-SSA1
          Dell UP2718Q = LG Display LM270WR6-SPA1
          NEC EA271Q = Samsung LTM270DL08
          NEC EA271U = LG Display LM270WR3-SSA1?
          LG 27UD69/UK650/UL600 = LG Display LM270WR3-SSA1
          LG 27UL650/850 = LG Display LM270WR3-SSB1/SSA1? or BOE MV270QUM-N20/N30
          Acer CM3271K = AUO M270QAN02.7 (5?)

32″ range:
          LG 32UN880 and LG 32UN650 = BOE MV315QUM-N20 or similar
          LG 32UL950 = LG Display LM315WR2-SSA1
          LG 32UD99 = LG Display LM315WR1-SSB1 *not available
          ViewSonic VP3268 = LM315WR1-SSA1
          Philips Brilliance 329P9H = LG Display LM315WR1-SSA1
          HP Z32 = LG Display LM315WR1-SSB1
          Dell U3219Q = LG Display LM315WR1-SSB2 (mod edit: 200Hz flicker per RTINGs – not pure PWM, much gentler brightness fluctuation)
          Acer ProDes. PE320QK = LG Display LM315WR1-SSB1
          Acer ProDes. BM320 = M320QAN01.2
          Asus PA328Q = AUO M320Q001.V0
          Asus PA329Q = AUO M320QAN01.0
          Asus PA329C = AUO M320QAN02.1?
          Asus PA32UC = AUO M320QAN01.3
          Acer Pred. XB321HK = AUO M320Q001.0
          Acer B326HK = AUO M320QAN01.0
          BenQ PD3200U = AUO M320Q001.0
          BenQ PD3220U = LG Display LM315WR1-SSB1
          BenQ EW3280U = AUO M320QAN02.1
          BenQ SW321C = AUO M320QAN01.5
          Eizo EV3285 = LG Display LM315WR1-SSA1

34” range:
          LG 34GK950F = LG Display LM340UW5-SSA1
          Dell AW3420DW = LG DisplayLM340UW5-SSA1
          LG 34GN850 = LG Display LM340UW5-SSB1
          BenQ PD3420Q = LG Nano IPS, flat
          LG 34WK95U = LG Display LM340RW1-SSA1

all AdobeRGB < 1000€, UHD/QHD, I could find:
          SW2700PT = AUO M270DAN02.1
          BenQ SW270C = AUO M270DAN02.1
          BenQ PD2720U = LG Display LM270WR4-SSA1
          BenQ SW271 = LG Display LM270WR4-SSA1
          ViewSonic VP2785-4k = LG Display LM270WR4-SSA1
          ViewSonic VP2785-2k = LG Display panel
          BenQ PD3420Q = LG Nano IPS, flat
          EIZO CS2740 Swiss ed. Panasonic (only with rebates 1000 EUR)
          EIZO CS2731
          Dell UP3216Q = Sharp IGZO LQ315D1JG03 (flicker)
          Lenovo ThinkVision P27u = LG LM270WR4-SSA1?
          Lenovo ThinkVision P32u = AUO M320QAN01.2?

PCM2

The panel list is very much in the spirit of this forum. It’s important to raise awareness of the panels used given the key characteristics it gives to these monitors. It’s particularly important for setting expectations and allowing people to get a flavour for models that aren’t covered based on the the panel used, which may be shared with models that are covered in more detail. I added in panel manufacturers just for reference, so it’s easier for people who aren’t familiar with panel designations to see at a glance. The Lenovo ThinkVision P32U uses the AUO M320QAN01.2 from what I understand. As for the P27U, it seems to use the LG LM270WR4-SSA1. This is based on findings on various Asian forums from sources that are usually very reliable at panel identification. I wonder if the review site that reported a much lower colour gamut had an emulation setting of some sort applied and didn’t realise? The panel should certainly offer excellent Adobe RGB coverage.

I’ve had a bit of fun with the ICCView website myself. I loaded in the ICC profile from our EW3280U review and compared to ISOcoated_v2_eci.icc (as provided on the website) and I don’t see significant undercoverage of yellows there, just a sliver and quite some overcoverage for some yellows. The undercoverage is so slight (below) that it’s unlikely to cause any issue at all in practice. It was so flat against the measured gamut that the wireframe wasn’t really visible from most angles, meaning it’s very slight undercoverage. It’s possible a few re-calibration runs would get rid of that as well, I’m not sure exactly how accurately it can be determined based on the readings provided by a colorimeter rather than spectrophotometer. I’ve called the BenQ’s profile ‘PCM.icc’ in the image below just as I had uploaded the standard EW3280U profile provided by BenQ for comparison as well and needed to distinguish them.

EW3280U gamut 1

EW3280U gamut 2

xellos

Hi there,

trying to understand which monitor to buy to connect with a Dell XPS 9700 (that has a 4K Ultra HD+ monitor).

I’m a graphic design, I work both with web and (not always) with paper (magazines, flyers etc…).
              I was trying to understand what kind of monitor is more suitable for me, spending approx 1200 eur (~1400 $,) I would really love to buy a 32 inch IPS 4k possibly Type C, something with a 100% sRGB and (where possible) a ~100% Adobe RGB coverage. I know it’s kinda difficult and till now I’ve found just little options like:

BenQ EW3280U
              – MSI Creator PS321URV
              – BenQ PD3220U
              (PD3200u is also an option, but I would prefer the type C connection, but if the panel is the same, I won’t spend the extra money)
              – LG 34WK95U (little bit bigger and UW, but sounds ok)
              – Viewsonic VP3268-4K (can’t find a good review)
              – Acer Predator X34 (so I can even play? :D)
              – Others?

I do really appreciate any help, it’s all new for me and trying to find a correct middle ground seems impossible.
              Ps. I’ve got a x-rite i1 for monitor calibration, so I can calibrate it 🙂

Thanks!
              Ps. sorry for any mistakes, I’m not mother-tongue 😀

PCM2

Hi xellos,

I’ve moved your post over to here as it’s a suitable place and most of the ‘4K’ models you’ve mentioned are covered here already. The ViewSonic VP3268-4K isn’t really discussed in much depth here, but it does get a passing mention. I’d recommend making use of the forum search facility in the footer as it’s certainly discussed in some other threads. Whilst it doesn’t offer complete or near-complete Adobe RGB coverage (neither do most of the other models you mentioned, though) the BenQ EW3280U is my very clear recommendation in this thread, other similar threads on the forum and the site more broadly.

The Acer X34 seems rather misplaced here as it only offers a looser pixel density and ~sRGB colour gamut with just a little extension beyond. If you’re drawn to the idea of gaming on the monitor as well then you should consider some of the newer Nano IPS UltraWides instead – plenty of discussion on those ones elsewhere on the forum. But they’d offer you good DCI-P3 coverage and much better Adobe RGB coverage than the X34.

xellos

Hi PCM2,
                  thank a lot for your help!
                  So, I’ve read your considerations and I’m divided between 34GN850 and EW3280U (googling around I read that the first has a ~86% aRGB and the latter ~85% aRGB). I don’t really need a gaming monitor, I don’t play a lot, I do prefer something with a good (still not perfect) aRGB coverage. I saw you had completely discarded the PD3220U that, as far as I can see from Benq website, is considered to be a creator monitor. Is the EW3280U better?

If you think that other models around 32/34 inches (wide or not) could fit better my needs (Adobe suite, web an printed design) I would really appreciate to listen your opinion.

PCM2

As I mention earlier in this thread, I have my reasons for preferring the AUO panel used in the EW3280U over the LG panel used in the PD3220U and quite a few other models. Refer to my first post if you need more details.

It would be up to you whether you prefer the wider screen format and lower pixel density of a 3440 x 1440 UltraWide like the LG 34GN850 or the taller and more pixel dense 32″ UHD experience. Remember that a 34″ UltraWide of this sort is a similar height to a 27″ 16:9 monitor and you get 1440 rows of pixels. With a 32″ UHD model you have significant extra height and 2160 rows of pixels. Horizontally, your 34″ UltraWide would give you more width but fewer pixels (3440 vs. 3840). This page is useful for visualising the physical size differences, but pixel density is a personal choice – in my view the higher pixel density is more useful for your needs than an increase in horizontal space.

P.S. Not that it makes much difference, but I measured 86% Adobe RGB coverage on the EW3280U and 96% DCI-P3, so slightly above specified.

Pauline

Hi,

First of all, I want to thank you for the extensive reviews and thorough descriptions, they really help to make an informed choice. I have read your website thoroughly.

I’m looking for a monitor for two uses: programming, so I need good text clarity, and photo editing (possibly video editing later) as a hobby in sRGB. I don’t have a colorimeter at the moment.

One of the most important aspects of a monitor for me besides the full sRGB coverage, is a very light matte screen surface that’s not grainy and has low haze. I also prefer 32” 4K.

So based on what I’ve read on this website, I have bought the Benq EW3280U.
                      I wanted to give some feedback as I thought this could be useful to others.

First of all, I want to make clear that I don’t expect a perfect monitor, but it should be good enough to use it for long and long term. I know that I can expect a bit of light bleed, clouding and IPS glow, but if it’s a little it doesn’t bother me.

The screen surface of the Benq EW3280u is the best I have seen yet in current monitors. It’s better than my my old Samsung S27A850D, which already had quite a smooth surface.
                      I tried the Philips 328E1CA but I didn’t like the screen surface at all, too grainy for me.
                      The colours of the BenQ EW3280U are very good as well, even when only adapting the settings according to your specifications in the review.
                      I know about IPS glow and I don’t mind as I’m always working in a room with enough light and don’t watch movies on it.
                      Unfortunately, I seem to have real bad luck finding a good sample.

The first EW3280U I received had bad backlight bleed, covering the lower left corner and a big part of the top right corner. It also had uniformity issues. When viewing a white screen, the whole right part of the screen was yellowish instead of white, which showed up in all colours. A light blue picture on the left side of the screen would have a beige tinge to it on the right side, for example.

So, I returned it and got a second one.
                      This one had an almost perfect screen, no yellowing, no clouding or backlight bleed, just very heavy IPS glow (more than the previous one) bit doable. Sadly, it came with defect speakers. So, again a return.

The third one seemed more or less OK, no backlight bleed or clouding, just normal IPS glow, a bit of a screen uniformity issue on the right side in the top right corner of the screen, where the screen was a bit more yellow. But it was very light. And the front plastic of the speakers didn’t sit flush with the screen (lots of space between the screen and the speakers) and I could push the speaker bar in. Unfortunately, there seemed to be a scratch and/or hair on the inside, behind the glass in only one place. I first thought I had a scratch on the screen surface as it looked like 2 very fine irregular lines. But when I inspected it, the surface was perfectly smooth. It was in the screen. When I moved a few windows around, the 2 lines stayed where they were and appeared on top of the window that was in that place.

So, I guess I don’t have much luck with the quality control of the BenQ EW3280U.

Would the BenQ PD3220U be a good alternative? I know you recommend the EW3280U over the first one, but I don’t know if I want to try again. Or do you know of another 32″4K monitor with similar specs, especially concerning the screen surface and colours?

Thank you for your help.

PCM2

Hi Pauline,

I appreciate the kind words and I’m sorry you had issues with 3 consecutive EW3280Us. Unfortunately this is a sad reflection of the monitor market more broadly and could have applied to many models really. Issues with uniformity, internal wiring (speaker wires disconnecting) and housing issues can all be caused by rough treatment of the monitor in warehouses and during transport. The manufacturers are now under increased pressure to decrease the amount of packaging they use for monitors (and everything else for that matter) and with how hectic and rushed modern logistics are accidents do happen. Modern bezel and monitor designs are generally less robust as well, you could argue the EW3280U is more prone to such issues because the stand is relatively unsubstantial. And if I recall correctly, the EW3280U has a relatively slimline box design which doesn’t offer much protection either!

Regardless of this, I totally understand you wanting to avoid that model. And as identified in this thread I feel the PD3220U could be worth trying. I haven’t sat down and reviewed that model, but I have used it at a few events in the past. And I don’t recall being annoyed by the screen surface in terms of graininess, which is a good sign. But I wasn’t in control of the lighting or even the content being displayed and my use of the monitor was very brief. So it wasn’t ideal for assessing such things. The colour reproduction and other aspects I’m sure you’d get on with as well, it’s excellent in that respect. I’d also like to think the monitor is more robust in general and that would, if nothing else, require more substantial packaging to be used! Which might help reduce the chance of some of these issues occurring.

I have to say I’m intrigued by your comment that one of your EW3280Us had no backlight bleed or clouding but did have “heavy IPS glow”. Assuming the same panel is used (I have no evidence it wouldn’t be) in all cases, and the brightness was the same, ‘IPS glow’ in isolation shouldn’t change. It can be brought out more strongly by clouding, backlight bleed and other dark uniformity issues. There can be exceptions I suppose, related to some quality control issue on AU Optronics end when they manufacture or assemble the panel or some variance in the backlight units. How did you assess ‘IPS glow’ in isolation whilst taking other uniformity issues out of the equation? I assume you moved backwards whilst keeping as centrally as possible so you’d see everything but the ‘IPS glow’ remain?

uncia

I’ve gone through quite a journey trying to find a monitor with similar capabilities. I recently saw that LG announced new models at CES, which we might have to wait a while for. Yet they look promising. The upcoming 32-inch 4K OLED monitor has me dreaming. It’s going to cost more than most people want to pay though. But for P3 coverage and perfect contrast with pure blacks, it’s going to be a dream for photographers and graphic designers. I’d say $1500 wouldn’t really be excessive for that kind of model. I also don’t notice slower refresh rates with OLED like I do conventional LCD. Pixels respond so quickly that 60Hz on an OLED screen feels as smooth as say 120Hz on IPS. This is subjective, I realize.

I’m only bringing this up since the poster has had issues with IPS options. If getting rid of nagging things like BLB and IPS glow are important, and colour work is also a factor, it might be worth waiting for? I know everyone fears burn-in, but it’s something I think LG has been working hard at mitigating. I haven’t had issues with major burn-in on my smartphones, and one I had for many, many years. Even now at 7-years-old, it has only the slightest of burn in where static images like the navigation menu is.

Adam, I wasn’t sure where to bring up this specific LG monitor. I saw this thread and thought it might be a good fit. There’s also going to be a 42-inch OLED TV similar to the 48-inch that came out last year. These are going to be popular no doubt. Everyone has been begging for smaller OLED screens. For how important a display is to many of us, the high premium won’t be too off-putting. I realize you can get a huge TV for the same price, but for many of us our monitor is what we spend the most time each day looking at. I’m excited for this, even if it’s probably months if not a year from being available. Have you heard anything from LG?

PCM2

I haven’t heard anything further from LG on either the 32″ OLED monitor (32EP950) or 42″ OLED TV. As you’ll be aware their PR team is next to useless here in the UK so it’s unlikely I’ll test these products myself unless I purchase them. Regardless of its pixel responsiveness, a 60Hz (sample and hold) monitor can never replicate the performance of a good 120Hz monitor. It doesn’t matter how fast pixel responses are, it’s outputting half is much visual information every second. The perceived blur due to eye movement is double and the ‘connected feel’ simply isn’t anywhere near as good. I use a 60Hz OLED myself frequently (laptop) and I’m afraid the 60Hz refresh rate is a definite barrier to visual fluidity. Not a problem for everyone, of course, and having the screen make full use of the 60Hz refresh rate in a ‘clean’ way can be just the sort of experience some are after. Without any overshoot or trailing from pixel response weaknesses whatsoever.

I suspect $1500 will end up being too optimistic for the price of the 32EP950, but we’ll have to see. I personally wouldn’t be surprised to see it around twice that given that it uses a low production rate professional panel from JOLED. The Dell UP3017Q was hamstrung by high price and panel availability issues and I think the LG will remain a niche product for the same reasons. I hope this doesn’t just end up being a technical showcase and does gain some actual consumer interest and traction, not least because I’d like to see other manufacturers using this and similar panels in the future!

uncia

I oversimplify the refresh rate and pixel responsiveness, I know. I’d just find it preferable to have a 60Hz OLED to a 144Hz LCD at this point. The contrast and blacks would make it worthwhile. Though I know I like a fast refresh rate.

It’s too bad LG doesn’t work with you. I’m really curious about this upcoming models. I was hopeful about the pricing, too. The 48-inch OLED TV goes for $1500. I suppose being too optimistic isn’t good, but it’s something to look forward to. If only the monitor market advanced like the TV market does. We’d not still be waiting for OLED options.

Jusisan

Hi all,

A big thank you for the detailed and professional answers and conversation in this thread. I wanted to share my input on the topic, as I’ve been hunting for a 32″ screen for my use: I need to both for professional and personal use, but gaming characteristics were not high on my list.

I ended up getting the BenQ PD2720U, which was great but slightly too small for my use. I would have wanted to get the BenQ PD3220U, but as it was out of stock I needed to find a different solution. The store had the Lenovo Thinkvision P32U-10, which is mentioned in one of the posts above. And that was what I ended up getting, I’m using it right now while typing this.

As the BenQ 27″ and 32″ are similar in specs but size, I’m obviously comparing the Lenovo P32U to them. The more I use this, the more I love it: it’s got really good uniformity across the entire panel, no colour bleed that I can notice and DPI/PPI is good. I calibrated both the BenQ and this one with SpyderX, and with Lightroom Classic things look good. The Lenovo is connected to a (M1) Mac Mini and (Intel) MacBook Air: I’ve a single keyboard and mouse shared across them, and switch sources on the fly.

Visually the BenQ seemed a bit more deep in terms of colour (I do love Display P3), but the Lenovo has been created with AdobeRGB in mind. As much of my personal use is in Lightroom Classic, this seems like a good solution for me and I do think I’ll keep the Lenovo. Also, with the BenQ my M1 Mac had real troubles with mouse lag: with this Lenovo they’re gone (USB 3.0 vs USB 3.1 issue, that).

Where the BenQ wins hands down is ergonomics and usability. The Lenovo is horrible in that sense, but as I only need to touch two buttons daily (power and source) I don’t mind.

I hope this helps someone considering the same. Just wanted to give a shout out for the Lenovo, that it’s a really good screen once you’ve set it up.

PCM2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Lenovo P32U-10 (and BenQ PD2720U), Jusisan. I’m glad the Lenovo is working out for you and you’re enjoying the 32″ screen size as well. 🙂

Pauline

Thanks for your reply.

Concerning the IPS glow of the EW3280U, I did exactly what you said (moved backwards whilst keeping as centrally as possible so you’d see everything but the ‘IPS glow’ remain), it seemed heavier, but I didn’t really inspect it any further as I’m not really that concerned about it.

Anyway, in the mean time I bought a Philips 278E1A 27″ 4K. I’ll put some user feedback about it in the relevant thread, but I’m happy with it.

jens

I’ve been meaning to give feedback after I’ve bought the your recommended 32″, the Benq EW3280U, for ca. 520 EUR excl. VAT from amazon.de (hopefully through your affiliate link;). I’ve been using it for a little over half a year and been very content. I used i1 display pro for calibrations.

Really good:
                                      – at 120cd/m2, gamma2.2, and 5000K (suitable for print comparison…or 5500K depending on your light source) I got 93% Adobe RGB coverage. That is better than any other temperature (at 6500K/180nits for video editing I get 86% AdobeRGB but 97% DCI P3). Always >99.xx% sRGB coverage. White point can be well calibrated with small deltas in comparison to daylight curve (dE 2000 < 1)
                                      – dE 76 avg. is 0.58 for 6500K and around 0.85 for 6500K. dE 2000 are also average way less than 1 (not handy, don’t use them).

Only acceptable to me and possible dealbreaker for others:
                                      – IPS glow is rather pronounced and there is moderate backlight bleeding. Uniformity is my biggest critique.
                                      – Associated with that: only average uniformity (avg. -20 nits, max -48 nits) with still good contrast deviations (ca. 1.5%). But that can still amount to an deltaE of 5 at the far edges…which one generally shouldn’t use for color critical comparisons. If you need a monitor that comes close to ISO 14861, you probably have to invest considerably more money (11/25 fields did not pass nominal tolerances) but acceptable to lesser standards.
                                      – in HDR mode the monitor seems to develop an emotional life of its own, down- and upregulating brightness in mysterious moods. If you use it to watch movies as intended in fullscreen, not showing highly contrasting areas on the screen, it’s a nice addition.

Matters of taste:
                                      – I really miss the usb hub function of my previous LG
                                      – The surface is excellent for vibrant colors in a good monitor position without harsh light; but if you want a paper-like, more textured, least reflection prone surface you might consider Dell or LG.
                                      – The speakers are actually usable and the remote can be handy (with un-strategic button placement on the back).

Summary:
                                      The 500-600 EUR price was fantastic for what I got. I cannot find another monitor, also half a year later, that I’d rather buy for a budget < 1200 EUR. Color accuracy is astounding. I would not want to go back to 27″ or have less than for 4k on 32″.
                                      I wish uniformity was better, a usb hub/connection was built in, and refresh rate was higher than 60Hz…not so much gaming territory as “fluency” land 😉
                                      The Benq eye care settings are very useful; actually, my 120nits 5k color temp. calibration is almost identical with the strongest eyesaver setting. (If you cannot calibrate your monitor and have budget constraints: consider an ikea Ledare 5000 Kelvin, or so, lamp to light your print and set EW3280U in eyesaver mode to compare with digital.)
                                      To come to this forum has paid off for me: I want to thank the host and I hope I could give feedback that might be of use to someone.

PCM2

Thanks jens, for your kind words and also support. Both when you bought the BenQ and by sharing your extensive long-term impressions. I was hoping you would come back with some feedback for this thread and you didn’t disappoint! It’s good to see you’re enjoying the monitor overall and, despite its limitations, feel it does enough to justify its price with your colour-accurate workflow in mind. I like your tip with the 5000K lamp and using the strongest LBL setting (‘Reading’) on the monitor as well. That’s a good idea both to kill two birds with one stone – getting an appropriate colour temperature for the task whilst also enhancing viewing comfort!

This sort of long-term feedback is very welcome on the forum and helps shape my own recommendations whilst also being the sort of thing readers love to see! 🙂

PCM2

The HP U32 is a relevant addition to this thread as it has a specified 98% DCI-P3 coverage with a 31.5″ ‘4K’ UHD panel. I believe this one’s based around a BOE IPS-ADS panel. It is ‘Eyesafe’ certified as covered in the news piece, so it can be considered to tick quite a few viewing comfort boxes. It also offers full ergonomic flexibility and USB-C with 65W PD. The colour consistency of these large BOE IPS-ADS panels seems to lag slightly behind alternatives from other manufacturers, inviting some losses of saturation towards the extreme edges. And the screen surface tends to be grainier. I can’t say for sure this applies to the HP and the exact panel it uses, but based on my experience with other BOE panels in the past and user feedback on models such as the LG 32UN650 I’d still lean towards the BenQ EW3280U.

ruimarto

Hi. 🙂 I’m doing photo as hobby (for the moment) and I’m looking for a budget screen to start with. And since is mostly for web, I don’t want to go all out with full Adobe RGB coverage, specially because I need 32″ and 4k for my day job.

I’ve read this post and my doubt is because around here:
                                            – the LG 32UN88A-W currently goes for 480€ (black friday)
                                            – the BenQ EW3280U goes for 600€ but add extra 80€ for an adjustable arm
                                            – the PD3200U goes for 600€ as well, but it’s older, even though it should be better for graphic work

Then one step up in price, might not be worth it:
                                            – didn’t find info on the Asus PA329CV (not the “C” version) which is around 800€
                                            – the ViewSonic VP3268-4K for 900€
                                            – MSI Creator PS321URV for 850€

But without printing being an issue and not doing professional work yet, might be better to just save and then buy proper 100% everything next year.

More detail: I own a Datacolor SpyderX and graphics card is a Nvidia GTX 1650.

What’s your advice?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.