32″ 4k IPS for Video Editing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    tristan

I have a couple of options that I am currently looking at based on some criteria:
      – As close to an iMac experience without going over $1000
      – 4k or higher resolution
      – 32 inches
      – 95% DCI-P3 gamut or greater
      – IPS
      – glossy preferred (sadly this feature is void from the market)
      – minimal anti-glare
      – Brightness of 400 cm/d2 or higher
      – Macbook M2 compatible (it’s okay if it requires a windows firmware to make it mac compatible)
      – Calibration not needed (I can calibrate it with a SXP100)
      – VESA mount (preferred)

I narrowed down the search to:
      Benq EW3280U $350 (this is the only one with a review on the sight)
      Viewsonic ColoPro VP3256-4K $500
      – Benq DesignVue PD3220U $800
      Asus ProArt pa329cv $580

Omitted:
      – HUAWEI MateView $600 is an obvious choice but sadly it’s unavailable in the USA 🙁
      – EVE / Dough monitor is nice but avoid due to bad PR

Questions:
      – Do you have any experience with one that would deter you from recommending it?
      – Aside from the criteria I used to narrow down my search, is there anything else I should be considering?
      – Is there a monitor I should consider that I omitted?

PCM2

Hi tristan,

I think you’re correct to be wary of models from Dough or Eve – I choose not to promote them or really discuss them much for reasons you’ll be familiar with. It’s unfortunate that they’re one of few manufacturers providing glossy options on the marketplace. This is really a key part of the experience for some people, especially if trying to get the ”iMac-like’ experience. But as you’ve come to terms with you’ll have to settle for a matte screen surface, with some being naturally closer to the glossy experience than others.

With all this said I’d highly recommend reading through this thread on 32″ ‘DCI-P3’ options, because it covers all of the options you’re considering (except the ViewSonic VP3256-4K as that’s ‘too recent’) and makes a clear case for the BenQ EW3280U. I’m not sure on your pricing there or what that’s based on, but it is also a clear recommendations for video and photo editing at ~$600 or below. The ViewSonic VP3256-4K would also be one I’d consider at the current price, but I simply don’t have the same amount of information on it (including user feedback on aspects such as screen surface). Ergonomically speaking the design is better and it’s also more traditional which some may prefer and some may find more ‘boring’, but you’ll be VESA mounting anyway. The limited feedback I have received seems to suggest it’s a solid choice overall.

Degrader

As you’re looking for video editing maybe also the Dell U3223QE might be an option due to a higher native contrast ratio (2000:1) which can be an advantage for that. It met all your criteria, although it is more expensive than the monitors you’ve listed.

PCM2

Yup – that might be worth consider if you’re happy to pay the extra, tristan. 🙂 All I would say about that is that the motion performance is not particularly good for an IPS-type panel and it suffers from unavoidable trailing and overshoot due to pixel response time weaknesses, which could be problematic for video editing. This is a potential issue with current ‘IPS Black’ panels, unfortunately – even at 60Hz they’re quite limited in terms of pixel responsiveness. That’s not to say they’re terrible – still a lot faster than any VA alternative would be, but not as fast as the competing IPS ‘non-black’ models.

Ekranimir

I’m looking for a new monitor, in $500-$800 range, but from my current research it seems like I should leave the option to stretch up to $1000 if it’s unavoidable.

I use screen-hungry tools like Figma and Premiere and Photoshop, so there’s a need for screen estate, and my current Iiyama 27″ 1440p needs an upgrade. I’m happy with this brand, they do have 32 4K models but I don’t see many people recommending them so with this question I’m just trying to weigh my options.

I use Geizhals (I’m in Europe) but I can’t really figure should I use the filters like mini led, contrast numbers, response times…and also I would like one flat monitor on my desk, I saw people recommending dual 1440p or 21:9, but I’d like to keep it simple with 16:9 4K, 32 sounds like it will be good, but 40 sounds tempting as well, although probably unnecessary and over the top if I’m being honest.

My current search got me looking into Viewsonic VP3256, I remember Viewsonic being regarded as a brand for “professional use”, but there’s also many people on YT recommending LG 32UN880, and from what I understand LG is one of the main manufacturers of panels, so I guess their monitors should be good? What do you think on this VP3256 model, any experience, or maybe some other recommendation?

Thanks!

PCM2

Hi Ekranimir,

I’ve merged your post with this thread as it’s a suitable place. LG Display is the manufacturer of certain panels used by LG and others, but LG also uses panels from a range of other manufacturers. And in the monitor world there is no specific advantage to selecting a manufacturer based on another arm of their company also manufacturing panels. 🙂 Some LG models are good, but you need to take them on their own merits.

I would stick with the suggestions on this thread and would advise reading through some related threads such as this one, but I’ve got a few things to add. I have received a bit of positive user feedback on the ViewSonic VP3256 since publishing my last post on that model and it’s really in-line with my expectations based on some of their other models. It looks to be a pretty solid option if you only work within the sRGB colour space, it was praised by a pretty avid photographer who has even used some much higher-end reference monitors before. If you’re interested in work within extended colour spaces such as Adobe RGB and sRGB then some of the other options mentioned in this thread would be more suitable, however. And I’d actually consider one of our current recommendations in the segment which is the MSI MPG321UR-QD. It may be marketed as a gaming monitor, but as noted there it’s well suited for colour-sensitive work as well.

Ekranimir

Thanks for the reply PCM2, I need to switch my mind from specific brands when it comes to monitors, I would never think MSI would be in the “serious monitor” arena 😀

I can’t really think of a situation when a Adobe RGB color space would be of use, that probably means I don’t need it, but maybe if there’s a case for it if you could explain it? If I’m working in digital publishing only, and basically all of my work is viewed on sRGB panels, what “edge” would I gain with Adobe RGB? I presume it’s good when doing really color critical work, which I’m not doing.

Also, I’m almost completely decided (Viewsonic) and I’d ask if I purchase it, do I need to think about renting some kind of color calibrating device? Or it’s not needed that much anymore?

PCM2

If your content is distributed digitally and will only be viewed on standard gamut (~sRGB) monitors, there’s no advantage for you investing in a wide gamut monitor for your creations. It would only be applicable if you wish to view the work on wide gamut monitors or print the content out, for example. With that in mind I agree the VP3256 would be a good choice. It should offer a good factory calibration with that in mind, so I don’t consider a colorimeter an absolute necessity. It can still be helpful if you want the absolute best colour accuracy, to help tighten things up further and also help re-address slight imbalances that can occur over time. For example, the colour temperature will drift a bit over time as the phosphors on the backlight degrade. So it might be something you can consider as a future investment, but you can still expect good results from the monitor without that.

kaneda

Hello.
                      What you guys think about this one? look good on paper for photo/video? any word about the Msi mag 323upf?

PCM2

kaneda – I’ve merged your thread with this one as it’s a suitable place. I know you are interested in photo editing as well as video editing, but there’s a good amount of crossover.

The ASUS PA32UCR-K was the main focus of your original thread – this isn’t a model I’ve used myself and ASUS aren’t able to provide a sample, nor is it a model I’ve received any user feedback for. But generally ASUS ProArt monitors are pretty pleasing, particularly there ‘higher end’ models which tend to be well calibrated with plenty of OSD flexibility. The local dimming solution and HDR capability could provide useful for video editing, though less so for photo editing because there just isn’t enough precision and it will introduce inconsistencies which can be annoying for static content. You can of course disable the local dimming for photo editing and you’re left with an IPS model that should be well calibrated (and if not, can be calibrated appropriately with the bundled colorimeter for the ‘K’ model or a similar device for either model). And that has a generous gamut for excellent flexibility.

The MSI MAG 323UPF I have no further details on and it seems there isn’t even a product page available for it, though I see some smaller retailers have it listed (as placeholders – not actually available to buy).

kaneda

MSI MAG 323UPF specs.

PCM2

It fits your original gamut requirements (DCI-P3 is incomplete though good at 95%, weak Adobe RGB but that’s not a problem for you), but without reviews or feedback it’s an unknown and it’s not one we’re likely to review. But it depends on pricing, availability and broader interest really. I’d also add that ‘Display Specifications’ seems to think it uses the AUO M320QAN02.9, but they state it’s a 31.5″ monitor which is inconsistent as that’s a 32″ panel as normal for AUO panels. Other sources seem to suggest 32″, but I’m unsure where they got their information from or if they’re just filling in some gaps there. Assuming that AUO panel is used I’d expect it to use a light to very light matte anti-glare screen surface like other AUO panels of the size, but that’s a big assumption.

kaneda

Look like a weak version of their mpg321ur-qd, maybe good for gamers, I’m curious about “Dark Dynamic Boost with self-multiplier” a improvement from Dell???
                              I was hoping for a miniled version, maybe with FALD also….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.