30-32" 4K for photo editing: what's the best choice?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    floyd

Hello!

There are many reasons to love the internet and many reasons to hate it. This forum is definitely one of the reasons to love it. What an incredible amount of valuable and insightful information and advice! Thank you for taking the time, effort and expense to respond to people’s questions and doing so many in-depth reviews of monitors.

Okay, to my reason for posting the thread:

I am a photographer looking for a 32″ 4K monitor specifically for editing photos in Lightroom, which will then be printed on a Canon Pro 1000 printer. I’m coming from a 27″ iMac screen. From everything I’ve read online the BenQ PD3200U is the top recommended monitor, though the LG 32UD99 has gotten some positive reviews as well. But I’m hesitant to pull the trigger for two reasons. First: Flickering. Second: A newer model (though likely more expensive), the PD3220U is in the “near” future.

I’ve read the many Amazon reviews about the well-documented flickering problem. I’ve also read the responses by BenQ to these customers. It appears BenQ offers strong customer support by replacing monitors for those who experienced this problem. While the support and three-year warranty offer comfort, the hassle of having to pack and send back a 32″ monitor (maybe more than once!) is a concern. I’ll be using the monitor on a 2018 15″ MacBook Pro. Maybe this isn’t an issue on the newer MacBooks.

The possibility of a new monitor release in this category also concerns me. I don’t want to buy older technology in the PD3200U if a newer version is on the horizon.

So what would you guys do: Wait for the PD3220U, which will likely cost more and may not be available for months? Buy the BenQ PD3200U and cross my fingers that flickering is not in my future? Or forget about both models and look closer at the LG 32UD99 or a Dell equivalent? I’ve also heard LG is coming out with a 4K, 35″ Ultrawide soon. Ultrawides are so cool, but the lower resolution has prevented me from considering them; plus, I don’t think they have portrait mode.

Thanks for any advice you offer.

PCM2

Hi Floyd,

Thanks for your kind words. I would largely repeat what I said in this similar thread. The BenQ PD3200U is recommended and has been for a while, in spite of the potential flickering issue. If you’re looking for accurate performance within the sRGB colour space, it’s simply the best option of the size and resolution out there. And the majority of users don’t experience this flickering to a bothersome degree. It is usually very occasional and something you get used to, as per the review using our Nvidia GPU. If not, Amazon has a superb returns policy to fall back on and BenQ support is good as you noted.

The LG 32UD99 is an “interesting” alternative, but it has its own issues. The sRGB emulation is patchy and the native gamut is unsuitable by photography standards (no Adobe RGB support, weak sRGB performance). I’ve also had users complain of common uniformity issues and obvious static interlacing patterns, which aren’t attractive for photo editing (is the noise from the source of the photograph or just the monitor?) The BenQ PD3220U is likely better suited if you’re after Adobe RGB support, which could be useful as you’re print matching. But this isn’t something you will have used in the past from what you’ve said, so maybe that’s not relevant? Also note that the 32UD99 is set to be replaced by the 32UL950. Again, it’s targeting (in this case very) good DCI-P3 coverage as it is designed for HDR use and doesn’t support Adobe RGB, but it may offer better sRGB emulation and is hopefully free from static interlacing patterns or common uniformity complaints.

Edit 12/05/2022: – some quick feedback on the BenQ PD3205U was provided by a forum member here, which is a newer alternative to the PD3200U.

floyd

PCM2,

Thank you for the prompt and informative response and for the linked threads!

I do agree with your assessment of the “flickering” issue with the PD3200U being more of a nuisance than an issue. But I feel, and probably others do as well, for this level of technology from a company who has a high level of experience and expertise in the consumer/professional electronics market, I shouldn’t have to “live with” or “put up with” flickering of any sort. That being said, BenQ is definitely standing strongly behind their product with a solid three year warranty and an apparent monitor-replacement policy should the problem occur.

Specifically related to the 15″ 2018 MacBook Pro with the Radeon Pro 560X graphics card, has anyone had issues, flickering or otherwise, with their BenQ PD3200U? If so, please describe the problem and how you and/or BenQ resolved it.

Also, is there any word as to when the PD3220U will be available? If not and you were a gambler, would you say it will be out before Christmas? First/second/third/fourth quarter of 2019?

Again, many thanks for any insights people may offer.

PCM2

The product page for the PD3220U has only just been published. When more details are known about price and availability, the news piece will be updated to reflect that. My BenQ contacts are not sure on a release date, it doesn’t seem to have been confirmed. As I understand it, the monitor will probably be shown off at CES in January in released during Q1 2019 at earliest.

floyd

Spoke with BenQ today and received some reassurance about the flickering debacle. Was going to pull the trigger on the PD3200U but then learned BenQ is going to have quite the Black Friday event. So I’m putting off my purchase to see what kind of deals are to be had on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

As PCM2 indicated in the previous post, looks like BenQ is introducing the PD3220U early in the first quarter. That’s the strong “feeling” I got from the BenQ rep I spoke with on the phone.

PCM2

I’m not sure why you’re referring to me in the third person rather than addressing me directly. I’m the only one dedicating my time and effort to helping you here. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And with that said, please consider how you can support the website. I have spent a tremendous amount of time and effort recently helping users like yourself who have turned around and said “thanks for the help, I’ll wait until Black Friday and get this great deal from X website”. That in no way supports this website nor compensates me for the time I spend sharing my time and expertise. As noted throughout the website and on the support page, donations are also appreciated. Just bear this in mind if you end up purchasing in a black Friday event in a way that doesn’t support ‘the little guy’ helping you out.

floyd

Having posted on other forums, I’m used to other folks contributing their thoughts and expertise when I post a thread asking for advice. I’ve never posted on a forum where only one person responds to threads.

I’m sure it is extremely frustrating to spend a good amount of time offering valuable information, only to have people say “thanks” and not purchase via your forum. Please understand, I appreciate your insights and don’t feel I should get them for free. Therefore, I will either make my purchase via pcmonitors.info or make a contribution to your website if I purchase a model not highlighted here.

Since my last post, I’ve made one step forward and two steps back toward purchasing a 32″ 4K IPS monitor. Here’s where I’m at. Please offer your thoughts.

I’ve ruled out getting an LG monitor because of their poor warranty (one year) compared to other manufacturers on the market. I’ve ruled out waiting for the Benq PD3220U because I need something before 2019 and the cost (according to retailers with preorders) will be well beyond my budget ($1200). Those decisions brought me closer to buying the Benq PD3200U. But continued online research has added two new models to my purchase list.

Dell U3219Q
                  This model was added to the list of possibilities primarily because there are so many positive expert reviews of Dell monitors. High quality and reliable are also adjectives used to describe Dell monitors. Their picture quality of Dell Ultra Sharp monitors is consistently reviewed exceptional high. AND they have a three-year warranty. BUT, more specific to this model, I’ve been reading a few reviews stating the light bleed on this monitor is terrible. One owner had photos of the problem… it looked awful! Unfortunately there are only two verified owner reviews on Amazon, one five-star and one two-star. This is also the highest priced of the other two monitors I’m considering. On the plus side: it looks fantastic (IMHO), has USB-C and no (apparent) flickering issues like the BenQ PD3200U.

Pros:
                  (Perceived) high build quality
                  USB-C
                  Overall, the Dell line (appears) to consistently receive better picture quality reviews than the other two models under consideration
                  Styling

Cons:
                  Highest price of the three
                  Few online expert/buyer reviews
                  Light bleed

ViewSonic VP3268-4K
                  I added this monitor to the list because the Amazon reviews by verified purchasers was excellent. Overall, the Amazon reviews for the ViewSonic (80 reviews-4.2 stars) were better than the BenQ (313 reviews-3.7 stars). It is also listed in the top five of many recommended 32″ 4K IPS monitors. No USB-C but it does have the three-year warranty. But I’ve always thought of ViewSonic products as a cheap, poorly made, budget products. Seems every time Walmart has blowout, Black Friday deals, they’re selling a ViewSonic for $25.00. The ViewSonic is about $100.00 more than the BenQ and $50.00 less than the Dell.

Pros:
                  High Amazon customer satisfaction
                  Styling
                  Consistently rated in Top 5 of 32″ 4K IPS reviews

Cons:
                  (Perceived) quality issues
                  Price
                  No USB-C

BenQ PD3200U
                  Many good reasons to like the PD3200U, as mentioned above and in other threads. I just can’t get the flicker issue out of my head.

Pros:
                  Price
                  Positive reviews of picture quality
                  Warranty/customer service
                  Out-of-the-box calibration

Cons:
                  Flickering/Quality control
                  Styling
                  No USB-C

So, all that being said, which do you feel would best meet my needs for a high-quality 32″ 4K for photo editing in Lightroom on a 2018 15″ MacBook Pro? Do you feel the ViewSonic is worth the extra $100 or the Dell for an extra $150? Were there any pros and/or cons that I missed?

Thank you!

PCM2

Yes, this forum is indeed very unique. On a forum you generally get many users chipping in, often with conflicting advice and not always with particularly helpful advice either. Here there are a few interactions from other users, which I always appreciate, but it’s more of a knowledgebase where people can receive expert advice or view that advice given to others in a public way. People love the unique nature of the forum, but it does take a lot of my time and is only one avenue where I offer this time and advice. Given the growing popularity of the website and its social channels, the number of people wishing me to open up my chest of knowledge can get quite overwhelming. My time is precious and as with other things in life, people aren’t always able or willing to spend too much time doing something “for free”.

With that all said, I’m not all-seeing and all-knowing and unfortunately don’t have experience with those other models. However; I will tell you that the more popular a model is, the more likely it is that you’ll come across negative feedback. That’s just the way of the world. Those models are not particularly well known (the Dell is too new) so feedback, both positive and negative, is limited. The only feedback I’ve seen with respect to the Dell U3219Q was largely positive but the user had what appeared to be very poor dark uniformity (clouding and backlight bleed). Yet this was just one unit and of course any unit can have this sort of thing happen, so I wouldn’t look too much into it. Dell have generally been excellent with their calibration of recent UltraSharp models and they’ve really hit the spot for all-round performance. I reckon this could be a good one. Plus, as you know, they’re one of the better manufacturers out there for customer service should something go wrong. You won’t be without a monitor if it does – they send you a replacement and pick yours up at the same time. Should it come to that.

As for the ViewSonic VP3268-4K, as I said people are more likely to post negative vs. positive things so it can be difficult to compare feedback of products with differing popularity/feedback volume. But there is still a decent volume of feedback on Amazon and it is largely positive. I can’t recommend the product not because it’s bad, simply because I don’t know enough about it. ViewSonic are also generally good with factory calibration and don’t generally royally mess anything up. I’ve reviewed a few of their smaller UHD models in the past and they were both pretty solid in terms of calibration and overall performance. As with AOC, ViewSonic do have a large number of budget models which are designed to be pretty much as cheap as possible. And that can be reflected with their overall build quality. But they also have plenty of models which I consider to be well-built and as I’ve mentioned well-calibrated. That certainly includes their VP (‘ViewSonic Professional’) series as you’re considering here. Their aftersales support is generally well-liked as well, they’re a decent company overall.

So yes, I think these are viable alternatives to the BenQ if you are worried about the flickering issue. Which I do understand. And also if you’re unable to wait for the BenQ PD3220U or unwilling due to its release price. It’s tricky to choose between the Dell and ViewSonic above because there isn’t really any substantial test data on them. Of course I’d love to test them myself, but that would have to wait until next year now and I’m likely to be spending my time testing other models like the PD3220U and LG 32UL950. They’re more interesting to me as a reviewer, but they’re both going to be higher priced products, at least when initially released. Also note that the key difference between the Dell and the ViewSonic (and BenQ) models above is that the Dell has 95% DCI-P3 coverage and an sRGB emulation mode. And I’m not sure how good that emulation mode is. They can be quite hit and miss. If you’re just going to be using the sRGB colour space for your work then perhaps the ViewSonic would be a better choice. Whereas some users prefer to use the native colour gamut on a model like the Dell so things look more ‘vibrant’ outside of photo editing and colour-critical usage.

floyd

PCM2,

Thanks again for the prompt and wonderfully informative response. I apologize, but my monitor terminology is limited. Please explain “DCI-P3” and “sRGB emulation mode” as each relates to editing photos. Because the Dell is in my top three, I really want to make certain I understand your comment below. Does the Dell artificially increase color dynamics to make the image on screen more favorable, much like adding bass and treble in music rather than keeping the sound “flat”? Whereas the BenQ and ViewSonic offer (as well as possible) a truer, “flatter” picture? Or am I completely misunderstanding those terms?

Also note that the key difference between the Dell and the ViewSonic (and BenQ) models above is that the Dell has 95% DCI-P3 coverage and an sRGB emulation mode. And Iโ€™m not sure how good that emulation mode is. They can be quite hit and miss. If youโ€™re just going to be using the sRGB colour space for your work then perhaps the ViewSonic would be a better choice. Whereas some users prefer to use the native colour gamut on a model like the Dell so things look more โ€˜vibrantโ€™ outside of photo editing and colour-critical usage.

Thanks!

PCM2

DCI-P3 is a Digital Cinema Initiatives standard colour space and is the current preferred (near term) standard for HDR content. It is why it is becoming popular for monitors, with HDR support becoming increasingly common. It is not generally used for photo editing, the preferred gamut for that would either be sRGB or Adobe RGB. For digital distribution sRGB is generally used because it is the lowest common denominator that most screens will support. Adobe RGB can be preferred if the photos are printed in the end as it usually matches the capabilities of the printer better than sRGB.

An sRGB emulation mode means that a monitor with a wider colour space (such as ~DCI-P3 or ~Adobe RGB) has a preset or other feature on the monitor that restricts the gamut so it is closer to sRGB. This generally improves colour accuracy for work within the sRGB colour space. If you just use the native colour gamut (~DCI-P3) then your standard content which is designed with sRGB in mind (includes photos edited/distributed digitally most of the time) will look oversaturated. Monitors don’t intelligently convert between one colour space and another. So you need to control (tame) the gamut appropriately or select a model with an appropriate gamut to start with.

In the case of the ViewSonic and BenQ their colour gamut is closer to sRGB natively so they don’t give so much oversaturation. The Dell’s native gamut would give significant oversaturation. This would be toned down with the sRGB emulation mode as the colour gamut is restricted. But you’ll often find some undercoverage of the sRGB colour space with emulation modes like that and sometimes there is a drop in contrast.

And not to add too much complexity, but the colour gamut restriction with an sRGB emulation mode is achieved using filtering and careful tone remapping on the monitor. But it’s actually the backlight that controls the native colour gamut. The filtering/remapping isn’t perfect – you’ve basically got a wide gamut light source that is artificially restricted. The shades don’t look quite the same as if it is the backlight itself that’s providing the more restricted colour gamut. It’s something that’s quite difficult to explain/understand unless you’ve actually seen such a setting on a monitor and compared to a native sRGB monitor. It quite a subtle difference in how the shade is perceived and isn’t picked up by a colorimeter (not all users really notice it either), but it’s there and it’s something to consider.

floyd

Thanks for the education!

Since I’ll be primarily using the monitor for editing photos in Lightroom (an Adobe product) to output to a Canon Pro 1000 printer, should I focus my search to monitors that most accurately reproduce Adobe RGB colors? Are such monitors typically more expensive?

Obviously 100% Adobe RGB coverage would be ideal in a monitor, but what range would be considered acceptable? good? excellent?

How’s the BenQ PD3200U’s Adobe RGB specification?

PCM2

Well it’s a bit complicated really. Many users still use sRGB for print matching and some prefer it. It sort of depends on the content itself and your preferences. There are actually very few choices if you need good Adobe RGB coverage, and they’re not cheap. One example being the BenQ SW320. The PD3200U is a standard gamut monitor, it comes nowhere near Adobe RGB. So it isn’t even specified, but I believe it is under 80% (i.e. not supported). You’d really need to be looking at 96%+ Adobe RGB coverage to consider it acceptable to use the colour space.

kaitlyn2004

Ahhhh I feel like I’ve been doing so much researching lately, and tend to keep coming back to the PD3200U… main issue seems to be people have “blackout/flickering” or even random vertical lines periodically, but it also SOUNDS like this has been fixed for units mfr’ed after Nov 2017.

But now.. now I come across a PD3220U!? I want. But it seems it won’t even be coming out until January-ish… which is longer than I can wait. At the same time, I hate to order now and in less than 2 months have a newer and better model out ๐Ÿ™

I am SLIGHTLY tight on space, and the idea of 1″ less width for the monitor while having same screen size is enticing too. Generally more modern helps too ๐Ÿ™‚

PCM2

Well yes, that’s a tough one. If you really can’t wait because you actually need a monitor then surely that makes your decision for you, though. The PD3220U is also going to be more expensive than the PD3200U.

kaitlyn2004

Yeah, and sadly that will ALSO probably make the PD3200U even cheaper. Wonder if I can find a decent used monitor to hold me over… hmm

floyd

Okay, I’m going to throw a wrench in my research criteria.

I realized in my previous posts I neglected to mention 90% of the photographs I’ll be editing on whatever monitor I get will be black and white. That being said, should I even care about sRGB or aRGB? Should I focus primarily on monitors with a solid grayscale rating?

PCM2

In that case you can ignore colour gamut, investing in Adobe RGB will be rather pointless. The greyscale performance is potentially enhanced by good calibration, bit-depth and internal processing. But it’s difficult to separate your options based on that, they’d all be fine.

Anton Chigurh

I have been building a Mac Mini for photo editing, and the most difficult component to select has been the monitor. Iโ€™ve got it down to two options and wonder if anyone has experience or opinions about them. One option is the HP Z32, and the other is the ViewSonic VP3268-4K.

Any thoughts or recommendations between the two?

PCM2

Hi Anton,

Technically duplicating content from other places is against the forum rules. But your post was quite short and there is extensive discussion relevant to one of the models you’re considering and some possible alternatives, so I’ve just merged your thread with this one. And I appreciate how frustrating it can be posting somewhere and having users just ignore the post or not offer any advice.

I’m afraid I have no idea whether the HP Z32 is a good monitor or not, I’ve not used it (HP are a diffiuclt to work with as a reviewer here in the UK) nor have I received significant user feedback. The ViewSonic VP3268-4K, on the other hand, is generally well received by users. Recent user feedback I’ve received on it includes a user who found the factory calibration to be excellent (in-line with many other recent ViewSonic VP series products) and therefore felt very confident using it for his photography, which included digital distrubtion on the internet. So the sRGB colour space is perfect for that. And he just really enjoyed using the monitor for general desktop usage as well, including watching Netflix and browsing the internet. The only thing to bear in mind is that if you wish to print any of your photos, the colour gamut (~sRGB, no support for wider gamuts) is not ideal. For digital content viewing it’s just fine, though.

Didi

I am an architect and I also design hand printed scarves. I have two laptops on which I do my work using Windows 10: Dell Precision 5530 2 in 1 (with Dell Premium Active Pen PN579X ) and an Alienware 15 R3 and am in the market for buying a monitor. I am lost with all the terminology and would appreciate your help. I promise to buy from your link if I get the right product. In plain English this is what I am looking for:
                                            1) A large monitor with which I can view my entire 32″x 21″ CAD generated PDF drawings without zooming in. I would like to mark up the drawings for my drafts people. Besides just the monitor I need to know if I need an accessory or if I can use my 2 in 1 to mark up the PDFs.
                                            2) Color accuracy is very important to me and I need the widest range of colors possible. Brightness hurts my eyes and so I prefer something that does not shine. However I can live with shine if all other criteria are met.
                                            3) I am looking to spend a maximum of $1,600.
                                            In my own research I settled upon Dell UP3216Q but there are so many people with defective monitors complaining about their buy that I have refrained from purchasing it. Need help. Thank you.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.