1440p Monitor with deep blacks and all around good panel

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    vincik

Hi, what is in your opinion best 1440p 27inch (or 1080p 24inch) ips monitor with 75hz refresh rate, that is strong in colors, color uniformity, low backlight bleed, is factory calibrated, good build quality. Im currently waiting for LG 27GL850 to see how it perform in reviews, but i realized, that i wont be able to use its 144hz in most games anyway as i have no highend pc. I now have 1080p 144hz monitor and even now i cannot use its 144hz capability in most games. I recently visited my friend, who plays on my former monitor – LG Flatron W2220P 22inch 60hz 1680×1050 IPS, which can be set to 75hz and i was surprised, that playing even fast paced games like League of Legends wasn´t that bad. I could easily choose low refresh rate, high quality IPS over those new gaming VA panels with ghosting artifacts (not to mention TN panels). Only thing, that bothered me about it, was low resolution and maybe a little bit of washed out colors to my taste. I guess i will buy one of those new IPS 144hz panels, that will come out this year anyway as i expect there is none such monitor i just described.

So to sum this up:
      24 1080p or 27 1440p 16:9
      IPS
      at least 99% sRGB
      factory calibrated
      low backlight bleed
      good color uniformity
      75hz (can be more)
      good enough pixel transitions and low input lag for casual gaming
      freesync support

what i dont need:
      HDR, curve, widescreen, monitor for competitive gaming, gsync, color gamut over 100% of RGB,

I browsed few online shops and checked some webs about monitors and i found these: Acer B277U, AOPEN 27ML1U, Nixeus NX-EDG27S v2, Pixio PX277

Sory for long read and thanks for response.

PCM2

This topic is more about models with “deep blacks” (VA panels) so these models don’t really apply. To be completely honest with you I have very little experience with “75Hz” 2560 x 1440 models. They’re just models using 60Hz panels that can overclock to 75Hz. The only one I’ve used and have some experience with is the Dell S2719DM and that was pretty good overall.

I don’t have any experience with the models you’ve listed, although I’ve received user feedback on a few and would avoid them – the Pixio in particular, unless you like flickering backlights and a company that tries to market 240Hz PWM as “flicker-free” or some form of special low-flicker technology. I’m not saying they’re alone in doing this, but other companies (such as LG with certain products recently) will withdraw such marketing rather than try to continue to pull the wool over users eyes.

vincik

what about MSI Gaming Optix MAG271CQR? I was thinking on waiting for LG 27GL850 but there are still no news about its availability in europe and im also worried of going back to IPS low contrast. I was searching internet for monitors last few days for 1440p 27inch IPS or VA and MAG271CQR seems like best option from VA offerings. Problem is i cannot find any decent review.

Edit: ok after some more research i think i will try this MAG271CQR. Im only a bit worried about two issues that few owners complain online. 1. color banding – but i read only few people complain so it could be due to quality of video/picture or bad setting of monitor. 2. few people reported something i find is called “Interlace Pattern Artifacts”

PCM2

I’ve got no user feedback to share on that model, but it uses the same CELL (panel without backlight) to the AOC AG273QCX that we’ve reviewed in detail. Some of the key attributes will obviously be shared between the two and since other reviewers don’t delve into enough detail to point these things out, they’re worth being away of. There’s simply no way around it, there are some clear disadvantages to these models compared to a the IPS-type model (assuming you get a ‘good unit’ etc.):

– Weaknesses in pixel responsiveness. MSI haven’t shown themselves to be capable of providing a flexible or particularly well-implemented pixel overdrive solution on their other VA models, so I wouldn’t hold out much hope for this one either.
            – ‘Interlace pattern artifacts’.
            – Somewhat grainy screen surface (although not too bad – less smooth than IPS-type alternatives still).
            – Weaknesses in colour consistency and viewing angle performance.

The key strength is contrast and lack of ‘IPS glow’. The generous colour gamut of the WQHD VA options is also appealing for users who like shades to be shown in a generally vibrant way. Although the Gigabyte AD27QD and 27GL850 also have this attribute and combine it with strong colour consistency (strong vibrancy throughout the screen). Some users quite like the curve of the VA models as well, for me it would be low down on my list of reasons for choosing or not choosing a monitor. Different people will have different preferences. Also note some points raised earlier with respect to the MSI MPG27CQ, which uses the same CELL again but a different backlight and has some different external features.

“The MSI MPG27CQ is a poor choice, according to user feedback I’ve received. This included from a guy who owns a computer store and has spent some time testing it out alongside the AOC. He found the calibration poor and noticed imperfections such as undersaturation and ‘banding’ (excessive detail) in places regardless of settings used. And he wasn’t at all impressed with the pixel overdrive implementation.”

By all means try it out, seeing for yourself is always worthwhile and the best way of truly appreciating the product and if it’s right for you. Don’t let others (including me) put you off trying if you’re happy to do that. 🙂

vincik

thanks for thorough reply and all previous replies. i appreciate your expertise.

neo

Hello, I am now looking for a QHD monitor, 144, IPS or VA Panel, with good image quality but that has a high response for competitive games. Basically a great monitor … if it exists.

My budget would go from 300 to 400 euros, but if it is not in this range I could go up to 500.

PCM2

Right… Well this thread and a few others are worth reading through as they cover pretty much all the bases:

https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/1440p-high-refresh-rate-monitor-tn-vs-ips-vs-va/
                  https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/quest-for-high-refresh-rate-ips-or-va-perfection/

Given your budget and the fact you’re wanting decent responsiveness, the Acer XB271HU would probably be the one to take the gamble on.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.