1440p Monitor with deep blacks and all around good panel

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Quincyguy

Hey guys!
      Would like to know your opinion on which monitors are currently the best, bang for buck.
      I’m looking for a 1440p panel, with the main concern being deep blacks and generally good colour reproduction. I will be using this for non-competitive gaming and some multimedia work.
      Preferably, it’s a g-sync panel, as I do own a 1070, and it being ultrawide would be a nice bonus. These two things come in last though.
      Budget is around 600$, although I would love some options priced higher and lower, so I can get a feel on what I’m missing out on or overpaying for.

Thank you so much!

PCM2

Hi Quincyguy and welcome,

Given that you’re looking for ‘deep blacks’, that really restricts your choices to VA panels. Note that modern VA models offer relatively deep blacks (i.e. around 3 times as deep as non VA LCDs), but don’t expect them to be really deep and inky when viewed in a dim room.

What sort of screen size are you looking for? As an UltraWide I’m imagining 34″, but perhaps you’re flexible when considering 16:9 (2560 x 1440) models. We’ll shortly be reviewing the Samsung C27HG70, which is a very interesting option and a rather unique one. It’s the only model currently using a high refresh rate 27″ 2560 x 1440 VA panel. It’s a matter of personal preference, but I find the pixel density of ~32″ 2560 x 1440 models to be too low. I prefer 27″ 2560 x 1440 models like the aforementioned Samsung (or ~34″ UltraWides with a 3440 x 1440 resolution and hence a similar pixel density).

For UltraWides two of the more affordable (without being non-mainstream or generally untrustworthy) and capable models are the ASUS MX34VQ and the Samsung C34F791. There’s plenty of information about those in their reviews, but also if you do a forum search (in the footer) you’ll find various comparison threads and other thoughts on those models. The G-SYNC options are far less inspiring at the moment and I don’t think would fit with your budget either. None currently available use the Samsung SVA panels (like the MX34VQ), so colour reproduction is weaker and you generally pay a significant premium simply for the fact it has G-SYNC.

Quincyguy

Thanks for the amazing response. Will check these out. Much appreciated!

Umbral

In the same price you can get a Benq Ew3270zl

You get same PPI as 24″ with 1920 x 1080.

I always prefer lower PPI because i can see tiny things without getting tired.

Depends on your activities.

For multimedia bigger is always better !

SED

Looking for a display with the following specifications:

23-27 inch (actually prefer smaller sizes since I have limited desk space)
              1440P
              MVA only (not TN or IPS/PLS)
              high contrast (I can’t seem to find any current ones that have 4000-5000:1 ratings)

secondary but not mandatory: 100Hz or better

would also probably compromise to 1080p resolution if everything else matched up with what I was looking for

having trouble finding anything, because more focus seems to be towards larger sized displays

PCM2

Hi SED,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as it’s on a similar topic. The only current display that matches those sort of specifications is the Samsung C27HG70, which we’re currently reviewing. It doesn’t offer the sort of static contrast you’re looking for, but no current monitor does. When operating in its HDR mode, though, it offers superior contrast to what you’re looking for. At least, for certain sections of the screen – that will become clearer when the review is published.

SED

thanks for the info, i wasn’t aware any pc monitors offered HDR (i was actually thinking of making a topic about whether HDR would be better or equal to high contrast)

SED

I noticed a topic on another forum, where there was a uniformity in the backlight

hopefully it was just a bad panel

i also saw in that topic there is a CF791 which is also a 1440P VA panel @ 100Hz
                    edit: the CF791 is a 34 inch monitor

PCM2

Yes, uniformity varies between individual units. We’ve got a full review of the C34F791 (CF791), by the way. Surprised you haven’t read it if you were seeking information about that monitor. I don’t see how it fits in with your ‘small size’ requirement nor your contrast preferences.

SED

it doesn’t fit. i saw it mentioned in passing and just looked it up afterwards (only to find out it was too large unfortunately)

PCM2

Ah right, understood.

But yes, I know the monitor market very well. And I can tell you there are no monitors that tick all the boxes at the moment. The C27HG70 mentioned would come closest. It isn’t perfect by any means, but then no monitor is. If you can hold out until January, I’d keep an eye out for some other models shown off at CES. Unfortunately it seems ~3000:1 contrast is the maximum you’ll be finding on these sorts of models at the moment. So you would be relying on HDR capability and supported content to get more out of them.

popol

I’v looked for 1440p 23-24″ monitor and I didn’t find any with VA panel. Only TN / IPS / PLS panels

PCM2

That’s correct. VA models are generally ~32″+ at that resolution, with just a few exceptions at 27″ as noted here. Nothing smaller.

Subzero11

I’m just so annoyed, that there is no standard 1440p 27″ VA screens on the market. Sure they are some new gamer curved ones and some that have 144 fps but they are really expensive. Samsung has the 1440p curved 60Hz, but I don’t like it. I just don’t how Benq what produce a decent plain standard 1440p 27″ VA screen. Hell I would even take a 1440p 24″ VA at this point but it does not exist either. I keep checking this website every so often to see what new monitors are on the horizon and hoping.

PCM2

Agreed, it’s an annoying gap in the market at the moment.

SED

I’m excited about HDR possibilities… but something tells me it’ll be a while until I start to see some smaller monitors with this feature.

PCM2

Smaller as in <27"? Yes, probably correct. At least if you're talking about 'proper HDR' which requires an FALD on an LCD. OLED and backlightless technology is another story as they don't require a complex (or any) backlight array. The PQ22UC being a prime example of a smaller model with HDR support, due to being OLED.

SED

yes, my desk space is limited so i can maybe go 24in max size monitor. that ASUS PQ22UC looks really nice, but would not be surprised if it cost $1500 😛
                                        Been waiting for OLED to finally become affordable….

skwmelo

Hi,
                                          Recently I am searching for a 27 inch monitor to replace my old one. I have watched a lot of review and testing videos on YouTube but I still have no idea about which monitor should I buy. I know this website is doing great reviews and giving solid opinions to people who struggle in choosing the right monitors. That brings me here and I sincerely hope you could give me some suggestions.
                                          Back to my questions. I would like to have a 27 inch curved monitor at 144hz. The monitor will mainly be used for watching videos, anime and films. I also play games like LOL, Apex Legend and some pc games. The buget is around $400-$500. Is ag273qcx/mpg27cq a good choice for me? Could you also recommend some cheaper alternatives? Also, is 1440p and 1080p a huge difference when it comes to 27 inch monitor? Thank you so much.

PCM2

Hi skwmelo,

There are several threads discussing this sort of thing, I merged your post with one of them. And I felt this thread could do with a bit more love as it’s an interesting topic and focuses mainly on the ‘high contrast’ element which suits what you’re looking for. You’ve been quite specific about your requirements. To address your questions and the models you should be considering:

– The AOC AG273QCX offers nice all-round performance as covered in the review. Particularly nice if you want strong contrast and vivid colour output, but aren’t too fussy about pixel responsiveness.

– The Samsung C27HG70 is an alternative with somewhat better pixel responsiveness and otherwise similar image quality. Plus a reasonable HDR implementation (arguably better than on the AOC due to local dimming – although the AOC’s HDR is about as good as you’ll see from VESA DisplayHDR 400). Quality control is a bit worse than on the AOC it seems, partly due to the somewhat more complicated backlight arrangement.

– The MSI MPG27CQ is a poor choice, according to user feedback I’ve received. This included from a guy who owns a computer store and has spent some time testing it out alongside the AOC. He found the calibration poor and noticed imperfections such as undersaturation and ‘banding’ (excessive detail) in places regardless of settings used. And he wasn’t at all impressed with the pixel overdrive implementation.

– The Gigabyte AORUS CV27Q is an upcoming alternative to consider, it may reach your region (Asia) earlier than here in fact. The Samsung C27JG52 is usually cheaper than the other options discussed and users seem to like it for the price. The colour gamut isn’t as broad so image not as vibrant, but it still has some decent vibrancy in places and it seems to be quite well-tuned if users are to be believed.

– The difference between 27″ WQHD and Full HD is significant on both the desktop and gaming. For gaming, the extra detail and clarity is very noticeable and really breaths new life into games that no graphics settings themselves (‘Ultra’ at Full HD) can replicate. For movies, most look best at Full HD as you don’t really get WQHD movies. But the slight softening on a WQHD monitor when running Full HD content is something most people will happily bear given the advantages elsewhere.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.