1440p high refresh rate monitor (TN vs IPS vs VA)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 529 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.

• Author
    kubas246

Hi, I want to order my new monitor today. It’s pretty big deal for me as I it’s my first new monitor in last 12 years (yup). I want to get something really good as I don’t replace monitor often.

I want to get 1440p, 144Hz, preferably 27″ monitor. GSync support is nice addition but it’s not mandatory. I want it mainly for gaming (I play a lot of different genres and games from fast FPS like CSGO, Overwatch or Quake trough RPGs like Witcher finishing on RTS games like EU and slower FPS games like ARMA), it will be also used for watching movies and of course browsing internet, programming etc.

I was thinking about getting IPS (AOC AG271QG), but IPS glow and especially awful grey/silver black pushed me away. So my next two options are Dell S2417DG (unfortunately 24″ as 27″ have banding issues) and LG 32GK850G (unfortunately 32″ but it’s fastest VA available as far as I know). Dell of course is fastest as it uses TN panel, it don’t have as grey/silver blacks as IPS, but colors are worst (from these 3 monitors).

LG offers colors almost as good as IPS, but much better contrast, blacks are black, but unfortunately it’s slower than IPS.

I would be really happy is someone could say something more about blur in comparison to fast TN (like mentioned Dell). Is it worth to sacrifice colors, contrast and blacks for less blur? Is difference that big? Or should I take LG as blur is not that big issue? Or maybe I should just stop complaining about silver blacks and gets this AOC.

PCM2

The LG 32GK850G is exceptionally responsive for a VA monitor, in terms of pixel transition speed. If you read the responsiveness section, you’ll see that comparisons with both Dell models and also the AHVA (IPS-type) models like the AOC AG271QG you mentioned are specifically made. I specifically mention that I didn’t feel at a competitive disadvantage when comparing to the S2716DG. A model I’m very familiar with as I use it as my main gaming monitor. Yes there are some weaknesses, but those weaknesses are slight and with the ‘Fastest’ response time setting it really holds its own in a competitive environment. I also mentioned that there were some pixel transitions that were faster than on the IPS-type models, giving less noticeable ‘powdery trailing’. So it’s not the case that it’s universally slower than those models, at all. The overshoot is a potential issue if you’re bothered by that and in that respect both the Dell S2417DG and the IPS-type models are very good. They have very little noticeable overshoot when using their optimal response time (overdrive) settings.

The size of the LG’s screen, at 31.5″, is certainly a consideration. But you can adapt to that. I used to think anything larger than ~20″ was large. Because I was used to using much smaller screens, many moons ago. Now I can happily use 43″ monitors, provided they’re a decent distance from my eyes. If you are able to sit the LG at least 70cm from your eyes, I think you’re golden. Otherwise a smaller monitor may well make sense. You’ve highlighted some of the key weaknesses well – the image quality of the Dell models and any TN model is lacking when compared to the other panel types. Contrast is much weaker than on the LG and colour consistency is significantly worse. To add insult to injury, the gamma handling without proper correction (with an ICC profile) is poor. That can be corrected with the caveats noted in that article and the reviews, but you can’t improve the colour consistency and perceived gamma shifts (e.g. washed out look lower down the screen, too deep higher up) with calibration.

In addition to the AOC AG271QG providing a ‘clean’ pixel response performance, without noticeable overshoot using its optimal ‘Overdrive’ setting, it is free from ‘interlace pattern artifacts’. I didn’t observe these readily on the S2417DG I reviewed, either, although I found them very noticeable on the 27″ model and also fairly noticeable on the LG. They don’t bother everyone, they’re not obtrusive to some users and not everyone even notices them at all. I could certainly tolerate them given the other strengths of the LG. All of these choices have their weaknesses – you’ve already identified the relatively poor contrast and IPS (AHVA glow) issues with the IPS-type models. The QC (Quality Control), as I’m sure you’re aware, is also lacking in general for models using those particular panels. So backlight bleed is a complaint that is more common than on the other models. If you can tolerate the size and can sit a suitable distance from it, the LG would be my choice. If you can’t then you will need to consider whether you value colour quality over contrast. And also whether it would be easy for you to return whichever model you go for, especially if you go for one of those IPS-type models with questionable QC.

kubas246

Thanks for very detailed response. I have one more question. In one of reviews I saw statement saying that response time is quite good on “Fastest”, but in games with rich graphics (BF1, Witcher, Fortnite etc.) overshoot on this mode is intolerable and you have to change it to “Fast” but then blur is too big. What’s your opinion on that?

PCM2

I give my opinion in detail in the review and give a thorough assessment on the difference between the two modes. I also specifically used BF1 as a test title. As I mention, sensitivity to overshoot varies. Some users would find it bothersome and therefore prefer ‘Faster’. Others (this includes me) find the improvement in perceived blur sufficient with the ‘Fastest’ setting over ‘Faster’ to put up with the overshoot. Because I enjoy the competitive edge of the ‘Fastest’ setting and for me that outweighs the overshoot.

kubas246

OK, thanks again! I got the LG.

hesterbergnl

I am searching for a new monitor and I have no clue what to get. I am stumped on this one. I have a macbook pro that I do development for school and iOS/Mac apps on. I also have a GTX1080 powered gaming PC. I work a lot on both, and use one or the other depending on what I’m doing. I am looking for a monitor with the following characteristics:

1. 1440p+ — high resolution so it looks nice with my mac. 1080p looks rubbish. Also need to pack a lot into 1 screen when developing.
    2. 27″+ –I am often using an IDE and have a web browser up. Doing split screen isn’t super easy on a 24″, so it’ll need to be 27″ so I can comfortably use split screen and not rely on my mac as a 2nd monitor.
    3. Good color — I dabble with a mirrorless camera and like editing in LR + PS. I want better colors than something like the Dell S2716dg provides.
    4. Single monitor — In the past I had two monitors, one for gaming (24″ S2417dg and Dell 24″ Ultrasharp). This worked well, but now that I’m using my mac a lot more, I don’t have the desk space for both. I’d like to only have 1 monitor.
    5. GSync — I’ve used Gsync for a while now, and can’t imagine going back to without it.
    5. Less than $700, ideally.

I have pondered about the following:
    1. Asus P279q — IPS, 1440p, 27″… basically all my requirements, but it’s expensive and QC seems not great. Also I can’t find much info about how good the colors ACTUALLY are.
    2. Acer Predator xb271hu bmiprz–same as above, except also it is super ugly and gamer-y. I prefer low key. Could always get a better VESA mount.
    3. Samsung 27″ CFG70 — VA panel with decent color, but no Gsync. Also, worried the curvature will make photo editing hard.
    4. 27″ TN monitor like the S2716sg and Mac monitor for color sensitive work — this would make things cheaper, but it would be nice to have everything I want in a monitor.
    5. 4k monitor with good color — Ditch the gaming at high refresh. I’m getting older, maybe it’s time I focus on my work and drop the gaming hobby.

Any recommendations?

PCM2

Hi hesterbergnl and welcome,

I have merged your thread with this one as it has appropriate discussion on all of the models you’re considering and indeed some others. Also note that I do not ever recommend the ASUS PG279Q because it has poor quality control even amongst the already problematic IPS-type alternatives. The Acer XB271HU would be a better choice, but be prepared to deal with returns and don’t expect a lovely dark-room performance (in fact don’t expect this with any IPS-type model).

With respect to your uses you’re really going to have to take a chance on one of the IPS-type models. I completely agree having a single monitor could make more sense than trying to single-role multiple monitors. There will be some other options available next year if you can wait. Possibly not Q1 or even Q2, mind. If not, just get the monitor from somewhere with a good returns policy and take your chances with one of the existing models (but not the ASUS). I know plenty of users who find the curve far more subtle that they’re expecting, on a curved monitor, and don’t find it problematic for photo editing or similar tasks. But in terms of colour consistency and therefore perceived accuracy throughout the screen there’s really no replacement for an IPS-type panel. The colour gamut of the C27HG70 is also designed for entertainment (~DCI-P3) and is not really suitable for photo editing specifically.

Ditching the idea of the high refresh rate is an option as is going for a model with higher resolution. But you’ll have to weigh that up carefully. You clearly enjoy G-SYNC so “getting old” though you may feel you are, I think deep down you know high refresh rates are for you. 😉

mt196

Hi guys,
    I cannot find any good monitor that is IPS/VA, uses FreeSync so it is 144hz (or even 75hz, but I prefer the 144 option) and has very good colors.

I have a Vega 64 card and I’ll use the monitor to play and to edit some photographs (but not professionally), so I want nice colours, but IPS blacks didn’t satisfy me so much in games and multimedia content, so I started looking at VA panels, but I only found the Samsung C27HG70 which it seems to have some cons like clouding and an extremely huge mount, am I right?

Do you know other similar monitors?

PCM2

Your options are discussed here (so your thread has been merged with this one). All monitors have their pros and cons and the Samsung C27HG70 is no exception. If you dislike the contrast of IPS-type panels then I’m afraid you’ll have to live with the other compromises of the C27HG70. Because it’s an entirely unique product. Some further thoughts can be found on this thread. So my advice would be to give it a try, from somewhere with a good returns policy, or wait until CES in January to see if any suitable alternatives are on the horizon.

Oh and yes, the stand is deeper than it could be, but “extremely huge” is a massive exaggeration.

duken

I’m also thinking about getting a new 1440p g-sync monitor. Noticed that you mention new screens are coming. What do you think we can expect in 2019? Some IPS HDR 144Hz with g-sync on the horizon? Thank you for any reply.

PCM2

I’m not aware of any specific G-SYNC models on the horizon, but anything I can actually discuss will be included here or as a news article on the website. CES is not too far away, that would be when we get a proper glimpse of some of the new models that manufacturers plan to release in 2019-20. I know that AUO have a new 165Hz 2560 x 1440 AHVA (IPS-type) panel in the works that’s due to go into production next month, so there could be some early prototypes or pre-production models at CES using that. Or at least some form of announcement. LG have a similar panel in the works but that’s due to enter mass production in Q2 2019 and I wouldn’t expect products using it until later in 2019.

KenNashua

Anything non-Gsync? LG 32GK650/850 would be ideal except it’s just too big for my area. If they had a 27″ version I’d jump. (At $299, the LG32GK650F-B seems like a steal!)

I’m torn on the curve as I have a dual monitor setup. Ideally: 27″, 1440p, 144Hz, VA or IPS. C27HG70 seems a pretty good price point. Anything else I might consider this cyber-Monday vs. waiting until next year?

PCM2

The C27HG70 is really the option to consider in your position. I don’t think a curve is something to shy away from in a dual-monitor setup. If you angle the monitors slightly towards yourself it can actually be a nice thing to have. Aside from that it really depends on your budget, but I get the impression you’re trying to keep that as low as possible which is understandable. So I’d suggest either trying the Samsung out (from somewhere with a good returns policy) or waiting for CES in January to get a flavour for the market in 2019.

Anonymous

Hi,
    I’m currently looking for a new monitor, and while trying to make my decisionUnfortunately,

. I was looking at 2 models the Acer XB271HUA 27″ and the ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR 27″.

My first choice in panel types is TN because the main reason I will use the monitor is 80% gaming, 10% coding and 10% treatment of raw images, so the 1ms response was my first choice but currently I’m open to the idea of getting a IPS since maybe it could be a good trade of to have less 4ms response but getting a screen less faulty.
    My preference in resolution would be wqhd but if it is justified I can easy go down to a preference for full hd.
    The reason for my trade are; I need a bigger screen an I fell that a 27” will be more suitable; I want to have G-sync technology because while playing games and turning my camera to fast make me see a lot of frame tear; I want a bigger refresh rate.
    Color is important to but I have a TN monitor and I’m quite comfortable with the color. Currently I own a Asus VG245HE.
    Currently my computer setup includes a i7700k and a nvidia 1060 6gb, if my setup changes in the near future I will keep on nvidia side.

What can you tell me to choose a almost perfect monitor, as I believe there will be no perfect one?

PCM2

Hi yardern (user profile deleted, now “Anonymous”),

I’ve merged your thread with a suitable existing thread on the topic. I wouldn’t recommend either of the models you’re considering, because the Dell S2716DG is in my view a superior alternative. All but the oldest revisions of the Dell have a much smoother (less grainy) screen surface than the ASUS PG278Q(R) and Acer XB271HUA. This has a significant impact on image quality, although it’s something I’m personally very sensitive to and I know not everyone is (some other users certainly are as well). The PG278Q(R) and XB271HUA both have a lot of variability in their gamma handling. Some units are similar to our PG278R test unit (which is good), but most give a washed out image that’s uncorrectable via the OSD. You can calibrate around this or tweak gamma in various ways to try to overcome this issue, but no amount of calibration is going to change the screen surface. Which is where the Dell has a clear advantage (pun intended).

I’d suggest waiting for the AOC AG273QCG if you’re waiting for a newer alternative that should offer more consistent and good gamma handling. I’m currently reviewing this model but the review is under NDA until the end of the year or early next year. As this thread and the responsiveness section of the ViewSonic XG2703-GS and AOC AG271QG highlight, though, the responsiveness is actually very good. The difference is nowhere near as dramatic as the ‘1ms’ vs. ‘4ms’ might suggest – never pay much attention to specified response times, they’re increadibly misleading.

Anonymous

the ViewSonic XG2703-GS is very good monitor against the acer and asus ; I am, asking because I don’t know

PCM2

It is, if you get a good unit. You need to be aware of quality control issues with all monitors on the markets these days, but they’re something that the high refresh rate AHVA (IPS-type) models are very well known for. This is mentioned further up this thread (have a read). And that includes the ViewSonic XG2703-GS. The review will give you a very good idea of what to expect, you can clearly see there’s a lot to like about the monitor. And you’re very wise to understand that no monitor is perfect – that’s a good thing to identify. Expect some backlight bleed, expect ‘IPS glow’, perhaps some uniformity issues. But also expect a significant upgrade from your current monitor in terms of responsiveness, resolution and colour quality. There’s a lot of enjoyment to be had from these sorts of monitors, you just need to set realistic expectations for yourself.

Anonymous

ViewSonic XG2703-GS has less problems from Acer Predator XB271HU and ASUS ROG PG279Q ;

it has better colors from these 2 monitors;

PCM2

Sort of. I’d suggest reading through this thread which runs through the ‘ins’ and ‘outs’ of the main IPS-type options. The ASUS PG279Q has the worst quality control of all of them, you’re more likely to have issues with it. The Acer XB271HU sometimes has gamma issues that aren’t correctable with the OSD (so it’s a lottery with that – just like with many of the TN models). You are by no means guaranteed a perfect ViewSonic XG2730-GS or AOC AG271QG, but the odds are better than with the PG279Q and the calibration seems to be consistently good without gamma issues – unlike the XB271HU.

Anonymous

so from these 3 monitors Acer Predator XB271HU , ASUS ROG PG279Q and ViewSonic XG2703-GS which you would buy if you were to my position for to buy one new gaming monitor; because tomorrow I will buy new monitor

also do you believe that Acer Predator XB271HU , ASUS ROG PG279Q have the worst quality control if we want to compare these 2 monitors with ViewSonic XG2703-GS ;in all terms;;

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 529 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.