Wide gamut 144Hz 1440p models

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    c0032

Monitor List

The LG 27GL850 seems to have very weak blacks, both according to reviews and some buyers I talked with, so I put that on the bottom. The ViewSonic VX2758-2kp-mhd seems like a budget alternative and if the others offer some better features, I would rather buy them.

The Gigabyte FI27Q seems to have limitations when it comes to 144hz / 10bit unless you pay a 200 € premium for DP 1.4 and some sort of local dimming solution (and nothing else). Seeing how little information I can actually find about these limitations, I don’t really like how they are going about this. It’s still probably the one I would buy right now.

BenQ EX2780Q is simply known for good consistency in quality so nothing else considered I would buy from them. The Pixio Prime PX7 is a bit cheaper but it is lacking many features (including an sRGB emulation mode, apparently) and I would have to wait (Germany).

Pixio and GigaByte are also factory OC’d to 165hz (with FreeSync) so that might be a buying point for future proofing.
      Also, among these monitors, only LG and GigaByte offer a Windows configuration tool which I find very convenient. More convenient than the gimmick remote on the BenQ.

I’m wondering if there are any points about these monitors that I have to know or would otherwise regret.

Thanks for any advice.

PCM2

Hi c0032 and welcome,

I was initially going to merge this thread with another as there are existing discussions which cover these models. But I feel this thread is a nice way to re-focus and bring a few other models into the mix which aren’t really covered so much elsewhere. Some important take-aways based on the models you’re looking at:

– The ViewSonic VX2758-2kp-mhd, Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q, BenQ EX2780Q and Pixio Prime PX7 all use a variant of the same panel family, the InnoLux M270KCJ AAS (Azimuthal Anchoring Switch) LCD.

– The LG 27GL850 instead uses an LG Display LM270WQA Nano IPS panel.

– Although there’s more to a monitor than just the panel used, that still dictates some of the key performance characteristics and boundaries of performance.

– The LG panel has a slightly smoother screen surface texture. Not a huge difference nor an issue for most users, but something I observed myself when comparing the two. The Innolux panel has just a little more ‘misty graininess’ to it than the LG Display panel. But it’s actually slightly ‘lighter’ (lower haze, slightly less ‘layered’) so some may slightly prefer one and some the other.

The LG Nano IPS model(s) have weaker static contrast than the Innolux panel models. But to say “very weak blacks” is pretty misleading. On average you’re talking about a difference in contrast of ~800:1 with ~1200:1. That may look like quite a bit of a difference on paper, but neither is going to wow you. Especially when you’re adding ‘IPS glow’ into the equation. Though if you get one of the models with Innolux panel and also have decent dark uniformity then I do feel the boost in contrast can be appreciated.

The LG panels are faster. They achieve superior pixel responses without the level of aggressive pixel overdrive required on the models using the InnoLux panel. The Gigabyte AD27QD we reviewed really highlights the sort of overshoot levels you can expect with the Innolux panel, especially at reduced refresh rates – or the issues with much slower than optimal pixel responses you may suffer from if using weaker pixel overdrive settings. This is reinforced in our review of the ViewSonic XG270QG, using the LG Display Nano IPS panel. The 165Hz-capable FI27Q is a bit faster natively than the 144Hz-capable AD27QD, but it still isn’t as fast as the LG with the same low overshoot levels.

The fact that the Gigabyte FI27Q lacks DP 1.4 is a complete non-issue in practice. The FI27Q-P, not available in all regions, adds this in at a premium. But I’d wager you could have both models side by side and notice no difference whatsoever. For almost all normal usage you’re either running 8-bit content (SDR) or you’re running 10-bit HDR content. For the former, you’re only using an 8-bit signal anyway or you’re using a 10-bit signal but not making good use of it at all. For the latter, you’re using a 10-bit signal in both cases. It’s just that the dithering stage is handled by the monitor in one case (FI27Q) and GPU or system in the other (FI27Q-P). We’ve experienced the two signal types on a broad range of products and documented them in our reviews (including that of the AD27QD) – the end result is very similar in both cases.

So where does that leave you? Out of these options, it’s the 27GL850 that stands out. I feel (and user feedback provided in the thread linked to earlier agrees) that the contrast issues are a bit overblown, mainly by users focusing too heavily on numbers rather than actual real-world comparisons. There are more intricate comparisons that could be made between the Innolux options, but without detailed testing they aren’t comparisons I can make. They’re going to share some obvious similarities and it’s mainly certain additional features and aesthetic points that will separate them out. I do intend to review one a newer model using a high refresh rate Innolux panel at some point, but it may be something not yet released like the Acer XV273U or ASUS XG279Q.

c0032

Thanks, for the quick and thoughtful reply. Think I am going with the GigaByte FI27Q after all (although it’s Saturday, so might as well wait until tomorrow to order).
          Especially since IPS isn’t going to “wow” me I want every bit of contrast I can get.

If I had infinite time, I’d wait for the upcoming 32 inch gaming IPS panels. But who knows if they will be reasonably priced or have other drawbacks?

PCM2

I hope you enjoy the Gigabyte, I look forward to your thoughts when it arrives.

With respect to the upcoming ~32″ high refresh rate IPS alternatives, even if they managed to match the 27″ models in every respect they’re still going to lose out when it comes to pixel density. Having used quite a few ~32″ WQHD models now and indeed ~24″ Full HD models (similar pixel density), I’d say the higher pixel density of the 27″ WQHD options is a nice beneft. It’s very subjective and not everyone would mind the lower pixel density – for some the larger physical size is more welcome. There’s certainly room for both product categories in the market.

c0032

Ok, the Gigabyte arrived. Dropping my experiences here (might post them elsewhere too).

First off, I could NOT get 10 bit and 144hz+ to work together. Nvidia Control Panel disables the 10 bit option once you go over 120hz, which will also disable the HDR flag for both Desktop and games. I am using the included DisplayPort and USB cable, both of which are really short at barely 1.5m, counting the plug.
              Monitor has IPS glow that can also be visible in good lighting conditions. The spot on the top left is particularly annoying, otherwise it is subdued.
              IPS Glow
              There are no dead pixels (checked with pixel grid) and at least on face value, I can see no glaring issues with uniformity other than with pure black due to the aforementioned glow.
              The metal stand feels solid and stays in place but is also easily movable. Just trying to get an even pivot angle can be annoying, although the portrait function itself is welcome.

Copying the values from Rtings (92-93-100, Gamma setting off), the color space of about 95% DCI-P3 provides a great picture. So great I wouldn’t want to go back to a more standard gamut, at least for video games. Nothing is too oversaturated to look unnatural.

Using GSync together with Windows Desktop HDR will randomly make windowed games stutter, even at 120hz. This effect also randomly goes away. I don’t know yet what causes this.
              HDR in general looks washed out and lacking in contrast, as expected, although the alternative color space is still nice to look at. Scenes with lots of blacks look a lot more gray, although the IPS glow is very visible here so the display seems to be at its darkest there. Sekiro looked especially criminal, although I know that the HDR implementation for that game is an obsolete one. I could get at least Dragon Quest 11 to work and look quite good with a dedicated Special K build. Special K has some adjustment values for HDR, so I could make it look quite right, although I do seem to lose information on very light spots. Makes me wonder if other games could be improved the same way for low contrast monitors if similar options were laid bare for them and HDR wasn’t an all-or-nothing affair…
              Special K settings
              DQ11
              (the picture might look a bit low in brightness, but that’s just my phone camera)

As for blur / overshoot, I must say I’m not a big FPS player so I can’t speak for how effective “Balanced” mode is in keeping blur away. I can however attest that the “Speed” setting adds clearly visible overshoot that gets worse with lower framerates.

One big plus for this monitor is the OSD companion software that allows you to create (!), edit and switch between custom profiles. I wish more manufacturers would adopt this solution (plus the creation of new profiles), as it is clearly superior to fiddling around inside the monitor menu.

One big downside of this model, although I knew this beforehand, is the embarrassing gamer tax Gigabyte thought necessary to include. The “ANC” feature only works with aux mics and, although I didn’t test it, tests online show that the quality is nothing to write home about.
              RGB Lighting is too weak to be of use to the actual person in front of the screen, even in a dark room. If this had brighter and even-looking lamps you could use it with an Ambient Lighting feature or have a small light source behind your monitor to make you see better and mitigate IPS glow. But this way, the only thing this component is good for is displaying what an epic gamer you are to bystanders who can look at the back of your monitor. And unless the target group of 9 year olds who happen to have desks not facing any wall and who are willing to spend $500 on a monitor is a lot bigger than is to be expected, Gigabyte deserves a serious slap for these design decisions. It still seemed the best implementation for this panel, so I went for it anyway. But I do wonder what I actually paid for.

PCM2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, c0032. So overall it sounds as if you’re happy with the core image performance (that’s the main thing), in particular the colour reproduction of the FI27Q. That’s good to see! But you’d prefer a cheaper cut down version that offers the same sort of performance without extra features you see as gimmicks (LED lighting feature, ANC etc.) I completely agree with you about LED lighting features that can only be seen from behind the monitor. Having a bright lighting feature that acts as a bias light and illuminates the wall properly behind or around the monitor is very nice and serves a useful purpose – flashy LEDs you only see from behind, less so.

c0032

A weird observation: I have seen in your review that the monitor has a green tint in sRGB mode. In my eyes whites were very noticeably yellow. Until I saved the sRGB profile as a file with the OSD Sidekick, then imported it as a separate profile. Now whites suddenly just look white, even though it’s supposed to be the same profile (I still can’t edit it or see what is enabled). Looks like a bug to me.

PCM2

This thread has been neglected recently, but I’ve shared some information in other threads which I feel is very pertinent to this one. And useful for those considering the sort of monitor this thread focuses on.

This post expands on my thoughts in relation to the comparison between the Innolux AAS IPS-type panels as used in the Gigabyte FI27Q and FI27Q-P and LG Nano IPS panels (ViewSonic XG270QG and LG 27GL850). It also points out that the Gigabyte FI27Q and FI27Q-P don’t just differ due to the latter supporting HBR3, but also in terms of pixel response time tuning.

– The BenQ EX2780Q is a model I feel is worthy of serious consideration in this ‘sector’, given the current price. The price was not so appealing when we reviewed it, but since then it has been reduced and largely stuck to this lower price level. So it’s certainly a strong contender now and has its own unique features (aesthetics, integrated subwoofer, IR remote etc.)

– The ASUS XG279Q actually uses an AUO AHVA panel, not Innolux AAS IPS-type. Based on some reviews and user feedback I’ve seen over the past few months, it’s responsive and offers good colour reproduction and decent contrast. There are some possible issues with inverse ghosting, although that may have been a complaint from a hyper-sensitive user as it doesn’t seem to be a common complaint. I’ve seen quite a few mentions that the screen surface is a touch on the grainy side, though, which is something I’m personally quite sensitive to and I know some others are.

roczi

I am glad i stumbled into this thread. I am now in the midst of choosing a decent but good value PC monitor for the first time, for gaming, entertainment and light video editing.

I am now still enjoying the Dell S2740L for many yrs (1080p 27″ 60hz IPS) but wanted to upgrade to 1440p gaming, all sorts of genres, including triple A, FPS, multimedia and content creation. Am looking at 1440p 144hz+ IPS (the so called sweet spot)

after reading the many technologies between monitors (so many details, my gosh.. and i have not finish educating on them, still a layman on monitor knowledge), i sort of see that reviewers are saying the following :

LG 27GL850 – the highest praise, beat all others but the most expensive. i definitely won’t be getting this at their premium price. rave reviews though, on top charts.

LG 27GL83A – seems to be the next best alternative LG. but still pricey.

ViewSonic VX2758-2kp-mhd – good budget, lesser features. i was considering between this and BenQ, because the price is good.

BenQ EX2780Q – seems like tons of reviews on this model. slightly better than the viewsonic, bit more pricey, but seems like overall best with price & performance & features in consideration. seems to fit my needs for a bit of everything. so i may just pay a bit more unless there are better performance monitor at the same price.

Pixio Prime PX7 – another one suggested for good budget alternative.

i would like to stay budget, but not compromise quality. but i know this is not possible. quality comes at a price as usual. budget monitors, all come with some weaker performance in one area or the other. so i face a real dilemma and overloaded with info of technical details to consider. i also see service quality mentioned by others who rated 1 or 2 stars in amazon or local ecommerce sites, but this hardware quality lottery is out of our control, so will not consider it.

if you all have any suggestion, recommendation or advice, i welcome to hear them on how you would choose your 1440p 144hz IPS monitor over those mentioned or better alternative. thanks for reading.

on the same note i would like to share about these 2 which fits in this thread category that you may not heard of :
                      SuperSolid R270i (1440p 144hz IPS 5ms overdrive)
                      Prism+ F270i Pro (1440p 144hz IPS 5ms GTG, 1ms MPRT (there used to be 165hz variants))
                      – these are rebranded by local Singapore PC builder companies & (perhaps QC locally too) so there are no reviews overseas. there are some local reviews from singapore pc forums but very few and there aren’t indepth testings, comparisons or benchmarks. showrooms are closed due to human malware situation. And all the reviews on their own websites are 95% positive. I don’t really trust these yet, because they seem to give a review right after receiving the product. we don’t see what happens few months later, and I am not sure whether they are casual gamers, not content creators etc.

the good thing is, their costs are much much lower. even lower than the viewsonic, which is the least expensive in the above list. naturally because there is no import fees, no international shipping involved. like what some has mentioned, while specs, numbers and benchmarks gives a good gauge, real world usage and experience is more important, so a professional monitor reviewer would let me make a more informed decision. sadly there are none. just a few youtube videos.

PCM2

Hi roczi,

I think it’s a misleading generalisation to say the LG 27GL850 “beats all others” and certainly misleading to say the 27GL83A is the “next best”. It depends what you’re after in a monitor. As pointed out in this thread and highlighted in more detail in this post, which is linked to in my previous reply, there are definite strengths and weaknesses to the LG models compared to others with the Innolux panel. It can’t be understated that, provided you get a unit with decent dark uniformity, the static contrast difference between those LG models and those using the Innolux panel is something that users can quite readily appreciate. It isn’t an astronomical difference, but as highlighted in that post from the other thread it is definitely something to consider. I probably downplayed this a bit too much in my initial post on this thread, but experience is a good mentor and having seen a model with Innolux panel and good dark uniformity it was quite clear to me that there’s a difference there that can be appreciated. Impressions from users who have tried both models also reflect this, especially if they are lucky enough to get a model with Innolux panel and decent dark uniformity.

For pixel responsiveness the LG models are indeed good – the LG Nano IPS panel is a fast one. And the ViewSonic XG270QG is potentially even better in that respect due to its variable overdrive and more careful pixel response tuning across a wide range of refresh rates. As for the LG 27GL83A, it offers a distinctly different experience due to its colour gamut and some users seem to have gamma issues with it as well. It doesn’t belong in this thread for consideration as a model with a ‘wide color gamut’ as it simply doesn’t have one! And not everyone finds it to be such a wonderful product – if you want vibrant colour output it’s far from being a good choice.

I have no experience with the Singapore-specific models you’ve mentioned so can’t help you there, but they will be sharing the Innolux panel of others in this thread most likely. So it’s up to you whether to take a chance on them, if they’re significantly cheaper. Monitors are a bit of a minefield, though, it’s sometimes worth paying more for a product that has been properly put through its paces (models we’ve reviewed or commented on extensively being a good start).

Hanon

Hello again. There is plenty of monitors featuring the famous AAS panel from Innolux and I was wondering about which one has seen the best optimization out of the ones you have tried in PC monitors.

Models that include the panel are the famous Acer VG270UP, VG271UP, XV272UP, Benq EX2780Q, Gigabyte FI27 variants ,(excluding the old AD27QD), Pixio PX Prime and probably couple more I might be missing.

Would be great to hear from you experience with the models you have tested.

PCM2

I’ve merged your thread with this one as it’s a suitable place and it doesn’t need its own. Really, “best” is far too general and it really depends what you’re after. But some general points:

– There are definite similarities between many of those models due to the panels used.

– I make my recommendation of the FI27Q-P quite clear on this thread and in the review and don’t recommend the FI27Q for the same reason as the AD27QD. Poor pixel overdrive tuning, too much overshoot or lacklustre performance depending on setting selected. The ‘P’ is well-balanced using its optimal setting and the 165Hz panel is natively slightly faster than the 144Hz one, which helps it achieve reasonable results with less overshoot in comparison. The 165Hz refresh rate gives a slight edge in ‘connected feel’ and perceived blur at suitable refresh rates, as covered in the review.

– The EX2780Q is a key recommendation on this thread, various others and elsewhere. It’s a good all-round performer with some potentially nice unique features. Including its aesthetics, integrated subwoofer and IR OSD remote.

– The Acer VG270UP is one you’ve used yourself (I haven’t) but it has its own thread.

– The Acer VG271UP has poor pixel overdrive tuning for similar reasons to the FI27Q (not P) and AD27QD.

– The Acer XV272U P seems decent enough from user feedback, not much more to go on. A user who tested both this and the BenQ to compare two models using the same panel. He ended up keeping the latter as he felt it was better optimised in terms of responsiveness and liked its LBL settings. His Acer also had a flickering issue but it may have been a fault and not something you’d expect from all XV272U Ps.

– The Pixio PX7 Prime in my eyes is decent but inferior to the BenQ.

PCM2

The Dell S2721DGF isn’t covered in this particular thread but is certainly a relevant model to consider. It’s receiving some excellent and positive reviews from users and the likes of RTINGS and Hardware Unboxed. This thread focuses on the Dell model. I summarise the key findings of the RTINGS review here and provide a critique of the Hardware Unboxed review here. I have no particular issue with their findings on the Dell, in isolation, but I don’t really agree with the comparison they draw with the XG270QG.

The LG 27GN850 isn’t mentioned either, but this performs similarly to the 27GL850. It’s just a minor refresh with slight aesthetic changes and fewer ports. Also worthy of note is the ViewSonic XG270Q which appears to use the new AUO panel (new ‘K7E’ variant Innolux panel confirmed). New generation AUO panels are seen in a few others like the ASUS XG279Q, Acer XB273U GS and MSI MAG274QRF-QD. Products using this panel tend to be a touch pricier than some others, but the panel is capable of superior pixel responsiveness to the LG Nano IPS panels with a slight edge in contrast as well. Not as high as the Innolux panels when it comes to contrast, but not too far off. I’ve yet to review any models using this panel myself.

Edit: Another option brandishing a new (and impressively fast) AUO AHVA panel is the MSI G273QF. I’ve added a few points in a later post.

PCM2

I’ve already linked to enough other threads here so instead I will directly copy some information that is pertinent to this thread. It relates to how the wide gamut of a monitor is achieved and some implications for backlight implementation and viewing comfort. Particularly important with respect to the Nano IPS models. It also gives a broad nod towards improvements to quality control in the newer models vs. older generation high refresh rate AUO AHVA panels:

“I don’t have any particular concerns with the quality control of the LG 27GL850. As I’ve said in other threads I think it’s a well-rounded product in terms of vibrant colour output and responsiveness. Its main weakness is contrast, but it doesn’t have any particular quality control issues beyond what you’d see from competing products. ‘IPS glow’ is a given and in isolation it doesn’t change between units – it is brought out more strongly if you have a lot of backlight bleed or clouding, but the LG isn’t really any more prone to that than any competing model. It’s certainly not looking like these LG Nano IPS or other comparable panels for the new generation are repeating the clearly below-average quality control of the original AUO AHVA panels. Seen in the likes of the ASUS PG279Q.

I don’t mean to muddy the waters too much and this is something that only really affects a minority of users. But I’ve received a few complaints related to viewing comfort on the LG Nano IPS models. As I mention in the BenQ EX2780Q review, the Innolux panel the BenQ uses has a shifted peak of blue light that is less energetic than usual. Helpful for viewing comfort. It’s also interesting to note that some models using new AU Optronics panels, such as the MSI MAG274QRF-QD, Acer XB273U GX and XB323U GP/GX offer a Quantum Dot backlight solution with very generous colour gamut. This offers very strong peaks of both green and red energy that actually overpowers the blue peak, essentially like having an effective Low Blue Light (LBL) setting all the time but with a very balanced spectral output. The LG Nano IPS panels have a relatively strong and high-energy (dominant) blue light peak and some people find that uncomfortable in comparison.”

PCM2

Another reference that’s useful for this thread is the Gigabyte M27Q, which uses a Sharp panel not seen in other products covered here. I’ll just copy the following thoughts on that over from another thread for reference, which reflects some of the findings of the Hardware Unboxed review of this model:

The average response times aren’t really the important thing to focus on, although they still play a role and ideally they’d be as low as possible. But it’s crucially important to look at the highest response times. That’s where the more pronounced weaknesses occur, the ones that might catch the eye. The Gigabyte M27Q, with its Sharp panel, sits some way between the Innolux panels and LG Nano IPS panels when it comes to the slowest pixel responses performed. Actually, at 7-8ms it’s a lot closer to the LG Nano IPS panels (~5ms) than it is to the Innolux panels (>12ms). Although there are quite a few transitions with the Gigabyte that are >6ms which isn’t really ideal.

Your question about how important all of this is is exactly why I prefer subjective and visual analysis in my reviews. People also become obsessed with the “refresh rate window” and don’t realise that being inside that isn’t sufficient for optimal performance at all. You need pixel responses to be around half the refresh cycle for optimal performance. For example, 16ms transitions at 60Hz provide very clear weaknesses despite being within the refresh window for 60Hz. At 170Hz you’d ideally have pixel transitions that are around 3ms, but most transitions being comfortably below 5ms (as with the LG Nano IPS panels) is a very good start. The figures provided by Hardware Unboxed are useful, if interpreted correctly. But the nice thing is they also provide some pursuit photographs which give a nice visual look at things and offer a window for you to compare for yourself with models we’ve reviewed. You can see them 9:47 on their M27 video. Notice how the ‘powdery trailing’ is more pronounced than on the ViewSonic XG270QG (165Hz, Nano IPS) but much less pronounced than on the Gigabyte FI27Q-P (165Hz, Innolux AAS).

So really, the Gigabyte M27Q strikes a decent balance with its pixel responses for people who want a decent performance right across the refresh rate range without worrying about overshoot. Although I’d agree with Hardware Unboxed’s assessment that an overdrive mode between ‘Picture Quality’ and ‘Balance’ would’ve been nice for superior high refresh rate performance. The Nano IPS models provide a bit of an upgrade in terms of pixel responsiveness, but not a massive one. You may or may not notice that. And you’re sacrificing contrast by going that route. One thing to be aware of with the Sharp panel is that it uses a BGR rather than RGB subpixel layout. That can affect text clarity. It shouldn’t cause major issues on Windows once you’ve run through the ClearType wizard, but there can still be some minor imperfections even after doing that.

PCM2

We’ve now published our review of the Gigabyte M27Q. This really just reinforces my thoughts in the previous post but adds a lot of colour to things. It’s another model that offers a significant and for some quite noticeable boost in contrast over models using LG’s Nano IPS panels (e.g. ViewSonic XG270QG, 27GL850 and Dell S2721DGF), typically ~400:1 higher. One point I didn’t see adequately addressed in other reviews is the screen surface. Which is fortunately very light and relatively smooth – in fact I slightly prefer this to the surface used on competing Nano IPS models. The responsiveness certainly isn’t miles away from the Nano IPS models and it’s unlikely most users could tell the difference. It offers a respectable 170Hz performance and performs well across its entire VRR range without clear overshoot. The colour gamut is a bit different as well. It offers better Adobe RGB coverage and offers extra ‘pop’ to greens compared to the models with Nano IPS and Innolux AAS panels discussed in this thread. But less extension past sRGB in the red region. Overall all of these solutions offer strong vibrancy, with an edge there for green-biased shades for the Gigabyte M27Q and red-biased shades for the others.

It appears that, for whatever reason, the M27Q doesn’t support 2560 x 1440 @120Hz on the Xbox Series X (edit: it does now, with the newer firmware). So the BenQ EX2780Q is a model I’d continue to recommend for console gaming. I’ve continued to receive plenty of positive feedback from PC users of the BenQ as well. And it offers a few potential advantages over the Gigabyte such as the inclusion of integrated speakers and subwoofer, the IR remote and regular RGB subpixels without ‘fringing’ issues. Although I make it clear in the M27Q review that I see this ‘fringing’ as a minor issue that most will not find bothersome. And some may just find the rustic design quite endearing on the BenQ. The Gigabyte certainly offers superior pixel responsiveness to the BenQ, though, and superior ergonomics with the included stand.

Another model users might have in mind is the MSI MAG274QRF-QD with its AUO AHVA panel. This isn’t a model I specifically recommend for reasons covered in this post. The main issue is that it commonly has problematic gamma handling, without any way to adequately correct this in the OSD. This is a pet hate of mine, although the gamma tracking on that model is not exactly terrible either. It also lacks an sRGB emulation setting and has a very generous colour gamut indeed for strong saturation and vibrancy, with the QD backlight providing a pretty similar colour gamut to the XB323U GP we’ve reviewed. Contrast is quite comparable to the Gigabyte, just a touch weaker. The main strength of the MSI MAG274QRF-QD is pixel responsiveness – the new generation AUO AHVA panel is very impressive in that respect, as noted further up this thread.

Danierucruz

I want to buy a good monitor, I found only these models, and I need help to decide the best option.

BENQ EX2780Q – $440
                                      • LG 27GN800-B – $400
                                      • LG 27GN850-B – $450
                                      • ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD – $300
                                      Gigabyte M27Q – $330

I was thinking between in BENQ and LG 27GN850-B, but I am not an expert.

PCM2

Danierucruz,

I’ve merged your thread with an existing one which comprehensively covers this. There was no need to create another thread and in doing so you ignored the forum rules. See point 5. Search for models you’re discussing and see whether they’re discussed – which they are, in threads like this one. I appreciate it’s easy to overlook this, but just bear it in mind in future. 🙂

The only model not discussed here is the LG 27GN800, but that’s because it isn’t a wide gamut model. It is simply a mild refresh of the 27GL83A. Just as the 27GN850 is a mild refresh of the 27GL850, which is a good thing to bear in mind when reading through this thread.

River

Hi there, PCMonitors has been my source for monitor information and buying guidance for several years now. I appreciate the hard work and meticulous methodology you put into your reviews, glad to see you’re still going, keep up the good work!

I was hoping you could help me with a decision. I became interested in BenQ’s EX2780Q since I watched your review and read the article you posted on it. I have watched that review at least five times now and scrolled up and down the review article several more times. The monitor seems to tick all the boxes that concern me except for the pixel response times which are inferior to LG’s Nano IPS panels. However, I am not willing to compromise static contrast for pixel response times. Though this would make the obvious choice the EX2780Q, I’m not really in a hurry and I like to wait for the most suitable option to come along.

Then I came across one of your replies to a user on this thread indicating that the same makers of the EX2780Q’s panel would be coming out with a faster panel “soon”, as the following quote is from last July:

Innolux have a faster variant of their panel coming out soon and I’d expect to see models using that later in the year.

Now I’m wondering if it is worth waiting to see if this new panel variant will deliver the same (or improved) specifications as the EX2780Q but with improved pixel response times – ironing out the main shortcoming of the panel. Perhaps if we’re lucky there will even be an improved backlighting system but I am not that optimistic.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I wait to see the potential of this new panel or get an already great monitor?

PCM2

Hi there River,

I appreciate the kind words. 🙂

The new Innolux panel I had in mind was the M270KCJ-K7E (the BenQ uses the M270KCJ-K7B). One particular model I’m aware of that uses this is the Acer XV272U V, although it seems that model may use a mixture of these two panels. Availability is sparse and I haven’t seen any firm data or detailed feedback on how it perfoms. It’s also used in the upcoming or (very newly released in some markets) XV272U KV and should also be used in its upcoming Predator brother with RGB lighting – the XB273U NV. I intend to review at least one of these models once availability improves. I don’t know of an upcoming model from BenQ or others with this panel, but I do know BenQ are still selling the EX2780Q very happily and most users are satisfied with its performance.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.