Aorus FI27Q-P vs Viewsonic XG270QG (27" 1440p IPS Showdown)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.

• Author
    PCM2

I hope you enjoy the monitor. As I said by email and I might as well share here, I suspect the pricing will look very different on and after Black Friday. I don’t know what the returns policy is like from the place you ended up using, but hopefully you don’t need to worry about that. Amazon’s is second to none and they’re even more generous than usual this time of year.

Lenxal

I just ordered the XG270QG as well the other day. I contacted viewsonic and they said the $783 price was a typo.

PCM2

Welcome, Lenxal.

The above would also apply to you. If you found the review useful then please consider supporting our work. I’m not trying to nag or pressure and it’s entirely your decision. But I need to make sure people are aware that a lot of time and effort went into the review and goes into running the website in general. And we aren’t supported by people simply viewing the content and buying from ‘elsewhere’. We’re not compensated by monitor manufacturers in any way when we review products – the products are sent as samples which we return to the manufacturer. With very few exceptions.

Either way, I hope you enjoy the monitor as well. I appreciate you coming here to report you’ve got the monitor and confirm that you were told by ViewSonic that the Amazon price was a typo. Thoughts on the monitor would be a welcome addition to this thread, of course.

uncia

As you’ve been comparing current 27-inch 144Hz 1440p offerings, I thought I’d ask about the Benq EX2780Q. Do you happen to know which panel is used, the LG with Nano IPS and 98% DCI-P3 coverage or the Innolux with 95% DCI-P3 coverage? The latter had strange quirks I couldn’t get past when I tested the Acer model that uses it. Your review noted some characteristics unusual to most IPS panels. I agree it was a bit strange, though the colors were vibrant. If the LG were not lacking in both peak brightness and contrast, I’d be more keen on purchasing it at this point. I almost did months ago, but a cart mix up on Amazon prevented it. Now, I’ve been reconsidering. Is the Benq a better version when compared to LG? If it uses the Innolux, I’ll skip it. Though at a $100 premium over LG’s offering, I don’t know what it can provide that makes it worth it. HDR400 certification? Barely worthwhile, but maybe a sign of better production quality utilizing the same panel. They do state a 95% DCI-P3 coverage though, which lends to the presumption it’s the Innolux instead.

PCM2

That’s correct, the 95% DCI-P3 coverage indicates that the InnoLux panel is used on the BenQ. As a reminder for others reading the thread I think it would be worth revisiting the quirks with the InnoLux panel you were referring to. The only model with such a panel we’ve reviewed is the Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD. My main point of concern with that one was the high level of overshoot (not everyone notices/cares about this). The model you tested and provided excellent feedback on was the Acer XV272U P which uses the Innolux panel.

Revisiting your points, it sounds like the Acer could’ve had badly calibrated gamma (too high). Although you were unimpressed with the off-angle performance as well, due to some clear luminance shifts. My own testing off-angle in the review was quite brief as it’s not applicable to most users, but I noticed slightly stronger brightness shifts as viewing angles became sharper as well. Not a clear difference and possibly down to the higher base in static contrast on the Innolux panel. Even models with IPS-type panels aren’t immune to this sort of contrast loss and gamma shifts off-angle. It’s potentially problematic if you’re not always sitting in front of the monitor at a desk. If it’s specifically a ‘hazing’ effect you dislike, I’m not really sure you’d be happy with the LG Nano IPS model in that respect. The relatively weak static contrast can gve quite an intense off-angle haze, actually. The saturation shifts are less noticeable on the LG, it’s difficult to capture that on a video unfortunately.

InnoLux AAS IPS-type:

LG Nano IPS:

s1blyx

Update: got the FI27Q-P yesterday and 27GL850 came today.
    https://imgur.com/D8w4v2g

I will post my impression around Monday or Tuesday after I play with them a little bit, but don’t expect any measurements since I don’t have the tools to do it. I will compare them side to side (written, no photos because there is only so much I can do with the phone), share my decision on which one I will keep and why, compare the picture quality to retina display of my Macbook. I also have LG 24GM77, which a 144Hz TN display so I will throw that in too. Exciting times! 😀

PCM2

Very much looking forward to your thoughts! This is becoming a very interesting ‘InnoLux AAS IPS-type’ vs. ‘LG Nano IPS’ thread. 🙂

uncia

That is an interesting comparison you made. I’d imagine I would have to see both side by side to truly make a judgment on which I prefer. I’d meant to give the LG a chance, but it’s been out of stock for a long time again on Amazon. I was hoping it would be available for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. B&H Photo as well as NewEgg supposedly have it in stock, but I’d rather not purchase through either though. For one, you don’t get the referral credit. Second, the purchase is more secure with Amazon. You know you can return it, and they’ll pay shipping. So I’m trying to wait. My fear is that LG has given up on the higher-level model and is just producing the cheaper version now. I hope that’s not the case.

Something else odd with the Acer was how much black crush there was. I kept trying to dial in settings so whites didn’t get lost or blacks didn’t get crushed. Nothing was helping. I tried everything I could think of, and it was not ideal. I’m wondering if Acer just did a bad job with early adoption of that panel. Perhaps they’ve improved since? Off-angle viewing was bad, at almost TN levels of bad. I was purposely comparing my old TN to it. True, it wasn’t quite as bad, but … it was easily close to as noticeable as a VA. I don’t know how much it was color shift and how much was luminosity. The color seemed to hold together better than the luminosity, I suppose. Neither were great improvements over what I’m used to. Thus my dissatisfaction.

I’ve really hoped to try out the LG Nano IPS and see what I think of it in person. As much as I enjoy the contrast of VA, I prefer everything else a good IPS has to offer. Since I only purchase a monitor once in a blue moon, I want it to be a good one. Thus my year-long journey. Who does that? I sometimes think us techy types are overly OCD or something.

I hope s1blyx can provide some first-person perspective with the two monitors they’re testing. I’d be interested to see the results.

s1blyx

As I promised, here is my review of the FI27Q-P and 27GL850. I also included standard FI27Q in a few places since I had a month ago. Be prepared for quite a lot of text so if you just want to jump to a conclusion, scroll to the bottom where you can find the tl;dr section and final words 🙂
    If someone has any questions, please ask. Also, I will post the same review on a few other sites so you might find it in other places too.

So here we go…

Build quality and packaging

The packaging is definitely better with Aorus. The box the monitor comes in is enormous and the monitor is well secured with thick styrofoam. Now, don’t fear, it’s not like the LG is not protected or anything like that. It’s just that Gigabyte upped the whole thing to another level. One thing I liked, even though I don’t personally need it is that Gigabyte sends two types of power cables with it, for UK type of socket and the other one for, I dunno, rest of Europe? 😀 With LG which I ordered from German Amazon, I got only the standard power cable (standard for my country).
    Panels on their own feel quite good under the hands, but Aorus has a more premium feel to it and it’s heavier if that accounts for something. When it comes to stands, Aorus wins this one easily. The stand on for Aorus is a damn beast looks nice (at least to me), it’s made of metal and very sturdy. The LG one is quite… disappointing, but it does the job. One thing to mention is that LG’s stand doesn’t support the swivel function. To end the talk about stands, the one from Aorus is easier to operate. LG feels quite stiff when trying to do anything with the panel. But it’s not something you will be doing a lot of times anyway. I’m not really bothered by that because I have a monitor arm waiting for my double monitor setup.

One thing I really like about the design of the LG is the position of ports. They are very easy to access because they are positioned on the backside of the monitor. If you stand above the monitor you can see all the ports and don’t have to guess their positions. Aorus, on the other hand, has all the ports below the panel which makes them harder to access, and we all know how annoying that can be on monitors.
    Aorus also has RGB lights, for some reason. If they already bothered putting them own, why didn’t they make them like ambient lights so they would actually serve some purpose? But ok, that’s personal preference and lights can be turned off.

OSD

Both monitors have quite good OSDs and well-made desktop companion apps. Both of them have some good and bad points. They use joysticks to navigate which is awesome. And both of them have scenarios where, if you select some picture mode some settings become inaccessible which is quite frustrating when you’re trying to calibrate displays. It took me quite a while to realize how to unlock the r/G/B values on LG for separate customizations (hint: first set Color temp to custom). Desktop apps are both ok. But the one from Aorus, for example, works just fine with the LG monitor turned on and having its own software running at the same time. The LG doesn’t allow that. To use the OnScreen control from LG, first, you need to turn off the Aorus monitor and change the settings in windows to display the picture only on the LG monitor.

LG allows you to set up profiles for games and programs, but it’s very limited in that regard. I couldn’t find a way of custom adding games and programs (their .exe files) so I could only choose from a few predefined programs.
    And lastly, one thing to mention is that Aorus allows more picture customizations in wide gamut mode. Somehow it just allows for more control.

Lagom tests: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Test 1: Contrast
    On both monitors all the bars are visible, but to see the first blue bar on both monitors you need to focus a little bit on it. Overall they are both great.

Test 3: Clock and Phase
    I’m not sure what’s the ideal distance at which the pattern should appear fully gray, but on the LG it turns into the fully gray background at 108 cm, while on the Aorus is at around 170 cm.

Test 4: Sharpness
    Again, on LG block blend way, way sooner than on the Aorus while both of them have matched sharpness settings as close as possible. At around three meters, on LG, the blocks are blended in, while on Aorus I can still see them almost clearly.

Test 5: Gamma
    Since I don’t have any tools to calibrate the gamma settings, I have to rely on my eyes and software tools like this. LG wins this one easily. Out of the box and after quite a lot of time spent on calibrating the displays, on the LG the color bars blend nicely at 2.2 value, while on the Aorus they are most of the time in between 2.0 and 2.1.

Test 6: Black level
    Here comes the difference in contrast. With a bit of playing with settings, I can make all of the boxes visible on the Aorus, even though the first one is really, really hard to notice and you need to focus really hard to see it. The second one is close to that, but starting from the third one things get better. On the LG no matter what I do, I can’t make the first two visible without damaging the overall picture quality. The third one is really hard to see and things get better starting from the fourth one.

Test 7: White saturation
    On both monitors, with my preferred settings, the lower right checkerboard pattern is almost not visible without focusing hard on that spot. But I don’t feel like it’s really impacting anything in practice.

Test 8: Gradient banding
    Nothing to report here other than on both monitors the transitions look nice and smooth.

Test 9: Flicker
    No flicker when keeping it at static position (without scrolling up and down) on both screens.

Test 10: Response time
    I can’t notice any flashing on any of the monitors. Animated gifs are enabled.

Dead pixel and color uniformity: http://lcdtech.info/en/tests/dead.pixel.htm

No dead pixel on either of them. LG has somewhat better white color uniformity. It’s pretty white all across the screen area, while on Aorus the left side a bit colder than the right side. But really, it’s something you won’t notice in the practice.

On the full black background is easily visible that LG has less prominent IPS glow than the Aorus. On LG there is a slight glow at the lower left side of the monitor and somewhat the same level of it on the right side. Aorus, on the other hand, has quite a prominent amount of glow on the lower left side, by around 30% more than on the LG, and in games, it became bothersome to me since it eats the details away. Aorus also has a slight glow alongside the whole bottom area of the screen near the monitor frame. It’s nothing bothersome and I don’t notice it if I don’t focus on it, but it’s there, and you might see it very dark games. The right side has less glow than the LG, but again, it’s not like LG has a prominent glow on either side.
    In the end, the LG is better when it comes to IPS glow since while it has it, it’s not so visible as the one in the lower-left corner of the Aorus. I rather have the glow here and there and not being distracting, than having it in one spot, but being really visible in that one spot.

Picture quality

When it comes to displaying the picture and it’s quality, both of them are really, really good. In wide gamut mode, LG has a bit more lively colors than the Aorus, but the difference is really small and it’s something you notice only if you have them side to side. The more I used them, I slowly started liking the LG picture more. The Aorus has a bit more of green color in it, and no matter how hard I tried to make it on the same level as the LG, there was always just a tiny bitsy amount of it more than on the LG one. That’s why the picture on the LG appears more natural to me. But really, it’s something you will hardly notice on its own.

While both of them oversaturate the content in wide gamut model, at the end of the day I liked the LG more since the rendered picture was still a bit more realistic than on the Aorus. But if you like wide gamut monitors and more oversaturated look, you can’t go wrong with either of them. If you have never used a wide gamut monitor, be prepared for strong red and green colors, and it will take you some time to tone them down in settings. Thankfully both monitors allow you to set RGB values independently.

sRGB mode

Ok, at first I felt like LG had far, far better sRGB mode than the Aorus one. But after a while and after my eyes adapted to both of them, I can say that both of them are quite close to each other. The Aorus has a bit warmer sRGB mode, while the LG has a bit colder sRGB mode. So it’s up to you what you like more. But one thing I like on the LG is that it allows you to control the brightness in that mode, while the Aorus locks you up completely out of all picture settings.

Same as before, LG’s sRGB mode displays more natural-looking colors than the Aorus. And I’m now running LG in sRGB mode all the time. Yes, I know, why didn’t I get the 83A version then? Well, for starters in Europe the price difference is really small, 480€ for 83A vs 520€ for 850. And I got 850 mainly out of two reasons, to compare it fully to FI27Q-P and because it has a USB hub which means that I can update the firmware.
    I compared both of them to Dell U2717D and Macbook Pro 2015, 15”. And damn they are close. But for me, the LG won by a small margin. After comparing the picture quality of LG to Macbook, as someone who works as a digital designer, I can safely say that LG’s nano IPS panel with a bit of optimization could be used in some form of a professional monitor. The panel is really, really good and I hope that that one day we might see it, non-gaming monitors, too.

Text rendering
    This is a very, very close match, but I feel like the text is a bit easier to read on the Aorus than on the LG. It feels more… I don’t know what words to use… milder, warmer than on the LG? I don’t know how to describe it.
    And if someone is sensitive to how text is displayed, I think that LG might pose some problems for some people in the form of eye strain or headaches. LG feels more… aggressive? Personally I don’t have problems with any of them, but just so you know if your eyes are more sensitive to monitors the Aorus would be a better choice.

Response times, input lag and gaming experience

Ok, so now I have in front of me what’s regarded the fastest IPS 27” 1440p IPS panel and FI27Q-P which uses the same panel as AD27QD, which is regarded as too slow for high refresh gaming. Again, I don’t possess any hardware tools to measure the speeds so everything written here is by just observing things with my naked eyes and muscle memory. If you read a few reviews (like one or two) of FI27Q/P, you will see that panel in FI27Q and FI27Q-P is better optimized than in the AD27QD. They mention that it achieves speeds of 6.1 ms on average, which is enough for 144Hz gaming. For LG there are enough reviews with measurements so you can more easily find them and by all of them, it’s the fastest IPS panel.

But in practice, I really needed to focus hard to notice the difference between the panels in motion. I tried Quake Champions, R6 Siege, CoD: MW (the new one), PUBG, CS:GO and many more, and they both feel pretty much the same. Yes, the LG is a bit faster, but believe me, when I say this, you can hardly notice that if you don’t have them side to side and look at the same content on both of them at the same time. I set my settings in windows to mirror the same screen on both of them and had them set up like that since five days ago. I also asked my friend to give his opinion on them about the responsiveness and he said the same thing; that they are pretty much identical, but LG feels just a tiny bit more connected.
    I set Aorus to Balanced and LG to fast. If LG is set to Fastest there is an enormous amount of overshoot, while on Aorus, on it’s Speed setting (which the highest one) there is a more visible overshoot, but not by an amount as it on LG. But in the end, none of them is really usable on their highest settings so keep that in the middle and you’re good to go.

And overdrive works like a charm on both of them. I didn’t experience any noticeable overshoot in any of the games when the fps was bellow 144Hz, at 100, at 80 and at 60. Around 60 the overshoot was a tiny bit more noticeable in some cases on Aorus than on the LG, but that’s something you most probably won’t see if you’re not starring from 20-30 cm away fo the screen and searching for it. Below 50, both of them are quite unpleasant to use because everything feels laggy. No overdrive will save you from bad experiences of low fps, no matter if you have G-Sync or FreeSync. G-Sync will make that range a bit better, but everything will still feel off. In any case, I didn’t experience any image tearing.

Prior to the FI27Q-P I had the normal FI27Q. Overshoot there was more noticeable than on the P version. I’m not sure what’s with that, but I remember seeing overshoot where I didn’t see it with the P version. And my memory is quite fresh since I had it like a month ago. In the meantime the firmware got updated so maybe is that, but who knows.

I also compared them to my 24” 144Hz TN monitor, LG 24GM77. While the TN was faster, it wasn’t by a large amount. With these two you get better colors, better contrast and overall better monitor for everyday use. If you’re playing only competitively and need every single advantage you can get or you feel, then sure, get one of the 240Hz panels.

So my conclusion when it comes to response times is that both of them are really close, no matter what the numbers say, you can’t really go wrong with either of them. If you’re very sensitive to blur, the LG is a bit better in that regard.
    LG is also faster overall, and by that, I don’t mean the games, but the things like powering on, alt-tabbing out of the games, applying settings, etc.

Contrast, oh that contrast drama

I have to say I was a bit scared of the lower contrast numbers in all the reviews, but that’s another reason why I wanted to see them side to side. FI27Q-P has a contrast of 1100+:1, while LG is usually around 800:1. If you set a full screen, pure black background, Aorus wins easily. But again, in practice, there is hardly any difference. I tested both of them extensively in Resident Evil 2 and A Plague Tale (which has a lot of dark and light scenes) and they are pretty much the same. Yes, the Aorus is a bit better, but you need to focus hard and look for such differences. If in a game like is the RE2, I could barely find any noticeable difference, in other games that would be even less visible.

Because Aorus has more prominent IPS glow in the lower-left corner of the screen, I actually like the LG more. In dark scenes that glow eats a lot of details away. LG, on the other hand, has a less visible glow. I also tested both of them in other games, like ARMA 3, Hitman 2, Hunt Showdown and again, the difference in dark scenes is pretty much non-existent. Aorus has a very slight edge, but only in places where it doesn’t have the IPS glow. So don’t stress yourself about the low 800:1 number. In practice, you don’t notice that. The same is with the movies. I left the movies to play on both monitors at the same time and there was hardly any difference.

Console gaming
    I also tested both monitors with the PS4 and PS4 Pro. The highest standard PS4 can go is 1080p so the displayed picture will look blurry on both of them, and for me, that’s very bothersome. But PS4 Pro, on the other hand, can output 4K signal (surprise) which means that both monitors can take that 4K signal and downscale it to 1440p which as a result displays a better image than with the standard PS4. The result is still not perfect, but it’s better than with the standard PS4. You just need to set that up correctly in your GPU drivers so that the display takes care of the scaling, not the GPU. You can find the details on that in almost any newer monitor review here.
    Just a heads up, the G-Sync monitors don’t support that so the new XG270QG from Viewsonic won’t have those scaling options. Something I learned here 🙂

The additional stuff

The Aorus has a lot of the so-called “tactical” stuff in it, but personally I don’t need that and haven’t used it. Things like noise-canceling, crosshairs and so on it’s not something I need in monitors, but reviews online mentioned that those functions work quite good actually. LG doesn’t have so many of these additional features, but it has all you might need in a monitor and more. Both of them have their own versions of Black Equalizers, but even though the Aorus costs 200€ more than FI27Q because of it (and 1.4 DP, which LG also has), I like the one on LG more because you can move it by smaller increments. For competitive gaming that’s a nice feature to have because you can counter those campers in dark spots easily 😀
    I tried PIP modes and they all work fine, but it’s not something I use.
    And as I already mentioned, the LG allows you to set up profiles for games and programs, but I could only choose from the predefined ones without the option of adding custom .exe files so that functionality is quite useless in the current state.

TL:DR

FI27Q-P (vs 27GL850):

Pros
    – Very good stand and very good build
    – Slightly better contrast
    – More picture control in a wide gamut
    – Quite good sRGB mode
    – Bunch of additional functionalities (noise canceling, etc.)
    – Colors are good and the monitor is more on the warm side
    – Doesn’t fall behind in responsiveness by a noticeable amount
    – Premium look and feel, it just looks better at least to me
    – Good OSD and desktop app with a lot of controls
    – Slightly better text rendering
    – Comes with a very good packaging
    – Very good picture quality
    – Good scaling options

Cons
    – Costs 200€ more than LG and 180€ more than FI27Q
    – More prominent IPS glow in a lower-left corner which eats the details away in dark scenes
    – Slightly too much of a green tint in picture display, but noticeable only side to side
    – Sometimes still buggy firmware, but not as much as it was on FI27Q and once you set it up it shouldn’t bother you.
    – Takes longer to power on, longer to alt-tab out of the games and longer to display game (by 1 – 3 seconds longer)
    – Too expensive
    – Looks bad if fps falls bellow 50

27GL850 (vs FI27Q-P):

Pros:
    – A bit faster in practice, but you need to focus hard to notice it, but then again, you might just feel it
    – Awesome sRGB mode
    – A bit richer and more natural colors
    – Less prominent IPS glow
    – Costs less
    – Got very lucky with the panel lottery
    – Easily accessible input ports
    – Very good factory calibration
    – Somewhat better overdrive and a bit lower overshoot
    – Cheaper and overall in a very good price range, “just” 520-550€ for such a beast of a monitor
    – Very responsive overall; I don’t mean mainly in games, but powering on, the OSD response and so on. Everything around the monitor feels snappy
    – Good scaling options

Cons:
    – The stand is not as good, doesn’t have a swivel, and it’s quite stiff to operate
    – Doesn’t come with two types of power cables
    – A bit lower contrast, but it’s really hard to notice the difference
    – OnScreen control doesn’t work when Aorus is running
    – Text rendering might be too aggressive for some people
    – Program/games profiles are useless
    – Looks bad if fps falls bellow 50

FI27Q VS FI27Q-P

FI27Q-P shouldn’t even exist. Everything that P has should be in the normal version. The difference in the price of almost 200€ is insane.
    I kinda believe that they cherry-pick panels for FI27Q-P, but it also might be just a case of panel lottery. My FI27Q had more prominent IPS glow than the P one, had backlight bleed near the right side of the screen, a bit more overshoot at around 60 – 75 fps range and at the time the firmware was more buggy (it should be the same for both of them now.).

I’m not sure If I’m allowed to post a link to my Reddit’s post where I’ve described why did I return the FI27Q. If someone wants’s to know, I can copy-paste it here.

Conclusion, which one is better, which one to buy

This is a hard decision. Both of them are quite closely matched, but I feel and think that LG is slightly better. If nothing else, because of the price. I just can’t justify the 200€ difference between the two. Yes, Aorus has slightly better contrast, but then on the other side, I got more lucky with the panel lottery with LG. Maybe on my next purchase, it would be the other way around. In my case, but both the normal FI27Q and FI27Q-P had worse IPS glow than 27GL850.

Also, I think that LG produced the best panel on the market for gaming, be it for casual playing or a (semi) competitive one. Don’t be afraid of the lower contrast ratio because in practice it really doesn’t make a big difference as a lot of people think it does (I was one of them). And I’m quite sensitive to picture quality since it’s also part of my job. It’s not a perfect monitor by any means, but it’s when comparing it’s pros and cons it’s better than anything else I’ve tried (including FI27Q-P, CFG70, PG279Q, and few 24” TN displays, but that was a long time ago).
    Now, I believe that if you get very lucky with the panel lottery the FI27Q-P could be potentially better, but that’s still 200€ more and as I’ve said more times already, that’s just too much.

So here is my final conclusion after four years of waiting for that “perfect” monitor and trying out different monitors in the meantime:

If you want FreeSync / G-Sync Compatible monitor get 27GL850.
    If you want a more affordable option there is 27GL83A, but in Europe, the price difference is really small, just 50€.
    If you want G-Sync monitor get the ViewSonic XG270QG since it uses the same panel.

PCM2

s1blyx,

I can’t thank you enough for your wonderfully comprehensive and insightful comparison. Not just between the FI27Q(-P) and 27GL850, but also the points raised with respect to similar models, such as the Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD. It’s encouraging to see that the ‘Balance’ overdrive setting has been improved from AD27QD to the FI27Q(-P), such that it sounds very useable and well-balanced. That gives me hope for the Acer XV273U, which I’m eyeing up for review.

Just a few things to note. On the Lagom Black Level test, as we mention in reviews it’s usual for monitors with correct ‘2.2’ gamma tracking to show the first few blocks in a very well-blended way. It isn’t necessarily a sign of weak contrast or any particular weakness, whereas visibility for those first few blocks is a sign of gamma being too low. That would correspond with what you observed with the gamma tests as well. Of course, low contrast doesn’t help the distinctiveness of any of these blocks against the background regardless of gamma setup, particularly the darker ones. 🙂

It’s also unfortunate, as you say, that your AORUS sample(s) had some issues with dark uniformity. Backlight bleed and clouding can certainly bring out and exacerbate ‘IPS glow’, it would’ve been “interesting” to see how things were in the absence of such issues. But of course it’s no good relying on getting a sample with really good dark uniformity. As evidence suggests that’s unlikely to happen.

Your post was a very nice addition to this thread and I’m sure others will find it very useful.

s1blyx

I’m glad that you like it 🙂 And I hope that my experience with them will help people in their decisions.

Regarding the Lagom Black Level test, even though the Aorus was between 2.0 and 2.1, I couldn’t notice that in any way in practice. Maybe I just don’t see it, but to me, both of them are more or less equal.

Yeah, it’s too bad that both of the Aorus models had some uniformity and IPS glow issues because in places where everything is clear and not clouded the picture looks very, very good. That’s why I/ve said that FI27Q-P could be potentially better if you get lucky with the panel lottery. But that’s an expensive and tiresome game to play :/

cTn

Hi, i have been watching this thread for a little while (thanks google search), and i just had to make an account 🙂
    @ s1blyx thanks for a really great summary

I do have a question related to a slightly subjective topic, the persistence blur/smearing due to the pixel response time (with black frame insertion disabled).
    – I am using an rather “old” Asus VG248QE which is using an TN panel which i bought quite a while back in the 2013 when it was released
    – I have been trying to buy my self the 27GL850 for past several months (the availability is just horrible in my country)
    – In the end i gave up waiting on the 27GL850 i decided to get my self the FI27Q-P (at a hefty premium, just because i also wanted the DP 1.4 and 2x HDMI 2.0)

– What i noticed right from the start was that on FI27Q-P the persistence/blur while running at 165Hz (tested the overdrive both on balanced and speed), resulting at a much higher blur compared to my old VG248QE.
    – When enabling the blame frame insertion, the perceived blur was much more in line with VG248QE which i run at [email protected]% overdrive.
    – The brightness on the FI27Q-P just felt little bit too much on the lower end (with no good way to adjust it since the brightness control is disabled here)
    – While i can say i didn’t “see” the BFI “strobe”, i could certainly “feel it” and after several hours of playing it felt tiring and in the end i just opted to keep it disabled.
    – Note (This might not be an issue for everyone), but i wasn’t able to get the FI27Q-P running on anything above 120 Hz while using DP in Linux, Windows was fine.

After a few days of testing i decided to return the FI27Q-P as i simply couldn’t get used to the blur in fast-paced games (it felt like a straight and noticeable downgrade for me in terms of perceived blur).

On to my question:
    I don’t do any color critical work (i am sure most panels will now be more color accurate than the VG248QE) as the colors were certainly way more “washed out/popping less” compared to the FI27Q-P.
    I wanted to upgrade to 1440p primarily for work as i can still run the window scaling at 100% on 27″ and then comfortably game on the same monitor.
    Do you think i should continue waiting/trying to get my hands on the 27GL850? (is the difference in response time big enough that it wouldn’t feel so bad compared to my old TN panel?)
    Or should i rather look for a decent 27″ 144Hz LCD with a TN panel instead?

PCM2

Welcome cTn,

It’s worth remembering that the ASUS VG248QE uses PWM to regulate the backlight, as covered in our review. This affects motion clarity in a way that can be both positive and negative. It introduces PWM artifacts. This fragmentation of objects during motion can look rather ugly, but it also has the effect of replacing the smooth PWM-free ‘blur’ with a fragmented trailing that can be perceived as ‘sharper’. It is sort of like a less effective strobe backlight mode of sorts, it can still reduce perceived blur but in a rather artifacty way. It’s also worth differentiating between strobe backlights, a pulsing on and off of the backlight as per the models being discussed here. And BFI (Black Frame Insertion) which is more specifically a software technique that literally inserts black frames rather than pulsing the backlight on and off.

Given that you seem to like the effect of PWM rather than PWM-free performance, you’re going to struggle with modern sample and hold monitors which have for a while been flicker-free. I am assuming this is the case based on what you’ve described with the ‘Speed’ setting on the FI27Q-P, as the perceived blur is quite low there and the added overshoot, althoguh ugly, shouldn’t really affect motion clarity in the way you describe. So I wouldn’t write off testing something like the Dell S2719DGF, but it may not have the result you’re expecting.

cTn

Thank you for the info, ill try to see if i can get my hands on the Dell S2719DGF as it seems to be more wildly available.

I was a bit worried that that the use of the PWM dimming (not being flicker free) might play a role here (just as you pointed out).

If the perceived blur on the FI27Q-P could really be attributed more to being flicker free as opposed to the actual pixel response time (since enabling the BFI mode did tidy up the perceived blur).
    Waiting for the 27GL850 to become available might not be the best since the perceived blur would most likely be similar/close to identical to the FI27Q-P.

As you pointed out, finding an new LCD which would “feel” the same to me might be complicated as backlight being flicker free is pretty much a golden standard now.

stan

I had a Viewsonic XG270QG, here is my opinion:
    Pros: I love build quality and features like mouse wire holder
    Cons: Red color is wrong and impossible to fix not breaking other colors. Menu is quite uncomfortable to use.
    I think I need to tell more about what do I mean by “wrong red color” ( I’m really surprised that no one noticed that yet ):
    I did have quite a few IPS ( including AH-IPS panels ) and me and my wife we both work in a film industry. This panel I bought for games and to be able to work at the same time. Since we did a first look at plain colors we both noticed that:
    It comes with very cold ( almost pink and acid like ) red color.
    So we decided to tweak some settings. Good that we have another IPS panel we could compare with.
    Spending hours trying to find the right values with both monitor and nvidia settings we gave up.
    There is an option to adjust 6-axis color but Hue and Saturation are not separated which makes it much harder. Red color needs a Hue adjustment. If you change Hue value in nvidia settings it applies to all colors ( 7* value fixes red color but breaks yellow, cyan and green ), trying adjusting all other colors after that change is quite impossible work because you still do not have enough options.
    I end up asking for replacement to check another panel but it was the same and had a dead pixel.
    It’s using LG panel and they are usually have separated Hue and Sat, this seems odd to me.

Hope someone else can also check this and confirm or make another opinion.

PCM2

You aren’t going to get accurate sRGB colour reproduction with a model that’s using an untamed 98% DCI-P3 colour gamut. Some reds would look overly ‘fiery’ and pinkish hues can be brought out too strongly as well. It isn’t surprising that things look ‘off’ and this is covered in our review. Your model may have another colour cast issue going on, too. Unfortunately G-SYNC models like the ViewSonic with the basic module lack any sort of sRGB emulation setting and are also very restricted in their other settings. There is no correlation between the settings that LG’s own models have and those using LG Display panels alongside a G-SYNC modules have. So accurate colour reproduction on a model such as this requires profiling and use of colour-aware applications.

stan

Thanks for throwing some light on this. I understand your point and agree with it but I believe there is should be an easier way to setup colors so it’s not so obvious to an eye that colors are wrong.
    Just as a follow up I can say that before I bought ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ( Had dead pixels and I could not get a replacement )
    This monitor is much older ( from 2015 ) but I could not see any wrong colors. I assume I could not notice them but still I was surprised with such kinda of a difference in colors between these two monitors.

PCM2

The PG279Q has a much narrower colour gamut, so it’s not surprising the colour representation would look very different. I agree that greater flexibility should be included with colour adjustment, but that’s largely a restriction imposed by Nvidia with the G-SYNC module used.

PCM2

Just to note that we’ll shortly be reviewing the Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-P.

It has also been confirmed by TFT Central, during their recent testing, that the ViewSonic XG270QG supports AMD FreeSync via DisplayPort. This is the first model on the market confirmed to offer this feature. The feature wasn’t available at the time of our review, so isn’t something we were able to test and compare to the G-SYNC experience. Whether it uses the full capability of the G-SYNC module (including variable overdrive) isn’t currently confirmed.

PCM2

As I’ve now had good hands on experience with both the Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-P and ViewSonic XG270QG, and both reviews are published, I’d like to add a little comparative analysis. A lot of the legwork has already been done by dedicated users earlier in this thread, but here’s my take on things:

– The perceived contrast on the Gigabyte was a noticeable step up from the BenQ EX2780Q with a variant of the same panel, despite measured values being very similar. This is due to the fact our BenQ sample had more significant backlight bleed, particularly towards the left corners. As noted in the reviews, individual units vary when it comes to backlight bleed and therefore these observations just apply to the specific units we tested. This extra backlight bleed brought out the ‘IPS glow’ more strongly and negatively affected the overall atmosphere when observing darker content. I’d say the BenQ still offered a bit of a bump up in perceived contrast compared to the ViewSonic XG270QG. The Gigabyte FI27Q-P sample offered a noteworthy boost compared to the BenQ unit we tested. I wouldn’t describe it as extreme, but certainly noticeable to me and by extension a significant improvement over the XG270QG in that respect.

– Colour reproduction was quite comparable in many respects, once both monitors were set up to our liking (‘Test Settings’). The slight edge in the ViewSonic’s gamut (~98% vs. ~95% DCI-P3) didn’t provide an obvious difference really, just providing a slight edge to saturation for some shades. Certain deep greens were perhaps a bit lusher and it affected how ‘fiery’ some red and orange shades appeared. You might even describe this as ‘over-egging’ some reddish oranges. And lifting out red hues to some woody tones to a greater extent than the already exaggerated representation on the Gigabyte. The ViewSonic provided a slight edge in colour consistency, but these observations could only really be made from a normal viewing position when viewing large areas of very specific shades. The Gigabyte was still clearly a strong performer in that respect, distancing itself from VA and TN models.

– The oversaturated representation of sRGB content was naturally toned down for HDR on the Gigabyte, a feature the ViewSonic lacks. The HDR addition is one some will appreciate, due to the good DCI-P3 coverage being put to appropriate use. And the enhanced precision and nuanced shade variety afforded by the use of 10-bit colour. The fact the monitor could handle the 10-bit signal monitor-side (8-bit + FRC) without GPU dithering made very little difference in practice. As noted in the review any difference you’d notice would be slight – difficult to notice without a side-by-side comparison and even then very situational and not a clear difference. I appreciate some users will like to know the monitor is doing everything itself, that is what the HBR3 feature will offer some reassurance. This was one of the more reasonable VESA DisplayHDR 400 performers I’ve come across, but that’s a pretty low benchmark really. It’s far from a ‘full fat’ HDR experience, with no contrast or brightness advantage compared to running the monitor in SDR.

– The pixel response tuning was noticeably improved on the FI27Q-P compared to the AD27QD. But a definite edge goes to the to the XG270QG in that respect, with variable overdrive from the G-SYNC module and faster pixel responses both coming into play. I wouldn’t say the Gigabyte was ‘slow’, but there were some transitions which were noticeably (to me) weaker than the ViewSonic. And overall perceived blur was increased as a result, with a more solid 165Hz performance on the ViewSonic. Sensitivity to this will vary, though, and the Gigabyte was far from slow. The ‘Aim Stabilizer’ function of the Gigabyte may appeal to some, but as covered in the review it was hardly a wonderful strobe backlight implementation.

– The FI27Q (‘non-P’) doesn’t seem to share the same pixel overdrive tuning as the ‘P’ model. Updating the firmware to the latest version does not improve this, according to user feedback I’ve received. Overshoot is somewhat stronger on the ‘non-P’, especially as refresh rate is reduced. Not as strong as on the AD27QD, but a fair bit more noticeable than on the ‘P’ model.

– Speaking of sensitivity, some users might also enjoy the adjusted and less energetic blue energy peak of the Innolux panel on the Gigabyte (vs. LG’s Nano IPS panel). I don’t consider myself particularly ‘spectrally sensitive’ to backlights, but there was certainly something relaxing to my eyes when using both the Gigabyte and BenQ we reviewed before it. Eye fatigue can be affected by plenty of external factors and the monitors were reviewed some time apart, so it’s difficult to compare between the 165Hz LG Nano IPS and Innolux panels. But I do feel my eyes fatigue less when using the models with the Innolux panels than most other models, which includes my good ol’ Dell that I’ve used very recently.

– I found both models to be solidly built with good feature-rich OSDs. I slightly preferred the ViewSonic’s design, visually, as to me it was a bit slicked and less ‘gamery’ – fewer sharp lines, but that’s entirely subjective. I still found the Gigabyte quite pleasant to look at really and the overall solid build feel was certainly there. The Gigabyte AORUS had some notable additions such as an sRGB emulation mode and a pretty comprehensive software suite to control the OSD, upgrade firmware and access the ‘dashboard’ features. The sRGB emulation mode was quite restrictive, with a somewhat purple tint on my unit and locked brightness. The brightness level just happened to fit with my own preferences, but those will be different for everyone. The ‘Senseye’ feature which gives a split screen to compare current vs. adjusted settings was something I brushed off as pretty gimmicky when I reviewed the AD27QD. But now I understand how to use it and how it’s implemented, I can certainly see its utility. Especially if you’re not used to setting up monitors and how some of the changes you’d make (including colour temperature and gamma) might impact the image.

– Both models had similar ‘light’ matte anti-glare screen surfaces, although slight differences could be observed by the sensitive eye. The ViewSonic’s screen surface was marginally smoother when observing lighter content, but the Gigabyte only had what I’d describe as a ‘”light misty graininess”. Certainly nothing smeary or overly obtrusive – I found it quite agreeable and it’s something I’m notoriously sensitive to

So choosing between the Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-P and ViewSonic XG270QG isn’t a straightforward choice. The perceived contrast advantage of the Gigabyte is certainly a key talking point, but it partly depends on the “luck of the draw” whether you’ll get the most out of it in that respect. I would happily replace my S2716DG with either model, I like both models for slightly different reasons and it’s tough to pick a winner. I’d like to avoid people weighting things too heavily towards my own personal preferences as well. I still like using the S2716DG, which I luckily purchased several years back for £90 due to a pricing error. The pixel responsiveness is better on the Dell than either model (the ViewSonic comes closer), but there’s a lot more overshoot as well. I see the Dell as a useful reference with distinct strengths and weaknesses in different areas. I like the screen surface and speed of pixel response, so it sets a nice benchmark for those aspects. The contrast performance is decidedly average and it has some well-known banding issues even after calibration and profiling. Colour reproduction post-calibration is about as good as you’ll get on a TN model. I guess the fact it has some key weaknesses makes it more of a treat when I’m using and reviewing models that are much stronger in those areas. Going back to it after getting used to the Gigabyte was a definite downgrade in both colour and overall contrast performance.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.