Would like some thoughts on MSI G281UV

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    VladTheSlav

Ive stumbled upon this monitor while browsing a store. From the specifications it seems like a good budget monitor for video editing and ocasional gaming. It says it has a “true”10 bit color gamut but like without evidence and high coverages of Adobe RGB, sRGB and DCI-P3 with hdr 400 certification. Does anyone have at least a video on it? Or some opinion because can`t find any

PCM2

That’s simply clever marketing and perhaps some overly ambitious claims there. Nowhere is the G281UV claimed to be a ‘true’ 10-bit monitor – it states that 10-bit colour is supported (dithering is used here) and it states that the gamut delivers “true colour”. Trying to emphasise the vibrancy that’s possible and the “realistic” look that can give when used appropriately. MSI are known to be overly enthusiastic with some of their gamut measurements. They can include relative or ‘area’ / ‘volume’ rather than providing absolute coverage as most manufacturers refer to or use less common measurement standards. Either way, I don’t consider 122.54% sRGB, which is probably the most useful measurement they give, to be a particularly generous gamut. And even if the claimed 91.36% Adobe RGB coverage were correct it’s not really ideal for work within that colour space either.

This is one of a range of models based on a similar Innolux panel to the Philips 288E2UAE (288E2E) we recommend. It could certainly have a wider gamut backlight, but be cautious about the manufacturer claims on that. And based on the panel it’s probably a decent monitor, but it’s not one I have experience with or user feedback to share.

VladTheSlav

Okay, Thanks for the reply and information!

VladTheSlav

I`m sorry to bother you once more but I was looking through the monitors that interested me. Somehow the UK msi monitor specification claims that it has an even higher color gamut. So is it like more marketing lies or what is going on? Where are the true specification of the monitor?

PCM2

They aren’t higher, they’re the same if you compare like for like – you just get more information to go on an this highlights what I was saying in my first post about why you need to be careful. 122.54% sRGB coverage (relative/area/volume) is again a key measurement. And focusing on CIE 1931 gamut measurements which are the most widely used and easiest to compare – including on our reviews – you get 81.92% Adobe RGB and 87.08% DCI-P3 coverage. So that’s actually the same as the 288E2UAE (288E2E). The panel is very likely exactly the same, with Philips specifying ~120% sRGB. This is by no means a true wide gamut panel, it’s more ‘sRGB+’.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.