What about upcoming 32″, 4K, 16:9, 240Hz OLED display?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    sblantipodi

As title.
      Those panels can let me switch my current LCD for an OLED.

Will we see the same text clarity problems that we have seen on other OLEDs even on this high density pixel OLEDs?

Can you tell me how the “Anti burn in” feature works on OLEDs?
      Do they display some images on the screen when you are using the screen or does they do it at night when the monitor has no signal from the PC?

Should we expect the same “anti burn in” features/annoyances like the ones we have seen on previous OLEDs?

PCM2

Hi sblantipodi,

Great questions as usual.

In the OLED fringing article, I conclude that even if the subpixel layout remains as it is with current OLEDs, an increase in pixel density would help. The pixel density increase between the current models (~110 PPI) and a 31.5″ ‘4K’ UHD option (~139.87 PPI) is significant and would make any fringing significantly narrower and less easy to notice. In the article I also explored how the ‘gen 2’ QD-OLED panel used in the ASUS PG49WCD I’ve reviewed made a noticeable positive improvement on fringing (compared to the 34″ models, which are ‘gen 1’) due to some subpixel structure changes. I’d expect the ‘gen 3’ panels, which the ~32″ ‘4K’ UHD QD-OLEDs to be, to use a similar or possibly further enhanced subpixel structure to ‘gen 2’ and combined with the pixel density it should make the fringing something most would not notice. And that’s really what it’s about – it doesn’t need to be eliminated, just sufficiently difficult to notice even for those sensitive to such things.

For LG Display WOLED panels I expect a pixel density increase to have a positive effect on fringing, but per the article I generally found it more noticeable on WOLED models. But it’s very subjective, as noted. I’m not confident this pixel density increase will be enough to yield a huge improvement to the fringing. Particularly for the examples in the article with colourful elements against light backgrounds that the fringing is so distinct that making the fringe <30% thinner isn't really going to help.

I'd recommend reading the relevant sections of our AW3423DW review and 27GR95QE-B review for some typical implementations of burn-in mitigation measures and how they operate. I expect this to be similar for future models. The main refresh cycle(s) just run unobtrusively in the background when the monitor loses signal and can be interrupted if necessary. ASUS models tend to have a message prompt (configurable) but expect you to manually run the cycle. It can become routine if you just want to run it at bed time or if you’re aware from the monitor for a meal or something, but I personally prefer the automatic ‘if required and monitor is not in use’ approach most other manufacturers adopt. Additional measures vary by manufacturer and some examples are given in those reviews. Typically there will be some form of pixel shifting where the image periodically moves slightly in an ‘active area’ between it and the panel border. On some models this can be disabled or configured.

Whether you’re using some or all of these measures or not, good habits such as setting Windows to turn off the monitor when idle for say 3 minutes, not leaving games paused with little going on for too long (some models have a ‘screen saver’ feature to help in case you forget) and using a dark theme for the taskbar can really help. Burn-in potential is also decreased if you set the monitor to a ‘reasonable’ brightness rather than the maximum supported for regular SDR usage. For QD-OLEDs they typically reach ~250 nits but setting it to 100 – 180 nits is common and can help compared to leaving the brightness at maximum. For most people they’d naturally set the monitor around this preferred range anyway, but there are always outliers. I’ve even known some people run the monitor in HDR even for SDR usage to ‘unlock’ a higher brightness level, even though a distracting ABL behaviour is then introduced and you can’t usually manually adjust brightness and various other aspects. Not to mention the wonky gamma and other negative effects on the image you typically see when viewing an SDR environment under HDR.

Sorcy

Hi,

I was browsing the list of recommended monitors, and looking at some reviews from 2022, I realised we’ll be in 2024 very soon with new qd-oled displays announced.

So … basically I was wondering if following a recommendation was still accurate enough or if I should consider it to be … a bit expired ?
          I was looking for a 32″ 4K IPS display, and was reading (again) the M32u’s review.
          Then I read sblantipodi’s post on this thread and realised some my wonder the same thing.

Thanks =)

PCM2

The recommendations are for current monitors that are actually available, not upcoming monitors which don’t even have a product page or firm release date yet. And given the pricing and the fact it’s an LCD and can be used without the same considerations posted earlier, it’s apples to oranges comparing the M32U to the upcoming OLED models. It and the other recommendations will remain relevant even once ‘competing’ OLED screens are released.

Sorcy

Very clear, thanks for clarifying this and apologies for getting too ahead of myself but geez it’s complicated to pick one ! 😉

sblantipodi

Thank you for the very informative answer PCM2 I really appreciate it.

I think that FALD LCDs improves HDR contents by a huge margin when comparing them to standard LCDs but I would like to jump on the OLED wagon…

I was waiting for a 32inch 4K OLED and this new models really tempts me…

My biggest deal breakers when looking at current OLEDs are:
                – text clarity issues
                – burn in
                – form factor (I don’t like wide monitors)

If text clarity will be improved the only things that will prevent me to to buy this new OLED will be the burn in problem and all the needed attention required for this kind of technology.

Let’s see. Can’t wait to see the pcmonitors review on this new OLEDs.

sblantipodi

What about miniLED monitors?
                  Do you think that manufacturers will continue to invest on miniLEDs now that everyone is crazy for OLEDs?

Are there some new interesting miniLEDs coming in 2024?

I would love to switch to OLED but I’m not ready to baby my monitor with appropriate content to reduce the burn in 😀
                  I like to work in normal lit environment and everything under 250cd/m2 is too dark for me…
                  I like to play with all the lights tuned off and sometimes my miniLED monitor is way too bright…

I would love to switch to OLEDs but I would prefer to have other great miniLED options…

PCM2

In the ‘gaming monitor’ or entertainment space, it’s only Samsung and LG Display who are really ramping up OLED panels. Innolux, AUO and BOE are still focusing on Mini LED solutions and I hope we’ll see something interesting announced at CES if not a bit further into the year.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.