Thoughts on ViewSonic XG321UG (compared to Acer X32 FP)

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Degrader

That restriction is definitely annoying, Nvidia should allow the monitor manufacturers to release firmware updates with a tool like they did with ULMB 2.

Mode 2 is indeed the most balanced overall, but for Shadow of the Tomb Raider Mode 1 works very well in almost every scene except for a very few. So I’m still switching between the modes depending on the game I’m going to play.
      Yeah, tuning the FALD algorithm is a complex task indeed. But I still feel that they could adjust the gamma value of the lit up dimming zone against lighter backgrounds in some way so that the zone is less visible. Or do you think that this will always lead to more dimmed highlights like the X32 FP ?

PCM2

They’d either have to change the background shade (lighten it up a bit) or make it so the highlight was dimmer. Maybe they could create a brightness gradient by setting adjacent dimming zones to intermediate levels as well, so the change isn’t so abrupt. But I feel part of the distraction is how rapidly the zones are transitioning between the two states and not just the level of the brightness change. In theory they could selectively slow down the zone transition speeds in some cases so they’re gentler, that might help. But how easy that sort of thing would be to implement, I have no idea.

PCM2

Some relevant experiences comparing the PG32UQX to X32 FP can be found in this post by forum user sblantipodi. This again highlights just how subjective the monitor experience is.

Degrader

I was playing around with the RGB channels in HDR with my XG321UG. Each channel is set to 100 by default and the whitepoint is then 1600. By reducing them for example to 50 I saw that the whitepoint is shifted to a higher value, 2800 (by reducing them to only 10 the whitepoint was 8000). What it does do is making all low and midtones darker but without affecting the peak brightness, this will stay around the 1750 nits. So it makes the whole image darker (more dark biased like the X32 FP for example), but the highlights are still bright and do have more detail due to the higher whitepoint. So if I understand this correctly, by reducing the RGB values it looks like that the monitor applies more tone mapping. Is that correct? I didn’t saw any other downsides by doing this, of course a value of 10 is too dark, but 50 seems to work. PCM2, what it is your opinion in this?

PCM2

That’s interesting. It doesn’t have that effect on all models and I’m not sure if it’s specific to the XG321UG or something to do with the G-SYNC module. It sounds the there is some re-mapping going on (which could be useful).

Weissrolf

Interesting that the Viewsonic does not show color/white point shifts between differently dimmed zones. That’s more annoying/problematic on the Acer X32 FP and Asus PG32uqxR than dark bias or blooming.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.