PG279QM AUO or LG panel?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    dANii2k

Hello,

In your post about the PG279QM you say that this will likely be a AUO panel. Is there any confirmation about this? Or could it still possibly be the LG panel that the AW2721D also uses?

I’m asking this because I am looking to buy this monitor, but LG’s NANO IPS panels give me really bad eyestrain!

PCM2

Hi daNii2k,

The PG279QM has a 150% sRGB colour gamut specified, with a 99%+ Adobe RGB coverage measured by Hardware Unboxed. That essentially confirms it is an AUO panel, because only Quantum Dot LED backlight technology can achieve that. It’s beyond the capability of LG’s Nano IPS technology. This is also the same coverage supported by the Acer XV272U X and XB273U GX with the AU Optronics M270DAN08.0 AHVA panel.

Out of curiosity, which LG Nano IPS model did you find gave you really bad eyestrain? I’ve known some users who found the 27GL850 problematic in that respect, but found UltraWides like the 34GN850 fine. Indicating different Nano IPS models might use different diodes – although there could’ve been other factors at play. Either way I still found this an interesting observation and it might mean you shouldn’t rule out all Nano IPS models based on experiences with a specific panel. I don’t know of anybody who specifically had issues with the 27GL850 but found the AW2721D fine or specifically commented on that from a viewing comfort perspective, though.

dANii2k

Previously owned the Asus XG279Q which did not give me any eye strain issues whatsoever. Then moved to a AW2721D which gave me eye strain after a few hours of use both in Windows and while gaming.

I really loved the XG279Q and kind of bummed I sold it for 240hz. I’m hoping the new PG can be the right monitor for me!

PCM2

That makes sense and I agree with your logic – you’d presumably get on well with the PG279QM.

dANii2k

Thank you very much for your help,I’ll be sure to let you know once I get my hands on one!

PCM2

Did you end up getting the PG279QM, dANii2k? As an aside, the ASUS XG27AQM is now available and listed for ~$700 USD. This one’s a lower priced alternative based on the same panel and with a 270Hz overclock, but lacking the G-SYNC module. It is certified G-SYNC Compatible.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.