My experience with Acer Nitro VG270UPbmiipx so far

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    DannyBritty

Hello everyone, I will start by saying sorry if my english is not very good but I’m french.

So I bought the Acer Nitro VG270UPbmiipx (27 IPS 144Hz Freesync panel) 3 weeks ago and I already returned one unit.

My current monitor is an old LG 60Hz TN panel (LG 2361W flatron) and that’s what I noticed with the Acer Nitro :

Pros :
      27″ is a really nice size and 1440p is very a huge step from 1080p. Image is way clearer than on my old TN monitor, I got no headache using it, it’s not the case with my old TN monitor, I often got headache with it (I’m wearing glasses with blue light filter).

144Hz feels good but not as good as the acer predator x241h I got a month ago (returned too because image was horrible, far more horrible than my old TN).

The stand of the monitor is OK for me, pretty stable on my desktop no worries here, would be nice to have height adjustement but it’s OK.

Blacks are deep, my TN monitor has deep blacks too, but the Nitro has deeper blacks. I find it has deeper blacks compared to my brother Samsung c27hg70 monitor, because there is some light bleed on his unit wich destroys blacks imo. I didn’t noticed any light bleed on my unit.

Colors are way better than TN of course, to compare with my brother Samsung c27hg70 I think colors are better on the Acer too. To me, VA feels like a slightly better TN, but not as great as IPS. And i find image on his VA monitor a little blurry, I don’t like it.

Cons :
      IPS glow : It don’t really bother me much on the unit I received,

But something bothers me more : reflections. I don’t know if it’s because of panel coatting (I think it is !) but sometimes it reflects too much the light, especially in dark image content (and especially in the bottom of the screen). I’m playing in a bright room because my eyes prefer, and I can clearly see my keyboard leds reflecting on the screen. A bit annoying but not so much, not as good as my old TN monitor.

And now maybe the most interesting part : why I returned it ?

First I got 2 dead pixels, one in the bottom, other on the right.
      Second and that’s why I’m writing this here on pcmonitors forum :
      Panel homogeneity

I didn’t think I will encounter this on an IPS panel but maybe I understood wrong what an IPS panel is.
      Homogeneity “feel” is bad, accross the screen 2/3 from the left side is tinted by yellow, last 1/3 (5 – 7 centimeters) on the right is tinted blue.
      And yes in games I don’t notice it, but when it comes to simple browsing I notice it a lot, especially the blue tint wich is eye distracting. I think it’s really really noticable in a white or grey content, like reading forums πŸ˜‰ website, twitch etc….
      Colors feels pretty consistent across the screen, but the blue tint is very noticeable in white/grey/light color content.

Another thing, gamma is bad on this monitor, you have 1.8 / 2.2 and 2.4 gamma settings in the osd, first is horrible and destroy colors, the two others are too dark. I didn’t noticed it at first when playing battlefield, then i launched League of Legens and wow it was really too dark. So I learned what gamma is and how to set it up. If you are an AMD card user like me you need to setup gamma in Windows to correct it.

Another thing to add, on the left side of the screen, there is something weird. I don’t know how to properly describe this in english.
      A little darker one centimeter band stick to the left side, it seems like the screen was compressed only next to the left bezel. It’s significantly darker than the rest, feels weird.

So i sent it back and before doing it I ordered a Viewsonic Xg2402, but I think I will sent it back too because 1080p feels very bad after 1440p I will come and tell my feels about this one too !

I ordered another Acer Nitro but will keep the XG 2402 till i receive the other Acer because it’s out of stock here in France (in stock = 21 January) I did that because I wanna see if my unit was defective or not, overall the screen was good but I think there’s too much little weird things I didn’t expect for a 400€monitor.

I was happy because I saw someone else who noticed the thing i described before : Lim’s Cave. He made a review of the ACER XF270HUA and I think the Acer Nitro is using almost the same panel, or the same. In his video he says that uniformity is not good, and he also says that he didn’t encountered such a bad uniformity on the Gsync panels using the same IPS panel.

To conclude I was thinking to give you an advice, because its’ always something I’m trying to find in your (very) good video reviews, as well as the other reviewers I saw. Almost no one actually just show a browser or white uniform image and talk about uniformity specially on white, for example wheb browsing. I believe it’s because other monitors don’t have a problem with that besides the two I tried.

Because yes as I mentioned before I got an acer Xb241H too, and the top left corner showed an extreme yellow tint and darker spot comparing to the rest of the screen. And same as the Acer Nitro, you don’t notice it in games, but in web browsing…. => instant return.

I was very excited about getting a new monitor but it feels like a pain now for me, and I don’t think I’m asking for the moon like we say here in France, I just want a good looking image when gaming AND when browsing. My bro’s Samsung c27hg70 actually shows a nice white uniformity, good point here.

So it’s really time to conclude now, overall like I said the Acer Nitro felt great, way better, clearer than my 8 years old TN monitor. But it failed hard regarding white uniformity while browsing on the internet, and failed to properly handle reflections too. I noticed IPS glow but it was little and not annoying compared to the other cons I mentioned. I really want to get a good one because my headaches disappeared with this monitor, IPS feels awesome.

I hope that my english was understandable and I wish you a good day !

Cheers from France

PCM2

I appreciate you sharing your experiences in this way, it’s unfortunate that the monitor didn’t work out for you but this will all give other users food for thought if they’re considering that model. I’m quite disappointed to see that none of the gamma modes felt appropriate to you, that’s a pet hate of mine on a monitor. Actually I suppose a pet hate would be a monitor with messed up gamma and no flexibility at all to fix that in the OSD.

White uniformity and uniformity in general is something we assess in detail in our written reviews. There’s no point in repeating absolutely everything in our video reviews, we like to give users a reason to look at the written content where they will find everything assessed by the colorimeter, calibration advice, uniformity etc. It’s also noted, which is vitally important to note, that uniformity varies between individual units. Plus some of our video reviews are nearly an hour long as it is, no need to bulk them out further. Making a big thing about a monitor having ‘good’ or ‘poor’ uniformity isn’t really useful as a reviewer. It is certainly important to mention it, which we do, but not to force it upon users in a way that will either put them off unnecessarily (their unit may be better in that regard) or lead them to think their unit will be as good as our review sample in that respect.

DannyBritty

Thank you for your answer, and yes I’m not a pro like you but Lim’s Cave mentioned in his review of the ACER XF270HUA that gamma settings were not good too on this model, 1.8 creates unaccurate colors and 2.2/2.4 is too dark, that’s why I suppose it uses the same panel.

To say the truth it’s when I saw his review that I identified why the image was too dark and that’s because of gamma settings.

And yes it was very nice to learn how gamma changes from top to bottom on TN models for example, differences between TN/VA/IPS thanks to your reviews, I learned a lot so thank you again !

Regarding uniformity unfortunately I saw on a forum about ACER XF270HUA monitor that pretty all units were concerned about this blue tint on the right side, and yellow on the left side. (OCN forums). So now I’m pretty sure the Acer Nitro uses the same panel.

I was just expecting from an IPS panel to be uniform, I didn’t perceived a lack of uniformity in colors (I don’t have a keen eye like you say in your reviews πŸ˜€ ) but unfortunately whites are not good because of these different tints.

Anyways I wanted to know, from all IPS screens you tested does some models had such issues ? From the reviews I read here on IPS panels all seems to be pretty uniform.

PCM2

The Acer VG270U(P) uses the same panel used on some others with a borderless design, including other Acer models including the XF270HUA you mentioned. Namely the AU Optronics M270DAN02.6. From what you’ve said it sounds like the gamma settings do indeed offer changes that are too extreme, with one setting giving gamma that’s too low (‘washed out’) whereas the next offers gamma that’s too high (‘too deep’). The gamma behaviour is not something that’s completely bound by the panel used, however. If Acer were more careful with the calibration or offered more gradual gamma changes in the OSD it would be helpful. But alas, they do not.

With respect to uniformity, as I said that’s something that varies between units. However; these 144Hz AHVA (IPS-type) panels do generally perform below average in that regard. Uniformity issues with colour temperature as you describe are common. You can see them in our sample of the AOC AG271QG which uses a similar panel, for example. Definite differences in colour temperature between the right and left side and some significant luminance variation overall. Unless a monitor has a guaranteed uniformity spec or an effective uniformity compensation mode (that will come at the expense of contrast), I’m afraid uniformity is always something of a lottery. If you want a high refresh rate IPS-type model you’re going to have to be prepared to swap out units several times to get a sample with good uniformity.

Edit: Now would also be a good time to point towards the LG 27GL850G, an alternative using an LG Nano IPS panel. Possibly better quality control (very unlikely to be worse in that respect). Not likely to be cheap and obviously a G-SYNC model instead of FreeSync, but hopefully this panel will be used in other models with FreeSync at some point. There’s also the Acer Nitro XV272U which claims a colour gamut of 95% so I’m not clear what panel that will be using.

DannyBritty

Thank you for your advice again, but I don’t think I’m gonna buy a Gsync monitor because I got a Vega 56 card, and those panels are very expansive, Nvidia Tax.

I saw 2 reviews about the Dell S2719DGF but it’s not available in my country actually, NCX says this monitor has perfect whites and greys with no tint, but gamma was poor (1.9) as well as contrast ratio. In tom’s hardware review they say gamma was perfect so I don’t know what to think.

I received my Viewsonic XG2402 today, so far I can tell :

Gamma is too low even at 2.8, or maybe I’m wrong and it’s a story of contrast, or both I don’t know. Blacks are grey but not too much at 2.8 gamma, colours are a little bit too watched out especially in the bottom of the screen. I can say there’s a little problem I think relative to that, reading grey text on light grey font isn’t as clear as on my old TN panel (URL in chrome for example). It feels it lacks of contrast in White/light grey.

White uniformity is OK but I can clearly see a yellowish/greenish tint all over the lower bottom right corner, top of the screen has a more reddish tint. Still it’s not as obvious as the blueish tint of the Acer Nitro.

Compared to my old TN panel : my old TN panel has better blacks/contrast, colours are better too : it pops out more on my old LG, maybe because of contrast. LG panel has too high gamma but once rectified in windows it’s very nice, overall I prefer the image on my old TN, less washed out but the Viewsonic is close to it. I feel there’s something weird about sharpness, text appears clear but not as clear as my old TN. I used the settings in your review for the Viewsonic XG2402 but i had to lower gamma to 2.8, and only lower blue color to 94, lowering green caused a reddish image.

Compared to the Acer Nitro I returned : I prefered the image on the Acer, overall way better than my old TN and the Viewsonic, clearer due to high resolution I guess, feels very comfortable to read text on the Acer and image was way sharper in games. The Acer was too dark but when I owned it I didn’t know how to do gamma settings on Windows, so now I know how to do it if I receive a new one.

I think I will keep my pre order on the next Acer Nitro because so far it’s the one I liked the most, first time I put it on I felt like WOW this is amazing. To be honest dead pixels really pulled the trigger to return it, otherwise I think I would have kept it, but dead pixels + other little issues were too much. Dead pixels for me is not an acceptable thing, note that the Viewsonic does not have dead / stuck pixels I checked.
              The Viewsonic feels like my old TN with 144hz refresh added and a little worst image quality, nothing more. The Acer feels more like a big upgrade.

To conclude I have to say that the Viewsonic is way better than the Acer Predator XB241h I had, better uniformity/colors etc… Viewsonic XG2402+ Vega 56 feels exactly the same as Acer Predator XB241h + RTX 2070 in battlefield V at least. From the 3 monitors I tested I still prefer the Acer Nitro.

PCM2

It could be a gamma issue with the XG2402, although I’d be surprised if ‘2.8’ wasn’t above the ‘2.2’ target if measured. It’s certainly not impossible, the AUO M240HW01 which the ViewSonic and other 24″ Full HD 144Hz TN models use is prone to some massive gamma variation. Seems that the Dell S2719DGF is affected by this to an extent as well, I’m afraid. As noted in the review you can use the ‘Black Stabilization’ to further ‘fine-tune’ the gamma on the ViewSonic. So try that. Also try running the monitor at 60Hz and see how things are (if they look much better, it probably is a gamma issue at the higher refresh rates). I couldn’t rule out a contrast issue, our review sample had a severe contrast issue although other users who have appropriate equipment have all reported much better contrast – could still be unreported units with issues as yours may have.

DannyBritty

Yes when turning the monitoring refresh rate to 60Hz in Windows it looks better. Looks washed out at 144hz with 2.8 gamma, I’ve turned down black stabilizer from 11 to 5 and it looks better now, especially blacks.

I took photos with my phone, in reality it looks brighter than this photos but can give you an idea :

https://imgur.com/lw5oMUd
                  https://imgur.com/HA2HakG

DannyBritty

So I received a new Acer Nitro today and unfortunately it came with a red stuck pixel this time, on the right side…I feel so unlucky. Homogeneity is slightly better than my first one, still a blue tint on the right side but less visible than my first one. There is no strange vertical area on the left side which was completly dark on my first unit.

Still gamma is too low on 2.2 setting, but now I managed to adjust it through windows and it looks perfect.

I’m trying to fix the red stuck pixel with Jscreenfix, I tried to pressure the screen but it didn’t change anything at all. I’m sadly laughing when I think about people who complains about IPS Glow, I don’t care about that or maybe because those screens don’t have much, I just want a brand new monitor with all pixels functionning that’s all I want…

I will return it back again if this stuck pixel stays as it is.

I won’t keep the XG2402 which I already asked a return, because it’s really too washed out, each time I turn on the monitor I notice it “Omg it’s too washed out”. Outside of this issue the monitor is great.

I’m begin to be tired of all this now, I hope Amazon will have this model in stock in the future so I won’t need to wait refund for each unit, or I will probably end up with my old TN monitor πŸ™

Thanks for your reviews again, I hope you will review this Acer one day πŸ˜‰

DannyBritty

Hi again, I just wanted to add that the Acer Nitro monitor I have does not pass the sharpness lagom test both at 144Hz and 60Hz. Sharpness seems to be a bit low. I noticed it coming from the Viewsonic 2402 which had too high sharpness.

The monitor does not pass the gamma test, I don’t know how accurate the lagom gamma test is but the seizure you should expect at 2.2 gamma is completely not at this value on my unit. 48% is at 1.3 value, 24% is at 1.6, and 10% is at 1.7.
                      Changing the gamma in OSD settings did not change this “curve”, same as windows gamma calibration, it just changes colors and darkens/lightens the screen.

I have not done those tests with my previous unit so I don’t know if it affects all units. I just remember that I have done those tests with my old TN panel long time ago and it passed both test, will do it again to be sure.

On the side of homogeneity on white picture, this time left side shows a blue tint as well as the right side, it’s wider on the right side. Center has a yellowish tint. Feels warm in the center and cold at the sides. To correctly illustrate what I mean, you can see that in the test of =DEAD+ the Russian reviewer and you can see the blue tint on the right when he talks about the luminance uniformity and shows the white picture. Btw his unit seems to be a good one.

For now I’m really asking myself if I should try to grab another one, or maybe another monitor would swit me better. Unfortunately I don’t have the money to grab this good LG IPS you just reviewed.

PCM2

The Lagom sharpness test is utterly worthless. It’s completely subjective, depends on viewing distance and how exactly you’re viewing the test. “Squint your eyes and move back”. Erm… How much? And how blended exactly do the lines need to be? The resolution, screen surface, contrast etc. also all affects perception on that test. Ignore it. As for the gamma test, it’s worthless for TN models because their gamma curve is far too viewing angle dependent. Try moving your head even slightly vertically or changing viewing distance and you’ll get a completely different value. For IPS models it doesn’t always give an accurate indication for other reasons. Obviously if you’re clearly changing gamma and it isn’t changing results of the tests, it’s not helping you.

DannyBritty

Thanks for your answer Adam, I checked again now that I returned again the Acer Nitro VG270UP and my old TN does not pass sharpness test either, but I find the sharpness better on it than on the Acer, and sharpness issue is a thing reported in overclockers forums on the Acer VG270up, as well as the old Acer xf270HUA and again with the new Acer Xv272UP. There is only super sharpness setting which doesn’t help on these monitors. It seems that regarding 144Hz IPS panels, only the Asus PG279Q passes this sharpness lagom test at 144Hz, and some units of the Acer Predator XB271Hu passes at 144hz, some do not, but passes at 60Hz. Of course the Eizo FS2735 has a perfect sharpness, as well as uniformity.

I think you might be interested to test the AORUS AD27QD in the future, it seems that he has plenty of OSD options to configure it properly, like gamma settings from 1 to 5 covering 1.8 to 2.6 gamma by 0.2 steps, 1 to 10 sharpness settings, and way more options compared to Acer panels. It seems to use the Innolux panel used in the Acer XV272UP.

I’m on my way to reveive the 3rd unit of the Acer Nitro VG270UP they accepted an exchange this time, but I’m starting thinkin of trying this Aorus, but the price is 600€ versus 350€ for the Acer, I don’t know if it would be worth the try. Such a shame my old TN has 3 gamma settings and 10 sharpness settings, this should be on every monitor today….

I also wanted to ask you something, does changing gamma through windows or through Nvidia panel offers the same results as changing it in an included OSD settings on the monitor ?

Have a good day !

PCM2

We don’t have any Gigabyte contacts, they haven’t reached out to us and we’ve got plenty of other models to look at. So it’s unlikely we’ll be looking at the AORUS AD27QD any time soon. I didn’t observe any issues with sharpness on the ViewSonic XG2703-GS or AOC AG271QCG, but I observed with a trained eye rather than using a flimsy sharpness test. Provided you’re viewing in the same way, having some units of the same model ‘pass’ and some ‘fail’ is still very interesting in itself. I have seen user reports of ‘obvious sharpness issues’ with some units of the Acer models, though, even outside of any particular test.

Changing gamma at the GPU driver level or in Windows displaces the gamma curve left or right. The gamma settings in monitors typically adjust the curve itself to a degree rather than simply displacing it left or right. But if the options aren’t doing what you need them to you can certainly try combining them with driver or software-level adjustment.

miguelaje

Hi im looking for other computer this monitor Nitro VG270UP. Any opinion,?? Thanks

PCM2

Merged with existing thread that was literally just a few places down from the thread you started. Always check or do a forum search for a model number before starting a new thread!

Astrix_AU

You guys should check out the Nixeus 27EDG 2560x1440p AHVA IPS Type 4MS Freesync Certified 30-144hz with variable overdrive. Overdrive always works when gaming even if you set it to off, hence variable! On the desktop only low works others do nothing. Nixeus harware Rep Peter verified this and said that overdrive was working properly so they just left it like that. There is no ghosting and no inverse ghosting or overshoot, it’s an amazing monitor.

Nixeus is releasing anytime early 2019 a new version with slimmer bezel and it will also support Freesync over HDMI.

All Nixeus monitors work with Gsync including overdrive and LFC!

It’s regarded as having the best Freesync implementation and I absolutely agree, it’s variable overdrive is awesome. Before the Nixeus I purchased the XF270HU Abmiidprzx the new zero frame version I think the new Nixeus will have that panel. My Nixeus 27EDG has the panel that was on the original XF270HU M270DAN02.3.

The Acer was almost perfect but overdrive didn’t work with freesync. I was able to use overdrive with CRU.exe but loosing freesync. I returned it as the ghosting was too strong when using freesync on the XF270HU Abmiidprzx (zero frame) and then I got the Nixeus 27 EDG and it’s awesome. The new version I think will use the updated M270DAN02.6 and it should be even better as it’s got brighter colours and a sharper picture. My Nixeus isn’t soft it’s fine but I could notice the Acer was sharper which I do prefer.

I also have a Benq XL2730Z with firmware V002 but the overdrive is not variable but you can change the overdrive settings while using freesync. Great monitor but the Nixeus IPS kills it πŸ™‚ the bezels are litle thick but I’d just get the new version with thinner bezels. Not sure if it will use the same panel it might hopefully it will use the 2.6 either way it will be awesome.

Below is a video of the Nixeus 27EDG using VRR using Gsync on a Nvidia card.

https://twitter.com/KeithPlaysPC/status/1085150565489934336

https://www.nixeus.com/nx-edg27

Astrix_AU

Something I just remembered the the Acer XF270HU Abmiidprzx (zero frame) had one other problem that the Nixeus doesn’t suffer from, at least my monitor. The Acer suffered from bad white uniformity, i remember one side was more yellow and one side more blueish. It did get on my nerves and I was very happy to not have this issue on the Nixeus in fact it performs really well in uniformity! I do not see any colour shifting on my Nixeus web pages are white or grey without any tinting.

PCM2

Nixeus don’t sell locally or have an established PR firm here in the UK, so we aren’t able to review their products.

Astrix_AU

Yeah I was trying so hard to get my hands on a 27EDG I forgot about that. Two sellers were selling them on Amazon Australia for $1800.00 , that is an insane price I hope nobody purchased them. I then found elsewhere with free shipping to Australia. They are sold out now so I feel silly recommending them but the new model is coming out soon and hopefully this time Nixeus will allocate more stock to overseas vendors such as Amazon.

Their US customers are very lucky as their customer service is great with a 3 year warranty. They are pretty cheap too.

PCM2

Yeah, I hope they expand their market eventually. πŸ™‚

DannyBritty

I received my third unit today, and… it came with a green stuck pixel on center right on the screen, visible on dark/black content. This screen was not in the same box as the two others, and there is another problem. This time, the part where you connect the screen to the footstand is not cut on one side, this result you can’t fully introduce the footstand in the monitor. That’s just a shame.
                                            I’m not sure that this unit is brand new, or a refurbished from Acer, because in the menu settings when I switch between Warm and User there are no differences, image is the same, it changed with the other units. The gamma settings seems to be better than the previous ones too, set to 2.2 gamma in the OSD it’s not as dark as the previous ones, I only had to go up a little bit in the windows settings.

Compared to the other units, this one has a better uniformity, but I notice the top is perfectly white, the bottom has I think a yellowish tint, white appears greyish at the bottom so I’m not sure if it’s yellow tint. There is a bit of BLB in the bottom left, the others were free from BLB. As mentioned before, uniformity is way better on the Samsung C27H70, but it has far more BLB.

I still think the QC on this monitor is very low, how can they sell this with this problem on the footstand ? Stuck pixel/dead pixel ?
                                            I think I’m done with this monitor, anyways I don’t like the sharpness on it, too much uniformity/dead/stuck pixel issues. And when I compare to the screen of my old One Plus One phone which has an ips screen, you just can’t compare them. My phone has perfect whites an perfect colors as well, this monitor is far from this image quality.

I will go with a cheaper 24 1080p 144hz monitor, but I’m lost I don’t know where to look at. I’ve already tried the Viewsonic XG2402 but image quality was very bad, even coming from an old TN, gamma shift was too much noticeable/washed out in the bottom.
                                            The XG2401 may be a better choice according to the guy who had both on this forum.
                                            And the other choice would be the AOC C24G1 but I’m afraid of the text sharpness and sharpness overall, there are already customers reviews mentioning that this monitor is blurry and dead pixels issues (as much as 10 dead pixels in one week of use !)
                                            Last one is the Samsung C24FG73FQ…..

I’m really really tired about returning monitors, this was supposed to be an happy purchase and it became a nightmare for me πŸ™

I’m also waiting for your review of the Dell S2719DG Adam, NCX mentioned this monitor has pure whites without tint and color accuracy is perfect. But it’s much money for a TN panel so… I really don’t know what I will pick next.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.