Monitor for PS5; 1440p problem

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Felixl

Hello folks,

I’m in need of an expert’s advice. I’ve read some of the entries in this forum but none covered exactly what I needed. I am currently looking for a new 27″ monitor for my PS5. I am mostly playing fast paced games, so i would like to get one with a super high responsiveness. It should have 1440p as well. My budget is around 400-450€. The Acer Nitro XV272U KVbmiiprzx and the Gigabyte M27Q caught my attention. I know that the PS5 doesn’t support 1440p natively, but i hope they will add that in the future and until then I’ll just play with an interpolated picture. This is where another question of mine comes in. Does interpolation increase input lag? I’ve read in the Gigabyte’s review, that it does a really good job at interpolation picture quality wise, but how does it impact on input lag? I couldnt’t find any information on that on the internet.

Thanks for your help in advance, I appreciate any answers 🙂

PCM2

Hi Felixl and welcome,

There are just a few models where running them at a non-native resolution would increase input lag. Usually with older scaling hardware. But more often than not that isn’t the case and it makes very little difference to input lag when you run the monitor at a non-native resolution. This is true for the vast majority of high refresh rate 2560 x 1440 (WQHD or 1440p) models including the M27Q and I’m quite sure the XV272U KV. With the ability to run them at 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) for the PS5 or ‘4K’ UHD using downsampling, they are popular choices even as things stand with the PS5 not supporting a 1440p signal. And I would also like to see this resolution supported in the future – I think you will enjoy the experience either way.

Felixl

Thank you so much for your answer!! That’s a big relief. I’m sorry to bother you again, but i would like to ask you two more questions, if that’s ok. 😀

How is the picture quality on let’s say the M27Q (upscaled picture to 1440p from 1080p) compared to a native 1080p 27″ display? And which 1440p 27″ IPS 120hz+ monitor would you recommend in terms of speed for games like Warzone for example.

Thank you and kind regards!

PCM2

I make my recommendation for the M27Q for gaming (and indeed other purposes) very clear. And readily compare it to other models in various posts in the forum, including this one. Which is linked to as further reading in the recommendations section. It’s not the fastest monitor you can get, but it’s certainly pretty fast and most users wouldn’t notice the difference between that and anything with even better pixel responsiveness. The fact it has a single overdrive mode that works well at all refresh rates is also a bonus.

As for the interpolation (scaling) process, that’s explored in the review. If you set ‘Super Resolution’ to ‘1’ it’s actually quite good for a WQHD model displaying Full HD. It’s never going to be the same as a native Full HD monitor. No monitor delivers that. But this one comes closer to replicating that than many others actually.

EllisonAlexandra

Hi, I own an M27Q monitor and am very happy with it. It’s good for a lot of things, for gaming and work, it may be the greatest monitor for gaming, but it’s not the worst either! So feel free to take it if you are not an avid gamer who needs the perfect equipment for that!

PCM2

Glad you’re enjoying the monitor, EllisonAlexandra. Since there’s no such thing as a perfect monitor and they’re ultimately very subjective, I’d say it’s tough to argue against giving the Gigabyte a go. 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.