Looking for a 27″ 1440p 75Hz monitor with a hard matte coating

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Momchil

Hello, I’ve returned the Dell G2724D (I still might get back to it), but now I want to try a ‘normal’ non wide color gamut IPS 27″ 1440p monitor (preferable 75Hz) with a hard matte coating. An alternative to the ProArt displays.
      Found two options… the 2020 Dell S2721D, the RTings says [8.4] for reflections, but when I google it, it looks like it has a rather light(er) matte coating. I’m a bit confused there and also I hope it doesn’t have inversion artifacts, since I can’t find such information anywhere.
      I think the newer ones, like the S2722DC/ SE2723DS might have light matte coating, so I’d want to avoid them.

And the second option: LG 27QN880-B – there is not much information, other that that it has hard matte coating (by a comment on Amazon: “Great monitor destroyed by aggressive anti-glare” and it’s a bit expensive too, because of the stand. But I already have a good desk stand.

Another one might be the 60Hz Dell P2723D, but displayspecifications.com says refresh rate 49-75Hz, also RTings reviewed the 32″ Dell P3223DE and it has light matte coating, I guess the P2723D has the same coating, so if there are no other options… gonna try the S2721D.

Yeah, me again…
      Thanks.

PCM2

Hi Momchil,

When you say “hard”, most matte surfaces are of equal hardness (3H) – but I understand you mean you want a matte surface with relatively effective glare handling. Possibly more towards a ‘heavy’ or ‘aggressive’ matte anti-glare finish – or at the very least one that’s not too light. When you say an “alternative to the ProArt displays”, which are you referring to specifically? A range of panels and hence screen surfaces are used on those. The PA278QV has what I’d classify as a ‘light’ matte anti-glare finish, it’s not particularly aggressive though not super light either.

I don’t really have experience with many models in this segment and I also find it can be tricky assessing this sort of things from other sources. The Dell S2719DM we reviewed a while back had what I’d classify as a ‘medium’ matte anti-glare surface. So pretty effective glare handling. The S2721D looks similar to that but tough to say like I said. From various photos the S2722DC it appears to have a lighter screen surface than this. The P2723D appears to have an even lighter screen surface – possibly even what I’d classify as ‘very light matte’. It’s only a 60Hz monitor at the native resolution, by the way, it only supports 75Hz at some much lower resolutions.

Momchil

Yes, by hard I mean heavy or aggressive. It is very confusing, they should stated this more clearly, for example:
          * Heavy-Anti-glare/Matte (3H)
          * Medium-Anti-glare/Matte (3H)
          * Light-Anti-glare/Matte (3H)
          And yes, an alternative to the PA278QV, but with more heavy anti-glare finish.

I prefer the matte coating of LG 27GN800-B (the only thing I liked about), which I tested and it was like my old matte monitor from 2012, but less grainy.
          So that’s why I suspect that LG 27QN880-B will use the same finish.

Also there is a ViewSonic VG2709-2K-MHD 27″ 75 Hz 1440p, which is available here in Bulgaria, but there are almost no reviews or pictures of it.
          And since ViewSonic VX2728J-2K has medium or ‘relatively light’ matte anti-glare finish, this one might use the same.

About the inversion artifacts… is it safe to say that most IPS monitors at 60/75Hz doesn’t have visible inversion artifacts?
          Now I’m worrying that Dell S2721D might also have them.

PCM2

The screen surface is almost always dictated by the panel used, it isn’t specific to the manufacturer. The screen surface is part of a panel and unless the manufacturer recoats (rare) or specifically requests a special sub-variant (not common) that doesn’t change. The VX2728J-2K uses a pretty typical modern BOE matte screen surface, so it’s not overly grainy but not overly ‘light’ and offers good glare handling. The 27GN800 also uses a BOE panel, so its screen surface is similar. The VG2709-2K-MHD may also use a BOE panel, but I haven’t seen that confirmed.

Typically native 60 – 75Hz monitors (with that refresh rate specified and running ‘out of the box) are free from ‘interlace pattern artifacts’ (inversion artifacts or scan lines). I’ve only observed them on some 60Hz monitors which you had to overclock to reach 75Hz and where they were only ever advertised as 60Hz models. And they didn’t have them at their native 60Hz.

Momchil

Thanks for the answer, I decided I want to see the S2721D, but then I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/j47wtq/fellow_dell_s2721ds_s2721d_owners_how_is_your_ips/
              It looks like it has severe IPS glow, but I can’t really say only from this picture.
              I’m wondering what kind of panel is S2721D using … if it’s an LG one?

PCM2

That extremely overexposed image taken from an unknown distance is useless. The responses to the post, most of which are positive towards the monitor and likely written by people with more realistic expectations, are more useful.

Momchil

Today I got the monitor (Dell S2721DS) for just about 230 euro. Some observations:

– First, the matte coating is almost the same as the one on the ASUS PA278QV – maybe a little more heavier than the Dell G2724D, but it’s not like the LG 27GN800; I really don’t understand why Rtings gave it better reflections score than the LG 27GN800.
                  – IPS glow is totally acceptable and on par with monitors above, I didn’t also notice any major backlight bleed;
                  – It doesn’t have static or dynamic interlace pattern artifacts at any refresh rate (48-75 Hz);
                  – Viewing angles are great, much better than the G2724D, but on par with the ASUS PA278QV;
                  – Contrast is OK. I’m able to see all of the black squares of shades with the exception of the very first and second, using the Standard preset.
                  – Can’t say much about color accuracy; I guess it’s fine for gaming and casual stuff. I reduced the Nvidia digital vibrance a bit (50% -> 45%).

I’m little disappointed by the matte coating though, the good thing is that it has no visible graininess, same as PA278QV, unlike Dell G2724D, which has some.
                  So I might try Samsung LS27A600UUUXEN, which I saw in a local store and it had a medium matte coating, with a little graininess of course.

Momchil

Hello again. Sorry if I’m being annoying, but I needed to share that.
                    Few weeks ago I’ve decided to order again Dell S2721D to compare it with the Samsung LS27A600UUUXEN side by side.
                    To my biggest surprise half of the screen was noticeable brighter than the other half. It was nothing like the first unit S2721D. Terrible gray uniformity. Returned it right away. Ordered a new one from different store – it was slightly better, but still very noticeable white patches (not a pressure points) with bad uniformity.
                    A picture: https://i.imgur.com/w0Kv9cn.jpg

Then I decided to order PA278QV again to compare it with Samsung side by side.
                    While it had a great uniformity (like the one I tested last summer), PA278QV had a slightly worse reflection handling compared to S2721D, it also has PWM flickering, which doesn’t bother me, but after spending some time watching a movie in a fully dark room with brightness set to 0, and when I close my eyes I had a remaining flickering for about 20 seconds and it goes away. No headaches. Same with the Samsung, but it didn’t happen with the Dell S2721D.
                    It also doesn’t appear that noticeable or at all if I keep the brightness for example at > 40%.
                    Or maybe it’s just me being stressed…

Also I find the blue light filter more comfortable on PA278QV than on the Samsung, maybe because the graininess is becoming a little more noticeable with the blue light filter on.

The Dell S2721D kinda grow on me, because the matte coating was so clean with minimal reflections, and it has DC dimming, but the last two units were terrible (defective I guess).

So now I’m being torn between the Samsung and ProArt PA278QV.
                    Comparing them side by side, I feel more comfortable with the cleaner matte coating on the PA278QV, without the graininess, but at the same time the reflections are a bit more distracting. I’m tempted to return both and try the S2721D again, but I’m afraid it will bad again…

Or maybe I should return both and try the Dell U2724D instead … but I might need to wait for a proper review.

PCM2

Sharing your thoughts and experiences with monitors is never annoying to me and is always welcome here, don’t worry! 🙂

It’s a difficult choice, I’m sure some S2721D will indeed be better in terms of uniformity than what you saw. But that U2724D is certainly an interesting model, I just wish Dell were being a bit more helpful with getting them out to reviewers.

Momchil

Thank you for every reply! 🙂

I suspect that U2724D will have even lighter matte coating… just like the U2723QE (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/u2723qe)
                        Can’t really tell from the available reviews on youtube. Not sure if I can tolerate a lighter than PA278QV’s matte coating.

Just for comparison, the Samsung’s matte coating vs PA278QV one: https://imgur.com/a/RsFPY7a
                        Sadly, according to Rtings, PA278QV has ~4 times more calculated direct reflections (1.8%) than S2721D (0.5%), but lower indirect reflections (2.8%) vs 3.8% (S2721D). I found S2721D dark content a bit easier than PA278QV on my eyes in a bright room 3.5×3.5m using two light bulbs (~2850lm total), but not as much as the Samsung LS27A600UUUXEN.

I wish I could just let go and stop worrying so much… maybe I should reduce the amount of light in my room and try to stick to PA278QV for a few months.

On the other hand, the Samsung (dark content) is my safe option and easier on eyes in bright room, but I guess is not for people sensitive to graininess.
                        My old monitor (which I’ve used for more than 10 years) has double the amount of graininess than this Samsung, but back in the day when I got it, it didn’t bothered me. But with that choice I might start regretting not trying to getting used to (perhaps) a better monitor.

Now I think I’ve started to prefer a graininess-free screen… especially after experienced one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.