LG 27GP850 vs LG 27GP83B

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Ovi

Hi PCM,

Love your work – not just your reviews but the articles and news pages as well. Really detailed and unique insight.

I’m interested in getting a new monitor mainly for gaming and these two have caught my eye. I know contrast isn’t the best with these Nano IPS ones, but I like the design and I have strong lighting in my room anyway. What is the difference between these two? I know the old 27GL850 and 27GL83A had different gamuts for example, but if I’m not wrong that isn’t the case here and they’re both wide gamut Nano IPS?

Thanks for your help!

PCM2

Hi Ovi,

I’m glad you appreciate the articles. 🙂 The 27GP850 is similar to the 27GP83B, but it lacks the internal 180Hz overclock (165Hz maximum) and doesn’t include USB ports. I’ve added a small note about this to the end of the news piece. It’s uses the same Nano IPS panel with 98% DCI-P3 colour gamut and it has the same features aside from those mentioned. So you can expect similar performance in many respects. I also like that you highlighted the fact you have a well-lit room to use the monitor in as that effectively counteracts the main weakness of this one. The vibrant colour output and responsiveness is something I’m sure you’ll enjoy and if you like the design that’s even better.

Ovi

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I think the 27GP850 is the one for me then.

Not for the USB, haha, don’t care about that. But I’ve got an GeForce RTX 3080 and I think 180Hz will let it stretch its legs better. I’ll wait to see if anything comes up on Prime Day but if I go for this monitor I’ll share my impressions here.

Ovi

Hi again PCM,

I ended up buying the 27GP850 and I’ve been using it for a few days when I’ve had the chance. This monitor is everything I was hoping it would be and more. My old monitor is the Dell U2414H and this is an upgrade in all ways that matters to me. I knew I liked IPS from my old monitor but always felt it was missing that vividness from a better color gamut. This one delivers that, so vivid and beautiful. Loving the resolution, great screen coating and responsiveness is amazing. I don’t have anything much to compare it to in that sense but I really have no complaints.

Having said all of this I do see what you mean about contrast. My Dell is nothing special but in a less bright room I can for sure see a difference there. Perhaps the only thing I prefer about the Dell. As I said in my first post that isn’t a problem for me. I have strong lighting in my room and have even set up a light behind the monitor now as you suggested in some of your reviews. Amazing suggestion by the way, it really helps when the room is dimmer. I like the build of the LG and it suits me visually, but I kind of like the Dell design as I’m a bit boring like that lol.

PCM2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the 27GP850, Ovi. I’m glad you’re enjoying it and also find the suggestions to help mitigate the weaker contrast useful. I had a bit of a chuckle about you also liking the design of the Dell. I can relate, I appreciate simple and unfussy designs myself as well. I don’t find the LG too obnoxious in that respect, some ‘gamery’ designs are enough to put pretty much any sane person off an otherwise decent monitor. I think the ‘gamery’ elements such as stand shape and red on the stand are done in quite a tasteful way with the LG. Kind of a signature for the Ultragear Series without offending the eyes. 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.