High refresh rate ~32″ 4K experience (FI32U, M32U, EX3210U, G3223Q and others)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    PCM2

Aside from the fact the model designation has been registered, not at the moment.

PCM2

What was originally referred to as the Acer X32S is now designated the X32 FP. Details have been corrected in my previous post here. It’s a 576-zone solution with $1800 USD RRP and a release Q2 2022 is expected. As noted in the article, details are subject to change.

JohnE

Any news on the Asus PG32UC? It sounded interesting when I read it on here, any new info on that?

PCM2

Still no news on the ASUS PG32UC or confirmation that it is actually going to materialise. It wasn’t showcased at CES 2022, though not all models planned even for near-term production do get shown off there. They had their PG32UQXE in the spotlight instead. Mini LED was very much the main theme of CES on the monitor side, with relevant models discussed in this thread. I’m still expecting the Acer XB323K as Acer appear to be keen to adopt this faster panel and with a more ‘basic’ (therefore cheaper) design without Mini LED capability. The PG32UC would be using the same panel most likely, so it is still a possibility but not a guarantee.

As I understand it the new AUO panels (Mini LED and non-Mini LED variants) might be completely ‘in house’ creations from AUO. Usually they would work with a partner such as QISDA or TPV for the backlight integration or other aspects of the panel but they seem to want to take this challenge on themselves. This might end up with a really nice product in the end with careful tuning, though could potentially delay a bit beyond even the current Q2-Q3 2022 estimates.

JohnE

Interesting, do you have any news about 32 inch OLED monitors for gaming that are on the horizon?

PCM2

No, the current high refresh rate OLED panels in production are 42″ OLED and 34″ QD-OLED and I’m not aware of current plans for anything smaller. They will come eventually, but don’t hold your breath. 😉

JohnE

I didnt know there was s 34″ oled, what model is that?

PCM2

The Dell Alienware AW3423DW (plus Samsung Odyssey G8 variant), which was covered in the thread I linked you to further up the page entitled ‘The rise of Mini LED and QD-OLED‘.

PCM2

I thought I’d already mentioned the BenQ EX3210U as a possible candidate in this thread, but seems not. This is essentially BenQ’s version of the ASUS PG32UQ, MSI MPG321UR-QD and ViewSonic XG320U, which is also based on the 32″ AUO M320QAN02.3. This isn’t a new ‘faster’ variant of the panel like some of the upcoming models – the ‘HDR600’ level ones (XB323K, PG32UC?) at this point don’t have a clear release date and seem to have taken a back seat to Mini LED alternatives. As a reminder, this AUO panel has a QD LED backlight and offers a wider colour gamut (much greater Adobe RGB, greater DCI-P3) than models using the 31.5″ Innolux M315DCA-K7B, plus offers a higher level of HDR support (VESA DisplayHDR 600 vs. 400).

The models with Innolux panel (M32U, FI32U, XB323QK NV etc.) still offer some local dimming, which isn’t required for VESA DisplayHDR 400 but still offered; luminance is more limited so it’s less ‘dynamic’ still. Neither HDR level is fantastic by any means and the 16 dimming zones both solutions provides is very limited, but an edge still goes to the models with AUO panels due to the more appropriate gamut for HDR and higher peak luminance. The wider colour gamut can also be useful for work (or viewing) within that colour space or for people who like particularly strong vibrancy, whereas the gamut of the Innolux models will suit those who like a dose of extra saturation for sRGB content without the same oversaturation and overdone look to some shades (some greens looking too neon, strong red push to some browns and skin tones etc.) Models with the Innolux panel are ‘Eyesafe’ certified, with shifted blue peak to make it less energetic and potentially improve viewing comfort – the AUO panel doesn’t offer that. The Innolux panel is also faster, so in the way we’d assess it has less ‘powdery’ trailing particularly for transitions involving darker shades. That AUO panel is still a fair bit faster than the PG32UQX‘s AUO M320DAN02.2, however.

And just to add some further points from another thread where somebody was considering a few of these ~32″ ‘4K’ UHD models.

Both the EX3210U and M32U have their merits and with those specific models in mind I’d also add the BenQ has the somewhat more ‘solid’ build quality. Not to say the Gigabyte is ‘bad’ in that respect, but the stand base is particularly basic on that one as it’s hollowed-out plastic with a metal bottom plate. The screen itself is solid enough. For PS5 usage a small thing to note is that the Gigabyte uses DSC for its full capability (full ‘4:4:4’ signal) which the PS5 doesn’t support, so you’d be limited to 4:2:0 reduced chroma. On the BenQ it achieves the full 4:4:4 without DSC over HDMI 2.1. I say small thing because I know this can be unattractive on paper, but in practice it’s very difficult to tell the difference between ‘4:2:0’ and ‘4:4:4’ signal when gaming or watching movie content. And I really think the M32U stands out for its price, whilst the edge in pixel responsiveness should provide an experience more akin to what you’ve been experiencing on the EX2710Q than the EX3210U would. It depends on your sensitivity as they’re both pretty decent in that respect, even though the Gigabyte does have an edge. We’ll shortly be reviewing the M32U, so that will give an even better idea of what to expect from that model.

PCM2

Another quick mention in this thread goes to the Dell G3223Q, which is based on the AUO M320QAN02.C. According to some information I’ve received (see edit below) this looks to be a bit faster than the M320QAN02.3 in terms of pixel response behaviour. You get a full 32″ screen size and VESA DisplayHDR 600 support, but the gamut is sort of intermediate between the AUO and Innolux panels mentioned earlier in this thread. This review (Chinese language) measured ~133% sRGB coverage. Some of the measurements there are relative rather than absolute coverage, which means there’ll be a lot of under-coverage not solely reflected there. But at 8:16 the reviewer confirms 94.6% DCI-P3 and 90% Adobe RGB for absolute coverage. This tallies with Dell’s claim of 95% DCI-P3 (absolute) coverage and not wanting to explicitly mention Adobe RGB coverage, which they’d usually only do if it comfortably exceeds 90% (absolute) coverage. Like the Innolux panel there’s a shifted peak of blue light, indicated by the TÜV Rheinland certified hardware solution for Low Blue Light (LBL). Might not be shifted as much as with ‘Eyesafe’, but it’s still a consideration.

Edit: Added some information on the Dell G3223Q from this Japanese review.

– 461.1 cd/m² maximum brightness and 31.8 cd m/m² minimum brightness with OSD brightness adjustment. Excellent brightness adjustment range.

– 680 cd/m² peak and sustained luminance measured under HDR. 8 dimming zones confirmed as vertical bands running from left to right, active when operating in the ‘DisplayHDR 600’ mode. This is a low number of dimming zones for a VESA DisplayHDR 600 model and offers limited precision.

– 89% Adobe RGB and 92% DCI-P3 measured with KSF phosphor backlight and shifted (less energetic) blue peak of >456nm as expected from ‘Low Blue Light (Hardware Solution)’ and ‘ComfortView Plus’ marketing.

– ‘Creator Mode’ must be used for accurate ‘2.2’ gamma tracking. Otherwise it’s closer to ‘2.4’ gamma (can vary between units). The ‘Creator Mode’ doesn’t allow colour channel adjustment but includes a colour space option for sRGB (emulation setting).

– Pixel responsiveness appears some way between models using the M320QAN02.3 (PG32UQ etc.) and Innolux models (M32U etc.)

– It appears to have good low input lag, except in 60Hz where it has a frame of input lag (~16ms).

As of May 12th 2022, RTINGS has also reviewed the G3223Q – a few points of note here.

PCM2

Our review of the Gigabyte M32U has been published. I don’t have much to add to the comparison made just above, though I would say that even though it has the same number of dimming zones as some of the models with AUO panels they aren’t very dynamic at all. Not just in terms of the brightness being more limited in comparison, but they only ever dimmed to 0.17 cd/m² even for pure black. Which is similar to the black point with the monitor set to 40% brightness. I also measured 87% DCI-P3 which falls way short of the AUO offerings in that respect. I think it’s a very competitively priced product with well-balanced performance and some will really appreciate the native gamut which adds a bit of extra saturation and ‘pop’ without taking things to the extreme.

Demonize

Hey PCM,

Just wanted to check in and say how much I appreciate all that you do. Your reviews and all the comparisons you do here are invaluable. You’ve guided several of my monitor purchases in the past and I’ve been super happy with all your recommendations. Love lurking here to absorb all the information even if I’m not looking to buy at the moment. 😀

PCM2

You’re very welcome, Demonize. I’m glad you enjoy the content and have found the reviews and comparisons useful. Hope you’re still enjoying your XB323U GP. 🙂

Demonize

Yes I am thank you! My next upgrade from this will come with a new GPU upgrade and I will be looking at the 4K monitors like you cover in this thread. I’ll want to at least match the vibrancy and responsiveness of the Acer but I think I’m ready for really high-end HDR. Or maybe an OLED if they’re available in the size and resolution I want when I’m ready to upgrade.

EsaT

That XB323U has AU Optronics panel with very wide also AdobeRGB covering gamut.
                                  Not sure if other panel manufacturers than AUO have such wide gamut panels.
                                  At least LG, who used to make such wide gamut panels, can’t anymore get over lacking in greens/cyan DCI-P3.
                                  (overhyped DCI-P3 loses in vibrancy of foliage/vegetation and water colours)

AUO has had equal gamut 4K panels for like year or so.
                                  But currently available one like in Asus PG32UQ/Viewsonic XG320U has mediocre response times from half dozen years ago.

There’s now also newer panel expected to have modern response times with monitors announced in CES.
                                  Acer X32 FP is one of the known monitors using it and expected to come out this quarter. (marketing video came out in start of month)

I’m myself waiting for it (and hoping decent availability) to finally replace 8 years 4 months old Dell U3014.
                                  (also AdobeRGB gamut)

For OLED/self emissive pixel tech there’s no idea when we’re going to have high refresh rate modern resolution monitors.
                                  LG has been selling those very reasonably priced 120Hz WOLED TVs left and right.
                                  But their only OLED PC monitor is retro 60Hz one and rape and robbery priced.
                                  (also white subpixel of WOLED limits gamut)
                                  That would have left open field for Samsung to grab markets with their better in couple aspects QD-OLED.
                                  But instead of proper high end monitor, Samsung’s fashion marketroids made only ultra low screen hogging 36″ monitor worth of desk space for measly 27″ image height.

PCM2

RTINGS has now reviewed the G3223Q and using their methodology it appeared to be largely in-line with the M32U for pixel responsiveness. Though the ‘Fast’ setting is optimal throughout the VRR range, there is a bit of overshoot for transitions involving darker shades at lower refresh rates (60Hz measured). So a single overdrive mode experience, but some enforced overshoot there. They confirmed a higher signal delay at 60Hz, meaning input lag is raised significantly.

They also confirmed that the local dimming used for HDR is poor, not just because it is limited to 8 zones but because the zones are pretty unreactive and are usually very shy about dimming much even for large masses of very dark content. With this model the DisplayHDR 600 capability is a lot of what you’re paying for* over the M32U, in my view, and it doesn’t really provide a good experience there. It does give some extra pulses of brightness and would work well for brighter scenes, perhaps, but it’s really quite limited and certainly reinforces the fact not all monitors are equal even at the same VESA DisplayHDR level. Further points from a variety of reviews in this post. I consider the Gigabyte the better option for 60Hz or lower refresh rates (due to input lag and lack of enforced overshoot) but it’s a wash at higher refresh rates in terms of responsiveness. It also offers superior gamma tracking compared to the Dell, outside of the latter’s ‘Creator Mode’ which locks off colour channels.

*That’s based on regular (i.e. non-sale) US pricing where the Gigabyte is significantly cheaper than the Dell – in other regions or depending on sale prices the Dell may be the cheaper option so is certainly worth strong consideration.

ryobg

Hello all,

I have reached some point where I would like to upgrade from my old Asus PG27AQ.
                                      I mostly work, but also occasionally game and watch video. Things which I have put as a must are:

* 32″ 3840×2160 (4k, UHD)
                                      * Non-curved as I do some CAD-like work sometimes
                                      * 120 Hz+
                                      * Freesync premium pro, adaptive sync or whatever amd gpu compatible sync will do too
                                      * Display Port (I don’t care about hdmi and console gaming)

Very nice to have:

* Good colour coverage, as I do sometimes and texture editing (I have i1 colour calibrator)
                                      * I feel like simping for nice HDR

I don’t think OLED techs are suitable at all. Sometimes I use the same app for hours and these pixels will burn out quickly. Ideally, I would like not to upgrade in the next 5-7 years.

Due to the supply issues I have hard time to find some models, but so far I have several models which seem to fit inside my wishlist:

* ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQ (nice colour, slower)
                                      * MSI MPG321UR-QD Xbox Edition (nice colour, slower)
                                      * BENQ MOBIUZ EX3210U (ditto, but lower quality from what I read?)

* Dell G3223Q (faster, so-so colour, also ~1/3 cheaper and I can buy locally i.e. risk free)

* ViewSonic XG321UG (read nice things, that will be a loong stretch for my finances)
                                      * AOC PD32M (on paper is nice, but hardly any reviews and these found are mostly negative, somewhat expensive too)

From the upcoming monitors, I think only the X32 FP or the PG32UQXE monitors would be suitable. Which will be likely available in few months.

In general, I’m fine investing a bit more as money (xg321ug, pd32m) as long I somehow get a really good quality for the next 5-7 years at least.

What would be side perspective on my situation?
                                      Thank you.

P.S. Kudos for the professional forum.

PCM2

Hi ryobg and welcome,

I appreciate the kind words – I’m glad you’ve found the forum useful and I can see from your post and you’ve got a good grasp of the possible options. I’ve moved your post over to a more specific thread which is well worth reading through given the models you’re considering. Your post is very well-timed as I’m currently reviewing the BenQ EX3210U and have had some of these comparisons in my mind whilst doing so. With your preferences in mind I certainly feel the wider colour gamut of the AUO panel models with QD LED backlights would be best. The Dell G3223Q simply can’t match their DCI-P3 coverage and certainly not their Adobe RGB or Rec. 2020 coverage. I really see it more as a competitor with the Gigabyte M32U. It also compares more closely with that in terms of pixel responsiveness (which is good) and although it’s VESA DisplayHDR 600 certified, it only has a mere 8 dimming zones. Which is frankly a shockingly low zone count for a monitor even at this middling tier of HDR. Sure it has good brightness, but at least a doubling of zone count as the alternatives offer will help a lot with the dimmer parts of the image.

This thread focuses on a comparison between the EX3210U and MPG321UR-QD. So overall I think both of these models have their pros and cons and either one could be suitable. The PG32UQ is more similar to the MSI than BenQ if anything, though if user reviews are anything to go by the QC on this one may be rather questionable (more so than the BenQ, perhaps). Depending on price and availability it could be a consideration, though. I certainly feel the models with FALD backlight solutions you mentioned would offer you a significantly enhanced HDR experience. But whether you’re willing to pay for that is another matter. The AOC PD32M is a good example of how dimming zone count is not the be all and end all, though – the algorithm is poorly tuned so there’s significant ‘blooming’, a lack of overall reactivity to the zones and flickering to boot. The ViewSonic XG321UG is largely like a cheaper version of the PG32UQX we’ve reviewed. So you do sacrifice a fair bit of pixel responsiveness for the strong HDR performance. The X32 FP and PG32UQXE will be based on a significantly faster panel – even with the reduced zone count, the HDR performance will be in a different league to the 16 dimming zone solutions. I haven’t heard anything more about the PG32UQXE since it was announced back at CES this year. As for the Acer, I understand from my contacts in Taiwan that release has been constrained to the Asian market for the moment. It appears it may not land elsewhere until later in the year or early next year. There appears to be some issues with ramping up production of that particular panel, but in the meantime they’re using the user base there to generate feedback and tweak firmware before wider release.

ryobg

It was a delight to read your informative reply – thank you.

You definitely have shifted my bias toward BenQ EX3210U. While I’m not a pixel response player, nor have use of the built in speakers, the competitive features to the MSI MPG321UR-QD and ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQ models were really nice to hear about. I will seek to choose one of these.

I was considering Dell G3223Q but reading through some of your links changed my mind to go with better panel. I don’t believe we will get a nice HDR panels in the next few years. Current top models are expensive and unstable tech. The upcoming ones, might be faster and with bit better HDR, but the latter will be still mediocre. Considering and how a lot of consumer production still relies on smaller color spaces, I think we are still in the beginning. I expect several years more, until HDR and enhanced color spaces become stable and more mainstream. Until then, I will prepare with average, but stable, contemporary monitor.

Godspeed.

EsaT

ViewSonic XG320U would be another with same AU Optronics panel as Asus PG32UQ and that MSI.
                                            For slower paced gaming those should work.

New AUO panel in Acer X32 FP should bring response times to modern level.
                                            Also real FALD backlight would be improvement.
                                            Those handfull segments backlights are pretty much scams:
                                            https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/ihvfyd/the_lg_27gn950_is_awesome_but_hdr_600_is_pretty/
                                            Simply no amount of tuning will make that actually functional.

As for OLED that definitely isn’t really good prospect for long term usage with static program windows.
                                            Samsung’s QD-OLED would improve on that with higher efficiency/brightness giving lower stress for same brightness.
                                            But there are no proper high end monitor panels with that tech.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.