Dell Alienware AW3225QF (Review)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Weissrolf

Thanks for the review!

I ordered the Dell, but delivery times are up to 4 weeks. It combines multiple potential disadvantages of OLEDs in general and the Dell in particular, so it will allow me to check that all at once (compared to my Acer X32 FP).

– OLED brightness, or lack thereof. Even more so with logo detection being enforced in all but the creative modes.
      – Glossy, especially combined with low fullscreen brightness. I like to use my monitor during the daytime with daylight coming in through a high window.
      – Cleartype text clarity, especially for non black/white text/backgrounds.
      – Fan noise. Not being passively cooled is a turn-off, especially with my overall no/low noise setup. Coil whine, especially in HDR, is also something to check out.
      – (Mild) Curve. I found that I tend to OCD trying to keep the outer edges of the flat 32″ Acer at equal distance to my eyes, so a mild curve might be rather welcome if it doesn’t turn straight lines too much into – tada – curves. šŸ˜‰
      – VRR stability, dropouts and flickering. The Acer usually doesn’t suffer from flickering, but framerate stability and DSC enabled dropouts can be problematic.
      – DSC (cannot be disabled on the Dell) vs. MPO (is disabled with DSC on the Acer) vs. VRR (causes dropouts with NVidia GSync on the Acer).
      – Stability of the stand, wobbling and vibration on the table while typing on the keyboard.
      – Power consumption and corresponding heat production. OLED doesn’t seem very efficient at high brightness and I don’t like to have too much of a heater in my room in summer.
      – Image retention when using the monitor for *everything*, aka up to 16 hours on-time per day with many static elements.

PCM2

I’m glad you liked the AW3225QF review – and I look forward to your take on it and how you feel it compares to your X32 FP. And which drawbacks you find easier to live with. šŸ˜€

Rakni

Hi Weissrolf,

I came from the X32FP and had a few of your concerns myself.

Brightness was my biggest concern but it seems like a non issue after a week with the AW3225QF. The monitor is absolutely bright enough for my use cases (working with code, gaming, media consumption)

The anti glare coating is at least on the level of the X32 (if not a little above because of the curve)

The text clarity is on paar with my X32. Even with coloured text on black background (console work in my case)

The fan is inaudible in my office and I have no coil whine

I forgot about the curve after an hour with the display and I used it with Fusion 360 for 3D models that I print with my 3D printer (no professional stuff, but the curve was not a problem). Furthermore the curve helps with reflections in my case because I have a big window to the right of my workplace and it feels like the light is not shining straight on my monitor like it did on the non-curved X32.

The AW flickering is worse than on the X32 but I only notice it in loading screens and not in games or other media while movements happen. Also you get rid of the mini led flickering in starfield scenarios.

I canā€™t comment on DSC, itā€™s a non issue for
          My use cases.

I had no VRR dropouts

The stand is sturdy and does not wobble but I put the monitor on my monitor arm after the initial tests.

It feels like my X32 got a lot warmer than my AW but itā€™s just ā€œfeeling observationā€ not a measured one

Image retention is something I have to wait and see. Letā€™s hope for the best

Happy to hear about your take on the monitor after you receive it.

PCM2

Good feedback. Just one thing to note ā€“ the AW3225QF doesnā€™t have an anti-glare surface. It is glossy with an anti-reflective finish.

Rakni

Thanks, anti reflective was what I meant šŸ™‚

sblantipodi

Is there any better in the Dell when compared to the MSI non curved one?

What is the luminance you use for daily usage?
                120cd/m2? 160? 250?

PCM2

Regional pricing differences, aesthetics and Dolby Vision support and if they could sway somebody towards the Dell. And for some people the curve is actually a plus point.

Rakni

And donā€™t forget the service and support aspect. Dell is in another league compared to MSI and Asus. I bought it because it was cheaper, was available and has better service than the other manufacturers. Just take a look how many firmware updates got released by dell compared to the other two.

For work I use my monitor at 55% brightness in a bright room. For gaming and private stuff 100% brightness all the way :p

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.