BenQ PD3200u but 144hz?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    DiegoSynth

Dear forum members,

Let me take a moment to thank and congratulate the fantastic work put on this site, the attention to detail, responsiveness, will to help, professionalism, and more!

Background:
      I’m currently having since November a BenQ PD3200u and I’ve been really very very happy with it since day 1. Prior this, I had bought a Dell S3221QS, but it wasn’t for me. The ghosting, light bleeding and uneven colour across the panel made it impossible for me, so I luckily changed it for the BenQ. I didn’t know BenQ brand at all, and it blew my mind.

Current situation:
      The issue came while gaming. I have been lately noticing a huge blurriness / mess anytime I move the mouse (camera) mainly in first person games. No matter how slow I move it. I’ve also perceive ghosting in moving objects (rendered twice) with static camera, but that doesn’t really bother me. My issue is that (maybe lately I’m more tired than usual, getting older, or something) when moving the mouse (camera) I get dizziness during that second. This is even more accentuated when having foliage or similar little details on screen:
      example recorded with phone

I have compared on the site the UFO test between 60hz and 144hz and I believe that explains the issue.

Monitor requirements:
      I use the screen mainly for 3D modelling, animation, occasionally photo editing, normal web / home usage, and videogaming. I must say I’m not a competitive gamer, usually play offline, single player games (adventures, FPS, horror, etc.)
      After trying the Dell, I realized curved is not for me, as straight lines in 3D modelling or Photoshop, become curved on the screen! 🙂 Colours, uniformity, sharpness; low IPS glow and light bleed are important to me. VA is a no go to me. OLED because of price and burnout probably won’t fit either.

I’m not really knowledgeable of the different technical details among panels, nor have any tool to measure anything (just ruler :)), but I’m starting to think about a monitor with 144hz or so. As I like the BenQ PD3200u so much, a clone of it with higher hz would be ideal for me, hence I searched for BenQ and found the EX3210U. But I have no idea how it compares to the BenQ PD3200u apart from the frequency, of course. I see the numbers (constrast, colours, etc.) but I’m not educated enough to understand them. I’ve seen the contrast on the EX3210U is poor, but much worse than on the BenQ PD3200u?
      Would you recommend any other instead? (Not much higher price, please). And if you consider changing is not a good idea, that’s acceptable as well (in all honesty I would love if you told me something like “HDMI cable instead of mini DP will reduce the blur!” or bring some magical lotion instead of having to change, but I’m realistic as well).

Thank you very much!!!
      Diego

PCM2

Hi Diego and welcome,

The main difference you would readily observe between something like the BenQ PD3200U and BenQ EX3210U, aside from hopefully noticing and enjoying that extra refresh rate, is the much wider native colour gamut of the EX3210U. The PD3200U extends just a little beyond sRGB and the EX3210U extends massively beyond it, inviting a lot of extra vibrancy (and oversaturation) of standard sRGB content as described in the review. You can use sRGB emulation to cut that down on the BenQ EX3210U, or if you’re calibrating the monitor and using colour-aware applications it won’t cause an oversaturated representation.

The contrast on both models is very similar, you can’t separate them based on that. When it comes to things like backlight bleed and clouding, that is not a brand-specific thing and can even vary significantly between units of the same model. So although the EX3210U may be a monitor you really like and is a great replacement, try not to put too much weight on brand when it comes to the positive experience of one model vs. another very different model. You could also consider the Gigabyte M32U which is a model we recommend (in the gaming section, but it’s versatile). I’d say it’s a step down in build quality over the BenQ models (certainly from the PD3200U), but it is very well-priced, has very slightly stronger contrast (don’t expect a huge difference in the experience there, though) and a colour gamut that’s some way between your current PD3200U and the EX3210U. There are some further thoughts on it over in this thread.

DiegoSynth

Thank you so much for your fast and detailed answer!

I didn’t know the BenQ EX3210U has wider colour gamut. I’ve read your article, and now I understand it’s a “yes, but…” situation. Nevertheless, from what I grasp, if the oversaturation can be easily handled with the software (AMD / NVidia) you showcased, then it wouldn’t be much of an issue, but more like a “feature”…

The Gigabyte M32U is at a lower price indeed, and although its aesthetics and apparent lower sturdiness are a bit of a turn off to me, I won’t discard it.

BenQ EX3210U was heavily discounted until YESTERDAY *facepalm*, but I’ll most probably go for it as soon as I have the chance again.

Thanks again for your great guidance on this; this is an amazing website, and I’ll definitely stick around in the future!

P.S.: I believe you’ve accidentally linked another monitor model (M32Q) while referring to the Gigabyte M32U. I’ve realized, but future readers may be confused 🙂

Mod Edit: Have corrected this link, thanks for pointing that out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.