Any thoughts on the AOC Agon AG325QZN

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    djkrisdee

I’m looking for 32 inch 1440p 144hz+ VA monitor with good response time, and minimal black smearing.
      HDR isn’t important as it’s still a mess on PC. I’m just gonna run it in SDR 120cd/m2 max and enjoy deep blacks without blooming.
      I was thinking about Odyssey G6 because the price dropped now to £370, but I was told that these monitors have too many issues, like scanlines or flickering. Also I never seen good uniformity on curve panels.

Looks like now we may have new, flat, 240hz, 90%DCI-P3, VA panel.
      AOC Agon AG325QZN/EU cost £440

PCM2

It’s certainly an interesting option given the use of a flat VA panel and I agree the Samsung has many reported issues which can make it undesirable. If the AOC were available in the US I’d actually be inclined to review it, but unfortunately it isn’t at the moment. So I have no experience with it and I haven’t had any direct user feedback on it either. What I can say is that AOC generally tunes their monitors well with a good range of pixel overdrive settings and whilst I can’t promise the responsiveness will be at the level of say the Odyssey G7, I would expect it to still perform well for the panel type. If you did buy it I’d be very interested in your thoughts. 🙂

P.S. I realise there isn’t a news piece on this model (it’s due to the lack of US availability where the vast majority of our supporting users are based). But if you wish to support the website feel free to use one of the other links and then browse to it from there, if you wish to buy from Amazon.

djkrisdee

I just found professional review from Germany.
          https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/monitore/61577-aoc-agon-ag325qzn-im-test-va-gamer-mit-32-zoll-und-240-hz.html?start=4

Looks like the panel isn’t fast enough for 240hz, but could still perform great 60-175hz?
          Response times
          4200:1 contrast on plat panel sounds great.

PCM2

Based on those response times, I wouldn’t call that a “great” performance for 175Hz as you will still get some ‘smeary’ trailing with darker shades involved. But that performance is still reasonable for a VA panel, the weaknesses are much less widespread than on something like the ViewSonic XG341C-2K we recently reviewed. It’s a bit weaker than the AOC 25G3ZM but is closer to that than say the ViewSonic. The 25G3ZM is covered in this thread and that should be a useful reference for what to expect from the AG325QZN in terms of motion performance (more or less).

djkrisdee

Honestly I only care about 60-120hz, and 25G3ZM looks decent in that range for VA panel.
              I don’t fully understand how to read Hardwareluxx results, but they also tested M32UC, and from what I understand AG325QZN perform better.

M32UC in overdrive Picture Quality mode, the Average Initial Time is reduced to 9.38 ms, while at the same time the RGB overshoot increases to just 0.03. This is tested @120hz.

AG325QZN in overdrive medium, the response time is reduced to 6.07 ms without any overshoot, but this is tested @240hz.

Looking at Rtings comparison of M32UC vs Odyssey G6 at 60hz and 120hz Gigabyte monitor doesn’t have terrible black smearing?

M32UC vs Odyssey G6 60hz
              M32UC vs Odyssey G6 120hz

One thing I’m worried about is that AG325QZN may have overshoot @60hz because even with overdrive disabled, the panel achieves a response time of 6.94 ms.

I will probably try AG325QZN from Amazon, and if not happy with performance, can return easily.

PCM2

The RTINGS pursuit photo is very limited in the range of transitions it shows, the background is nowhere near dark enough to show the clearest VA weaknesses. Nonetheless the M32UC is a decent performer and as such a bit of an improvement over that puts the AG325QZN firmly in the “decent to good VA performance” camp. I agree seeing for yourself and returning if not satisfied would be a good solution. 🙂

djkrisdee

Today I spend some time on 24″ 1080p IPS monitor, and I decided that I’m not going back to so low PPI.
                  I think I’m going to wait for AOC Q27G3XMN. This monitor is looking very promising with that CSOT SG2701G02-2 panel, 4000:1, 98%P3, 336 dimming zones.
                  $309.99 is almost a steal.

PCM2

It is indeed an exceptional price for the feature set. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.