Acer Nitro 28inch XV282K USB-C + USB hub/kvm

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    goodroot

Hey!

Fantastic site with excellent information.

Thank you.

Considering this monitor but looking for clarity re: upstream USB.

If you connect the USB peripherals, do you need to return them up stream all the time?

Or can you use the charging USB-C and not need upstream?

If using HDMI 2.1, do you need upstream?

Ultimately I am wondering if I have a console attached and a macbook, the Macbook via usb-c/thunderbolt and the console via HDMI 2.1, is the upstream USB connection required?

Cheers!

PCM2

Hi there goodroot,

I’m glad you like the information on the website. The upstream data transfer is just one function of the USB-C port on the XV282K KV – and the only function of the USB-B port which is the other upstream-capable USB port. The other function of the USB-C port is to provide power (65W PD) and act as a display signal (DP Alt Mode). You can use the port to charge even if you don’t wish to use it for other purposes. You can also use the USB-A ports (regular USB 3.0 ports) for charging purposes (slowly) without any data transfer.

So if you had a Macbook connected via USB-C it wouldn’t stop you from just using the other USB ports to charge devices for example. You’d only need to connect something to the USB-B port of the monitor if you wanted to make use of the KVM functionality of the monitor to switch peripherals (connected by USB-A) between your Macbook and games console. You could also set USB-B as upstream in the OSD even if you’re not using the port, if you wanted to make sure the USB-C (Macbook) wasn’t being used for upstream data transfer.

Hopefully that addresses your question, if not I apologise as I must admit USB isn’t really a key area of interest or expertise of mine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.